The Official MTG Snowstorm/Lore Thread

Welcome to the MTG flake/lore thread!
Last Thread:Previously: Flake fights breathe new life into old cancer.

Writefagging last time: Ha.

If you want ANYTHING to go in the repo, just summon me. Otherwise I will only put writefagging and sheets in the repo.

Also, I added the blank template to the ALL FLAKESHEETS folder. And the old snowsheets are under "Snowstorm sheets" > "1- ALL FLAKE SHEETS."

To summon me simply say
>OP OP, I SUMMON THEE. PLACE THIS FILE IN THE REPOSITORY.
Unless that's too gay.

>Current Repository

drive.google.com/open?id=0Bwl7IuoVRkFxUDZRVGVfQ1BDbm8

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxSGtOeUVMbkhzX2c
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxeGNxV1lNa2g1eWc
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxSUo2UzlsSjVtWkE
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxRnJ6eklUd3IzV28
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxQXh2Nnphb3lFbEE
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxTWVBMmQ0YUhkdTQ
drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxYXU5eG05bmtxR0k/view?usp=sharing
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxTE5BSjVEU1FDa1U
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxREIyQjl5QU5mbU0
strawpoll.me/11121142
strawpoll.me/11121143
strawpoll.me/11121144
strawpoll.me/11121145
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxenE1UEJWb2hNZzQ
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxWkZTU1lMdzd6aXc
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxUHlESmc5QlBVeDA
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxOUk0dzBxeWpoT2M
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxWE9PeHdzdnRhY1U
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxaS1vaUJjUjZhanc
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxR3RDdFkxa3lPU0U
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxMXBoWDBKUzhFQjg
strawpoll.me/11121316
strawpoll.me/11121315
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxUHZRTi00UmJNYUU
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxMEdYNjJWR0l4TUU
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxOXpuNmlkNWo4NDg
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxbFRna3B2R0JiaU0
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxNGpzUElOQTd2OEU
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxSmo3dG95RWNLT2M
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxaTdZREJWS2FnVDA
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxMmVPbFc3czYwMEE
strawpoll.me/11121429
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I leave you guys alone for ten minutes and you tie up one of the contests? What's that all about?

the angel and devil parallel is too good
you may have to tiebreaker it yourself

How goes recovering your Steam?

Also

If it comes to a tie I'd give it to Laurela, Cala doesn't seem well suited to a stand up fight, while her opponent is an angel.

If that tie isn't broken in the next seven minutes, I will break it personally.

If you haven't voted, then vote.

It's back in my shitty hands. The time it was spent stolen is the only time my account has ever played CS:GO. Fucking Russians.

Already done, friendo. Time to expire.

Cala herself may not be up for a standup fight, but I bet she could swarm Laurela with summoned devils. Picture, if you will, a zerg rush.

Time's up. I have elected to break the tie in the first battle via virtual coin flip in order to remain impartial. The flakes of this segment moving onto Round Two are as follows:

>Cala
>Emile
>Sydhar
>Inzhu

The next bunch of flakes are as follows, and I have no recommendations for disqualifications:

>Anastasia
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxSGtOeUVMbkhzX2c

>Cadros
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxeGNxV1lNa2g1eWc

>Iosha
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxSUo2UzlsSjVtWkE

>Kathos
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxRnJ6eklUd3IzV28

>Naran
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxQXh2Nnphb3lFbEE

>Ussa
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxTWVBMmQ0YUhkdTQ
drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxYXU5eG05bmtxR0k/view?usp=sharing

>Evantu
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxTE5BSjVEU1FDa1U

>Tien Sheng
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxREIyQjl5QU5mbU0

If I hear no recommendations for disqualification within the next 10 minutes, I will reveal the match-ups.

kathos gon get dunked on, poor guy. What is it with the money guys and just not having the brawn?
but for real, none seem up for disqualification.

Iosha has an interplanar ship which Graveborn proved isn't kosher post mending.
Naran is another "ignore the plot of DTK" flake

Just under the wire with that one, I almost started the match-ups.

Does anyone else want to weigh in on this?

isn't Iosha working on the lgoic that whatever venser was doing might have succeeded? IIRC, wizards hasn't given confirmation on that, but Koth seemed to think it would have. I mean, I'll support disqualifying graveborn because he breaks more than just that, but planar ships are still a subject of relevance in the story, they just haven't confirmed or denied anything about them yet.

While Iosha's ship is lore-breaking, she herself is not. If we just remove her ship from the equation and keep her artifice, she's perfectly kosher.

I'm not done reading Naran yet.

As a reminder, flakes are assumed to begin with no set-up and pre-summons when these battles begin.

Naran interacts a bit too closely with canon, for my taste. I'll leave it to your discretion.

That was suggested in the flake point, replace it with a bag of holding, but she chose to keep the airship in in her current section.

Having read the discussions, I think that we will be fine with no disqualifications. The match-ups are as follows:

>Anastasia VS Tien Sheng
>Ussa VS Cadros
>Evantu VS Iosha
>Kathos VS Naran

BEGIN DISCUSSION! POLLS WILL BE UP SHORTLY!

Anastasia vs Tien Sheng is pic related
Ussa fucks Cadros into submission
Iosha wins
Kathos wins.

Since we're in a new thread, I will re-post the rules of the Ice Age:

>During each round, flakes will be assigned to random opponents in single-elimination tournament fashion.
>Flakes will be treated as though they are all neowalkers in order to create a balance of power.
>Flakes with meme-levels of power will be treated as though they weren’t.
>Flakes that directly contradict lore, especially by going against or interacting inappropriately with canon characters, will be disqualified.
>Flakes that are joke or troll flakes will be disqualified. The use of silver-bordered cards in a flake’s preferred spell list automatically disqualifies them.

>During the first round, all flakes will be placed into the roster randomly. Flakes that are disqualified will give their random opponents a bye for the round.
>During the first round, flakes will be revealed in smaller groups, noting disqualifications and asking the thread if they wish to disqualify anyone else.

>During each round, small groups of flake match-ups will be revealed
>Arguments and votes will be taken from the thread over which flake is likely to prevail over the other.
>After each round, the flakes that move on will be re-randomized on the roster to make match-ups unpredictable.

>Match-Up rules will treat both competing flakes in a match as though they are both forced into conflict with the other, and neither is allowed to planeswalk away until a winner is determined. Flakes will be treated as though they start with zero assisting summons and will not have prepared for this encounter.

Hmmm.

>Anastasia VS Tien Sheng
Well, Sheng is clearly more experienced in combat, but Anastasia has probability manipulation. If Tien Sheng had some of his army with him (since that's his big thing) I'd give it to him. But 1v1, chaos powers are just a bit op. Anastasia takes it.

>Ussa Vs Cadros
I've gotta give it to Cadros. Ussa has some excellent hypnosis powers, but she's really not proven herself in a fight.

>Evantu VS Iosha
Iosha is a great artificer, but Evantu is a highly trained physical combatant. I think it'd be close, but in the end, Evantu would take it. Training counts for a lot.

>Kathos VS Naran
Probably Naran. She has a wider repertoire of spells. Also, poor Kathos is just a jeweler.

Polls! Vote while it's hot!

strawpoll.me/11121142
strawpoll.me/11121143
strawpoll.me/11121144
strawpoll.me/11121145

Tian Sheng has his fight down as far as I can tell, Anastasia seems to be too, well, vanilla to be of note and I'm simply not convinced her skills in chaos can beat his selection.
Even if she can do 150% of a normal fighter's power 50% of the time, Tian's got 100% 100% of the time.

In Ussa's fight, while she lacks diversity good god does she have power in her summons. Hypnosis or not, Gaea's revenge is something you just don't throw normal people at.

Evantu might as well be a top-tier flake with all his power, Iosha's neat but can't match whatever the fuck he is. He's a monster, she's a woman with a boat.

Naran wins their fight, Kathos just likes shiny moneys, I don't even think he can throw a punch, let alone a powerful combat spell beyond gild.

Kathos is a jeweler, not a fighter. Poor dude's done
Unless his age is catching up to him, Tien Sheng has got this one for being a general from edgy proto-Tarkir.
Ussa is lazy but terrifyingly strong. Plus her summons are huge. I'd give it to her, but it'd be close
Iosha just seems like she'd win to me.

Why Iosha? While I do like her and her powerset, I don't think it can topple the thing Evantu is, what's your reasoning?

>strawpoll.me/11121142
SHE'S ON A BOAT MOTHERFUCKER
THIS AS REAL AS IT GETS!

Some are close, some are not.

TEN MINUTE CALL, FOLKS.
Make your last arguments and votes, because in ten minutes, I am calling the winners and revealing the next bunch of flakes!

hehe, someone had a poll highlighted

what are you calling the winners? bad names?

My main difference is experience. While he has a fuckton of spells, he seems more interested in training than anything.

Iosha also claims to be fighting phyrexia somewhere. That's always notable.

IN THE BEDROOM WITH NISHAL
DAILY
NIGHTLY
EVER SO RIGHTLY

fair enough. While I still think the nature of the creature that Evantu is makes him a higher tier of power than most, Iosha's skill would definitely not make it an easy fight.

Dude, Evantu is just a highly trained human monk. Don't let his pic fool you.

Time's up, folks! The following flakes will move onto Round Two:
>Anastasia
>Ussa
>Iosha
>Naran

The next bunch of flakes going in are as follows:

>Terut
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxenE1UEJWb2hNZzQ

>Gotyr
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxWkZTU1lMdzd6aXc

>Double
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxUHlESmc5QlBVeDA

>Sock [DISQUALIFIED: Un-Flake]
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxOUk0dzBxeWpoT2M

>Maxwell
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxWE9PeHdzdnRhY1U

>Ombretta
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxaS1vaUJjUjZhanc

>Miyja
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxR3RDdFkxa3lPU0U

>Bavara
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxMXBoWDBKUzhFQjg

At this time, I recommend Gotyr for disqualification on the premise that Avatars are not their own beings and should reasonably not be Planeswalkers.

I agree. Gotyr should be disqualified. There's no confirmation an avatar can have a spark.

Not sure if Gotyr works, may have to be disq'd. I'd be ok with his avatar race if he was something else that became an avatar rather than being born one, but he wasn't, so I think he has to go.

I'd agree. I personally like Gotyr, but the avatar thing does kinda mess that up. Plus, him and sock both being out means we can have a round with no byes.

It's amazing to think that after this set of flakes, we'll only have gone through about 1/10th of them.

hue

I could do it that way, but I won't. I assigned everyone to their opponent randomly before I even began doing this.
Instead of no byes, this round will have TWO byes, and it's because the match-ups are nigh:

>Miyja VS Maxwell

>Sock VS Double [Sock is disqualified]
Double gets a bye to Round Two due to Sock's disqualification.

>Terut VS Ombretta

>Bavara VS Gotyr [Gotyr is disqualified]
Bavara gets a bye to Round Two due to Gotyr's disqualification.

START DISCUSSING! Polls will be up shortly.

I think Terut might be too skilled at keeping it in his pants to lose to Ombretta, not to mention being very offensive in magical focus.

I don't like Miyja, but Maxwell is just a petty magician of cheap burn tricks, he's outclassed in power.

Maxwell is a magician. Miyja summons big-ass wurms. Miyja wins.

I can't bring myself to read Terut or Ombretta. Too tired.

POLLS ARE UP!

strawpoll.me/11121316
strawpoll.me/11121315

>Miyja vs Maxwell

I'm saying Maxwell takes this one. Miyja has WURMS, but that's also her only trick. She doesn't seem like she'd be able to do too much before she'd gathered a fair amount of mana since her only strategy is rushing with big brutes. Maxwell can steal a march on her and his trickery is likely sufficient to make brute-forcing a win unlikely. Miyja has no backup plan and so she folds.

>Terut vs Ombretta
Huh boy, two of mine got set against each other this time, huh...

Terut can absorb a ridiculous amount of punishment without decreasing his ability to fight at all, but he is at a disadvantage in that Ombretta's magic tends to affect luck and emotions, although since she relies on more lethal black magic to "seal the deal" when she can't talk her way out of things and that's not going to work on Terut, he can outlast her, and pain magic is not something Ombretta has the fortitude to withstand for very long. Ombretta will likely set the pace of the battle, but Terut would defeat her eventually. He'd pay dearly for it, but that's kinda business as usual for the poor bastard.

It might be a quicker bout if it's social combat. Terut is basically immune to seduction after the shit his body has been through and Ombretta would leave, quickly, if she saw what he looked like under all that stuff.

Well I was saving this for when I got my next writefagging done, but since flakes are being used for something, it's best to put this out now so the information isn't outdated.

Terut is basically a nihilist battle-buddhist, ombretta is the master remover of pants, and also I guess an otherwise very refined lady. She does not appear to be combat skilled at all, save a few tricks.

TEN MINUTE CALL!

Get your last arguments and votes in.
The group of flakes after this one will be the last ones revealed tonight.

oh no!
I wonder if mine will be in there?

Maybe, maybe not.

I will tell you this: There are some names in the next set that are going to get everyone's attention.

>inb4 diomedes and gaia matched up in a fight

>inb4 Vronak memes

Set's over. The following flakes move on to Round Two:

>Miyja
>Double
>Terut
>Bavara

Tonight's final group of flakes are as follows:

>Chillbrass [DISQUALIFIED: Lore-breaker]
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxUHZRTi00UmJNYUU

>Zix
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxMEdYNjJWR0l4TUU

>Talo'ara
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxOXpuNmlkNWo4NDg

>Perselus
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxbFRna3B2R0JiaU0

>Raoki [DISQUALIFIED: Incomplete Flake]
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxNGpzUElOQTd2OEU

>Thyranno
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxSmo3dG95RWNLT2M

>Mortemalo
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxaTdZREJWS2FnVDA

>DIOMEDES
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxMmVPbFc3czYwMEE

With that...

Begin discussing.

lord have mercy on whoever fights diomedes

As mighty as DIOMEDES is, I would like to bring everyone's attention to a particularly strange clause that I added to the rules here >Flakes with meme-levels of power will be treated as though they weren’t.

DIOMEDES is for sure a valiant warrior and incredibly skilled fighter, but should not be treated as actually unstoppable just because we have let the joke run for so long. If he is greater than his opponent, then victory shall be his, but do consider that in some cases that he might actually not be.

Angerfish vs. Bluefingers. Compound names title bout. Make it happen.

Mortemalo is an unglued flake, if I recall. Even then, he's undead. So no.

Good eye.

Goodness, that's three flakes removed from the contest. Will tonight's battle set be an anticlimax?

Isn't Mortemalo a joke flake?

huh, zix is actually kinda powerful beyond his weak goblin body, and Perselus has the cheap trick of using eldrazi magic to win.

I'm not sure Thyranno should have a spark, but then again wizards is probably gonna pull some bullshit down the line with elspeth, so I dunno what to do about her. Mortemalo shouldn't have a spark.

>someone wanting a fight with my flake
th-thank

Mortemalo is indeed unglued. Talo is from the last snowstorm and was added when this one started. Not sure if that matters too much to this.

>Thyranno
Surely this one is one that should be discussed.

What say the rest of you?

I am discussing it, and don't call me Shirley

All 222 of the flakes from the repository will be used even if we are disqualifying some of them, including Talo.

Gotcha. Just making sure.
AS for Thyranno, she's definitely a bit iffy on the "how dead" part. One doesn't simply march of out of Nyx like that. Plus she's ancient.
Liches are already a maybe area, but she's on the edge of that maybe.

Matchups when?

I gotta go to bed now.

I think thyranno may have to go, but if their user speaks up later a rematch could occur?

I must admit I am biased towards Talo since she is my favorite flake that I have made.
Hopefully the samurai pulls through.

Given the number of people that are questioning Thyranno, I am choosing to disqualify them.

The match-ups for the night are as follows. The poll will be up in five minutes, so start discussing.

>Zix VS DIOMEDES
>Raoki VS Talo'ara [Raoki is disqualified]
>Thyranno VS Chillbrass [Thyranno and Chillbrass are disqualified]
>Mortemalo VS Perselus [Mortemalo is disqualified]

Poor zix...

I'm actually curious what people think on this one. Diomedes has meme-powers, but time magic is always a very powerful thing to pull. Is diomedes capable of countering time shenanigans? Earlier it was said that all flakes are lowered to an equal level of power if they're overpowered.

Actually, what I said was

>Flakes will be treated as though they are all neowalkers in order to create a balance of power.
Oldwalker flakes are treated as though they were weakened by the post-mending.

>Flakes with meme-levels of power will be treated as though they weren’t.
Meme-walkers are meant to be considered as though they weren't memes.

Huh, only one real matchup this time around.

It's an interesting one, too. Physically, Zix can't compete with Diomedes, but on the other hand, memes aside, Diomedes is never mentioned to be very magically capable of while Zix has a very powerful form of magic.

The question is, what wins? Dio's strength, or Zix's trickery? I feel like it could go either way, but time powers are pretty hax if you know how to use them, so I'm going to come down favoring Zix slightly.

>tfw diomedes might lose to dio's power
that said, I dunno what to do with this one. I think I might lean more to diomedes by favoritism, but will admit on an equal playing field the battle would be extremely close to call.

Zix vs DIOMEDES.
As some of you can tell, this is a complicated kind of battle. And you get all night to think about it, discuss it, and vote.

strawpoll.me/11121429

I will return sometime later after I wake up to move to the next group of flakes, and I will give a ten-minute call when I am going to. If the thread is still alive, I will be able to easily keep things rolling. If the thread is gone, then it will resume even later than that, in the new thread.

Those of you interested in catching up, head back to this thread: Have a good night, snowstorm. The Ice Age has only just begun. When we're done, we will either have a reinvigorated storm, or we will have closure.

yass
thank you, Ice Age user,
with Diomedes' entry into the fray, the snow wars have begun

>strawpoll.me/11121429
I'm giving this one to Dio
Zix's magic is nothing to scoff at, but he's not much of a fighter. Dio has an "In case of emergencies, go invincible" spell and Zix lacks any hard hitting spells.
That said, this fight's going to take forever in the span of a minute to get through.

so, how bout' them slivers? when you think we'll see them again?

When the devs run out of ideas/need a filler set, sure.

I will say that Diomedes is blessed by The gods and is effectively immortal.

Can Zix deal with that?

I dunno, zix has time to try things a normal opponent wouldn't, literally, and recently even the gods have been realizing their powers aren't so special. I will say though that the type of immortality Diomedes has, ressurective in nature, does change things a bit, you'll have to be creative with figuring out how to challenge that. We don't know if it restores age when death is by old age, so that might be an edge for zix, forcing diomedes into a permadeath by being unable to resurrect his too old body, but if it does restore age to youth then zix would have to lock diomedes somehow, but such is technically possible with time shenanigans. This is a really good match, because we get to compare two very tough cookies, one mechanically, one physically.

I wouldn't try to take time travel over generations in account as X decades later, a flake could be significantly more powerful. So, I think it's safe to say that it shouldn't be measured in this tournament.

nono, not time travelling forewards, using time magic to age the opponent on the spot. This idea is used more in demonic concepts or evil wizards, but is an obvious thing for time wizards to try. We don't know if diomedes' resurrective power can counter forced aging. If it can, zix is at a disadvantage and must rely on stopped time and imprisoning diomedes somehow to have a hope of winning, but if diomedes' resurrective immortality doesn't, then zix may have an ace. I will say, though, that I have already voted, and voted for diomedes, because zix does require far more circumstances to be met to win, but not as many as others do. If someone can't disenchant him, imprison him or otherwise incapacitate him, diomedes has advantage.

Hmmm...my phone isn't letting me vote. Probably some scripting error.

+1 Diomedes

I remember the stories where the characters were featured, and Zix just doesn't pack enough of a punch to beat the Akroan.

Actually, in the lore the only people I know capable of doing that are Clockworkers. Which they don't seem to teach anyone their ways, as shown with Tezerret in Test of Metal.

I'm sure if one plane can do it others can, we don't actually know much about zix, and I don't know if his author is around to confirm or deny the applications of time magic he actually knows, so I'm just assuming a little of everything.

If zix's author is here, can you tell us what zix can or cannot do with his time magic learned so far?

Zix's author hasn't been around in a bit. But Zix has shown the ability to stop or slow time for a small duration. And he has been training with Will. His typical approach is to avoid conflict, but when the going gets tough he has been seen halting time and sabotaging his enemy, which honestly would be his best bet against Diomedes. But he hasn't shown the ability to travel through time or age an opponent yet.

oh? is zix featured in flakepoint stuff? Ok, this helps. Yeah, timestop sabotage would be very effective against a very physical opponent like diomedes, but I do admit not having offensive time magic like past travel or forced aging does mean diomedes has the resurrective trump card.

He's not in Flakepoint stuff, no. But he did have some very good writefaggings early on in the storm. I recommend them. They're some of the best to come out of the storm, imo. Zix has a lot of character.

This isn't a planar thing. This is an ancient group that have no home and live outside of just one particular time. Even running into one is highly unlikely as they tend to pick and choose what timeline and universe they want to live in. Typically choosing the best turn of events for the time they choose to live in. So, I doubt they would live in a time where the events of Tarkir took place.

I don't mean the organization, I mean the application of the magic. I'm sure that if the idea of forcing someone to age is an application of time magic one group knows, then we here at original the character central can make other charaters that also know it, BUT, we already have near-confirmation Zix does not have access to that kind of magic, and as such would not be able to use it, swinging favor to dio.

That's treading on thin ice with this statement of "if someone canonically knows it then we can surely make a flake know it also" as we got both Nicol Bolas post-Mending making planes, forcing neowalkers and non-walkers to planeswalk, and even Ajani summoning a legendary Nicol Bolas to fight said real Nicol Bolas. Which the real Nicol list to the fake Nicol. This is basically justifying all of despognak's flakes as being non-lore breaking.

I'm pretty sure agents of artifice or whichever one with clockworking isn't canon.
So can I get a source for the 1st 2 claims.

Test of Metal. And it is canon.

Also, are you really asking for source on the entire story of be Alara block? There is even a duel deck based around it. If you don't know one of the most pivital storyarchs in the lore, Look it up yourself.

Help! I'm new to this thread (and MtG lore in general), and there are apparently 222 steel donuts here! How do I get oriented in what's going on?

Over fifty of them are made by one person, get out while you still can.

Test of Metal is deemed mostly non-canon due to conflicts with the established continuity, Agents of Artifice is perfectly fine.

Nicol Bolas can't make planes post mending. He just took advantage of the shit Alara does naturally to get a huge powerboost back to legacy/sort of oldwalker status.

Are they at least good at it?

The events are canon, but the books themselves come with a whole salt shaker.
Liliana and Jace dated, but it's questionable that Tezzeret has insane vertical time manipulation powers and isn't just a really good artificer.

I will post five of the ones he has made and let you decide how good they are.