D&D Pokemon Edition

I've watched to run a campaign based off of Pokemon for my players for a while but haven't found a suitable system. Any advice or discussion about this kind of campaign?

Don't use D&D.
GURPS or PTU (Pokemon Trainer Union, or somthing like that) would be much better for a pokemon game.

Pathfinder, all players have to be summoners. Just homebrew it a bit to give exactly the pokemon effect.

Just house-rule Pokethulhu.

>inb4 people suggest systems
Make your own god damned system user.
>but it takes time
if you don't have the time to make a good system, you won't be able to run a good campaign, and you might as well play something else
>but I don't know how
That just means it takes more time
>b-but
no.

You get complete control over every aspect of the game, and can tailor it specifically to suit the needs of your campaign.

You have many options.
The ones already mentioned and there is also pokerole and pokemon pen &paper.
Check them out and see what you like best.

(you)

>this

I was going to actually do this and reduce a lot of the rolling aspect and base it off a mix of the games and the anime.
Like if a move in the game has a 75% chance to hit roll a d20 and anything better than a 5 will hit.
Damage is the tricky part, I'll have to create a health system based off of the damage in the games.
Similarly stats for Pokemon are on the complicated side cause both the attack of Pokemon A and the defense of Pokemon B are factored in though I suppose j could refer to the AC system and modify it to my liking.
I don't even know where to begin with IV and EV probably just leave them out of it entirely.

It depends on the kind of game you're trying go play. Pokerole is a good system in terms of running a story. PTA and PTU are focused on combat but it's very crunchy. Pokemon Pen&Paper does everything you need in terms of combat, story and it's easier to run than any other Pokemon Tabletops.

I'd actuallly recommend running a Mystery Dungeon game. You can use any system since you only have to stat 1 Pokemon instead of eleventy billion, and you get way more story options and twists at your command.

kill yourself shit poster

There's a BESM supplement exactly for this.

Yeah, all you have to do is create Stat blocks for all 721 Pokémon, Stat out all 621 Moves, create a balanced Experience/Leveling/Evolution scalefor almost all 721 and make sure it's not totally fucking broken. I mean if you can't do that on top of running a campaign, you don't even deserve to play TTRPGs.

Not OP but which would you reccomend between PTA and PTU? What's the major difference between to two?

This is a dope idea I might use this in the future. Could do something like instead of str, dex, con, int, wis and cha, do Atk, Sp Atk, Def, Sp Def, HP and Speed.
I like you user

>implying
To make an apple pie, you must first create the universe? Kill yourself again.

I'm just going to do the original 151 maybe add a few others for realism and go off of a few basic moves first. But we'll get there homie... we'll get there.

PTU is a less crunchy (relative term) version of PTA which is very rules intense and more heavily based in D20

FATAL is really adaptable as well, you should give it a shot.

Good to see that you have admitted to being the real shitposter. I mean, who needs Pokémon to play a Pokémon game? Just do free-form right?

That still seems needlessly complicated, admittedly I have never run or played an of the Pokémon TTRPGs, so I don't know how good they are. But since there are already systems for Pokémon out there, I would just use one of those.

I'd recommend neither. Both are full of overcomplication and excessive mechanics because they try to emulate every single bit of the videogame aspects while adding RPG elements like character classes and different dice for damage. It ends up being quite tiring for the dm.

As to what makes them different,PTA is pathfinder with pokemon slapped into it, PTU is a mix of systems and tries to fix most of PTA's mistakes.

>not Pokethulhu

You FAIL.

Look, guys, we have a PTU dev in the thread.

And you came to this conclusion how? Because I went off the assumption that OP wanted to use all of the Pokémon? Pretty nice leap there. Although to be fair now that he's said how many mons he wants in there we can considerably scale those numbers back.

He now only needs to do all of that for 151 plus a couple extra, and 165 moves plus some extra.

If you can do that, then by all means do. My only point has been that developing games like this is an actual fucking job, and the people who get paid to do it routinely fuck it up. I've never seen someone talk about a homebrew system that wasn't a total clusterfuck, and it's pointless to build from the ground up what's already there. I have also said that I don't know how good any of these systems are, but if they're bad enough that you have to make your own, I don't see this being a worthwhile endeavor.

>Damage control

>replying is damage control
Fuck I hate this board.

If I was going to make a pokemon system, I would try to reduce the numbers as much as possible.
Don't keep track of stats.
Base mon stats on their stat growth. Damage is generalized to d6, super effect and weak is +/-1d6 respectively, add in STAB for another 1d6, attacks are based on mon type and if you want to get fancy just use a poke wiki to learn what attacks it can use.
HP is based on mon level, size, and stat growth. Attack, S.Attack, Defence, S.Defence add/subtract damage directly, depending on how stats scale it might be better to work with STAB and weaknesses rather than min/max stats.
PP and moves work like spell slots, mon has to learn attacks and can switch them out outside of battle.

Why does that Charizard have ears? And what the fuck is up with its horns?

Now we are asking the REAL questions!

I think I saw that image in a cringe thread in /vp/

Honestly if I was going to make a pokemon game I would just have a system that would allow you to create pokemon, and then only actually stat up around 100 as an example

If I was feeling particularly autistic I would make it a conversion based off their in-game base stats, but you probably don't need to go that far.

Either way a creation system is superior to a dex as it is much less work than hand crafting/balancing each mon (If you are only planning on doing the 151 this might not be true, but it is certainly true for 721+SM mons) keeps your system from being completely outdated when a new game comes out, as well as GMs to be able to easily invent fakemons without them being broken because they don't know how the system is supposed to work.