EDH/Commander General

"Hidetsugu is sick of your shit" edition

Old thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface. (Outdated)
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/12-06-16-wort-the-raidmother-edh/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/up-to-no-good-1/?cat=type
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/01-09-16-memnarch-madness/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Kinda want to build a mogis stax deck. What are some musts?

I think my group would hate me forever if I built Hidetsugu

I'm gonna do it

Ashling is the best commander.

Which Ashling?

The only relevant one of course.

I just want a Red/White commander that makes combat a little more involved. Something like a Sigarda, Heron's Grace, but in RW. Lots going on, not a build-around, but also not just a deck that encourages hitting people with stuff.

That's a funny way of spelling "Maelstrom Wanderer".

I love your pet nicknames for Zedruu.

Maybe not musts, but:
Bloodchief Ascension, Painful Quandary, Kaervek, Aether Flash, Tainted Aether, Burning Sands, Lethal Vapors, Mana Barbs, Price of Glory, Smokestack, Deathcloud, Jokulhaups, Blood Moon and Magus, all the gravepact and fleshbag marauder effects.

Basically anything that keeps their creatures and lands off the battlefield while you slowly ping them to death.

I'm building a memnarch deck, at the suggestion of the nice user in the previous thread. Now, I already have most of the basic counterspell artifact nonsense, from blightsteel and unwinding clock, to daze and force spike, but I'm looking for some deep cuts on things that I should include, preferably on a moderate budget. I already have a good chunk of cards I think I would need, but I`m open to any sub $30 suggestions, and maybe one or two more expensive ones.

Post your salty surprises.

Brion Stoutarm is fun because he incentivizes you to play a lot of really big creatures and threaten effects.

Mana Drain

>Mana Drain
Way too rich for my blood, I don't have $224 bucks just lying around.

I've been losing my mind since the spoiling of Leovold to design a deck for him.

I've seen some lists ranging from "wtf are you doin" to some really evil/expensive stuff. I like the idea of a wheel/control deck, but I don't know how to come up with a wincon. I see a lot of people using LabMan + Doomsday as the wincon, but I really feel like that's unsatisfying and I might pull off the win once then never want to play it again. I dunno, I guess I feel like "you win" wincons are not interactive enough.

I've considered the elfball route, but haven't seen any decent lists for this. I figure I'd spew elves, maybe merge Nath + Edric type cards? I do have a foil doubling season I'd like an excuse to run.

Prior to his spoiling, I had also been working on a Sygg deck with lots of specters and cipher effects to look at opponent hands and discard selectively. This might work well with Leovold as he efficiently can destroy opponent hands. I could then use some evasive dudes and Megrim/Liliana's Caress/Waste Not to create zombies/deal discard damage. I do want an excuse to run them. Also Bitterblossom + Oona's blackguard.

Kuldotha Forgemaster, Tinker, Fabricate, Mox Opal.

Just play a bunch of tutors, ramp, and a tooth and nail package. You can fetch the ten mana kill for competitive playgroups (palinchron+fierce empath, fetch deadeye, play, make infinite mana, flicker empath for a card draw source)
Or you can get less cutthroat stuff like rune scarred demon + woodland bellower for the more casual groups.

Building grenzo.

Is there anything like "When a creature attacks, all creatures that player controls attack the same player"

I tried searching gatherer but I'm not sure how it would be worded.

is this not better in every way, except maybe in dealing with lifegain fags?

>kuldotha forgemaster
I'm running that, and his favorite friends, Myr Battlesphere and Wurmcoil.
>Fabricate
Got one of those as well.
>Tinker
I didn't know about that bad boy. Thanks!
>Mox Opal
Oh fuck, that's going to cost me a shitload of canadabux. Last I looked I swear it was $80+. Good thing I have a few spare Avacyn lying around.

Thanks so much for your help. Do you have any experience playing it?

I think this is what you're looking for

Probably the strongest combo in the game.

Tinker is banned.

I'm not familiar with the ten mana kill you are referring to. I have all the pieces for that infinite mana combo, but where do I go with said mana?

Doesn't surprise me. As soon as I saw it, I had visions of degeneracy, but in my heart I knew there was no way it was legal and $4.

Have the past few sets given anything that might be useful to Edric?

Haven't played since Dragons

Tooth and nail for empath and palinchron. Empath for navigator, cast navigator, produce infinite mana.
Flicker the deadeye then bond it up to the fierce empath once you've got infinite mana. Then you flicker it for a rune scarred demon or something to fetch an exsanguinate or something.

Thanks, is there anything else like this? I'm going to try searching "all creatures that opponent ontrols attack" on gatherer but no idea if it will pull anything up.

I have an outline of him as a BUG storm since all the wheel effects works towards both strategies, but it's kinda expensive and after goldfishing it I realized it wouldn't be fun to play with or against.

So kinda in same spot as you.

>playing BUG
>expecting fun
kek

Quickly, without looking it up, what's Deadeye Navigators p/t?

5/5

Sorry, when I suggested it, I didn't check.

Thanks for telling me.

I did have another, weird, untested idea.

Once upon a time I was going to make an Arjun deck wherein I'd wheel myself repeatedly + Sphinx's Tutelage to mill out all my opponents. With Leovold, I might not be able to wheel myself as efficiently, but I could deny my opponents any cards in hand and do it to myself with teferi's puzzle box. I could also keep Lab Man in there if I am in a situation where I mill myself more efficiently. I could also include Library of Leng to stack my deck the way I want when I wheel. Then graveyard hate (so they don't tutor from their graveyard, incase the one card they have in hand could do that). I dunno, it feels like it needs too many pieces to work efficiently. Even with tutors.

There's Fumiko the Lowblood, Warmonger Dragon, Avatar of Slaughter, and Grand Melee.
Nothing that forces who they attack though. You could just use Mind Slaver as well.

Brion Stoutarm is all good, I quite dig it, he's just not quite my style. I play Red White because I love the soldiers, and even though it's fun to just slam people with them, a commander that encourages me to play a little more creatively would be nice. Brion is a great start, he's just not for me.

not that user but i want to play BUG but none of the commanders in those colors really call out to me...

That new RW legend from Conspiracy 2 might be up your alley(?). I feel she's a little overcosted but the Melee keyword could be fun in token swarms. Throw in new Genzo too, mass Melee + Goad could really turn the game into a combat brawl every turn.

Dimensional infiltrator is a cheap evasive creature with flash and an ability that can exile your opponents' libraries with infinite mana. Deepfathom skulker is another coastal piracy effect though six mana for that effect may be too much for Edric. Rattlechains is another cheap evasive creature with flash.

Damia is basically whatever you want her to be, she requires no support and supports every strategy that likes drawing cards.

Wharf Infiltrator is potentially Edric-worthy
Mausoleum Wanderer is a great addition imo

Adriana is, unfortunately, just Agrus Kos who's better in slightly different circumstances.

Oh, I also forgot:
Faerie Miscreant (or was that a reprint, I can't remember?)
Whirler Rogue + Thopter Spy Netowork if higher CMC is okay and/or if you have an interest/support for an artifact creature angle. I hope Kaladesh will give us lots more thopter-generators.

Too bad Blade of Selves doesn't activate Melee.

>Neo Grenzo as commander
>not in Ruhan "America Fuck Yeah"

Thanks guys good suggestions.
If Mausoleum was either an elf or faerie it would be literally perfect. Still too good to pass up.

I was thinking of creating a Wort, Auntie + Krenko + NeoGrenzo deck. Spamming red/black goblin tokens. Saccing them for fun and for profit.

I was considering making spellslinger Wort. All the token doublers, Walker Xenagos and that card that makes 4 Satyrs, some other token producing instants and sorceries, and then just out-value everyone with copied ramp and burn spells, and a massive doubled Genesis Wave into Craterhoof or something. Is this a good/fun strategy?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/12-06-16-wort-the-raidmother-edh/
Solid Wort list a friend made
I don't suggest Revel of the Fallen God because producing 16 power in 2/2s isn't really that powerful.
It's a very fun strategy, especially when people don't expect it.

Genesis wave is kinda awkward with an instant and sorcery based deck but yeah in general I fully support this idea, conspire is really fun

It's not THAT good because wort is 6cmc but it's decent

I just wanted them as conspire tokens, because they're in both colors. I'll take a look at the list when I'm at a PC, thanks a bunch.

In theory after all that copied ramp, a doubled Wave would hit lands and Behemoth/Ibex, and then you swing for the kill. If only I could use Epic Experiment.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/up-to-no-good-1/?cat=type

Alrighty, so here's a prototype of a menarch deck I quickly threw together with what I know I have off the top of my head. Admittedly, near the end I was a little sleepy so the manabase needs some work, but I'm open to suggestions. I have most of these cards in paper, hence no mycosynth latice or consecrated sphinx. I've never really built a deck like this before, so I'm not entirely sure how to balance the number of creatures to the rest of the deck.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/01-09-16-memnarch-madness/

Alpha strike.

No one is surprised.

That's jankier than it looks. It requires you to cast the blade and primal vigor first a turn before, and really, you're only going to get a 29/29 flier that doesn't have haste, and has no protection to anything. All in all, I give you a C-, you passed, but you didn't really impress anyone.

play Tajic with batallion, equipment and soldiers subthemes. add Sunforger for combat shenanigans like Master Warcraft, Fight to Death, and value spells like Path, Return to Dust, etc.

I'm being an idiot can waffling on the new Selvala, she's clearly a mono green commander right?
She's not 5 color?

Yeah she is just mono-green. Just like you can play Chromatic Lantern in any deck, being able to explicitly product any color mana doesn't make them have a Prisma Color Identity.

yes, she's mono green.

Picking up an Eldrazi Conscription for my UW aura/enchantment deck. Can't wait to piss my friends off with this little number.

Thank God.

Hanna, Ship's Navigator?

Yup.

>not just Prossh and Food Chain

Very nice. You running the super spicy Parallax Wave + Parallax Tide + Opalescence combo?

I have Wave and Tide but the way I've been playing the deck recently has been mostly pure beatdown, so the combo didn't seem to fit the synergy just right. I'm not opposed to being convinced to put it back in though. I actually didn't know about Opalescence until now though, how exactly does that card combo with the other two? Does it prevent them from fading out somehow?

Anyone play with wishes? How does your group handle it rules-wise?
So I pulled one of these bad boys from one of my CN2 packs and I'm thinking of adding a wishboard to my most competitive deck, 5c scion dragon tribal. It's neat that it's basically a split card with like 10 modes. I wanna replicate some effects from other cards in the deck as well as add some super narrow but situational answers. Here's what I came up with so far:
>mana geyser
>hallowed burial
>rampant growth
>windfall
>morningtide
>dragonstorm
>wave of vitriol
>conflux
>fearsome awakening
>treasured find
Do you guys have anything to add in terms of situational cards that could cover another base here? It doesn't have to be the exact cards listed here either, but any general effect of that type. So ramp, creature wipe, artifact Enchantment and nonbasic land hate, card draw, raveyard hate, recursion etc.

Okay, so the way the combo works is stack abuse in the finest, buckle yourself up.

>Opal mades Tide and Wave both creatures, so they are both legal targets for Wave
>Remove N-1 counters from Tide targeting N lands, don't let those trigger resolve.
>Remove 1 counter off Wave, targeting Tide to exile it.
>Tides "Return lands exiled with it" triggers then go on the stack. You let them resolve (but because the lands haven't been exiled yet, nothing happens)
>Remove a second counter off Wave, targeting itself. When it leaves it will trigger the return of itself and Tide with full counters.
>Repeat again and again until all of your opponents lands have been targeted with Tide.
>Blink Tide+Wave one final time.
>Let all of the activations resolve, exiling every land that every opponent has permanently (because all the return triggers have happened and each time the game sees the Tide as a new card)

As a part two to this, with just Wave+Opal, you can permanently exile all creatures using the same method of not letting the exile triggers resolve before the leaves the battlefield ability is triggered, so when you have all three pieces you can exile all lands and creatures on the board forever.

It ain't exactly secret tech, but it's so simple. Pic related + anything that gives deathtouch.

Well shit. I'm not even sure my play group would understand that hahaha

Basandra and mystic barrier.

It's this interaction (or Fiend Hunter + Restoration Angel) that I use to explain how the stack really works to people who think they understand how to play magic but have only scratched the surface. There are so many rules and weird interactions in Magic, it's great.

The weird interactions really are what separate the common players from the degenerate jank players.

Well I'm definitely going to pick up Opal to have this in my back pocket, but idk if I have it in me to run it all the time. I may be a blue player but I do like to let my friends have fun too, at least once in awhile.

I mean if at that point your opponents don't just scoop then I applaud them for their audacity. Because you can, at instant speed remove any land or creature they play. So at that point it's just a matter of casting Hanna and swinging at them until they're dead from commander damage.

But Opal in that deck is generally good anyway, because you turn your Enchants into creatures that can swing/block, and you can always bring them back with Hanna.

>mfw my LGS lets me use coax from blind eternities to grab aeon's torn
Its not cheating if they say its ok

>I may be a blue player but I do like to let my friends have fun too, at least once in awhile.

its a 3-piece combo meal friendo, each piece is 4 or 5 manaroos to boot

youre only going to have it out every once in a while

Tfw "banned in 99" and " banned as commander " were lumped together because "it was confusing for some people" having aeons torn be banned in 99 but legal as commander.
Tfw you will NEVER see annhilator 6 in the command zone for your colorless eldrazi rock ' n ' ramp deck
Tfw stuck with annhilator 4, + conscription to mimic annhilator 6.

Life is suffering

I understand why she is banned in the 99, and I agree. But i believe she could be fair in the command zone.

The version I'm running right now is actually much more aura based than it is non-aura. Basically the general idea is to tutor out Sunbond + a lifelink enabler and beef up Hanna or any number of other creatures that have evergreen abilities already built in to create creatures that are, ideally, hexproof, double strike, lifelink, unblockable, Sunboded gods that double in P/T every turn and net me immense amounts of life. Then, if one of my big dudes gets killed in one way or another, I just cycle the auras back out of the grave with Hana and start again. It's super fun and actually pretty decent in multiplayer because everyone gets so distracted with everything that's going on. Then I run a few control enchantments like Lunar Force that I can also cycle with her as a lifeline in case my creatures are depleted and I just need to hang on.

It really plays more like a green deck than it does a UW, but it's still a ton of fun.

Almost forgot:

Tfw you bought a copy of pic related just incase she's unbanned as commander, and the price would shoot even higher than it is now

Fuck I love aeons torn so much.

Even if my group allowed me to run her as commander, I wouldn't because If I ever won, I'd get the "well she IS banned for a reason" line

>Fuck I love aeons torn so much.
Well no shit, she's broken as fuck.

Emrakul isn't even as bad as the numerous other things that can be done in EDH.

It might not fit well with the casual-first mindset, but it isn't 'oppressive' if you're comparing it to the full gamut of the EDH spectrum.

why do you think she is more broken in the 99 than the command zone?

What kind of artifact or red 'target player' life gain is there?

Just to make sure you nail the win.

This guy + the staff that makes Kiki infinite is pretty dank.

>play testing this deck
>consistently turn 5-7 the game is over
Holy shit, how do fully optimized decks feel?

Thornbite staff

Simply put, if she was ran in the 99, most games would end due to cheating her out, whether it's with green shenanigans or with bribery and the lot. Most decks would run her similar to how ulamog (infinite gyre) and kozilek (butcher) are run.

If only allowed as commander, decks that ran her at the head would be limited to using only colorless, making actually casting her from the command zone more of a ""challenge "" than just cheating her out. Also, if the rest of the table saw you running aeons torn and didn't focus hatefuck you off the table immediately or break your kneecaps to the point of being no threat before you could ramp to 15 mana, they deserve the annihilator 6 to the face

But that's just what I think, by no means is it fact

Yeah that one. I had been thinking about making a soldier token deck with him to try and fling them all day with the staff combo (making red mana is easy and white makes equipment tutoring simple)

I always considered the more powerful part of emrakul being the uncounterable extra turn not the annihilator 6

Annihilator 6 only fucks with one person at a time maximum and not everybody is vulnerable to it, token decks don't mind at all

And if you cheat it into play with tooth and nail it could die to a board wipe without accomplishing anything

On the other hand something like sneak attack or through the breach can knock somebody out of the game pretty early so that could be annoying

Grand architect + Pilipalla =infinite blue mana

With memmy, you can steal every permanent on the board I believe

Good call, I can take out some of the jankier things for that.

Christ, I have trouble explaining permanently exiling single targets with O-ring to my playgroup. This is why I opt to just run aggro most nights.

Wait wait wait, I didn't really read the last part. Are you serious? I can just gank all their lands forever? Well shit, guess I know another wincon.

Hidetsugu loves Lifelink. Basilisk's Collar and Loxodon Warhammer make him happy. As does Whip of Erebos.

Yeah, memmy is one of my favorite legendary creatures.
Want to hear something even better? Run March of the machines.

Turn their lands into artifacts. MotM turns them into artifact creatures with P/T of 0/0, it gets killed. Liquidmetal coating essentially turns into tap: destroy target land

Your welcome