D&D 5e General /5eg/

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

How would you turn harpies into a playable race? Aarakocra are too short-lived, they have hands, and they are just not musical enough!

Other urls found in this thread:

marketplace.roll20.net/browse/module/25/storm-kings-thunder
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Godspeed, OP.

I dedicate this master race homebrew to Lord Autismo - Veeky Forums's very own anti-weeb crusader. Go get 'em, champ.

See you next time - then with a bibliography and a music video showcasing the master race's potent mechanical strengths!

Is Vecna a powerful enough deity to warrant worship by a death domain cleric?

I'm going to be playing a Dwarf Death domain (DMG) cleric, whose goal is to bring back Vecna. Would I need to worship an actual god of death, with Vecna being my end goal, or is dedicating my life and power to Vecna enough?

>Of course I only have one fucking eye.

People worship tons of things waaaaay weaker than an actual deity senpai.

Whoops, wrong harpy pic. This is more like it.

Personally? I'd go for something like this, crunch-wise:

Harpy
Ability Score Increase: +2 Charisma, +1 Constitution
Size: Medium
Speed: 20 feet
Flight: A harpy has a flying speed of 40 feet.
Talons: A harpy possesses claws, which allow it to do 1d4 slashing damage with its Unarmed Strikes.
Siren Songs: At third level, a harpy can cast Charm Person as a 1st level spell one per short rest. At fifth level, it can cast Enthrall as a 2nd level spell once per short rest. When casting spells with this trait, Charisma is your casting ability.

Quick and dirty, but that's roughly how I'd do it.

Vecna's a full-fledged diety of necromancy & undeath, and has been since at least 3rd edition. A Death or Arcana Cleric worshipping him is perfectly legit.

Yeah, this is gonna be a shit thread isn't it?

Can I play a catgirl (male)?

What if I want to be a Dex/Int or Dex/Wis catgirl?

I would love to see a full Vecna-based Adventure Path, personally...

Anons? Amateur homebrewer here with a peculiar obsession with monstrous PC races. I'll get right to the point: do you think a PC raced based on the Naga - so, human(ish) head on a giant magical snake's body, no arms (that's a non-D&D lamia) could ever be made balanced under the 5e ruleset?

Just for shits 'n' giggles, here's a first draft of one I've thrown together just off the top of my head:

Naga
Ability Score Increase: +2 Intelligence, +1 Charisma
Speed: 30 feet
Vision: Darkvision
Limbless Horror: A naga's unique body shape poses great difficulty in using items designed for humanoids. Armor must be custom fitted, doubling its expense value if purchased; magic armor that reshapes itself to fit a wearer will do so for a naga, but otherwise must be manually altered. A naga can only wear Head slot, Neck slot and Body slot magical items, though at a DM's discretion it can also wear 1 magical ring on the tip of its tail.
Telekinetic: Nagas have developed an instinctive ability to manipulate items by thought alone. A Naga has a single invisible "hand" which provides them with the effective reach of a Large-sized creature. This hand can be used to interact with a single physical object at a time, allowing a naga to make all of the normal actions despite lacking physical limbs, including using a magic item or swinging a weapon. When using its telekinesis, a naga treats its Intelligence score as its Strength score for determining attack roll and damage roll bonuses, and the naga's ability to lift and carry. At a DM's discretion, some Strength checks may be replaced by Intelligence checks if a naga could conceivably use its telekinesis to do so, such as prying open a gate, pushing a crate or lifting a heavy trapdoor.

I contemplated adding racial traits like some innate spell-like abilities and/or a poisonous bite, but I was worried I'd be overloading it with abilities and making it too powerful.

But I want to trade in hands for power.

Pretty decent senpai.

Just ignore the dumb shit.

Gotcha.

Welp, any suggestions on how to convert my party? I've no intention on being randumbsoevil (cuz I still gotta get paid and need magic items and stuff), but I will have ulterior motives along the way to convert them to the power of Vecna (and I just want to see if I can get other players to cut their own eyes out, or lose hands willingly).

I don't follow.

You can mix the attributes around all you want though - cat girls are good at everything.

These are not cute, user.

/pfg/ put out a hit on /5eg/. See here: Gas the weebs, general war now!

Generally you'd need to be able to provide a strong incentive for doing so. Maybe work with your DM to magically tool some Vecna-like benefits that you could have bestowed on your party members for becoming minor acolytes/worshipers/followers.

Jesus Christ.
Can't these children actually grow the fuck up already?

Question concerning the Message cantrip:

Can you send a message to an unknowing ally / someone you don't know? If you send it to someone you don't know will they somehow know you're the one to send it? What if they don't know who you are and wouldn't recognize your voice?

What if you send it to someone you don't know and they don't recognize it as a message and instead mistake it to be some sort of disembodied / divine voice in their head?

The children posting weebshit or the children trying to turn this into a stupid internet fight?

These aren't the brightest, or most experienced D&D players (it's for a one-shot, one guy is a dudebro, and the other two are relatively normies with little to no TTRPG experience).

I fully intend on giving them a raw deal.

You send it to a target.

If they don't know you, and have no reason to recognize a message cantrip, they're probably going to go and take their schizo meds

Yes, you may. You just need to satisfy the range requirement of the cantrip. If you want to message someone within range who you *can't* see, you need to be familiar with them.

What's wrong? Don't you like bisexual monsterpeople and kitsune?

I remember back in the day my group was playing a Ravenloft campaign. We were working for Lord Soth and helping him conquer the world. By end end nearly all of the dark lords fell before our blades with Vecna being the final foe we had to overcome.

Kas was a little bitch boy.

Well, I have no idea how that'd work, and honestly, you could probably fluff the version I have as a wing-armed harpy anyway.

Thanks. I've got an interest in monstrous PC races, so I'm always looking to add more crunch attempts, but I'm always worried about balance.

Well, for starters, cutting out hands/eyes isn't normal Vecna doctrine, off the top of my head - it's something they do to sacrifices in order to build his holy golems. I remember there was a cult of Vecna worshippers in 4e who actually thought of themselves as good guys, but I can't recall their name or where they were mentioned, I'm sorry.

I don't follow.

>this
>not cute

You have 0 taste user.

Yeah - I find it's usually really interesting/entertaining when PC's take up the causes of NPCs in games. Especially when the DM doesn't *at all* see it coming, and ends up really fleshing out that NPC.

Storm King's Thunder is out on Roll20 now. Someone buy it and start ripping those maps for everyone.

Continue discussion about Vecna over here

I thought it came out on the 6th

It was supposed to but they released it early. marketplace.roll20.net/browse/module/25/storm-kings-thunder

Harpy a shit, I wouldn't include it as a playable race

But I'd go

- +2 cha, +1 int
- Speed 20
- Fly speed 40 (aarakocra speed 50 is bullshit)
- Look Ma No Hands: You have no arms or hands, instead you have feet with sharp claws that do your manipulation. You can not wear boots but you may wield or carry items in your talons as anyone else would with their hands. However while you are grasping something in your talons, your land speed is halved.

Luring Magic: You know the friends cantrip, At third level you know the charm person spell and can cast it once per day. At 5th level you know the Enthrall spell and can cast it once per day. Charisma is your casting stat.

Not worded very well but there you go OP.

Though I thought D&D harpies had arms and hands. So OP's probably just a faggot.

Gas them both. The anti-weebshits are a bit worse, but only extremely slightly, not so much that it's worth sparing either side.

>Though I thought D&D harpies had arms and hands. So OP's probably just a faggot.

Just refluff an Aaracokra then

Oh sweet.

Appreciate the defense, user. Honestly, she was one of the influences that inspired me to give a shot.

So, anons got any opinions on the crunch here? I know "total balance" is a fiction, but I can at least try not to make something either cripplingly weak or stupid overpowered.

When are we getting the UA ranger and mystic continued?

Impossible to say. WoTC has teased that there's some kind of new rulebook coming out after Volo's Guide to Monsters gets released, but we don't know when or what it is. With this whole alternating between actual Unearthed Arcana content and DM's Guild Shilling for each month, who can say what we're going to get and when?

I'm the user you are replying too, and when I read the no arms thing, she was the first thing that popped into my mind.

About your custom race:
I think it's too "rule heavy" try to simplify the custom traits.
I think limbless horror is a good idea, but probably can be better written .
As for the Telekinetic thing just give them game hand as a cantrip from level one, maybe add telekinesis at higher levels or you can go the Psion route too and center the race around it.

Tobe hones I would just let them use a tail as a normal hand and only be able manipulate simple weapons, tools, etc. How ever if you do this I would change the stat bonuses.

The next ranger pass will either be September's or October's UA, with the other of the two being an alternate encounter creation method.

I'd guess Mystic November or December, but possibly the start of next year.

Luckily they stopped the DMs Guild spotlight after only two months of the stuff, likely due to the backlash and lack of content worth showcasing.

sorry for the spelling errors posting from my phone.

The irony is, there *is* an actual Naga monstrous race in D&D (and Pathfinder) already, and it does amount to "giant snake with a human head". D&D's just unusual in that the bog standard Lamia - like - is relegated to the "Lamia Noble", who hasn't been seen since 3.5's Expedition to the Demonweb Pits.

Problem is, Mage Hand *sucks* in this edition. You can carry 30 pounds of weight max, you can't trigger a magic item with it, you can't use a weapon with it... a race that only has mage hand as an "official" interaction with the world is pretty much boned beyond belief. That's why I went to the trouble of creating Telekinetic the way it is.

Revising Limbless Horror to be clearer and more concise is something I'd like to do, but I'm not exactly sure how?

If it's not overpowered, I was thinking of also turning them into a subrace-based species; "Ferals" have a Strength boost, a Venomous Bite, and Crushing Coils ala my Lamia race (basically enhanced grappling abilities), whilst "Sages" have an Int boost and some spell-like abilities. Does this make sense? Would it make the race too powerful?

I really appreciate all the feedback I can get. I'm very new to homebrewing and I don't have an actual party to try and playtest them with, so this is essentially my only option for trying to get good.

>Snake lady
>that means eggs
>Has a belly button and breasts

Egh

Anyway, it's simply

>Speed 30 feet
>Swim Speed: 30 feet

Natural Toxicity: Can apply the dagger of Venom effect on any weapon it holds (same restrictions apply)
Poison Resistance
Darkvision
Natural Warlocks, Sorcerers and Fighters
+1 STR
+ 2 CHA

Is D&D just a talking simulator?

>that means eggs
>and breasts
Monotremes

Hm. More like Natural paladin. Replace Cha with Dexterity

Not necessarily. A lot of snakes are oviparous - they technically have live young, because they incubate their eggs in their wombs. Add in the clearly humanoid aspects, and magic chicanery, and things get even fuzzier.

Hell, I've toyed with the idea of, in one of my settings, making kobolds of both sexes sport pseudobreasts as status symbols/mating displays and letting them partially shift genders, so the reason they survive at the bottom of the food chain is because any two kobolds can restart a clan.

Honestly, I did it somewhat differently for Lamias:

Lamia
Ability Score Increase: +2 Charisma, +1 Strength
Snake Body: A lamia has a Climb Speed of 20 feet and a Swim speed of 30 feet. A lamia can Crawl at its normal speed. A lamia cannot use magical items based on footwear, such as Boots of Elvenkind.
Crushing Coils: A lamia may attempt to grapple a creature that is no more than two sizes larger than itself, and has Advantage on the Strength (Athletics) check to successfully grapple the target.

Character creation, tactical combat, puzzle-solving and talking simulator.

Less tactical when everyone just runs in and throws their favourite attack.

Naga
Ability Score Increase: +1 Charisma
Limbless Horror: A naga's unique body shape poses great difficulty in using items designed for humanoids. Armor must be custom fitted, doubling its cost. A naga can only wear magical items on its head, neck and body, though at a DM's discretion it can also wear 1 magical ring on the tip of its tail.
Telekinetic: Nagas have developed an instinctive ability to manipulate items by thought alone. A Naga has a single invisible "hand" which provides them with the effective reach of a Large-sized creature. This hand can be used to interact with a single physical object at a time, allowing a naga to make all of the normal actions despite lacking physical limbs, including using a magic item or swinging a weapon. When using its telekinesis, a naga treats its Intelligence score as its Strength score for determining attack roll and damage roll bonuses, and the naga's ability to lift and carry. At a DM's discretion, some Strength checks may be replaced by Intelligence checks if a naga could conceivably use its telekinesis to do so, such as prying open a gate, pushing a crate or lifting a heavy trapdoor.
Prehensile Tail: A naga can use its tail as a single hand for taking actions or wielding items.
Serpentine Mobility: A naga has a Climb speed of 20 feet and a Swim speed of 20 feet.
Poisonous Bite: When making an Unarmed Strike, a naga can instead choose to inflict a bite. This causes the attack to instead inflict 2D4 Poison damage, which the victim can halve with a successful Constitution check (DC 8 + naga's Con modifier + 1/2 naga's level).
Subrace: Choose between the Sagacious or Savage Naga subraces.

Sagacious Naga
Ability Score Increase: +2 Intelligence
Hypnotic Gaze: A Sagacious Naga can cast the Friends cantrip.
Mystical Birthright: A Sagacious Naga can cast the Prestidigitation cantrip.

Savage Naga
Ability Score Increase: +2 Constitution
Crushing Coils: A Savage Naga may attempt to grapple a creature that is no more than two sizes larger than itself, and has Advantage on the Strength (Athletics) check to successfully grapple the target.
Lethal Venom: A Savage Naga increases the Poison damage of its bite attack to 2D6 at 5th level and 2D8 at 15th level.

>Psychic Nagas
I mean, maybe?

Nagas in D&D are traditionally very magical creatures, with a lot of innate spells or just inherent levels as spellcasters, depending partially on edition. Heck, even in 5e, your standard MM nagas are either 11th level Clerics or 11th level Wizards, depending on if you're fighting a Guardian Naga or a Spirit Naga.

This PC race isn't entirely based on those, but between that fact and their place as mystical beings in mythology, it's not coming out of nowhere.

Directly psionic nagas, however, would kind of need to wait for there to be psychic rules in 5e that actually work, instead of the half-written Mystic we've currently got.

Ironically, it'd be easier in 4e, because it had one of the best rulesets for psionics D&D has ever had.

DEX/WIS is obviously superior, works for both monks and, to a lesser degree, droods.

So let's say a PC race harpy has most of the bird like features (i.e. talons instead of feet and hollow but strong bones) what is a suitable wing span to height for them if I want to keep them around 3/4 feet tall?

New DM here.
I have a player joining an ongoing game, party is level 4 and his character will also be starting at level 4. Everybody else started with class and background equipment
How do you guys handle starting wealth for these cases?
Just starting equipment?
Having him roll for wealth instead?
Fixed amount of gold?

i always figure it to he should have near to, or slightly less than the "poorest" person in the party, since you've already been giving out gold/items at the rate you choose. there might be a chart for "characters wealth at level 4" but theres no chart for "characters wealth at level 4, in anons specific campaign"

Yeah that's what I wanna avoid, having more wealth than the rest of the players, but at the same time base equipment and almost no gold at level 4 seems a bit weak.
and no need to be a dick about it, I Know I could have worded it better

m8 im sorry if you think i was being a dick, but i was literally giving you a straight answer, so butch up a bit. look at the person in your group that has the least gear gained gear, either bought, or given from you. then also the least gained and/or saved gold. after that, base the new character off of those 2 numbers. unless the new character has a reason or a backstory, he should be relatively "fresh" in the adventuring for money world, so even if he adventurered prior. he's still going to be poorer than the rest because of more time spent in town or more downtime from being a solo act

obviously though, he should have at least base gold/equipment, but add to it from there. if everyone has at least 1-3 unique/rare items, he should have 1, 2 at the most. if the gold in their pockets is 100 to 1000, he should only have like 100, MAYBE 200
i would let him spend the money/"free items" he does have relatively easily though, since he could have obtained them any way, and at any time prior

Average out the gold in the party, give him two thirds of that

Hey /5eg/, I'm rolling a half-orc Paladin.

Are there any good backgrounds for a half-orc besides "rape baby"?

Yes. Literally anything.

Depends on the setting.

In some (Forgotten Realms among them), orc tribes and human tribes will make alliances or treaties to prevent unneeded deaths--and these sometimes end up with orc-human couples, whether by terms of the treaty or a strange star-crossed lover deal.

Both parents were half-orcs.
Neither loved the other and married politically.
Unwanted bastard of a cheating spouse.
Anything standard but one parent is an orc and the other a human. Or a half-orc and a human. Or a half-orc and an orc.

>granddad was a rape baby, and it skipped a generation

>cursed by a witch

>tried to fuse with a corrupted gem

>prays to the god of orcs

>accident with the multiverse

>prays to the god of humans

>parents were also adventurers. Father was the Bard

Is there a collection of custom character sheets somewhere? Looking for something for my druid to help me organize stuff like wildshape forms for temp HP, temp AC, etc.

If not is it hard to make your own PDF edits with editable forms?

>Bastard of a cheating spouse

ORCED.

>tried to fuse with a corrupted gem
MY DIAMOND?

What other anons have said. Could be a human - or an orc - transformed by arcane/divine magic, could just be the child of a half-orc parent, family could have been starcrossed lovers/xenophiles/politically married... Really, there's two parts to this; choose a basic "background" (voluntary orc/human relationship, magic, lineage of half-orcs, etc) and then flesh it out some more.

Heck, I could probably give you a couple of different ideas for the "voluntary orc/human coupling" background, if you wanted.

I haven't figured out a way to make a standard pdf editable with my information, let alone edit the pdf itself

Why are you guys so friendly and non-chalant about thinly veiled sexual content?

Out in /pfg/ the very suggestion of sexy harpies or rape will get an argument started about how "shitty" you are or what should or should not be allowed in the general.

Well fuck.

I guess I'll try to read into it. I've converted documents to PDF's with 3rd party software before but never tried editable fields.

YOUR DIAMOND

Yeah that'll orc the shit out of you

>

It's D&D

What in holy hell is this "allowed" faggotry you speak of?

I've been on Veeky Forums for half a decade. Believe me: when we have a chance to discuss something calmly, we actually prefer it to monkey-like shitslinging. The Pathfinder General anons are just letting themselves be baited.

I have some questions about hiding.

In combat, when are you able to hide? I recall the book saying once you are fighting a creature it's pretty hard to hide from them.

I ask because one of my players is playing an Arcane Trickster, and grabbed a concealing mist spell. This gives some amount of concealment if you are in it. The exact name of the spell escapes me right now. And uses a rogue ability to hide as a bonus action, so that essentially, he is hidden for 100% of the combat.

Attack -> Bonus action hide in the mist -> repeat

The ability to maintain a 100% upkeep on being hidden (barring the cloud being removed in various ways) did not seem right to me. In the interest of not slowing the game down we did not look too deeply into it the other night, but I plan to later this weekend. But I just wanted to know if what he is doing is possible, or is he misinterpreting a rule about hiding somewhere?

PINK DIAMOND

Wouldn't that be like full-orc or something?

So, anyone got any feedback on this iteration of the race? I'm trying to keep it from getting too overpowered, but I'm worried I've just overloaded it with racial features, even given the significant hindrance that Limbless Horror poses to using magical gear/getting decent armor, at the least.

So long as you break line of sight, you can hide. For most it takes an action, but rogues can do it as a bonus action. This is on purpose, so that they can hide to try to get advantage for a sneak attack.

They mentioned the Mystic will go up to 20 later this year. Hopefully we'll see the two other orders as well.

But Pathfinder General is all about fetishes and monstergirls nowadays. Just look at the latest one:

Hidden requires both audible and visual concealment

The enemy may not be able to see the rogue, but he sure as shit is able to listen for him

So when he hides in the mist, you tell him "roll stealth" and give him an appropriately high DC

However, an AT rogue using his illusions for cover isn't a bug, its a feature

Then they're idiots. There's a bucketful of those on Veeky Forums, I promise. Ignore them, report them, whatever.

Who are we to say what is and isn't allowed in some other anons game? Just because we wouldn't have it in ours doesnt mean it doesnt exist, may as well give it constructive criticism or whatever.

How do you handle a monster that forces you to make saving throws when it can see you? Our party fought one that had Charisma saving throws. Only the Paladin was able to make the save so it was a pretty shitty fight so he was on his own for 90% of the fight.

Magic items, perhaps, or a specific buff spell. Alternately, try to find somebody who fought one before and find out how they did it, or purchase Puppeteer's Cloth hoods.

Kneejerk response? Find some way to keep it from seeing you. Give players the option to sneak up on it, or let them have the room for one "save-tank" to distract it so that the rest ca flank it, or find some way of protecting yourself from the gaze attacks. Perseus used a mirrored shield when fighting Medusa, after all, and there's plenty of stories of blind-fighting warriors...

/pfg/ has it in their heads that any mention of lewd is a cause to shut down the conversation or insult the poster.

Which confuses me because, even if the post is clearly in jest and shallow, wouldn't that mean the response to said post would be easy and shallow?

Hey, folks? Any anons here familiar with 4th edition? I was a big fan of the Swordmage in 4e, which I thought was one of the best gishes I'd ever seen in D&D, but I have to ask... do people think the Eldritch Knight Fighter and/or the Bladesinger Wizard make decent replacements for it? Or do they just not cut it?

In fact... how would you pull off a 5e Swordmage? I just can't shake the idea that a class literally built as an arcane gish from the ground up, with subclasses being specializing as a melee weapon-user or a ranged weapon-user (so it's your Swordmage and your Arcane Archer - and even your Gunmage, in the right campaigns), would be a real neat idea.

Are 3 hours enough to to play once a week?

How hard it is to imagine that there's people on even this, the best board, who are petty and shallow? Report the posters providing the smut, ignore the ones toeing the line, and move on.

Sorry. I know it's frustrating.

I'm writing some feedback, so please wait warmly.

3 hours is the perfect session, any longer and fatigue sets in.

We hadn't been in a town yet and had no special items. Just the basic rations, water, and 1 or two potions. It was a surprise attack triggered by a trap. For spells you mean something to give us an advantage on saving throws I take it? I think I had a spell that I could have buffed myself with but forgot to use it.

>Find some way to keep it from seeing you.
I thought about having my character close their eyes or something in the aftermath before entering the line of sight (I was the only one not to be immediately hit by it) but there wasn't any environmental objects to hide behind or under. Maybe my DM would have let my hide under my cloak or something.

Do the drow ever hunt?

How do drow houses train their own to be sneaky?

Whats a good reason for a group of drow to temporarily leave their city? Trading? Do drow forage for mushrooms/other poison ingredients?

I'm talking about Faerun/Forgotten realms drow.

>For spells you mean something to give us an advantage on saving throws I take it?

Or make it glow, or make it blind so it doesn't know where to look, or something else that makes it so that IT is the one who has to react to YOU, rather than the other way around. Alternately, watch its feet instead of its head.

Drow hunt all the time, they develop these skills in the womb and get better in the child murder pits.

Drow can hunt. They can hunt well, with the right target and some prep time, just like everybody else.

Drow train themselves to sneaky all the time, and they keep their own houses sharp by necessity.

Some hate leaving their cities, some don't. Depends on the individual. If you need a reason, perhaps scouting for an attack, finding an artifact, meeting in a neutral zone.

>blind it
One of our new party members has a darkness spell, do you think something like that could help? We almost got party wiped by that fucker and there could be more.

>develop these skills in the womb

why the hell fucking christ did you remind me of that