Could a rouge use a lockpick to lock a door?

Could a rouge use a lockpick to lock a door?
do you think a DM would allow this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mO3mMYwKkKs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

No, but it'd work with lipstick.

I think that'd work... but why would you need to? If the lock knob is on your side of the door, you can lock it manually. If it's not on your side of the door, it won't stop anyone anyways.

i mean, that's not what lockpicks do, but its d&d so sure

Thats not how a fucking lockpick works.

>the lock knob
user, be truthful. Are you the guy who threw a fit because a D&D setting didn't have modern storm windows?

>use a lockpick to lock a door
As a DM, I am okay with this, provided the rogue passes any relevant die rolls, the door does indeed have a working lock mechanism, and so on. One of my players claims to know how to pick locks. I'd probably just ask her if it makes sense.

>why would you need to?
To keep monsters on the other side of a door, probably because you're either out of door-spikes (or objects that can be improvised as such), or the door opens to the side with monsters on it (in which case the door spikes are useless for keeping it shut).

Why doesn't it work? Honest question.

You use the pick to push the pins inside of the tumbler, just lock it on the way out

look at and notice how if those tumblers are springloaded to apply downward pressure and stop that piece of wood from turning which is what the doorknob controls
a lockpick pushes them up and lets you turn that mechanism but theres no way to just casually reverse it practically speaking

You can't knock the tumblers loose again?

it would be a pretty shitty lock that locked if you banged it around a little

I have personally picked a deadbolt lock of average quality and left it locked as if I was never there. Its as simple as turning the lock far enough that the bolt withdraws far enough to open the door. Once you are done with whatever sneaky business you have inside you just use the tension bit to turn the lock back to its original position. Easy peasy

And yeah, picking a lock open/closed is the exact same routine.

Dont listen to retards... Of course you can. A lock pick is used to push all the pins in the medium position. Opening the door is possible by using the second pin inside the lock for making a tension force - simply trying to rotate the mechanism. Apply the force to the other side and you can lock the door.

If it wasn't possible to lock the door using lock pick, it wouldn't be possible with the key neither. Because that's exactly what you are trying to imitate by lock pick - a damn key.

Exactly

ROGUE

ITS SPELT ROGUE MOTHERFUCKER

>Being this fucking dense
Is it even possible to don't know how the fuck locks, picks and keys work?

What do you mean? Say you had a key. you use the key and, because it's the right key, it aligns with the pins and pushes them up so you can turn the bolt. When you turn, the pins stay up simply because there is nothing for them to fall into. Similarly, you can't withdraw the key because the pins that stay in the bolt can't be lifted up. When you turn the key, and the bolt, back into position, the pins simply fall into place again.

Why couldn't this be done by simply using the torsion wrench to turn the whole bolt again again once you have locked it?

In any case, the pin lock is not the only kind of lock you'll find; I imagine in a fantasy setting that a warded lock would be more common. Those have a lever or sliding bolt that a key pushes away. If you picked this with a skeleton key, you could simply turn it like you would a normal one and lock or unlock the mechanism.

>two rogues on either side of a lock in a lockpick duel
>one undoes the tumblers while the other resets them

>Why couldn't this be done by simply using the torsion wrench to turn the whole bolt again again once you have locked it?

I meant, why couldn't this be done simply by using the torsion wrench to turn the whole bolt again once you have unlocked it?

Not that user but.
Because it's a two part system tumbler and bolt.
You twist your key to the right, which in order lifts the pins, rotates the tumbler, and throws the bolt into the unlock position. Going to the left does the same, but throws the bolt into the lock position.

Using a lock pick is like using a fake key, you can lock and unlock whatever you can pick.

What the fuck does he need to look at while picking a fucking lock?
I can pick them fucking blindfolded because there is nothing for you to fucking look at because it's a fucking lock.

Using a pick to lock a door (assuming it can't be locked without a key) is exactly the same as opening it with the picks.

Go to your door, use a flash light, and shine it up into the lock.
Yes you can do it by feel, sight helps.

Lockpick as key emulator helps explain what you can and can't do with it.

Something could be only locked or unlocked with a key (or a pretend key) and you might want to lock it.

You also might want to lock the door behind you, to cover up the crime.

Yes, that's what I mean. You're just turning the tumbler, same as if you had a key, as others have mentioned.

If it's a door that only has a dead bolt type lock this makes sense.

You may want to infiltrate a room then relocate the door before you leave. With a deadbolt you normally cannot engage the lock before shutting the door (there spring types though).

So I don't see a problem with this. Just check to see if the party/PC is caught in the act.

I mean... You could jam the lock pretty easily, you ain't getting those picks back though.

youtube.com/watch?v=mO3mMYwKkKs

The lock work with springs, that the lockpick tools push into the correct position for the door the be opened. You just have to turn the lock the opposite direction after "picking" it, to re-lock it.