Is this a scam?

Is this a scam?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=M3Y0loGqarI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

If cost is such a concern, why not just rummage around your friend's or parent's game cupboard for d6s?

No, that's 36 dice.
Can you not count, OP?

Bought some a while back, they're legit.

>"light purple"
>dice are clearly pink

smells like a scam alright

I like to buy the cheapest standard black-on-white d6s I can find, so I can trigger the autists in the group with the misprints.

One time, one of them spotted my die from the other end of the table, grabbed it, and took a minute before he realized that the faces weren't in the standard positions.
After that he dropped it like it burned.

If you need rounded edge d6s in the colors of tyranids, slaanesh, or kawaii dark elves than even if it is a scam where else could you source them effectively?

>faces weren't in the standard positions

And this is a problem because...?

Yeah I'd say not a problem

>opaque dice
Yes it is.

It's not.

The one wasn't on the other side of the six, not that there was a completely different face.

I got one of those boxes of little dice when I was planning to play shadowrun. We switched systems, but I still have the dice. They're simple and work just fine.

When buying dice, one of the most important attributes (perhaps a close second to fairness) is readability: so that everyone near the table can clearly and immediately know what number came up. For this reason, many highly-embellished dice sets (with little designs about the numbers or artsy fonts) serve their purpose poorly because their embellishments make them needlessly hard to read. It can be a nuisance or a waste of time when players roll a die and need to squint, lean in toward a die, or in the worst case ask the person who rolled it what the result was.

I recommend relatively unembellished dice, the numbers of which are clearly displayed and easy to discern even from several feet away in less-than-ideal lighting.

Seconding this, picked up these, Granted mine were translucent Teal but same deal. the FLGS that sells em has them priced at 6 bucks for opaque and 9 bucks for translucent.

>Hong Kong dice cost virtually nothing but minimum order is 120
What games use at least 120 dice of any kind to do basic things?

Green Tide Assault phase

Ever played high level gurps?

Shadowrun

High tech level gurps
Though really, at most you need 6d.

1-6, 2-5, 3-4, with 1 and 3 not sharing an edge, but both sharing an edge with 2, is the standard layout for opposing faces on dice.

>an 8 on a d6
Where do I buy it?

I have those dice, but mine are white and green. They're good, I like them a lot. It's almost too many dice.

What exactly are you worried about?
Scam? it advertises 36 dice, you get 36 dice, they aren't going to suddenly explode or anything.

There really needs to be more games with exploding dice, that shit is fun

What do you think to the old roll a six, Roll it again and add it to your total, as seen a shadow run?

I was thinking something like it. Only instead of rerolling that die, your reroll a die that came up to 2-5

But then you can't get infinitely exploding dice to WIN HARDER!

Imperial Guard

40k Orks, Nids, or Guard?

That's the idea. You still want hire stats even if you get a really lucky role

I got these and they seem to roll unevenly. Mine rolls too few 3's. Just me or are they shit quality for premium price?

>1-6, 2-5, 3-4, with 1 and 3 not sharing an edge, but both sharing an edge with 2, is the standard layout for opposing faces on dice.
>1 and 3 not sharing an edge
>1 and 3
>not sharing an edge
You need to see more dice, yo.

On a cube, every face shares an edge with every other face except its opposite. So 1 and 6, 3 and 4, and 2 and 5 are the only ones that don't meet up.

3*3*4=36

It actually is a choking hazard, too. Their claims appear to be valid.

>Monitor settings

>What games use at least 120 dice of any kind to do basic things?
Playing Tyranids

The typical distribution of faces makes it difficult to roll a particular way to get a particularly high number.
If, say, 4, 5, and 6 faces were all connected to each other, then you'd be able to attempt to land the die so that one of the numbers on the high-numbered half of the die would come up.

see 4,5,6 will always share faces on proper dice

I use dice like that alot as counters when playing MTG.

20 years ago, when playing WEG/d6 Star Wars, this was a requirement, and everyone at the table needed their own color.

Chessex dice in my experience are usually extremely cheap quality. I stopped buying opaque chessex after I saw one cut open and found they used a lower grade and unevenly mixed plastic on the inside.

Link?

Do the math. At some shops I go to, it's cheeper to buy 36 d6's separately than to go with the box set. But the box set comes with a nice box, so you want to consider how much that's worth to you.

I personally don't get these because I don't need a lot of d6's, and these tend to be on the smaller side.

Nah, like 15. But that's rare. Most stuff starts having multipliers fast instead of extra dice.

It's not hard to be rolling 20 dice if you play 40k.
And them being small is a bonus then, because it can be a bitch to try and hold 20+ full sized dice.

It's harder to tell if someone replaced the 1 with a larger number.

it's youtube so make of it what you will
youtube.com/watch?v=M3Y0loGqarI

It's definitely fine. I hate the people that complain about spindown d20s not being "random" enough. But you know what, whenever they try and prove it by attempting to cheat, they still end up with random numbers unless they're literally lightly dropping it onto the table.

>they aren't going to suddenly explode or anything.
See, that's a problem. They were supposed to explode on six.

World Eaters on the charge in HH

So what are the best dice for a reasonable price?

Translucent chessex

speckled/frosted are best

user, does your group have a big collection of game dice?

Like 3/5 players in my group have their own full dice set and d6 set but I also have bought 2 pounds of dice from chessex over the years.

Insanely helpful

how much salt:water do i need to make the solution he was testing in?

aprox 1:4

do you have like max brightness or something? it looks light purple to me

I've owned a set of these for years. Great dice. Go for it, OP.

I own them. They're purple.

The photos they take of their dice are awful. Chessex needs to fix that shit.

Yes, it is a scam.

>b-but muh random results!
If you cared for a truly random result, you would've bought a quantum RNG.

Even a digital RNG that's based on seed numbers is better than actual physical dice at being random, because the most significant bias of a die is, well, human.

The component between the die and the table.

The way a human throws a die influences the result of a roll much more than any unintentional inconsistencies in weight distribution in the dice.

So if you like to play with dice? I'm okay with it.
In fact, I even advocate it strongly - there is nothing better than the sound of a die falling on a table.

But don't pretend that special snowflake Chessex dice somehow improve your experience.
Play with the dice you like, not the dice that others tell you to play with.

Do you prefer holding a Chessex plastic piece of shit? Or do you prefer a feeling of wood/bone/metal/amber/etc. in your hands?

>b-but muh random results, and I don't want to use digital rollers, I want to use physical dice!

BUY A FUCKING LEATHER CUP.
THAT'S WHAT THEY ARE FOR.

A friend gave me a nice drawstring bag in middle school because I was a weird poorfag... it's absolutely chock full now. Sometimes I see a bag of gaming dice at a garage sale or whatever and pick them up for a couple dollars... I've probably only bought a few sets or individuals new.

I think my first set from an AD&D box set is lost to the sands of time, but otherwise it's pretty much every die I've ever owned.

>that cracked yellow D20
>that white and red one I always used for paladin characters

Having a pile of dice can be nice too... even if they're all crooked, they're crooked in different ways

A lot of people I play with have a lot of dice on them in a big dice bag.

I myself have a good-sized bag of dice (actually a bag meant for sunglasses). Hopefully keeping them all to a specific theme will keep me from spending too much on dice, but I already have a few.

I thought the clears were OK. Was I misinformed?

Chessex clears are fine.

it is the opaque dice (non-see-through) that you have to worry about

Whew, I was worried for a second
>tfw all my dice I've bought from Chessex have been transparent

>Play with the dice you like, not the dice that others tell you to play with.

You could have just said this and left out all that ranting and raving.

Where do you think we are?
A place where peace and tranquility are celebrated?

NO, YOU FUCKING PANSY

THIS IS THE PLACE WHERE YOU COME TO ENJOY YOUR ANGER, BECAUSE SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE ON THE INTERNET IS WRONG

AND YOU ARE THE ONE WHO DISPENSES THE RIGHTEOUS RAGE

NOW SHOW ME YOUR WAR FACE

So does this mean that chessex are no better than sweat shop dice from Hong Kong? I've noticed my cheap dice have a bias, what should I invest in?

clear chessex is usually better because it is harder to hide imperfections

gamescience plastic dice are usually regarded as pretty good

I like wooden dice because they are fun

where did you get wooden dice? Were they expensive?

a TL 8 sniper rifle needs at least 9 dice

I've got a wooden d6 from, like, fucking Parcheesi or whatever the fuck that game was called.

>til chessex are not made in a sweatshop in hong kong

If chessex are just chinese dice with a brand name on them why not just buy chinese dice?

I buy everything on amazon

You can buy cheaper on eBay. That's what I did when I decided to prepare for my Shadowrun campaign.