SPAAACEEEEEE

SPACE SHIPS. SPACE THREAD.

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/The_ship_moves
youtube.com/watch?v=KIsv1YOFNys
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

SPAAAACEEE

There are few things I love more on Veeky Forums than space threads

Get me some good literature and interesting history topic and I'm all set for a good time too.

Does anyone have any ridiculously huge alien spaceships?

1d4chan.org/wiki/The_ship_moves

Who else cant wait to scavenge space for questionably legal shit to rip apart and sell at a profit?

What's the most advanced ship there, besides the Lexx and forerunner ship?

What good hard scifi media is there out there?

Stuff I'd recommend
Books:
>Starship Troopers
>Forever War
>Rendezvous with Ramza
>Moon is a Harsh Mistress
>Mars Trilogy
Mars is notable for its emphasise on the implications of future tech interpersonally, socially and geopolitically.

TV:
>The Expanse
>Europa Report
>2001
I guess I could read the Expanse books but I've heard mixed things, and the show is one of the few things I'm hype for atm so I'd rather not spoil myself.

Anime
>Planetes

>powerlevels

I don't have any spaceships (that weren't already in the last thread) but I do have some MCP suits.

Moon is enjoyable and fairly solid from a sci-fi standpoint, but is fairly near-future with its science.

Fun picture. I've spotted ten ships from other films and tv series so far.

Most advanced? Hard to say since a lot of the tech is just hand waving. The borg, vorlons and ancients/replicators are probably high on the list. Protoss is probably atleast moderately high as well. Unfortunately I'm not super familiar with all the settings presented on the list.

Actually let me change the ancient/replicator to the Ori for the Stargate verse.

I'd recommend reading Blindsight if you can stand preachy authors. Sequel I would not recommend, but it's a sort-of sequel so you don't have to read it.

>It's been two months since a myriad of alien objects clenched about the Earth, screaming as they burned. The heavens have been silent since - until a derelict space probe hears whispers from a distant comet. Something talks out there: but not to us. Who to send to meet the alien, when the alien doesn't want to meet? Send a linguist with multiple-personality disorder, and a biologist so spliced to machinery he can't feel his own flesh. Send a pacifist warrior, and a vampire recalled from the grave by the voodoo of paleogenetics. Send a man with half his mind gone since childhood. Send them to the edge of the solar system, praying you can trust such freaks and monsters with the fate of a world. You fear they may be more alien than the thing they've been sent to find - but you'd give anything for that to be true, if you knew what was waiting for them.

It's enough hard SF despite what you might think from the synopsis. In fact, Watts might be a bit too anal retentive with getting technical.

Are you implying Battleship yamato didn't fight the cylons? Or the Millenium falcon?

UCF Rodger Young is doing it's part in fighting the Cylon menace!

youtube.com/watch?v=KIsv1YOFNys

Seveneves is pretty fucking hard besides the initial premise of the moon blowing up for no reason. It's biggest flaw is that the epilogue is a third of the book and would've been cooler as a separate sequel novel.

You should also read the 2001 novelization because it is rather different and expanded compared to the movie.

Just bought my first dedicated trader. Making profits.

That ship looks like a rifle.

Maybe. Maybe I'm also implying that Red Dwarf, the USCSS Nostromo, the U.S.S Sulaco, Babylon 5, Discovery One and the ship from Battle the Stars also didn't fight the Cylons but then I haven't watched the whole series...

The only thing worse than 40k is 40k fan-fiction.

You're a moron if you think SC is ever going to be released.

Bugger! Meant 'Battle Beyond the Stars'!

I think the Dark Angel Rock is missing

Very good story. Surprising how the vampires were described.

Made me a bit depressed when I read it. Be warned, here there be nihilism.

Anyone's have a link to a high rez version of this where the text is readable?

Would be much appreciated

Requesting space opera trains in the desert, if possible not complete enclosed.

Best hard Sci-Fi novel of the two last decades. Echopraxia was kinda disappointing but Watts aknowledge his fuck-ups and i'm hyped for the final book.

>You will never have a spooky sexy vampire playing mind games in space with you for weeks before french kissing you to taste the cancer out of your throat
My life is disappointment

Revelation Space is a solid read. The main series ends in a kinda weird way but the universe is wonderful and there are a buttload of short stories well worth the read.

Did you know; there's ships in eve online that are to the titans what titans are to frigates.
Here's their concept art. They exist in the deepspace pockets between star constellations, as they have their own massive gravity wells.
I believe theyre called iapatans.

Oh and those tiny shapes next to them are the titans and battleships in comparison.

>Anime
>No Rocket Girls
user I am disappoint.

I knew Imud Hubrau (what a fucking cool name) and Soltueur were the very first and second titans prototypes but i didn't know they were supposed to be THAT gigantic initialy. I don't think this is their canon size, it would poses way too many questions about the four empire military and logistical power.

>it would poses
Yeah, strait out of my mothertongue language, and with a "s" at the end for no fucking reason. Read "it would raise".
Have my favorite looking EvE spaceship as an apology. I would become a GM just to pilot one.

>a quick internet search proves me it is indeed their canon ingame size and each empire has a wing of them
Dear fucking god.

How much detail do you put into your SciFi settings, Veeky Forums?

I've been following some YouTube tutorials and crunching some numbers so that I have a pretty good idea of the gravity and escape velocity and such for my planets. I'm thinking that like, a species that evolved on a planet with a low escape velocity might not have ships powerful enough to get off other planets with higher escape velocities, but they might be able to explore space quicker than others if it's easier to get out there.

Is this going too far? I feel rather autistic but I'm enjoying it

Entirely depends if it matters or not. My setting is pretty advanced so i won't bother my players with it since the characters wouldn't have to, even though it is on the harder side of Sci-fi. It is a thin line between hard and borefest.

How I usually do it is to get as autistic as I like with the set-ups; for example, an alien species, I'll think about their planet's features in relation to its solar system and what sort of chemical makeup would fit that, what sort of culture the species had as it grew, what environmental pressures were they exposed to to develop sapience, how did those pressures affect their technological development, etc etc.
Then display that information in a simplistic and perhaps round-about way to anyone interacting with the setting. "These aliens are aggressive to outsiders and refuse to share technology", rather than going into detail about the schism between the species' two major nations in the past where one of the nations' allies betrayed them using their own sciences, leaving them weakened and forcing them to enact several distasteful measures to ensure their own survival (as a crude example).
The more you leave to interpretation and let them decide what they think, rather than saying exactly what's happening behind the scenes, the better - generally speaking.

Is there more of this? cross-section of cramped rooms.

Yep. The logistical power of four galaxy spanning empires in their prime.

if ccp allowed players to build those id give it a month at most until theres at least 50 industrial players able to shit them out 24/7 if they wanted

Realistic design.

Those are the images I could find from this amazing game(that didn't come out yet).

>chilling for a videogame on Veeky Forums
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE GET THE FUCK OFF MY BOARD!!!! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>Realistic space warfare simulator
It's okay user, all is forgiven.

I hope it will be moddable to hell and back.

>shilling
fuck my stupid fingers

Sure, dumping what I got.

Sorry, on phone right now. I'll post my collection when I get home.

>novelization
The book came first

Goddamn, the 2nd Gen Amarrian titan is gorgeous.

Ok, I'm home. Starting the dump.

That's all for now.
I'll be back later to finish the dump.

I need to know the name of this game, and I need to know now.

Please and thank you.

Filename

Man, the reclaimer is such a beautifully ugly ship.

To bad we'll never be able to use it.

>The main series ends in a kinda weird way
Understatement

Would an interstellar delivery service (using a craft about the size of a normal house) be cost-effective, or would the cost of spaceship fuel set it back too much?

If it has a warp drive, maybe.
If it doesn't, no fucking way.

Depends on what you're hauling.

Multiple things, each of them worth at least $100-300 plus shipping (you can imagine how much interstellar shipping is.)

For my settings (homebrew mostly) I typically prefer massive quantum/warp gateways. It's handy on a number of fronts for logistics. Most commercial vessels wouldn't need warp/jump drives, it gives star systems effective "on/off ramps" making security and taxation for the local planets easier. And when the PCs manage to acquire their own jump capable vessel it feels special and gives them a new sense of freedom, even if it's an expensive beast to keep fueled.

And so often they resort to piracy since they can now attack shipping lanes and then jump away, despite me pointing out that the military has perfectly fine jump capability too, not to mention a lot of the fat juicy megacorp targets have jump capable ships, most of which are more or less military grade vessels anyway. Oh well.

Information like that is useless without knowing what the economics are in play, especially fuel costs.

If you're shipping low cost you want to carry in bulk. If you're shipping high value merch you can obviously get away with smaller cargo bays. You don't have to carry as much to still rake in a profit. Especially if you can pass off your shipping company as a kind of mercenary outfit with the PCs providing desecrate transportation and handling their own security so concerned entities can use you to ship high value, probably illicit goods while the small size of your vessel makes it seem like a worthless target. Good against pirates, rival corps, and avoiding those pesky government regulations. At least until someone catches on or you get sold out.

Saw that right after I posted.

If they have their own gravity wells, what the fuck happens if you try to deploy them to take down an enemy system? Do you need to worry about accidentally getting hit by moons and shit?

It's more important in the case of rocket propulsion that the cargo be valuable for it's mass mind due to the tyranny of the rocket equation. Each extra gram costs you anywhere from 2 to hundreds of grams of propellant (dependent on propulsion system and mission deltaV).

Interplanetary bulk transport may not be commercially viable at all without commercial mass drivers, laser thermal or MagBeam systems. Which carry their own special implications, so it's not a total loss from a world-building perspective.

They were actually written at the same time by the same author, but have slightly different plots. (Saturn Vs Jupiter)

I really dig that kind of spaceship. Apart of the Jovian game done be the ones than did Heavy Gear any other miniature game with minis like this?

I fell in love with this one

>you see Ivan

That dude makes pretty good space fighters inspired in Star wars, I dunno why disney isn't hiring him.

>Type:Military
>Capacity: 4-8
>Double beds

What kind of military is this?

Guys, stop the presses. EM drives passed through peer review.

A spartan one.