Magic - Next plane: "Egypt"

Hope we get to the magical Anubis, Sobek, Ra, Isis and Osiris.

Also: We Yugioh now boys.

magic.wizards.com/en/content/amonkhet-info

Other urls found in this thread:

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/announcement-day-2016-08-31
youtube.com/watch?v=W__yxEAACQs
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bastet
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I just hope we get some good monsters/demihumans beyond "jackal headed guys," "falcon headed guys", and "Egyptian dragon." Also mummies. Egyptian myth's always been low on these sorts of mythological figures, but it has some and it'd be nice to see the ones most people don't know about show up.

I just wonder what Bolas relation is to the plane. It's kinda fucking random. Bolas likes to associate himself with specific cultural stereotypes for some reason. It made more sense on Dominaris's Madara since he was a dragon and Madara was Dominaria Japan. Seems weird he'd associate himself with an egypt plane. I guessaybe an idea is kind of a spin of the ancient aliens concept, where Bolas brought the people of Amonkhet knowledge and power and in exchange they are rules by him.

WE

He's a black walker, and black wuz kangz an shyet.

So the guy who foretold of this set months ago was actually right. Anyone remember that thread? the guy said there were gods like in Theros.

This guy "foretold" that it would be the set after SOI block. He was wrong. And I don't consider it a great effort to A) guess there would be an egypt block and B) that there would be gods in it.

He also said it would be called "Sivatag" or some shit like that which literally meant "desert" in some language. But he might be right that it was somewhat unconnected to the current story as it is Bolas's plane.
So... Return to Ravnica #3 in a year?

>after SOI block
Nah, after Kaladesh. You're probably thinking of a different guy.
Maybe, since there's going to be, I assume, 10 gods again for each dual color combo.

No, it's the same guy if its the Sivagat guy. This "leak" came well before we know about Kaladesh, and the leak was only about Sivagat, it didn't mention Kaladesh anywhere and it was said to be the next block.

>implying the gods won't be shard-colored

Is that right? My bad then. I distinctly remember him saying the block after the next one was the Egyptian one.
That'd be bitchin.

I'm sure they won't be doign the exact same cycle for gods as Theros. The question is what cycle they'll be. I guess they could be shards or wedges. Maybe shards to go along with Bolas.

>Maybe shards to go along with Bolas
Yeah, knowing that, that's most likely what they're gonna do.

Speculative Prediction, but
>Heavy hybrid-mana subtheme
Considering that we've just come off a block with 2-color tribes but low multicolor count, and we're heading into a block that will feature artifacts heavily, I get the feeling that Amonkhet will be the "multicolor" block in standard for a while, but hybrid will be used more than gold as a way of requiring less fixing in standard.

Weird part is though, there's said ot be five gods. Bolas probably isn't one of them, I would assume, though I don't really know why I would assume that. If they're shards, does that mean there's two grixis then including Bolas? It seems weird to me.

ARE THE CRYSTAL GEMS
I'll keep doing this until you stop

Bolas probably won't be a god but a planeswalker.

I have this really sweet idea that there only like 5 gods, but they combine to take on new forms and roles like the egyptian gods, and that would be super flavorful with hybrid mana.

i was thinking more like a cycle like the nuKhans in DTK, not necessarily that he'd literally have creature type god.

I appreciate you always saving the day, user

They can't do color-based themes for every set.

Ravnica's guilds, gods of Theros, clans of Tarkir and tribes of Innistrad - of all of the planes we've visited in the past five years, Zendikar was the only one without a rigid color-based theme and Kaladesh will likely be another.

I'd rather not have cookie-cutter tribes or teams of colors that build themselves due to inbuilt synergy.

I agree. I sorta miss the mechanically-inspired blocks of the 2000s.

I still do want a wedge block though where they don't pussy out after a single set.

>BFZ Block
>5 color Allies
>U/W Awaken
>R/G Landfall
>W/B Lifedrain
>Colorless matters

Yeah, BFZ block sure didn't have rigid archetypes that divided themselves along color lines.

I've been wanting a sphinx planeswalker for years now. Don't fuck me on this, Rosewater.

>t. Egyptaboo who is really terrified they'll fuck this up but is cautiously optimistic after how well SOI was and seeing MaRo admit BfZ was shit

There wasn't even enough wedge design space for a single set, according to Wizards.
That being said, "Rebels of Tarkir" will totally be a thing in three to four years.

I suspect he will be dicking around with the Amonkhet gods to figure out how their powers work and see if he can figure out a way to co-opt it into something that makes him stronger again.

This experiment will fail on Amonkhet, ruining the plane as far as he is concerned. But he will have learned enough that he expects greater success from his next attempt, setting his eyes on Theros.

Return to Theros, when we get it, ends up being about Bolas going around eating the gods. Losing his oldwalker powers have reduced him back to a normal physical existence. But if he can become more than just physical...

>making a connection to Theros

I could see it happen.

The parallels are going to get drawn whether they like it or not. We were told before that Theros was special because it had Gods. No other plane has Gods in that way.

But Amonkhet seemingly does.

So either their gods work the same way as the gods of Theros, and a connection exists, or the Gods are some kind of fake out.

please let there be a frog for meme purposes

Egyptians are big into worshipping their kings as living gods. To have that being be a giant wizard dragon only makes it seem more legitimate. I'm sure it tickles Nicky B's colossal ego to have people literally worship his footsteps.

I like the idea that the five gods are Nicol Bolas and a couple of his cronies.

>non human planeswalker

sorry lad the focus tests have told us you don't really want this

They will definitely have the creature type "God" and some mechanic that differentiates them from regular creatures. Everything else would be a letdown to player expectations.

>Cycle of Sorceries at rare
>The plagues

Pretty sure the gods are gods. And I don't think we were ever told or implied that only Theros would have gods. I'm sure there's plenty of ways to design god cards and have them be different from Theros's.

Ehhh. A sphinx planeswalker like Crucius (who made Etherium, the metal of Esper) would be a thing that could very possibly happen.
A treefolk planeswalker, on the other hand, is way less likely than a sphinx.

Yeah, you have to be born to be a planeswalker. So any treefolk that is some kind of enchanted tree is right out.

bolas? daretti? I would say nahiri but she's only technically not a human since kor are just skinny literal-white people

Its not that we were told that Theros was the only plane that ever could have gods, but at the time Theros was introduced no other named plane in the history of magic had confirmed gods like what Theros has. Even if its not unique, its certainly rare and exceptional.

How rare remains to be seen.

>Non humanoid planeswalker
ftfy

I want to FUCK Isis

In a story Kruphix tells his oracle who is inquiring if other planes have gods: "We are more like ... a local phenomenon."

Please don't do that.

Local stuff can happen in other areas.

Yeah. So that certainly confirms they are rare and native to Theros.

But, its worth pointing out that Kruphix knows nothing about the multiverse that he didn't pluck from the heads of planeswalkers that came to his plane.

So if those planeswalkers never visited another plane that had gods, Kruphix only knows what they know.

This is also correct.

It was fun, though, the god realizing they would have no chance against the Phyrexians, the Eldrazi, or Bolas.

>not basing your fursona off of a combination of Hathor and Apis to reflect your devotion

scrub

Might not have a chance. He questions their ability to win, largely in the face of knowing that mortals can theoretically kill gods. He never really makes a definite statement one way or the other. Just wrings his hands, as anyone would.

>filename related

No other plane had gods because gods just didn't fit the thematic of any other plane. You can't do greek world without gods, and you can't do egypt world without gods, and I suspect that when they finally get to viking/norse world, they will have their own gods.

kamiagawa had kamis but they aren't as big as what we generally think as gods, the myojin were a big deal though

oh, yeah, i guess kamigawa could have done gods, but they used the spirit type to denote that for that block

Actually, kinda the opposite. O-Kagachi was even more powerful than Theros gods, and could easily beat old-walkers.

Nowadays the Myojin probably would've been Legendary Creature - Spirit God.

Norse mythology is actually really different. The Norse gods, if you look into them, are effectively just really badass humans who have stumbled onto powerful items and knowledge.

Odin had to trade his eye and suffer for days speared tot he world tree in order to gain wisdom and learn magic. Thor can't lift Mjolnir without his strength boosting belt and gauntlets. Loki is their crazy uncle. They all are only immortal by eating the fruit of the world tree, and they have to keep eating it. If they stopped, its effects would fade and they would grow old and die.

The Norse Gods are basically just high level PCs that found a way to stay alive basically forever and hung around doing awesome shit. Not a separate class of being like Egypt and Greece.

>odis is turles

It has... really nothing to do with what they technically are. If people worship them as gods, they're gods. It doesn't really have anything to do with what exactly their role was in the actual mythology. I think you are fooling yourself if you think that they did norse world that they wouldn't have god equivalents and they wouldn't have creature type god.

5-color allies isn't feasible and folks generally focused on a two/three color combo of allies, colorless matters can be put into any combination of colors, etcetera.

Sure, archetypes were there but they were slightly more interesting than the Innistrad tribes or the Tarkir clans.

I could see Norse plane happen with gods who are awesome "this will go into my EDH deck!" creatures.

I mean, if they actually pay that much attention to the source material, having them be "normal-sized" legendary creatures with insane abilities or something would be an easy way to differentiate them from Theros gods, since the identity of theros gods mechanically was that A) they are huge and B) they are enchantment creatures (composed of magic).

To me it sounds like the leaker worked On wizards during g the development of the Egypt set, considering hlw long they take to print and release a set.

There was no "leaker" just a dude guessing at shit based on how often it comes up on Maro's tumblr.

The only thing he even got right was "Egypt"

So are we gonna get a Crocodile Goddess with massive titties?

>U/G Crocodile Goddess of Truth
>R/U Crane God of Artifice
>W/R Lion Goddess of Warfare
>B/W Green-Skinned God of Law
>G/B Jackal God of Death

so was the leaker legit? he said there would be an egypt set and that the next return set was going to be ravnica

What about Slifer?

Egypt didn't have a lion god
And WR would be Re/Ra or horus

>egypt didn't have a lion god
>lol Sekhmet

>tfw nobody cares about Kaladesh anymore

>Sekhmet
>Lion-headed Solar goddess
>Daughter of Ra and Bastet
>Protector of the Pharaoh
>Leader of Warriors

Don't get me wrong, I want to see Old Falconhead too, but I have a strange feeling that could be onto something.

Nicol Bolas is already Executive Produ... err, I mean, Dragon-Emperor of the plane.

its not that nobody cares but more that its another artifacts block

We know.

Where have people been getting the Bolas connection from? Is it purely speculation, unconfirmed rumor, or is there a source I'm missing?

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/announcement-day-2016-08-31

>"Rise Among the Worthy" on the plane of Amonkhet. Discover a world ruled by Nicol Bolas when the first set of the Amonkhet block releases April 28, 2017.

youtube.com/watch?v=W__yxEAACQs

Skip to 1:00

WE

ARE THE CRYSTAL GEMS

Here's a hot tip: You're shitposting just as hard as he is.

Bastet and Sekhmet were lionesses

No, Bastet was a cat. Sekhmet was a lioness. And was also possibly Bastet's sister/child by way of Ra.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bastet
>Bastet was originally a lioness warrior goddess of the sun throughout most of Ancient Egyptian history

WE

That was between the 2nd and 12th dynasties. By the 13th dynasty, Bast had begun to diverge from that deific model and was by the 22nd dynasty completely transformed into the Protector deity Bastet more well known today for being a goddess of love, family, and cats.

2017 Duel Decks confirmed to be Duel Decks: Designation vs Kingdom featuring Kaladesh robots vs Amonkhet aliens

I'm sorry user but actually using the source material well is banned now.

Goddamnit Maro. Your mistake wasn't going whole hog on Japanese mythology. It was doing so in goddamn 2004.

I hope Bolas is one of the five gods and the other four are his generals and they're pulling some Stargate ancient alien shit

I sure would not mind that

I don't think these really work.
Crocodiles are more B/G than U/G and Jackals feel more B/W than B/G(not to menton Anubis fitting B/W more as well).

My guesses(or hopes):
>W Falcon God
>U Ibis God
>B Jackal God
>R Lioness God
>G Crocodile God

I'd love hybrid color gods as well like Theros but I doubt we will get that on top of the five already existing gods.

I'm predicting Bolas to be the head god of a shard based pantheon made up of magically uplifted mortals from that plane

imagine
>more enemy colors gods
>Edge Gods
>Wedge Gods

Notably, he's only seen Phyrexia in "full swing all ready won" mode.
I stil like to believe that Theros would do pretty good against them during the "Invasion" phase due to how badly everything nyx related shits on phyrexia's usual MO.

Guise' Guise'
Just think,
Pyramid building Moonfolk.

Kami in Shinto aren't really gods, save the big three of Amaterasu, Susanoo, and Tsukiyomi
The rest of the shinto spirits are literally just that, spirits of things or people that live in stuff like trees or shrines. They really aren't that much more special/powerful than what we got in Kamigawa.

>Plague of Dust/Lice (W)
>Plague of Blood (U)
>Plague of Firstborn (B)
>Plague of Fiery Hail (R)
>Plague of Locusts (G)

I could actually see it.

I don't know if Wizards are actually clever enough for this to be relevant but the closest thing to a dragon in egyptian mythology is Apep, a serpent representing chaos and evil.

So is Bolas a combination of a Pharaoh and Apep?

Sorry, meant to respond to