40k general

Playing CSM Stage 1: Depression edition

Rules databases
mega.nz/#F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg

>FAQ’s and Errata (outdated but official)
games-workshop.com/en-GB/Rules-Errata

>40k 7th edition quick reference sheet(s).
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4104995/Games/7edRef.pdf

>Forgeworld Book index
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Forge_World_and_Apocalypse_Rules_Index

> The Black Library
mega.nz/#F!wx4BiKhD!YhnAf1BqSmAB8dO6xDM56Q!c4pGAJDb

What army is everyone currently using? I'm developing my Guard army and so far really enjoying it.

lol
he's not autistic or a waacfag (though he does take some strong stuff and his army naturally counters mine), just sort of an asshole.

Well, I'm considering taking the plunge and going full Krieg. The gas masks are just too sexy to pass by.

Y'all like Be'lakor?
I like Be'lakor.

I like that he shares the dubious honour (along with the Eldar Falcon, thank you C.S. Goto) of being killed by rocks.

Blood Angels, working on Deathwatch. Eventually will build a small detachment of Grey Knights.

I'm brand new to the hobby (have been playing dawn of war and reading the novels and wikis for a long while) and just won my first battle using a scout army. What advice do you all have for building up a highly mobile speesh mehreehns army with minimal use of power armor (it's a fluff thing for my Mary sue chapter). Also, the one shitty question everyone asks: where get cheap models and bits?

Stupid easy question, but im not seeing answer. Can a psyker use multiple different powers, or is it 1/psyker/phase?

If you're in the UK then I suggest Wayland Games. They typically have about 10-20% off most GW stuff.

We are way past Stage 1 OP, b-but Traitors Hate will be just as good as a real codex right?

Shit character, should've stayed in fantasy. Shoe-horned in, serves no purpose but to sell a model and sit around screaming I PLANNED THAT whenever anything happens. Openly contradicts Lorgar and Perturabo, both of whom are much cooler.

>tfw I have been playing CSM and Orks for over a decade now.
>tfw GW will never make them good ever again.

Sometimes I don't even want to play anymore.

1/mastery level /phase

I play grey knights. Have a bunch of old csm stuff though. Also have a imp knight I need to build eventually.

He can use as many powers as he has access to.

I'm in the U.S. but I appreciate the advice, thank you!

They FAQ'd this away. Psykers can use as many powers as they have mastery levels in each phase.

>inb4 "using wayland ever"

Almost everything is going to have power armour or better so my advice would be to run a fully tank army with scouts as your troops. Maybe even a master of the forge for your HQ

>Also, the one shitty question everyone asks: where get cheap models and bits?

Getting Started box sets. Carefully planned purchases from your local gaming store, only buying a new box of models after you've completely assembled and painted the last ones you bought.

Its like no one on this board knows how to manage their money or time.

lmao, there were people that thought it wasn't the case ?

>Not just taking the Sons of medusa formation and not feilding a single model on foot save the MotF

I wouldn't know about 'cheap', but I plan my purchases carefully after play testing everything with proxies until I find out what I like and dislike using, and also pick based on if I think the model is cool. Then I buy them from my local Games Workshop store because all of the 'FLGS' in my area are run down dumps that have attracted the worst kind of autists and try hard WAAC faggotry, thanks largely in part to the Warmachine crowd.

nice rules though, i still haven't tried proxing him

The wording in the book is admittedly unclear, what with it not specifying HOW the mastery level limits the powers, and saying "pick a power, cast it, repeat until you have no more powers or warp charge"

The guy said he wanted scouts for fluff reasons

You do realize that most competitive players only take Scouts anyway to fill in any Troops choices, right? Unless they're running a Gladius the usual lists look like '[White Scars] Librarian, Scouts, Grav Centurions'. Mix in bikes or deathstars as you deem appropriate.

Good luck with the tanks, they really suck shit this edition unless its free Razorbacks from the Gladius, you'd be better off investing in a Fire Raptor or some Storm Talons and a Knight Warden.

Your orks are screwed, but user, there is always 30k. You can have relevant legion rules with interesting special units.

There's no need to do this to yourself.

Sell them both, pick up Eldar or Tau, get your cunty revenge against all the cunts at your cunt store.

>minimal use of power armor
You want to focus on scouts and termies, then vehicles and bikes.

>where get cheap models and bits?
Ebay mostly, other resale sites work good too. For bits, the more you buy the more they pile up.

Orks were great in 5th edition, kill yourself

>competitive players
You mean the faggots that are curse upon the hobby? They don't matter if you don't play with them or go along with their shit.

Playing optimised cheese strats is the least fun way to do any game ever

I said good again, cunt. CSM were also good in with 3.5

I'm too attached to my minis to throw them away

Last games were with Daemons, but I'm waiting for good weather to prime some new Harlequins and some 40k Thousand Sons that I disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled.

They are good right now, everything else is just overpowered. Don't play against D weapon, Grav, superheavy or psychic spam and see how it goes. Also don't be a bitch.

"Only play against orks, you'll be fine"

>I can't handle my opponents making logical choices

It's by far the worst character in all 40k.

>Don't play against D weapon, Grav, superheavy or psychic spam and see how it goes.

>I refuse to play against anyone but Orks!

>people who dont intentionally gimp thier army are bad people

I wasn't aware making a good list was against the rules user

>they are good, everything else is just better

It's so bad, its badness transcend 40k and start to be a bad character in fantasy too.

>waah my nobz in a 'naught aren't good please take pity on me =^(

Stop making shitty army selections then.

Has anyone here had any experience fielding or fighting against Imperial Guard Rough Riders?

1d4chan has very little information on them and I wanted to know if they can be used reliably enough to warrant me making some.

My plan was/is to make a 5-6 man squad of rough riders and equip 2 of them with meltaguns or flamers. Which would give me a fast(12 inch) unit that can melt armor or burn infantry depending on what I'm facing for around 60-80 points.

Also do you all think that Rough riders could be useful for Kill team?

Another question Since Rough Riders are cavalry they have the special rules fleet, fast and hammer of wraith. This should mean on a charge given that they have a hunting lance, las pistol and close combat weapon they get to 2 attacks normally, a extra attack because of charge and a extra HoW attack. Considering that the hunting lance has the one use special rule does that mean for 10 RRiders on a charge do they 10 hunting lance attacks and 20 normal CCW attacks or does the hunting lance last for the entire first turn of the assault?

Well, you are not wrong.

Guard and I'm currently expanding my army as well as starting an allied inquisitorial force.

Right now I am wondering if Rough Riders could be useful.

No, your army is bad, there's not getting around it.
Unless your meta is literally nothing but Orks, other CSM, and Dark Eldar, you cannot avoid any of the things you listed.

Why do Rough Riders even exist?

I do a bit of both. I take models I like, but I also take them in optimized ways. For example, I run Blood Angels. I take Sanguinary Guard and jump pack Assault Marines, sometimes even Vanguard Veterans! Tactical Marines, even Assault Terminators with a Sanguinary Priest in a Storm Raven or Land Raider .. but I also take a Fire Raptor, Sicaran tank, occasionally a Knight Warden, or double Librarian Dreadnoughts in Forge World drop pods, and when I'm feeling very cunty, Contemptors with Kheres assault cannons, allied biker Librarian conclaves (very funny with Dante), allied White Scars with gravcents, etc.

I'll sacrifice efficiency for models I like or feel are thematic, but I'll still tailor to be as strong as I can be with those models.

because 40k likes to fondly think about ww1 battle strategy, they're probably the weakest cav/mounted unit in the game but for their cost they're a cheap throw away unit.

>Considering that the hunting lance has the one use special rule does that mean for 10 RRiders on a charge do they 10 hunting lance attacks and 20 normal CCW attacks or does the hunting lance last for the entire first turn of the assault?

That's a really good question. I'd say that, just as you add +2 to your initiative "for the duration" of the CC phase, the whole fight counts as the single use of the lance.

Besides that, usually weapons that are only used for a single attack in combat are specially noted.

You have below primary school level reading comprehension. I'm not complaining about losing I'm saying that finding the most efficient cheesy way to win is not fun for me. Whats the point of playing if you roflstomp everything?

Same here, especially if the unit is straight up bad but I cannot help but love em (Warp talons, I am looking at you). I'll still take em, but I will try my damnedest to make em work either by way of unit synergy or trying my best to out play my opponents. It should be noted that my meta is pretty laid back and casual so it definitely does not feel like I am gimping myself with a lot of the unit choices I make, even if said choices won't fly in a major event/tournament

Indeed. I'm the newbie with the scouts. My fluff is that my chapter only can make the carapace work in one out of every ten (roughly) candidates. Then there's the problem that a geneseed mutations makes it nearly impossible for them to undergo hypno suggestion. This is unfortunate because it leaves them with human fear and human loyalties, thus I dont take feel no pain and they shall know no fear. They are a cursed founding chapter and thus they were created by a magos trying to make a chapter that could retrieve important tech from delicate situations. Thus the magos ended up combining some scraped together ravenguard bits, some iron hands and [REDACTED] from a seized dark mechanicus vessel. Because of all their problems, the Argent Palm (my chapter) are primarily stealth oriented and tend towards a longer training time. Rather than using their near 100% geneseed acceptance rate to field mass waves of scouts, they instead take a very long time in training, only fielding those who seem to be capable of not falling to corruption easily. Thus it ends up taking some twenty years before a recruit is seeing unmitigated combat. Due to the nature of their homeworld abd alliance with the mechanicum, they have a lot of nice toys and like to fiddle with combo bolters and upgraded weapons. They prefer swift attacks with land speeder transports or their chapters venerable Spartan assault tank, all of which are usually backed up by droves of their friendly pdf. The chapter is not on great terms with the Inquisition due to their geneseed mutations (black and silvery skin alongside the others mentioned above) as well as their tendency to hoard and scout out secrets. They act far more diplomatically than other chapters and a part of their training focuses on spycraft.

How good are the traditionally "bad" armies at Kill Team point levels, like Orkz, CSM, or Dark Eldar?

I want to get into the hobby with Kill Team and have my eye on a few of those

I really want to get into Dark Eldar and it pains me that Mandrakes are so bad but the models are so fucking cool.

Somewhat inexpensive way to steal objectives at the last minute.

They're a fun idea, but they're overcosted for what they actually do.

that's pretty cool/creative
you're made for this hobby

Orks were mid tier in 5th edition

They were never space marine or eldar level though

Sounds great :D Scout bikers may be a good option. Otherwise I would go with as many vehicles as you can. This would make sense since they are on such good terms with the mechanicum

yes in rules but no models. To field them I would likely buy warhammer fantasy/AoS pistoleers and replace the dudes with cadian guardsmen from the waist up.

TEEGEE I NEED YOUR HELP WITH MY MARINE PAINT SCHEME RIGHT NOW

I want to either do yellow or bone for the primary colour, with lots of dark blue details. Every model would have a set of thick, diagonal blue stripes on the leg. I was thinking that I could say the bone is to represent the calcium rich moon of their fortress monastery, and the blue a mysterious element that occurs naturally in the solar system and appears to both channel psychic energy and act as a fungicide. So bone would be more fluffy, but army painter have a really nice "daemon yellow" spray paint that I could use to base my army really quickly. I think their bone coloured spray is too light, so I'd need to look for something more equivalent to GW's Zhandri dust in spray form and layer up from there to get the desire effect.

Thoughts?

Thank you. I actually made an ask blog on Tumblr for The Argent Palm before I started playing, but it didn't gain much traction. I didn't want to make my custom chapter too powerful so I riddled them with flaws, that way it's not unfair when I have a few crusade era weapons and rare vehicles (but not volkite weapons, because everyone wants to use volkite)

I like playing my Orks in Kill Team.
I pretty much just run them all as Warbikers with a PK Nob Biker with them. T5 is pretty decent in Kill Team, coupled with being able to jink makes them pretty fun!

Sorry I thought you said "do Rough Riders even exist?" not why they exist.

I think that sounds like a fucking lot of work.

They are definitely less bad this time around! I'm not sure if that is enough to find a spot in your lists though. The problem I have with Mandrakes is "What is their purpose for existing?" They are shitty in the assault, mediocre in shooting and only marginally decent in holding an objective in ruins. At least until a flamer template comes your way. At least warp talons can say "I have 2 lightning claws, a jump pack and a 5++ for 32 pts!" which, in when you put it that way is actually pretty fucking good? I digress. Mandrakes though. Definitely bitching models but with no clear purpose, it's hard justifying their place in a list.

Thinking about starting an Ork kill team based on the new rules. How do Orks play?

Thank you very much. I hadn't thought of scout bikes, but that definitely is something they'd utilize. Also, are there any options for better snipers? The standard sniper rifles on scouts are great and all but they feel as though they lack punch. Also, how would one go about building an independent character? My roomamte and I insert one another into our respective franchises. So he put me in his Fire Emblem homebrew and I'm making him the only chapplain of the Argent Palm to date. Thus, I need to figure out how to stat a custom chapplain for a stealthy chapter. On that nore, are power daggers a thing?

Not great, but they can get pretty fired up!

Honestly I think they exist to occasionally charge a Space marine tactical squad and to them watch as for one glorious turn flip the natural order of things and to collect the sweet salt that is created.

Also I am hoping to confuse my opponents by fielding a unit people rarely see and to then use that confusion to win.

just send this to faeit, some more detailed information regarding the upcoming releases:

Traitors Hate:
-Contains New Rules to Play alongside Codex: Chaos Space Marines
-New Tactical Objectives
-11 new Formations, a new Detatchment (Currently, Black Legion and Crimson Slaughter have 14 Combined, further below is a Box with a new Formation from this Book)
-Lord of Skulls Datasheet
-Renegade Knights
-50$

Traitors Hate Limited Edition:
-6 Metal Tactical Objective Markers
-Exclusively Designed Heretic Psychic Astartes Psychic Powers Psychic cards
-36 Tactical Objective Cards
-136 Pages of Rules and Narrative
-Double sided Campaign map
-185$
Chaos Space Marines: Favoured of Chaos:
-Contains 1 Daemon Prince and 15 Possessed
-Rules for this are within the Traitors Hate Book.
-105$

Heretic Astatres Psychic Powers:
- Each Psychic Power has the Same effect as The Adeptus Astartes Psychic Powers, just new Names and darker description
- 13,50$

Kharn the Betrayer
-nothing new to say about him :) 35$

Void Shield Generator:
-Plastic kit with Rules inside.
-85$

the Daemonprince + Possessed formation is in neither BL or CS, so there is hope it isnt just a copy paste of both.

Independant characters aren't built like RPGs. From the sound of things, you'll want one of the generic hq options - chaplain in this case - and start tooling him out. What's the parent chapter for the Argent Palm? Given your predilection for stealth, Imma venture a guess and say Raven Guard?

Look into stalker pattern boltguns for slightly better snipers. They are from the deathwatch book but it's not too much of a stretch for you if you already have some rare shit. For the unique chaplain maybe give him the shroud bubble that the tyranid psykers get.

So we have 11 new formations + the Black Legion and Crimson Slaughter formations? That sounds a whole lot better, I feel.

I heard also that Kharn got one line of change? Besides being able to take him in a KDK or BL list, that is.

15 possessed? The fuck?

It's only really "work" if you don't enjoy it.

Yeah, they're primarily ravenguard and whatever chaos geneseed the magos extracted from the Hereteks ship. They also have a little bit of iron hands just for the extra tech affinity.

Achtung, Veeky Forums.

Version 7 is up for the Space 0din Ork Codex 7th Edition Update Fanfiction Murder Mystery Dinner and Organic Horticulture Lawncare Guide 2016: Don't Be a Min-max Spammer Dick Edition.

>Waaagh! lets ranged attacks re-roll 1s instead of TL, because fuck BS3 TL every turn with Orkcurion.
>Bosspole lost +1 LD because it was way undercosted & an auto-take, but...
>Iron Gob is back for 5 points, +1 LD
>600 point "Stompa -" from IA8 back as an option, loses all the HH-style bonuses & 2-shot Deff Kannon, but keeps improved Effigy & 'Ere We Go!
>Killkannon is just Large Blast--Primary Weapon too good for the points.
>Clarified some language on some formations like Killskwad.

LINK BELOW

Bit ly/Orks7ePDF

LINK ABOVE

Have fun with your games, & always talk it out with your opponent before the match. Good sportsmanship can preclude or at least ease the need for quality rules writing LMK if you find the latter anywhere.

On the flip side, bikes are antifun in Kill Team and I hate them, irrespective of faction.

>Whats the point of playing if you roflstomp everything?

You don't, because your opponent brings their A game as well.

Rough Riders aren't going to be very good no matter what you do with them, don't take them to a competitive game.

For them to do anything at all they need to be a list with a lot of other soft targets, putting them in chimera vet+tanks army just allows your opponent to use his anti-infantry shit before popping your chimeras, hell the stormbolter on a rhino has good chance of killing 2/5ths of the squad, I can't stress enough the "they can't be the only target for your opponents basic weapons if they are to do anything at all" idea enough.

The hunting lance is the weapon they use for that phase, so they get their full compliment of attacks with the S5, I5, ap3 profile.

Avoid difficult terrain at almost all cost, they can and will lose 2 men to a forest, fail their leadership check for over 25% casulties and flee.

You're plan of putting Flamers and Meltas on them is pretty good, don't forget the Melta-bomb either, if you're within melta range you're within charge range (you may need to repeatedly remind someone that if you have multiple weapons you have a choice of which one to use is one of the most basic rules if they insist that the ruling "they use their hunting lance on the first turn they charge" means you're wacking a land raider with a stick despite having a bomb.

The ability to climb up ruins is pretty important in kill team.

There is a formation of a daemon prince and 2-5 untis of possessed in the BL book

Then you are just playing the same 4 or 5 lists every time. That's just a waste of the game's complexity in my opinion

I hate bikes. I want them to remove the inane Toughness bonus from them. I want everyone to stop fielding fucking bikes in Deathstars. The vast majority are ugly, outdated models and its stupid as fuck seeing huge piles of them in every Marine list that isn't a Gladius.

Judging by most tournament lists, the only two factions that consistently do that are Eldar and Tau. That's quite a lot of variance among the other armies.

Then take a look at Angels of Death and give your chaplain the Armor of Shadows. Gives your chaplain a 2+ save and Stealth. If you did not move, run or charge, you get Shrouded instead. Then, if you want your chaplain to assault (Why wouldn't you? He's a chaplain. He punches things), give him a bike, a command squad tooled for assault to ride with and a power fist to handle 2+ armor saves. Cool thing about this is that with the armor of shadows, your command squad on bike now gets a 3+ cover save every time they jink. That's pretty solid.

Right with you brother.

That's fair. My point was I don't find playing the "best" list to be any fun. I'm not saying its a bad or incorrect way to play

Has the same list taken the top in more than one tournament? For the sake of argument, let's go with only the big ones. I feel like there was, but I cannot for the life of me remember what the list was and what tournaments it took in. Anyone?

Fandexes are fucking stupid.

>Kharn the Betrayer
>-nothing new to say about him :) 35$
No Eternal Warrior then? Well, shit...

>Heretic Astatres Psychic Powers:
>- Each Psychic Power has the Same effect as The Adeptus Astartes Psychic Powers, just new Names and darker description
What, what? I've been saying that as mockery after the leak of that one card, but it's actually true. The hell? I mean, the loyalist powers are nice and all, but that seems fairly lazy at best.

>another formation for possessed

dammit gw, stop making me like these things. welp, here's to believing in a good 7.5 update

>lazy at best
An apt description for how GW has treated CSM for the past 3 editions, I'd say.

we know that CSM get their own unique version of the librarius discipline, at least (we hope), as the one leaked power (AP3 and gets hot) doesn't match up with any of the angels of death powers

>the Daemonprince + Possessed formation is in neither BL or CS, so there is hope it isnt just a copy paste of both
Let me dash that hope. Here's the DP + Possessed formation from Black Legion.

thanks

I wasn't planning on fielding them in "competitive play" I use wanted something that for less than 100 points can hopefully ruin my opponents plans 2 out of 5 games.

/shrug
Rather they made Fullmination, Geomancy, and Technomancy BRB (giving existing factions access to certain ones), Librarius as SM only and gave CSM the Chaos Daemon psychic powers from Daemonic Incurison.

Do you have a custom name for your BA?

Necrons don't really have any of that besides their one mediocre superheavy that I've never seen used.