/ccg/ Custom Card General /cct/

Neat artifacts edition.

Old Thread: To make cards, download MSE for free from here
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post your shitty card!
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Art sources.
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

Saw something in an earlier thread about allied swords. Was contemplating what that would look like.

Thoughts so far:

Sword of Might and Justice

+2/+2 pro green/ white

whenever equipped creature deals damage to a player, distribute 3 +1/+1 counters among creatures you control and destroy up to target artifact or enchantment the defending player controls.

Sword of Wrath and Madness

+2/+2 pro red/ black

Whenever equipped creature deals damage, each player sacrifices a land and deal 2 damage to each creature and each player.

Thinking up the other three now. Thoughts on these? Obviously the casting and equip costs are the same as the other swords. Is the rakdos one too strong/ gw one too weak?

Sword of Plots and Cruelty

+2/+2 pro black/ blue

Whenever equipped creature deals damage to a player, look at that players hand and destroy target non-black non-artifact creature they control.

Sword of Law and Insight

+2/+2 pro white/ blue

Whenever equipped creature deals damage to a player, scry 2 and until defending players next upkeep his or her spells cost 1 more to cast.

Sword of Speed and Brawn

+2/+2 pro red/green

Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage to player, equipped creature fights target creature the defending player controls and search your library for a land card and put it into play tapped.

Swords are on combat damage to prevent pingers from triggering effects.
Other than that, they're hard to balance because they are all so swingy and the ones that already exist already have a pretty distinct difference in power and utility.

>Neat artifacts edition.

Oops, forgot image

So what happens if it blocks a white creature with "protection from white"?

ehh yeah that was an accident, I intended it to be on combat damage.

Very true.

They would just bounce off each other, no? Same as if you cast an instant that gives pro white to an attacking creature after they're blocked. Or am I missing another factor.

The Wall of Mirrors would become a copy of the attacker, becoming white in the process and thus no longer a legal blocker. This would remove the Wall of Mirrors from combat. However, the attacker would still be "blocked".

The better question is what happens if it gains the ability to block more than one creature? The answer is, it becomes a copy of each of them in whatever order its controller wants, which effectively means the controller gets to choose which creature it becomes a copy of.

"gains" is only used for gaining abilities. You just "put" counters on permanents.
"dies" is also only used for creatures. Everything else you "put into the graveyard from the battlefield"

>T: Put an illusion counter on target creature
>When ~ is put into the graveyard from the battlefield, destroy each creature with an illusion counter on it.

It doesn't remove the Wall of Mirrors from combat. Protection's "can't be blocked by X" only matters when blockers are declared. All combat damage that would be dealt to either of them is prevented, although some may trample over (e.g. a 4/2 Pro-White Trampler will trample 2 over). (CR 509.1b)

This can be circumvented in weird ways. For example, big Teysa, who has Protection from Creatures, can be legally blocked by the Saproling produced by Flash Foliage, because Protection only matters as blockers are declared, and Flash Foliage skips that step. (CR 509.7b)

Also, Timeanon, how do you feel about Magic going to Eqypt plane after Kaladesh?

>"dies" is also only used for creatures. Everything else you "put into the graveyard from the battlefield"

True, but there's not a good reason for it. I'd just as soon save some ink.

Fixed the other issue though, thanks.

It doesn't really make much sense for inanimate objects to "die" aside from saving text space.

You don't need to target the exiled card. You can just go "T: Put an artifact exiled by bag of holding onto the battlefield." Also the whole lose the game thing seems drastic, maybe just a one-sided wipe of some kind?

Right!

It does have a high power level! BR did pretty good in playtests, but UR dominated. Here are some cards from the BR deck. :3

But it was never put into the graveyard.

Hm. Fan of the tax, the other bit's weird. D:

>Brood
My man, that spider is weird. There has to be a better way of doing what you want, which I'm not sure what it is.

>Clashing
Hm. Not digging the -1/-1 counter on green. Don't get it either.

>Dread
That's a really powerful card.

>Forgiving
Guess it's ok.

>Sentry
That's pretty white. Could make all your opponents creats get -X/-0.

>Fumes
This I dig. Really strong.

>Peakweb
Janky.

>Plague
Hm. Wasn't there a goblin that did this?

>Sprite
Cute.

>Exhalation
That's interesting. It might break your set, but at W, some people might run it on some weird metas. Or EDH.

>Wood
Hmmmmmm. Might be a bit too powerful.

>Remains
Cool card, especially with putrid wood.

>Sentry
Aiii.

>Venom
Same ability as Peakweb, maybe you could make a Peakweb vertical cycle for the ability.

>Swarm
Heh.

Hmmmm. Is that ability good enough?

Hmmmm. Don't really like a reskinned devotion, also the names don't really stick with you, do they? I also have to ask if you're trying to do a set that works as a whole; or if you're doing this to see 'what would happen if'. Do love the lore.

Here's one you guys can make for free. I woke up with this card in my head yesterday.

Quickening Vial (name subject to whatever
0 cost artifact
U, T: Put a charge counter on [this].
T, remove a charge counter from [this]: The next noncreature spell you cast this turn may be cast as though it had flash.

Alternatively you could have it cost 1 mana and come into play with a counter already on it or something.

This might need a clause to make it non-creature artifacts otherwise you can just durdle behind an ornithopter for eternity, bagging it before damage then pooping it back out

what the fuck? lose the game? one sided wipe? what an arbitrary effect. i understand it's probably for flavor but just do what every other card wanting it has ever done and say "Exile target artifact not named Bag of Holding".

I'd like to see a deck built around this wincon. Get out two of these things, stick one in the other, then while that effect is on the stack trade him to the other guy with that one goblin that lets you give your shit to the other guy.

"Hold this for me"

It's a meme, dude. You gotta relax.

Repeatable effects on artifacts tend to cost a good chunk of mana or enter with a limited number of uses.

Some reworked cards, and some i haven't shown.

Plaguemare I'm not really sure of yet, but happened to see the art and liked it for a card, and I'm not sure Asp Charmer fits in with the set, but I like Nafs Asp.

>Asp Charmer
>Is a Snake creature

Your cards are pretty undercosted.

Asp Charmer makes free tokens that also have an ability.

Fumeborn Specter is a 1B 2/1 flyer with no downside

Lakeform should be formatted with sacrifice into its cost rather than its effect.

Plauguebearer, you basically turned an instant into a creature at the same cost.

Plaguemare is a 4/3 flyer for 4B, which is already great. That it gets boosted above its 4 power is generally something you either base its entire power off of instead of on top of its base 4.

Underfort Viper is a Gnarlwood Dryad that's likely much easier to activate in the type of format you're building.

Undergrowth Swarm is a bear with a upside which is already good for black, but making it distribute counters on block makes it too much.

"Keep it simple"

basically a free artifact destroy? Maybe it only adds 2 back of each?

A monogreen version already exists.

excuse me I'm retarded go about your business

if you can't beat a fog bank, the problem isn't the fog bank.

I think the bigger problem is its potential for Uba Mask locks and dodging/resetting hate cards like Static Orb and Tangle Wire, as well as soft ramp by resetting mana rocks in formats like Commander. There aren't a ton of useful flicker targets among artifact creatures, but some are probably gross enough to be concerning, like Duplicant, Skuller, and Strix.

>spend an hour trying to make an interesting kraj planeswalker
>realize literally every interesting idea you want to do is horribly overpowered

For your archival pleasure.

Was making some WH commanders for fun and found that "dies during combat" is only used once in the history of the game and way back in Tempest

I wonder why, it seems like a pretty useful and simple effect

Most of the time it doesn't really matter.

>Also, Timeanon, how do you feel about Magic going to Eqypt plane after Kaladesh?
Not too bad, actually. I'm also drawing inspiration from some other cultures, and I'm doing some pretty distinct mechanical and flavor stuff, so I don't think their set will devalue mine too much. Plus, I'm almost through with the uncommons, so I should finish before Amonkhet spoilers even start to drop.

I think there are probably a number of "when a blocking/attacking creature dies" effects out there as well, which could have the same general effect.

Also would "dies during combat" mean that creatures who are neither blocking nor attacking but die (somehow) during the combat phase would count towards the trigger or not?

>
Also would "dies during combat" mean that creatures who are neither blocking nor attacking but die (somehow) during the combat phase would count towards the trigger or not?
Yeah, it consists of the beginning, declare phases, and end of combat.

Wording seems clunky, but I believe it is correct.

so this is supposed to work on creatures with activated abilities, etc...? I think it'd be something like, at the end of the declare attackers step (that way it gives them a chance to block (which I believe this intends to), I feel like the current iteration doesn't specify a timing correctly.

So if I tap a creature to activate an ability in precombat main phase, then go to combat, that creature is considered attacking. Does that mean it'll deal damage just like any other attacking creature? I like it.

>At the beginning of each combat phase, attacking player untaps each tapped creature he or she controls. Those creatures attack this turn if able.

Might be a little simpler?

I'm beginning a project which has swirled around in my head for a while now. A return to Tarkir.
Before I go full autistic about my super special snowflake plot, etc, I thought I'd post this first set of trial uncommons.
Any and all critiques are accepted.
Also, if anyone has any good art resources that aren't in the OP pasta, let me know.

Narset seems underpowered. Also
>When ~ enters the battlefield, choose target instant or sorcery card in your graveyard. ~ deals damage to target creature equal to the number of cards in your graveyard that share a name with that card.
perhaps.

Somebody is going to freak out about how Base P/T isn't a referable attribute of an object and then we're going to get into a long argument about how even if it isn't under current rules, stretching the rules to allow it isn't terrible egregious.

I was thinking of making the red guy X+2 but I was concerned about that being too much. Then again, he's basically a way worse Flametongue Kavu as is.
As for Mr. White, little creatures matter is the theme of his colours, so I wanted to have him show that. I see how people could get bootyblasted about that, but really as you said it's just opinions on that really.

Broken or shit? Can't quite decide.

The problem is that you throw it in Dredge and you've got an 8/8 beater for freesies that prevents creatures with non-0 power from existing on your opponent's board. Not that Dredge is a great metric by which to judge cards, but still.

It needs to have to be cast first, because getting an 8/8 for free with upside from milling is ridiculous.
>Whenever ~ dies, return it to the battlefield under its owner's control with eight +1/+1 counters on it.

I can't believe I didn't think about dredge. Goes to show how much actual MtG I play anymore. This fix the problem?

Since you're making a full set I'm going to go ahead and talk about these with drafting in mind.

>Undertaker
Functional but boring.

>Disciple
In draft this is basically a 3/1 prowess for 4 with a ping 1 on ETB. I'd say either bake it 1RR or damage equal to number of total inst./sorc. cards, or maybe a choice between number of instants or number of sorceries.

>Brood
This seems awful. You want to cast it for X=huge, but you can't do that unless your board got wiped or you milled your entire deck? AND you don't get to recur/delve those creature cards? I'd remove the extra cost and change the regeneration to cost 1G and maybe exile any 2 or 1 creature card.
Another possibility would be to fix the cost at, say, 2GG and give it "As ~ ETBs, exile all creature cards from your graveyard. ~ ETBs with that many +1/+1 counters."

>Mystic
It seems like this isn't going to do anything other than its ETB. Make it a 3/1 or something; as it is it looks more like a Jeskai card. I also dislike the "you control" / "you don't control" part of the ability. Sure that's how you're going to use it most of the time, but using stuff like this counterintuitively is one of my favorite things in Magic. Just imagine giving your opponent's Spellskite hexproof in response to them redirecting your bolt. Doesn't that sound like fun?

>Initiate
As the other user said, we talked about "base" P/T" a couple threads ago. Basically Wizards never uses it like this, but the rules don't actually say you can't; you'd just specify that it refers to layer such and such somewhere in the comprehensive rules. If you don't want to deal with that you can always try to find other wording that have a similar effect, e.g. basing it on CMC or making it trigger on combat (whenever a creature with P/T 1/1 you control attacks or blocks, it gets +1/+1 until end of turn, etc.).
Other than that I like how it tells you how it wants to be played without needing a lot of text.

Help with wording, balance, etc would be appreciated. Yes there will be a fifth, I haven't thought of a fun thing to put into it's text box and don't want to force it.
Those were really helpful user, thanks so much. Some of the choices made here were to do with set mechanics, so maybe I'll post a set of uncommons which show those mechanics off, might make things make a bit more sense. I'll definitely take your suggestions into account, thanks again!

Having "instead" makes it a replacement effect, but "Whenever" implies that its a triggered ability. I'd prefer a triggered, because it means it doesn't dodge graveyard hate, which is how most decks would take care of this beastie, but the two variants are
>If ~ would die, exile it instead, then return it to the battlefield under your control with eight +1/+1 counters on it.
>When ~ dies, return it to the battlefield under your control with eight +1/+1 counters on it.

I'd say make it an 8/8, cut the last ability, and just have a supremely sticky beater. It having repeated removal on itself is ABSOLUTELY broken, because you can just spam the removal ability as much as you'd like. Oh, they have more than eight creatures? Just kill Ouroboros by repeated activations and you get more counters, so you can just activate it again.

Yasova's Wisdom is going to end up with any smart opponent picking something impossible like Tribal, so you might as well just not let them pick. Unless multiplayer shenanigans is what you want.

I assume there's +1/+1 counter synergy for Daghatar's Protection, or I'd say just give it +6/+6.

Khansguy here, with regard to Yasova's wisdom it was originally going to be creature, noncreature or land. I thought that might be too much and so went with what I have. What does /ccg/ think?

>Wisdom
Honestly there's no reason for your opponent to do anything at all here. Their choice only matters if you flip 7+ types. How likely is that?

>Valor
I'd prefer it as an instant, even if you usually use it aggressively.

>Protection
Okay, technically this is different from just giving it +6/+6, but is it really worth the trouble? Could also be 1 cheaper.

>Revenge
Mind Rot + Zombify is mono black. Also consider that on turn 6, people tend to have no cards or lands in hand, at least in limited, so the discard doesn't do much. Can't really come up with anything on the spot, though. Maybe take a look at Extract from Darkness and go from there.

I was thinking of having Revenge mill them instead, but then it's just that one card that was recently reprinted in EMA. I'll rework it entirely I think. Perhaps copying a creature in a grave,รก la Body Double.
Protection gave counters due to my autism wanting it to echo Daghatar's abilities on his card, but it would clean the text up so much to get rid of the counters part and just have it be +6/+6.
Wisdom I already referred to above.
Valor i thought may be too cheap at instant, but then again it is a rare, and Rally the peasants is an uncommon and is somewhat similarly costed.

Forgot my image, sorry.
Rip apart my shitty mythic, your (You)s give me life.

Valor costs 5 mana so if you pass the turn holding it up it's going to be very obvious and thus the opponent can play around it, so I don't think it being an instant could ever make it OP.

>... their hands revealed.
If his title is oppressor I think his evasion should mirror that. I suggest getting rid of the conditional hexproof and make it a double meddling mage on ETB or something. Maybe make it a 5/5 to go along with the other iterations.

At the end of the step seems better, even if referring to phases and steps is odd.

That's what I intended: for utility creatures to be marked as attacking. Untapping creatures would inevitably end up with the player just tapping them again though.

I think you need to declare who those creatures are attacking.
>At the end of each player's declare attackers step, he or she chooses another player. Each tapped creature he or she controls attacks the chosen player this combat. (Those creatures attack even if they're tapped or otherwise couldn't attack.)
Or something like that.

Alternatively
>At the beginning of combat on each player's turn, untap all creatures that player controls. They attack this turn if able.
>During combat on each player's turn, players can't tap creatures to cast spells or activate abilities.

Or even
>At the beginning of combat on each player's turn, untap all creatures that player controls. They attack this turn if able.
>During combat, players can't cast spells or activate abilities.

>Tapped creatures can attack as if they were untapped. Tapped creatures attack each turn if able.

That's how I'd write it.

Pic somewhat related maybe.

I dunno if he's actually a demon, but I think in Magic canon Demons are artificial constructs of pure black mana, and so can't have sparks. Correct me if I'm wrong, though, because I can't remember where I heard that originally.

Also, aside from making a green beast, could really be mono-Red.

Well it looks like the wording on that card was somewhat different than what I threw out there. Either way, my point was, it's best not to skip the part where they're declared as attackers.

Say that to Ob Nixilis.

To be fair, ob wasn't always a demon.

Isn't there a golem planeswalker? As in, an actual literal construct? Would be weird if a golem could have a spark but a demon couldn't. But yeah, weird for a demon to be green and weird for a demon to be un-black.

Karn was given his spark by venser.

I like lands. I'm going to post some lands.

Alright, well safe to say there is some wiggle room here.

That thing can instantly wipe an entire board. You can also discard it (turn one with something like Faithless Looting) and then wipe you're opponent's creatures. It can dodge exile removal by killing itself as well.

An idea for a sort of dual land.

I believe the second ability excludes them from having the basic land type. Lands that also have the type only tap for the one or two colors of mana and nothing else.

That's not true at all.

People either love these or hate them. I think they're neat.

The only other examples I can see are from Lorwyn/Shadowmoor. And by "basic", I meant the land subtype which allows it to be searched.

There's nothing that prevents lands with subtypes having extra mana abilities.

And this was a weird idea I had.

The only example of such things occurring is in the Lorwyn/Shadowmoor block, which is what I said.
Every other land except the few in that block specifically, omit the subtype.

There's a difference between haven't and can't.

There's also such a thing as following precedence and modern design philosophies. Just because a land taps for a certain color of mana doesn't mean it can or should have the subtype.

That might be the best way to do it. I did want to avoid some attack triggers, but both multiplayer and planeswalkers require targets to be pointed out as mentions.

All things done and done, you still get access to two colors of mana untapped. Even when your opponent uses it, you still get the better half of the exchange (being colored mana as opposed to generic).

These shouldn't be basic lands. Also how does it even work? Are they just all the same front side with different backs?

>All things done and done, you still get access to two colors of mana untapped. Even when your opponent uses it, you still get the better half of the exchange (being colored mana as opposed to generic).
Well, yes. A dual land doesn't need a massive downside, so the fact that you get the better end of the deal is by design.

>These shouldn't be basic lands.
They have to be: otherwise would could only have 4 of them because they all have one side with the same name. I could use the Relentless Rats "any number of cards named X" ability, but that would just add more lines of text to an already fairly full card.

>Also how does it even work? Are they just all the same front side with different backs?
Yes.

What does melee do?

When a creature with melee attacks, it gets +1/+1 for each opponent that you've attacked this turn.

Most duals enter tapped because otherwise it's just a strict upgrade of playing a basic land. Having access to more than one type of mana on an untapped land is pretty important, which is why it's so limited in the first place.

By definition, a basic land is just that. Basic.
I don't actually like the concept of "morph for lands", but it can be solved almost identically as morph cards, with the front face being normal and the reverse side being the land. An opponent already can't look at a face-down card.

I feel like Yasova's Wisdom would be more interesting if the choices were made before the reveal. Also that way your opponent can't just choose something that didn't get revealed. If they are smart enough they'll choose tribal anyway.

That's simple, but cool for multi player.

It was introduced in Conspiracy 2 and I have to say it's pretty good.

Multi-mode cards changed to a new format. Takes up more lines, but easier to read. Now it's
Choose one --
:: blah blah blah

That's probably why I'm not familiar with it, I haven't really looked at that yet.
Right I made this a bit before they changed it, I'll edit it later.

You spelled "skittish" wrong

So I did. I fixed it, but I try not to eat up the image limit with minor fixes.

A land really shouldn't have an ability this powerful, as it essentially can't be countered. But if you want to keep it, at least make it sacrifice itself for the ability.

So a better mountain?