Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

Friendly reminder to tell us what 3pp your game allows if you need character building help.

New pathfinder AP came out today. Is it good? Is it bad? What are you thoughts if you read through it. It's better then a fucking monstergirl discussion and picture anyways.
Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/iYhDNSTq

Please search for the unerrata'd content here:
web.archive.org/web/http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

Horror Adventures: imgur.com/a/r2TOH
imgur.com/a/odYOE

Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warriors playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1dX4UYdtwTQKhY71Q45IHLtcu193zq1ZO5jHQ5_PnTl8/edit

Bloodforge: Infusions playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1GvwMclLSw15slYI7D5xLdjMzr-Nau92hNha9Sx0LOk4/edit

Old thread: →

Finally, a decent thread.

So i'm going to play my first game of pathfinder ever today.

What am I in for? Should I bring lube?

>Should I bring lube?
Yes.

I thought as much. Min maxers and such?>

yes, and tell us more about it and your experience with ttrpgs. If it's your first. run

Well, it's not my first ttrpg. But it is my first pathfinder one.

been playing them for a few years now.

Where's the cute anime girl?

>In search of sanity
Appropriate.

Is it more weeb to use a sansetsukon and go Zweiwarder, or to get the DM to treat an offhand katana sheath as a shield for warder purposes?

>magus

Why do I hate people who play magi.
I don't want to, but they make me.

Why do you hate them?

I'd say the latter is much more weeb

They're all overpowered pieces of shit.

And they all want to be Elric.

Does anyone have a copy of this picture without the pop-up in the bottom? Or the pdf it is from (I believe it's from Shards of Sin from Shattered Star)?

>Never read the books or even know the character because they aren't famous in my country
>Same with the Witcher
>Play PF
>Go Bladebound Hexcrafter
>Everybody "look this Elric of Rivia wannabe"
Had to read some wikias to understand why they meant
Maybe, just maybe is not that people copy those, is that the class is that? Fuck, I was CG, literally nothing like those characters

Not that user, but I also hate magi, mostly because the players in my group use themm for builds to beat all forms of DR and energy resist. Makes a fair number of "tough creatures" pretty lame, and requires stupid, convoluted encounter design that ends up feeling rather spiteful to get enemies that last for longer than a round.

They attract awful people.
Not every magi is played by awful people, but awful people seem to always want to play magi.

They're the pet class of PF, sort of like how warlock is the pet class of 5e.

>Pet class
What does this mean? because warlock in 5e is meh as fuck unless you go EB turret, and even if you go EB turret is just ok.

"Pet class" basically means "the devs love this class, so they're constantly getting ideas (both good, bad, and broken) to give to it, and it gets the most attention in balance updates, but never anything that will cripple it because the devs play it and therefore would be ruining it for themselves."

it's a bit a mouthful, so we needed to have an easy way to refer to them.

Soooo not Warlock in 5e. Understood.

Sounds more like Alchemist to me.

Eh, alchemist is a sweetspot rather than a pet class I think. the mages are their pet classes; they love their magical shit.

Alchemist is just a class that can maintain a better degree of overall balance due to the fact that it and the hunter are the two best balanced classes in Pathfinder. It makes them difficult for the devs to screw up.

Like an Aegis?

Aegis? Aegis barely gets anything except one or two new customizations every now and then.

>tfw one of your players is really nice person and social, but very passive roleplayer
Those people are the worst, because you like them but are bothered by their lack of input

Give them optional stuff that only their character can do to try and hook them into the narrative.

I thought pet class meant that the class had a pet

I'm the individual in that situation. A lot of the time I'm passive in roleplay because the others are enjoying themselves and I don't want to cut in.

The way my GM deals with it is by putting my character in a position where she can influence the party due to quest hooks. For instance, since my character is an oracle (I like playing support, what can I say?) he likes to give my character visions in the form of notes. when I was playing an alchemist before, he made it so that I was wa well-known alchemist, and there'd often be people coming to meet me.

Small stuff, possible plothooks, and interesting social encounters. doesn't have to be major things, but it's easy to get such a player involved in things with a small amount of extra work.

Nah, that's petmaster class.

I always worry about saying something stupid or out-of-character. Or I just can't figure out what my character would actually say in that particular situation so I just sit back and let others speak. I'm not very good at dialogue in general and my characters tend to be a bit samey personality wise. It feels like complete shit when everyone else in my group makes these cool and memorable characters but mine never do anything special, no real plot hooks, they just end up in the background 99% of the time. None of my PCs tend to have much depth. I really hate it honestly.

I can't wait for Star Finder to come out. I will learn how to GM just so I can run a game for my friends. I've always had fun playing Pathfinder, but I'm definitely more of a Sci-fi guy than a fantasy guy.

And do keep in mind it's billed as conversion friendly, so if you want to, you should probably be able to convert fantasy stuff for anyone who isn't a sci fi person.

Yeah, once I get my hands on the Player's guide and GM book I plan on reading them both cover to cover to make sure I understand everything.

I've only ever run two games in my life (both Mutants and Masterminds), so running something in this system might be a little intimidating. But I plan on learning as much as I can to make it easier for myself.

user, to be straight honest, DR and energy resist are not fun mechanics to deal with.
It means that either you need a specific weapon sorty to put them down, or your preferred energy type just became useless outright.
Use this as a reason to learn to make better encounters that AREN'T slogs, rather than complain a lazy tactic fails you.

What's a decent yet balanced way to introduce my group to Path of War? We're starting at level 1 with 25 point buy. Both Path of War and Path of War Expanded are allowed.

Depends, are you a Player or DM? Usually both include easing the system in by bringing in characters that first just have the Martial Training feats, Then you go for an archetyped Paizo class if they're comfortable, then you sit back and help another player make and play an initiator while you hold out for the game with a T3 Paizo class, like Inquisitor

Well, just read the Medium for the first time. Without having even read the Spirits I can tell this thing is trash.
Seriously, what's the point of this class?

I'm a player.

Then yeah, start off with a combat character and take feats, Bard is surprisingly good at this if built right though you can even take the normal martials, and ease them in. Then support and guide other players into trying and using the system as well.

Remember, it's best to have another player be the first tibiae the full classes and systems first. Otherwise you just look like a tool.

>tibiae
Damn auto-correct, quit boning me!

That could be said about most of the occult classes.

Which Bloodforge 1 or 2 race would you waifu/husbando, /pfg/?

I'm working on my "credit to team" warpriest and this is what I have set up so far:

Human Warpriest
Equipment: Cutlass, Full Plate, Buckler
Blessings: Destruction and ???
Traits: Fate's favored and ???

Feats:
human: ?
Level 1: ?
Level 3: Shield Focus
Level 3 bonus: Quicken Blessing (Destruction)
Level 5: ?
Level 6 bonus: Weapon Specialization
Level 6 FCB: Unhindering Shield
Level 7: ?
Level 9: ?
Level 9 bonus: Greater Weapon Focus
Level 11: ?
Level 12 bonus: ?
Level 12 FCB: Greater Weapon Specialization

I want to add greater shield focus in somewhere but a pre-req is 8th level fighter.

The plan is to use 3rd level pearls of power in order to grant magic vestments to both my armor + shield, and any party members that want it. That will save on some WBL for the party.

I'll use divine favor as my first swift action self buff, then add the sacred weapon/armor boost, then probably the destruction blessing. That combined with a keen cutlass should make him very competent in melee.

What the hell do I spend all of these feats on /pfg/?

>no minigun
dropped

>minigun
?

The alchemist's bomb ability says that it takes a standard action to prep and throw one and that they go inert after a round. Does that mean they can just prep but not throw them somebody else can toss it? If so how does that interact with an aether kineticist's blast?

Why does Veeky Forums hate pathfinder so much?
I mean I get why they could hate the threads because of the constant catgirls, but why the hate for the game?
Is Paizo dying at all? I feel like they're doing perfectly fine, but I don't have my ear to the pulse of companies.
What are the problems that everyone complains about but never explain?

An alchemist's bomb, like an extract, becomes inert if used or carried by anyone else.

The game promotes being a curmudgeon about things. People who end up playing any 3.x system tend to only ever play that, rejecting the possibility of other systems.

Also the fact that PFS is mostly autists and Paizo is mostly SJWs.

13 year old rules
It is a game that ignores 13 years of progress

Heavy was credit to team.

Where does it say that?

>Paizo is mostly SJWs
read this as:
>I am easily triggered by the mention of women or trans people in any medium, and wish I could return to my safe space where games only involved men

In bomb rules.

Poor balance, fixed almost nothing in terms of the balance issues from 3.5, constant Caster supremacy from day one that has only gotten more apparent, poor design, a world/setting that was poorly written and squandered save for the occasional small gems, constant agenda pushing and fetish by the devs, refusal to consider or listen to playtest feedback, PFS with retarded rules and rulings, errata that just make more problems than fixes them, and outrageously over priced books.

I hope Paizo dies, good riddance to bad rubbish I say.

t. triggered SJW

That is a very general statement, what is the progress?
This is something that makes sense,I've played all editions and while I agree 5th is probably a better system I just can't get behind the blanket generalness of it. I don't like no options

Then you're an idiot who k owe nothing about the idiocy that is Crystal and Jessica.

Seriously, even the tyrannies of /pfg/, which several have posted here, think it's a load of overpandering, idiotic, hamfisted SJW crap.

Guess I'm blind, thanks. Maybe my DM will ok a combo throw if they have infusion.

>I hate Paizo and pathfinder
Why are you in this thread then?

>pazio is full of SJWs!
>no. It's literally one trans writer who wrote about a trans character and says stupid stuff on her blog sometimes. Unless you are coming the books and internet to find it you probably won't even realize it is there.
>OH NO THE SJW HAS INFILTRATED Veeky Forums!
Just fucking grow up. Adults have more important things to worry about than sub-quality writing.

Getting rid of rules that are not needed and rewriting rules that can be done better.

>Veeky Forums
>adults
Ha

A lot of us come here since we are the grognards who can't leave the system, but see it's flaws.

It's more the fact that the write Amber Scott is known for tokenizing LGBTs to make herself look good.

As a gay guy who gays with other gays, I can tell you that we consider her to be a piece of shit.

>is new to /pfg/
Enjoy your stay pal, not even /pfg/ thinks it's a good game. We have fun with, and use loads of 3pp and homebrew, but almost no one here is dumb enough to think it's a well made game or that Paizo and it's Postponed know what they're doing.

Lurk moar newfag

I've read the Bombs entry multiple times now, but I don't see anything that says only the Alchemist can throw the bombs.

How would you justify killing all niggers in Golarion?

>pfg
>not bitching about Paizo
Paidrone detected

I could explain everything wrong with pathfinder, but it would take at least an hour.

The good thing about pathfidner is that the base mechanics (grid movement, AoOs, actions) are incredibly solid and ___ __fun____ ____ __

If you need someone to be upset at there are better targets that someone using you as a token for internet points.

>Paizo and it's Postponed know what they're doing
They did something right with the advanced class guide. I like every class in it.

I wouldn't, Jatembe is a bamf, even if his college is full of pussies. Nice false flagging btw, got me to respond

It is at the very end of Bomb (Su)

>ACG
>liked every class
wew lad

g...guys?

Even the arcaneist, while a wizard, is better for gameplay than a wizard.

Name one that is bad. ONE.

ACG was good, except Cavalier was kinda meh, and many of the archetypes also felt meh

Well I'm an idiot, misread the ACG as the APG. I'm an idiot

Yeah, ACG was really mediocre

>Well I'm an idiot, misread the ACG as the APG.
na it's ok everyone makes mistakes
>I'm an idiot
...you already said tha...
>Yeah, ACG was really mediocre
You're an idiot.

So in other words, you're ignorant of the situation. So why are you commenting, just to shitpost?

Warpriest aka the class with out an identity

So what's /pfg/ think about Strange Aeons so far? Worth following, or should I write it off before even bothering with it.

Battle cleric that has proper action economy

No. I am fully aware of the situation.

Pasio pays shit money for writers, and gets shit writers. One of those writers is trans or something, and writes about trans stuff more than she probably should. She is also human and says stupid stuff on the internet once in a while if you really dig for it.

Someone on Veeky Forums gets ABSOLUTELY BUTT DEVASTATED about this for some reason, and everyone basically agrees they should shut the fuck up and find something else to get offended about.

I like the first book

I was thinking of making him the "I'm a old-pro, and want to encourage/facilitate these younger players get into tabletop games" character.

In character, he will be a CN seeker of conflict. He looks for battles to test himself/others, enjoys competitions, and generally thinks the purpose of life is to challenge or be challenged.

Confirmed, am blind.

Then why not make a cleric archetype that does that? Why not an Inquisitor or paladin?

The fact it shares it's list with cleric but only gets 2/3 casting is ass and you know it. No discounts, no unique spells. It's whole concept is use self-buffed weapon, cast spell, and full attack (or vital strike for gimmicks). It's like a worse magus that's got a shitty divine list.

Inquisitor does the divine gish thing better
Paladin does the frontline martial better
Cleric does battle cleric better due to better/earlier access to buffs.

Warpriest is just a sub-par class that has Quicken metamagic rod as a class feature.

You forgot bonus feats and blessings.
Of course, if you absolutely hate Fighter, you will not like Warpriest. But he is unique still from Inquisitor and Paladin.

Also Paladin is hampered by falling.

Swashbuckler, aka "I need 5 swift actions a turn to match a fighter, and am most useful as a 1 level dip for people who want to evade their Dex feat taxes"

I mean, if you wanna take that route most classes are identity-less shit.

I already don't like that most martial classes get pigeonholed into thematics while casters have flexibility without archetypes/3pp.

Casters can be summoners/necromancers/illusionists/mind controllers/blasters/Support/Self-buff and melee.

Meanwhile martials get one theme per class
Fighter hits with metal thing.
Barbarian hits with metal thing while being angry.
Ranger hits with metal thing while being racist.
Paladin hits with metal thing against evil
Cavalier hits with metal thing while mounted
Swashbucker hits with metal thing One-handedly
Monk/Brawler hits with metal thing while unarmed.

Something that always bugged me is how the Hunter got to poach the the "better of the two" spells off Ranger and Druid, but the Warpriest didn't get to poach spells off the Paladin/Antipaladin list.

Also no Cha-casting "basically a 3/4th BaB 6th caster paladin" archetype for the warpriest, which upsets me greatly even though I'm sure there's a "good reason".

It is rare that I see one piticular post that is full of so much stupid that I feel the need to actually take it apart piece by piece and examine it. Here we go:

>Then why not make a cleric archetype that does that?
Because archetypes that change spellcasting progressions are ass and confusing. >Why not an Inquisitor or paladin?
Because the first one is a spontaneous caster, and the second one is hardly a caster at all.

>The fact it shares it's list with cleric but only gets 2/3 casting is ass and you know it.
Not true in fact. Many uses of the cleric's spell list are fulfilled by it's low level spells. One of the cleric "capstone" spells is plane-shift, which is just a 5th level spell. Many of the cleric spells also inherently scale with level, ex: divine favor vs. enlarge.

>It's like a worse magus that's got a shitty divine list.
It's like a different magus with a divine list, that is less about doing damage and more about fully replacing the divine caster in your group. You don't need a cleric if you have a warpriest.

>Inquisitor does the divine gish thing better
Except it doesn't. Divine favor, sacred weapon, sacred armor, destruction blessing add up to make a warpriest a very dangerous combatant.

>Paladin does the frontline martial better
And has practically no casting support / feats at all.

>Cleric does battle cleric better due to better/earlier access to buffs.
This is where you went full retard. Spending your entire turn to make yourself better in the next turn with a higher level spell is a very stupid idea compared to getting all of your self buffs for free. Sure, if you give a cleric five turns to cast all of his 1min/level buffs on himself then yes, he is dangerous. The warpriest is dangerous even when surprised.

>Quicken metamagic rod as a class feature.
Its a rod of Quicken+Still, it doesn't use up a hand, and it works for every level of spell.

Well you can blame that on Paizo never changing how core rules work
Or they make alternative rules like Called shot but do not write them into solid rules for everyday playing

stop

Now you're getting it.

Oh fuck. I had forgotten that abomination existed.

90% is still an A

Because you cannot cause illusions, animate dead, throw fire around or control minds with a sword

Right, so it's stupid to just focus on one for that.