EDH/Commander general

All threads is the same edition.

Old thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface. (Outdated)
magiccards.info

Can Bosh make a good budget commander?

Show us how you make yourself king, Veeky Forums.

On mobile so I can't make an image, but I'm a fan of Elesh Norn land kill.

Careful OP someone might take offence to a black man being posted and delete your thread and block you from posting for 15 mins because it violates a global rule

>You cant spell Sultai without golgari

One day I shall fulfill my dream of Decree of Annihilation followed by Oblivion Sower.
Riptide Lab, Izzet Chronarch/Archaeomancer, and Time Warp is my "this game has gone on for too long" back up plan.

Seriously, got global banned for posting the Pony P9? What the ever living fuck mods...

Yes

Better stock up on these for dwarf tribal in kaladesh

So I recently fell in love with endrek sahr master breeder. He happens to be everything I wanted in a deck back from when I started playing. Mono black sacrifice.

From what I see, though, the deck really stutters and suffers until he hits he field, and even with artifact ramp, it takes a while to get there. I want to build the grindiest, grittiest "all creatures get sacced" deck I can. I want smokestack to hit double digits in soot counters.

Anyone have advice, secret tech, stories of this guy? Thanks !

Assault suit

Every game automatically ends in a tie instantly, technically you never lose

Yeah, your mana base can cost very little considering you're in mono red, you could even go 36-38 mountains, ancient ruin, etc.

Throw slobad and darretti in there too! The most expensive part of your deck will be the mana rocks, if your group doesn't mind gold borders pick up a grim monolith. Run basalt monolith, Hedron archive, dreamstone Hedron, thran dynamo, sol ring. You can probably build the deck for 30 to 40 bucks if you're really cutting corners

For fun, run liquidmetal coating + act of treason and use bosh to fling their commander.

How does that tie the game? Everyone gets thrulls? Sorry, it's late out here.

Endrek can't be sacced, endrek's sac trigger happens each time board state is checked.

State based actions, when you have 7 or more thrulls, you have to sacrifice him. But you aren't allowed to, but the game keeps saying you cannot continue until you sacrifice him. It's basically a paradox which causes the game to end in a tie.

CR 104.4b
"If a game somehow enters a “loop” of mandatory actions, repeating a sequence of events with no way to stop, the game is a draw."

>too many thrulls gotta sac endrek
>cant sack him cos of assault suit
>queue mandatory action of sacrificing endrek because of too many thrulls
>cant sacrifice because of assault suit
>queue mandatory action.....

Unless someone can perform an action other than saccing/not saccing the game ends in a draw

Holy fuck

Thanks you guys! That's amazing, I can only imagine the face of the spike in my group when I force the game to end in a tie.

You didn't win!

Also, is pic related worth running?

For Endrek it's probably great. Imagine having a Grave Pact effect out and sacrificing 4 tokens.

It was likely just a blanket answer without context. I'm sure everyone in this thread has the same reaction (abject horror) to those proxies but other people who don't frequent this general won't know that.

Looks like a neat card. Having to sac four creatures seems steep but it does look like a good card for wearing down stalemates. Since you're going for a grindier deck I'd definitely try it out.

That was my thought process.
What other grindy win conditions would you recommend? Pic related?
What about blood artist/zulaport cutthroat? Pestilence?

Not pic, but the ones you named are great.

Last question, is this guy worth In addition to blood artist/zulaport?

And what's wrong, thumbscrews alittle too grindy for you?

I honestly forgot about that card. I'd try it. Thumbscrews isn't good because in the Grundy part of the game, you don't have 5+ cards in hand.

I honestly wouldn't even run Thumbscrews in Nekusar although my hand size is usually 7+
It's just too weak, doing only one damage per turn.

>mfw someone says Apocalypse is the best boardwipe

The rack, black vise, or shrieking affliction plus sadistic hypnotist or mindslicer. Pestilence is kind of rough on you since Endrek and his thrulls don't have much toughness. Blood artist and friends are practically auto includes for decks with lots of sac effects going on.

should I ever cut mimic vat out of an aggressive timmy deck?

>doesn't do anything on its own
>costs 3 mana to put down
>costs 3 mana to operate once
>requires the following to happen: a creature to be on the battlefield, the creature needs to die (can't be exiled or bounced), the creature has to be something that is worth putting in the mimic vat and the mimic vat needs to not get blown by an errant vandalblast or other mass artifact destroy effect

it seems really good when it actually works, but most of the time it just feels like a slow/dead card for my deck, which is all about going for the face

Thats just not true. I prefer wrath of god because of its low cmc and the fact that it destroys rather than exiles.

So, how much rage does Possibility Storm actually generate when it hits the table? Do people have a good laugh at the crazy shenanigans, or do they rage and get butthurt over their combo pieces in hand becoming useless?

it probably depends a lot on your group and how much you play it

i wouldn't play it in a spike group unless i specifically wanted to make spikes mad

my advice is that you put it in a chaos deck like norin or heartless hidetsugu deck and only play that deck sometimes, and not constantly. chaos is fun but gets old pretty fast when no one has any meaningful personal impact on the game

There is no "Best" board-wipe, once you get beyond the objectively shit ones (See: Rain of Daggers) it all depends on the board-state.

Toxic Deluge is cheap, scales to your needs and goes through Indestructible but costs life.

Decree of Pain draws you a new grip of cards and can be cycled for a less powerful effect but costs a lot of mana.

Pernicious Deed can be scaled dropped early and kept in reserve and scales to your needs, allows you to keep your creatures if you have the biggest guys on the battlefield and can be activated at instant speed but it can be removed from the board before you can effectively use it if you're not careful.

Cyclonic Rift doesn't hit your stuff and is in a color that doesn't have many options in the area, but it only returns to hand.

Wrath of God/Damnation are cheap and no frills.

And then there's all the ones with specific application that fit into certain deck types, like Living Death or Winds of Rath.

while there are situations where 1 board wipe is better than another, i'd still say toxic deluge is the best one if you could only pick one. like you said, it's incredibly cheap and goes through indestructible. the only downside is negligible. the card isn't even really balanced for EDH because of the higher life counts on players.

I'm planning on making a chaos deck with Arjun as a commander, so I also have access to the juicy stuff like Eye of the Storm, Hive Mind, psychic battle, shared fate and the like.

Plus, it was the only commander I found that had an inherently chaotic-esque theme in Izzet, even only for myself.

How's this for a board wipe.

user I was joking. Some dingleberry last thread was claiming Apocalypse as the best wipe and that red had more options for removal than white

>red had more options for removal than white
Wow...

W/B is still the king of removal from what I've seen.

Abzan has so much good removal.

Any other cool stuff for my waifu before I order all this shit?

IIMimic Vat is stupid powerful in a deck that wants to generate value by abusing etb or sac effects
If you are not planning to do that the Vat is still stupid powerful since you can imprint your opponents creatures too, even their commander denying them access to it

> even their commander denying them access to it
Only if they're stupid enough to send it to the graveyard when mimic vat is on the field.

Remember, something actually has to enter the graveyard for mimic vat to work, and most of the time, commanders are sent directly to the command zone instead, so they don't even trigger most "whenever a creature dies" effects.

What do you have?

Executioner's Capsule is the classic synergy card for Glissa.

Capsule, Longbow, Spellbombs, Life from the Loam. Anything else I should have?

Mindslaver and Wurmcoil Engine are good fits.

Most decks don't do that, but reanimator strategies tend to do it after their commander dies a few times since it's cheaper to just reanimate it.
My point still stands. Vat is powerful in every deck, running targets for imprint just increases it's power.

Oh yeah, that makes sense.

It's also one of the only wipes to get around Gaddock Teeg, which is relevant in some metas.

Actually, I believe it's a replacement effect. When a commander dies or is exiled, you have the choice to send it to the command zone instead of having it enter the graveyard.

However, this raises a question. If you choose to send your commander to the command zone, but someone else puts Mimic Vat's trigger on the stack for it, would it go to the command zone or the Mimic Vat?

The wording says when a creature dies. For a creature to die it has to enter the graveyard, if it doesn't Vat's effect won't go on the stack.
If you send your commander to the command zone it doesn't die because it's a replacement effect like exile.

But the replacement effect to return it to the command zone is a dies/exile/tuck trigger too. It hits the zone, but doesn't remain there. Like a token technically hits the graveyard then fizzles away immediately. That's why you can use sac triggers on commanders.

It doesn't matter. If your commander would leave the graveyard, you can put it in the command zone instead.

>However, this raises a question. If you choose to send your commander to the command zone, but someone else puts Mimic Vat's trigger on the stack for it, would it go to the command zone or the Mimic Vat?

This isn't even a question, a commander that heads to the command zone never dies, therefore it can never go under a mimic vat.

Even if it did, the imprint requires the card to then be exiled, which then gives the owner a second option to move it to the command zone.

>It hits the zone, but doesn't remain there.

No it doesn't why do you think the kamigawa dragons make such shit commanders?

Stop being such a shitter and learn the format before you start spouting shite everywhere, for fuck's sake it only takes 2 minutes on google to learn all that.

The dies/exile/tuck trigger never takes place if the commander goes to the command zone, since it's a replacement effect.

It's not secret but Ancestral Statue is great with him.

Also Oblivion Stone/Nevinyrral's Disk for recurrable boardwipe.

Drafted EMA and ended up with one of these. What kind of ridiculous things can I do with it in EDH?

Build Old Marchesa

Enjoy FREE CREATURES

Exactly what it says on the card. Just cheat big fatties into play. If you have a way to instantly end the turn you can keep them as well. Can get interesting.

put it in a xenagos deck for free wins

Was tempted to put this in my Brion Stoutarm deck, but didn't after price considerations. I'm just a poor boy...

Does anyone have the Diabolic Tutor edit with the dog and the crying guy?

Put it in Feldon, let shit get crazy

I want to build a deck based on combat damage triggers and decided on Grixis Marchesa as its Commander. Anything extra spicy I should include, besides Unspeakable Symbol?

> TFW you are the king of Timmy players
> Always like to summon huge monsters
> Plays mostly casual tabletop with friends
> Have a deck based on the eldrazi since I first began when Zendikar was a thing
> just playing GRB and using eldrazi spawn to ramp into the titans
>The deck is ok, its slow and loses more often then it wins, but its my baby.
>All foiled, well loved titans, full art lands, the works
>It ate my MTG budget for years
> it's become a cherished deck in my playgroup
>everyone enjoys those games when I drop a titan and win
> Freaking love eldrazi, especially Emrakul
>looks fucking awesome and feels like a true monster card
> play group a few years back decides to try modern for the first time, play a "proper" format
> I try looking up Eldrazi decks
> Learn that Emrakul is not only good, but one of the best monsters in the game
>Budget isn't crazy though at the time, a little bit of a poor fag, but I build an Emrakul Polymorph deck in UG
> Have loads of fun, refine it into a fun deck that surprises people by suddenly Emrakuling them
> nothing crazy though due to budget
> recently Battle for Zendikar comes out
> Friends get me back into it with all of the new titans
>Pull an Ulamog in my first draft, actually win a game with it that draft
>The new titans are ok, like new Ulamog
>Most new eldrazi aren't as cool but still collect at least one of each
>Cant afford all of the playsets needed for the Eldrazi Modern fad, stick with polymorph
>Friends are talking about commander
>Everyone is building decks
>Learn that you can make any legendary creature your commander
>LookingAtYouEmmy.jpg
>TFW your favorite creature in the game is banned
> It would have been boring artifact ramp either way
>but still have some money tucked away

I completely understand WHY Emrakul is banned but as a newfag just wanting to play big Eldrazi beaters... what are good decks to just let me drop a bunch of eldrazi. I'm open to any idea, just don't know what options are out there

Mono green. Ramp into big shit. Use stuff like eldritch evolution and birthing pod and other green creature tutors to get the big ones.

im not super informed but the first that comes to mind is mayael. just put in tons of fatties and ramp and play lurking predators, killer instinct, tooth and nail, elvish piper and genesis wave. oh and selvalas stampede

I'm considering starting to offer to do alters and make the actual proxies for people, and ship them pretty much anywhere in the world. I'd be charging between $20-25 per card.

>Is there any sort of interest for doing this at that price?

The price seems fairly high, but it's honestly not worth the time and risk to be doing it for less than that.

Put one of your other titans at the helm and make colorless ramp. You get to use all your Eldrazi, and the deck is good, too.

Can you post some examples of your work? I'd totally be interested in some alters of decent quality.

Are you the guy who edits new art onto cards that everyone was telling you to sell? I don't like to use altered art like that myself, but that seems like a reasonable price for the high-quality stuff you were posting. I also have a request.
You know the Diabolic Tutor with the picture of the dog looking over the crying guys shoulder, the one with the hot dogs? If you could print a higher resolution version of that alter, I'd pay $20 for it.

new player here, i'm in love with the idea of mono red artifact decks and i love doing cool shit. i also love slow, crawly value cards

which commander do i build? i'm open to other colors too

It's goos in jhoira but i wouldn't use it in other decks.

Daretti.

Jhoira.

Hey,
Would you have a contact email I could use? If you're who I think you are I love your altars and honestly that's a great price. If you trust us enough to post an email of course. Also maybe post some work just to make sure you're the right person.

>Not using Odyssey/9th foil Diabolic
rethink your life choices senpai

(You)

Apparently your alters are awesome, any chance of seeing a few of them? Maybe an online album or something?

That's pretty shit art desu

Yeah I'm the guy who has been in and out and had people say that I should be selling. I'm not linking to the album anymore because it has things in it that can be brought back to me in ways that I wouldn't like if I'm going to start selling.

I just set up a new email, and will shortly be using it to set up Skype and Discord for easy communication.

[email protected]

>You know the Diabolic Tutor with the picture of the dog looking over the crying guys shoulder, the one with the hot dogs?
No, I actually have no idea what you're talking about sadly.

Damn. I'm sure someone here has it. If you ever happen to see it and want to make a quick $20, shoot me an email at [email protected].

Skype and Discord are set up under that same email, so feel free to add me on there if you'd like.I can give examples once added.

A few cool examples of your work then?

Do you do painted alters? Quality prints and proxies?

Do you have a set brochure of already completed ones or do you take commissions for newer cards?

Digital alters and printed proxies. I have a portfolio of cards that I've done in the past, but will do new cards without batting an eye. Add me and I can show you some of things I've done. As soon as I start doing some with the new alias and set symbols I'll have some I can share here, just hadn't gotten around to it yet.

Perilous Myr is fantastic in Glissa if you don't have him in already. If you have a focus on grave pact effects Hangerback Walker is pretty sweet. I like the appropriate mana myr as well for their ability to excel you in the early game and to serve as pretty cheap near constant chump blockers and sac fodder into the late game. If your meta has a tokens deck in it consider Engineered Explosives and watch them weep as they are unable to do anything all game. My last suggestion is Batterskull. While it is a stupidly good card on it's own the fact that it gives you a nice little token to sac and makes Glissa a god damn combat monster when equip just sends it over the top.

I'm wanting to build Gitrog, but I'm wondering what is the actual win condition? I can see the deck is just one big snowballing draw/value engine, but how does it actually WIN?

Seconding. I love my Jhoira Eldrazi deck. The deck is less less Timmy and more Control though.

>mfw that shit doesn't matter to my Nekusar deck because I have multiple card draw spells and can dish 7+ damage in one turn

Keep forgetting to post mfw
Also, Kami of the Crescent moon seems to be a good 2-drop for Nekusar. Are there any other good forced card draw effects aside from the usual wheel effects?

This dude

Use Gitgud Frog + Drakmore Salvage + Discard Outlet to dredge your entire deck. You have Kozilek 1.0 in the deck which allows you to infinitely dredge loop yourself.

Because GGF says that whenever a land enters the graveyard from anywhere, as you're milling through your deck, you're drawing cards as well.

You can then use LED/Lotus Petal/Dark Ritual to generate infinite mana as you're going through the deck multiple times until you have enough mana for a lethal Exsanguinate, or while you're looping through the deck multiple times you can cast an arbitrary amount of Preator's Grasps or Ebony Charms.

>[email protected]

Sent you an email pal, cheers.

Forced Fruition, it's hilarious as long as you can keep Nekusaur alive. Otherwise, it loses you the game quite expediently.

Shot one back.

That's hilarious. I could possibly work with that.

heres my diabolic tutor alter

>Not making that the flavortext

>I've been playing kruphix for 3 years
>Been sitting on a doubling cube since it was first released
>just
>now
>realized

You guys ever find out about obvious tech WAY too late?

I gotchu

That's impressive. Can't say that happens much to me since I research a bunch of people's lists before I start putting together a commander. But hey, better late than never right?

Are you playing all of your options to recast Kruphix at instant speed, Vedelken Orrery, Winding Canyon, Alchemist's Refuge? So if he ever gets removed you only need to use UG + floating mana to make sure you don't lose all your stored mana.

Yes, that one.

If you can get that set up, send me an email.