Malifaux General - big party in the city edition

Books;
mega.nz/#F!M9dyDTrI!eNYCwqvg4iPWy_z-M0P9dw

Book 1 - Basic Rules and first wave of updated (from 1st edition of malifaux) models
Book 2 - Second wave of updated models
Book 3 - Campaign system and new M2E models
Book 4- ??? plz

Discord voice chat for malifaux chat and memery : discord.gg/xWkuFRz

Through the Breach Fated Almanac - Basic rules for the RPG set in Malifaux
Through the Breach Fatemaster Almanac - GM stuff for the RPG

>What is Malifaux?
Malifaux is a 32mm Skirmish Tabletop game, with a focus on completing several different objectives, while denying your opponent their objectives.
New Gaining Grounds Tournament Rules:
themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/114900-gaining-grounds-2016/

Thread topics:
>most hated faction to play against
>most hated master to play against
>your faction
>your favorite master/model

plz respond to OP with any imgur card links you have so they can be compiled for next thread

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/vJ5g0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Have most of the new cards, I'm doing another album with upgrades but I'm a lazy shit so.

imgur.com/a/vJ5g0

Arcanists
Ramos
>your faction
Guild
Lucius

>>most hated faction to play against
Ressers maybe. I leave a whole lot of corpses around as Gremlins.
>>most hated master to play against
Pandora. Most masters that target WP are annoying, but she manages to take it to the next level.
>>your faction
Gremlins. I'm thinking about jumping into ressers though.
>>your favorite master/model
Hard to pick.
I really like Nico and Somer.

>Ramos
Why Ramos?
Don't like the summoned swarms?

stud

Probably 10T because I get dicked on their rules most. I don't have a problem with the faction so much as some of the people I've played against.
Lynch, I really dislike seeing that cocksucker on the other side because my deck seems to go cold on me every time. Still I need to learn how to work around him in the future.
>your faction
I own almost every master for every faction, Ressers is easiest for me, but I started with Neverborn.
Molly for Master, Probably the Coryphee for models though.

It's lots of things all together. Summoning multiple models from 1 AP, Df6 significant models at that, in a faction with the most powerful upgrades in the game and some of the best models.

I started playing Sandeep and it's amazing how easy it is to win with Arcanists. And Sandeep has nothing on Ramos or Collette.

-Any dual faction because their access to varied play styles makes me buttblasted.
-Oppressive ones that make your actions feel useless, like Hamelin, Jack, Kirai
-Leveticus
-The m1e Mechrider art, all physical incarnations are garbage. Don't even care for its abilities, just want that model.

Ronins are 6 in faction, Whisperers are 5+1 for mercenary tax.
I will probably have to choose one or the other as having enough crew left over to scheme well is hard. Or I have to get better at denial.
I just can't see how a Ronin can compare given their inability to move great distances. It seems to me the entire crew concept would have to change if they were the delivery system.

>>most hated faction to play against
Ten Thunders
>>most hated master to play against
Shenlong
>>your faction
Neverborn
>>your favorite master/model
Collodi

>And Sandeep has nothing on Ramos or Collette.
I don't think I'd go that far. But I see what you're getting at.

>Book 4- ??? plz
Fellow burgers, what places offer self serve scanning services without much oversight? My scanner died of old age.

>-The m1e Mechrider art, all physical incarnations are garbage. Don't even care for its abilities, just want that model.
Aaand color scheme for m2e mechrider found.

Libraries, usually.

Mine has free scanning as long as you bring your own flash drive.

Ressers. I have a hard time dealing with being swarmed.
Molly
>your faction
Outcast
To play, Viktoria of Ash. But I am loving Parker since it's the first master box that I built and painted on my own.

thisfedex kinkos dont care either if you come in around 11pm. i have yet to find an employee that wasn't stoned at that time

>But I am loving Parker since it's the first master box that I built and painted on my own.
I really dig the cape.
How's the paint job look, being your first time?

Haven't been to a library in over a decade, they must be better now. Thanks for the tip.
Those two are quite specialized, I think Sandeeps versatility allowed him to compensate better, don't sleep on him.

Well, I'd been painting for maybe a few months, but here's what I did. I still have some detailing/highlighting/drybrushing work to do. But, this really is the best work I've done thus far...this or the Obsidian Oni I painted for my brother.

He pays me in paints/supplies/models to do the work for him.

I was shooting for 'useful to hide in the woods'. I think I might add some black to the basing to give the wood a charred feel.

Does anyone possibly have a link to "Into the Steam" and the Quarantine suplements? I wanna read them before I decide to pick them up and my local game store is not carrying them since barely anyone plays Malifaux here.

Personally, I like those books more than the core beyond fluff and rules. I love the Tarot for both compared to the one from the core rules as they do a great job of flavor. The Gremlin one is also equally fun.

Just sad no one in my group wanted to roll a Gremlin.

Looks pretty good to me.
I'm a terrible painter, after years of practice.

Lookin good

So much base

Thanks user! I look at some of the work here and I get sad. If I had a better camera app on my phone I'd do a series showing my progress over the past half year.

*thinks with dread about the globby mess that was my brother's oiran*

Gremlins are in there?!?! Now I defiantly wanna see those books.

Hey user! Glad to see your gremlin collection expanding. Great work on that Bayou Gremlin. Glad you won it. Is that a lara croft ophelia in the back there?

As far as mine, aside from the obsdian oni success and the Parker crew. I attempted reverse luigi on Johan. But there wasn't quite enough shirt to make it work.

It is pronounced mali-foe, like faux pas, or mali-fax or fox? Always wondered.

Mali-foe. Badfake. It's French.

damn, wish i woulda thought of laura croft for her before i did it. just went with the artwork but with red hair.

gonna start playing games before I buy any more stuff though, depending on what the wyrd sales bonus thing is this month

like faux pas

Ok, just for you. I'll snap a picture of one of the pursuits. Here are your choices (with class descriptions by me)
>Play as Zoraida
>Shotgun God
>Drunk McBoozehound
>Kinda Play as McCabe
>Mimic w/ some Vik things
>Evander Gremlinfield
>The Pig Whisperer
>Trapper

The advanced pursuits are...
Master Musician
Play as Somer
Lightning Bug
Rocketeer
Taxidermist.

One of these pursuits has the "Come with me if you want to live" ability.

>Just sad no one in my group wanted to roll a Gremlin.
I'd definitely want to run an all gremlin party.

Although it'd be fun to be the only gremlin in a party.
>Where all the pink women at?

I uhh
Hard choice all of them sound fucking hilarious.
Hmmm but I probably would have to go with Rocketeer... Or Boozehound or pigwhisperer... SHIT. UHH ROCKETEER BECAUSE MAYBE BLOWING YOUR SELF UP?

Anybody have advice for a new Nico player?
I'm thinking about picking him up next.

It's got to be the best career, it's got the shortest life expectancy.

>advice
Buy some mindless zombies
"Yes that ought to do nicely."

How many is enough?
Mortimer + Carrion Emissary can drop 3+ a turn. Should I have a dozen on hand just in case?

5-6 is more than enough, if you have more than that you are probably wasting too much time making them.

I thought more is always better. Especially since it'd let you out activate.

He is going to outactivate, but if you aren't taking advantage of the fact that he can summon out of mindless zombies as well you probably aren't playing him as well as you could. that's why i say 5-6 is probably the high point, any more and I don't think you are using him to the best of his abilities.

While I try and figure out how to make my camera not take crappy pictures. Here's some interior art.

Don't forget about Canine Remains. With those and Maniacal Laugh you can do some really crazy shit.

NO STOP
DO NOT WASTE CROWS TRYING TO DIG WITH CANINES
Nico need those crows more than the dogs do.

How are the starter box dudes with dreamer?

New gremlinette confirmed

That guy looks like a gremlin with TT hair and tats

Good but you will quickly want some stitched together, and probably a widow weaver, Mr. Tannen, a Teddy or all three. To throw into the list.

Planning to resell the Wild Ones, so that should be doable I think

Also some insidious madness as they run schemes like crazy

Sounds good. Is this for summons or Chompy?

I kinda dig this one too. But boxer gremlin is going to be my character if I'm ever not forevergm

More for summons but the wonderful thing about dreamer is that so long as you have the nightmares you can really build him either way.

I would say Tannen goes into any list no question. His +2 on masks is too good to ignore. Widow weaver with some that attacks WP can make an entire section of the board toxic to deal with and teddy loves it when people fail their WP saves. Considering I have 4 teddies I would probably be that Asshole who runs 2, but you could also Alp spam as they only cost 3 points. I think the only drawback to weaver is her mightly cost of 8 + 2 ss for the handbag.

Response to the last thread
>
>What do you mean by 'trap'? I thought that Candy's healing ability works well with Lucius' Devil's Deal, and could even help with Stitched Together's failed Gambles. Plus she brings 4ss to the cache (if i understood correctly..). Is she just overpriced or too squishy?
>Okay, I hadn't noticed Hans before and...damn, yeah, he would seem to work pretty, pretty great with the copying abilities. Probably going to try to make Candy work for a start, and if/when I get sick of losing I'll switch to Hans.

My problem with candy is that her set up usually takes too much and it offers your opponent the choice of how they activate their stuff (unless you manage to get the trigger off of her ranges attack then kudos to you) and I HATE how squishy I find her for 9ss. She wants to be close but can't take a charge there is just so much better shit out there for 9 ss which is a shame because I ADORE her model. I ran a crew with her as the leader for shifting loyalties and almost every game I found myself wishing I had taken another henchman.

I dunno if you really like her have fun with her but I'd rather take someone who I know can get the job done and has a reliable long ranged attack that I can copy with the changlings and doppleganger.

So, that went to shit. CampaignAnon here. I had not read the rulebook as deep as I thought I did. Also, one of our players is now mad at me.

I got everyone together, and made a production of shuffling up the deck, having another player cut it, and a third player flip for our weekly event. Black Joker. Anything that's killed this week is automatically finished off, then flip again. We got Ampersand, which is basically +1 Armour if you're within 6" of a 50mm base put in the centre of the table, but still.

Then we flipped for schemes and strats. Everybody would be doing the same ones for the week. Wanted to make it fancy.
Deployment: Standard. Phew. okay, taht's not too bad.

Strategy: Reckoning. Well, shit. Combine that with A Bad Moon Rises from the Black Joker, and you're gonna see some shit. Maybe the schemes will help it get less killy?

Assassinate
Bodyguard
Vendetta
Plant Explosives.

Fuck. Everything.

So can Gremlins actually grow facial hair?

I find it weird that Old Cranky has hair, but all the male gremlins don't have any except for the taxidermist. I can't picture gremlins having any sense of hygene or grooming.

get fucked nerds.

Seriously though, with plant explosives and the centerline scheme that is always in there is a "non-violent" option

Ulix grew a beard.

Hog Whisperer has a beard.

Also, I'd misread severalt hings. I've never read the book as thoroughly as I think I did. No matter when I read it last. No matter how many times I've read it. You'd think I'd learn.

Today's extra special fuckup hour is me thinking that the Max Injuries on the Injuries chart is how many it takes to Annihilate a model, rather than the max before it's annihilated. Why did I think that? I don't fucking know, I'm apparently retarded. This led to one of our players, who was doing Titania and got told that she couldn't proxy literally her entire crew, losing her Totem. Oh yeah, she's doing Viktorias now. The fucking whirlwinds of death. Vik of Blood, 3 Ronin, and the Totem. And we got the killy schemes. Fuck.

So I put down the Peon, and bring up that it can only take 1 injury and then dies, and she sulks the rest of the night. I then wind up against a relatively new Guild player, who I'm trying to bring into the fold. Maybe we can play something light and gentle and not so much about killing models, since Ampersand and A Bad Moon Rises last all week?

Strategy: Reckoning.

Schemes:
Murder Protege
Breakthrough
Entourage
Assassinate

I guess it's a little better? But everyone's crew's already gone to shit. Except for ms. Maxed Out Luck Stat, who's running Viktoria. Who loses ONLY Viktoria, and decides to Strategic Withdrawal out of frustration. Apparently her list "Doesn't work without the totem".

then why does Wong need to gum up his moustache?

So, as of the time I left, the Ortegas player I was playing against (Latigo Posse box and a counts-as Pistolero) had lost Papa Loco and the Pistolero, I'd lost the Shadow Effigy and the Lone Swordsman, I don't even KNOW what happened to the guy running Dashel, and our Viks player lost her Totem. Because I couldn't read a fucking book. So we're going to say that the games happened, but after the bad moon rose, a grand sun burned it away, and all Injuries were lost. Let's hope next week is better. Or at least involves less goddamn Reckoning.

Some people can't grow facial hair. maybe gremlins are the same.

Like my beard can't grow past 3 inches, even if I grow out my stache and wax it every day I can't grow a fu manchu.

Couldn't you just redo the week. Just let everyone know that the mistake was made and call it practice. If you have to compensate, then give everyone a free pull on the barter flip win or lose.

Essentially the injury table is a cap, which when met doesn't auto-kill the model? Hopefully your campaign goes better. I wish that I had more than three dudes to play a campaign with myself.

I was tempted, but the Viks player was very much against it, and she was already super salty. It's a small community, standing your ground on shit when people are already angry is a good way to get them to leave and the community to fall apart. Sometime later in the week (Probably Saturday or so) I'll message them and suggest something more fair. Doing this on 2 hours of sleep and a Five Hour Energy poured into an Ubermonster was probably not my smartest choice, but fuck it, we agreed to this weeks ago.

Fair enough, I can respect that. I played four campaigns if you need any help or got any questions. Hell, I'll flip for next weeks' shit if you like.

On another sidenote, the most insane crap I've seen was my Sebastian crew (bad idea by the way you guys), having a divalicious crew where both nurses and belles cost 1 extra soul stone from the Big Head disadvantage and McM took injuries every match and ended up going on mythic journeys. So he'd never show up until turn 3. Waste of an avatar form.

But then I had one with Vik of Blood where she got Von Schill rocket shoos and +1 reach. That was the best.

What book are the gremlins rules in?

Into the Bayou, the books that came out at Gencon

Yep that one. And it's a fun read. The tarot for Chargen is only for gremlin characters and has you swimming down the bayou river. Every character gets a de/buff flaw. Like "I resist burning damage...but I also can catch fire if I'm anywhere near a torch"

Gimme a good set of strats and schemes for 4 players, with:
Sensei Yu's Home for Masterless Models (Effigy, Sniper, Brother, and Swordsman, atm)
Captain Dashel's Rifle Corp (with Austringer spotters, and Miss Fortune here on her own business)
The aforementioned Viktorian Mercenary Troupe
and The Latigo Posse.

>Miss Fortune
Fucking...This is like the fifth time I've done this. Miss Terious. The one with the pine box. You know what I mean.

I want that so bad now. My most memorable PC was a Goblin Alchemist/Pyromaniac that lit himself and foes on fire.

sure thing mate. Lemme open up my book...

Weekly event: Soulstone Vein
Deploy: Corner
Strat: Reconnoiter
Schemes:
Line in the Sand
Vendetta
Plant Evidence
Breakthrough
Distract

One HUGE thing to keep in mind is that injuries are not always a bad thing. They tank your campaign rating, which gives you extra soul stones equal to the difference for the lower rated crew. Also, any dead models affect the SS max of the crew.

What that means is that...
>The crews missing models force the bigger crew to play with less stuff
>The crews with more injuries can go into games with 15 SS if they are banged up enough.

So the Vik player might find things competitive especially since hiring new models always gives you a, I believe, 5 SS discount on your very first choice.

Oh and I'd suggest poking folks to take bounties. They are fun extra goals and can net you some insanely great stuff.

Me again, with the formulas to help.
Game Size
>Smaller SS cost arsenal +5. Meaning if the smaller team brings everything, they get +5 SS. +Difference in campaign rating if theirs is lower.
>Masters count as 15 point models.

Campaign Ratings
> # of campaign upgrades - # of injuries
The gremlin book is really good. Honestly, I'm kinda tempted on saying that the source books are all better than the core pursuits but I'm not experienced enough in the game to say.

>Smaller SS cost arsenal +5. Meaning if the smaller team brings everything, they get +5 SS. +Difference in campaign rating if theirs is lower.
This actually felt really weird. If everyone starts with 35ss of models and upgrades, or close to it, doesn't that mean that everyone will have +4 or 5 stones for the first few games?

Also, if max injuries doesn't annihilate someone, how do models get annihilated?

Think of max injuries as the magic pixel in a video game. One more injury after that (barring lucky results that don't count) = death

See, that's what I'd thought, but this had me confused. I'm heading to bed- maybe this will make sense with sleep. Thanks.

Is three nurses to many in a 50ss game?
I'm planing a McMourning list focused on flesh constructs.

Archanists
I tend to have an upward battle every time I play against them.
Lucius.
My brother is really good at the game and is generally my most common opponent. That masked fop is his master of choice.
>your faction
Neverborn mostly, but been dabbling in Kirai ressurectionists.
Favorite master is Lilith, I have fun running her.
Model is the Doppelganger, I saw a really well painted version of her and the creepiness of it drew me into the game originally.
Well, that and my brother's insistence I join so he would have someone to play regularly.

what kind of stuff do you run with lilith? what do you think I should pick up after her box, waldgeist, and also have access to the zoraida box stuff

Parker user from last thread, didn't end up getting a game because I had to finish up the local Warmachine Journeyman League. First game with him is definitely on Saturday though, I'm looking forward to it a lot. Anyone have tips on what to try with his box and Convict Gunslingers?

Personally, I found that two nurses were too many. As great as they are, I found myself pitching low cards to get the suits I wanted and they were simply too slow to keep up outside of a Jack crew. What was your list's plan?

Normally I go full nephlim party and they arekinda mono-directional, I'll chuck in Teddy and Dopple on occasion but not much.
I'm probably not the best to ask really.

I've never played McMourning before and have no real plan past trying to make as many Frankenstine's monsters as possible.
I'm using the McM crew box for the base and I already have some zombie dogs from some other company, the two old metal nurses and two of the now dead Carnevale Frankenstine minis, along with assorted bits and bobs around the place so I don't think I need to buy anything extra for now.

Also, here are some pics of my 2 crews. First off, Parker Barrows with the minis I mentioned in the last post

And second crew, Jack Daw. This crew is Jack's box, 2 Hanged and Jaakuna. Both crews I love for thematic reasons, although until the Dead Bandits release don't gel well together IMO

A silly rules questin from a newbie:

When a model has an attack action that has a built-in suit (For example Ca 7+mask), does it mean that for the attack to be succesful, I have to flip, cheat or buy the suit with soulstone for the attack to work, or that the attack always counts as having that suit to begin with? If the latter, then what purpose does the suit serve if the model or action has no triggers with the suit in question?

if it's got a suit built into the TN then you need to flip or cheat one, when it's part of the cast action you don't need to. As for what purpose it serves I have no idea.

Some upgrades and I think models give out triggers, it's also future proofing, if an upgrade comes out later that gives something a trigger it can be built in.

Does the TTB Male Kit have any good parts for use for Von Schills Robot Hand and Leg?

Fuck, name was from another thread.
I want Von Schill to be sorta true to the current story, but also because I'm an unoriginal fag ill paint him up as Venom Snake.

You have the confidence to paint your crew even though you aren't picasso. I wish i had that. I'm afraid of "ruining" models.

I picked up the wild ones and i'm starting guild, i'm wondering that since that box doesn't come with wastrels are they worth getting hold of? if they are i'd probably have to make them using the multi part kits

Wastrels are pretty versatile and rather nice, but for me guild is only "borrowing sonnia and lucius from a friend" or playing Guild McMourning.

The painting on that dress is really impressive, nice job.

1-2 can be useful, you'd probably never run 3+. They're cheap, significant minions that can heal, shoot, and do fun stuff with upgrade tossing and card cycling.

Get Hounds ASAP

Dunno about Guild, but for TT at least there's a dozen better options. Pretty much all 4 SS TT units are better than the Wastrels.

McCabe makes them solid, with having an upgrade on them makes them a nice card cycled. They can also be pretty scary with the glowing sabre. Don't think I'd take them in any other crew though.

They're great. But two is probably the most you'll need.
You should be pretty set.
I would grab Rafkin and some guild autopsys, at some point. Belles are also a great buy. They have the strongest lure in the game and can ruin your opponent's plans or save your models if you over extend.

McMourning is a lot of fun. With poison pushes and scalpel slinging he can be all over the place murdering things. Abracadaver is great. But don't count on getting it off more then a couple times a game.