Magic the Gathering @ PAX thread

Day One Worlds Championship happening on the /magic twitch stream, Kaladesh Previews happening tomorrow morning 11 PST

Set speculations? Predictions on what the new Chandra will be like? Will Contraptions actually come back in this invention-themed set?

Maybe talk about the Championship too if you're that much of stream monster

Golems?

How likely do you think Char will be slapped on as a Chandra/future red-planeswalker ability? I always thought something like that or Obliterate would be pretty cool

>WoTC has now retcon'd Chandra into a Lesbian with a romantic crush on Nissa

fucking ruined

>Retcon
>Implying she can't want Gideon's white mana source and Nissa Mana Batteries
>And Liliana's swamp
>And Jace's hallowed fountain

Tried watching the stream. Way too much flicking cards and taking agonizing amounts of time on every decision. Especially Sigrist, who keeps getting the feature match. Strangely, the shuffling of hands that a lot of them do doesn't bother me, but the incessant flicking is maddening.

>Speculation
Planeswalker reveal, Chandra most likely, maybe reveal of the other Planeswalker deck rep (Nissa I'm thinkin') OR Saheeli Ray.

Mechanic E. Maro has been teasing this one and has all but said he'll reveal it at Pax.

Legendary creature, probably something white, green or black. Finally up to 2 rares and 3 uncommons.

This got spoiled.

It's okay in EDH/10

Why is Chandra so fucking white? Is she an albino?

>Planeswalker spark symbol
I'm calling fake on this one.

I'd wager a 4c shitter commander from C16, too.

So the new mechanic is metalcraft

Chandra's thighs are covered now too...

Chandra has been confirmed as Chandra, Torch of Defiance, I remember being teased from one interview.

Where is this confirmed?

This is great.

I know, but we haven't got the card yet.

Here's to hoping the GP Atlanta playmat is decent. It's supposed to be unveiled today and it'll be my first big event

Nothing yet?, No previews?

In 3 hours

Fucking lame.

It's happening PogChamp. Just happened to snip this from the trailer, immediately reminiscent of Pyromancer's Goggles

Wong is 1000x better than fucking Will Wheaton was last year

Pyro's Goggles were legendary though since they were Jaya's

Look at this shit.

>can't protect herself in the slightest
>-2 relies on another card in play
>ultimate in "impossible to ever reach" range
I'm not saying she's bad, but she looks pretty bad.

ehh, whatever

Appeared on stream.

Jank EDH fodder probably

These googles have no relation to Pyromancer's though. These are an artificer's judging by the magnifying lenses. I'm tempted to say they are Dovin's but he apparently uses some lenses that can extended from his shoulder.

Kinda meh, but 3 CMC walkers have always been playable in some fashion at the very least (LotV, Domri Rade, Dack Fayden, M14 Ajani, Lorwyn Jace, Ashiok, OGW Nissa).

The hardest part will be keeping her alive, as she can't really protect herself (the +1 only hit opponents, and -2 exiles the copy at the beginning of the next end step).

Lolololol

Better quality of
>Sorcery
>4 mana
>uncommon

So with no talk of Nissa going after them I imagine she's gonna show up in Aether Revolt as the Green planeswalker for the block

Mark is really fucking more hype than even usual

Mechanic E is Energy, a new resource.

Permanent fucking mana.

I can see how this mechanic was originally used for mirrodin.

hyped to show a glorified mana reskin

New mechanic is a resource called Energy, which doesn't go away like mana does, emptying at the end of every phase and step.

I have very bad internet connection, can't even play the stream. What is he essentially saying?

Ehhhhh to Fabricate.

>Not liking Jund lesbian three ways while jace has to sit around do paperwork.
Shit taste m8

Did... Did they finally make a +1/+1 mechanic that doesn't suck ass in Fabricate?

At least MaRo said that they did experiment with making 1/1 flying thopter tokens, and you would just always choose making the 1/1 thopter.

Huh. Looks like they're trying to integrate that Kaladesh has very little actual direct interaction with mana with how things play.

Well, that's the second positive counter players can accumulate, and unlike EXP counters they're playable in standard and modern. Might make some proliferate cards a little better, but it really depends on if energy counters have any use at all besides activating some cards from this set.

VEHICLE DECK BABY

CARD GAMES ON MOTORCYCLES confirmed.

Vehicle hype

Well, this guy was pretty strong in limited, so that's understandable.

The thopter makers in Origins were also pretty decent, but the deck was held back by the bad curve and that shitty 4 mana 1/2.

>vehicles can crew vehicles

Vehicle creatures have the manland advantage of dodging sorcery speed removal. So that's nice.

MaRo also said that there's enough Vehicle cards that you can make a Vehicle-heavy (if not Vehicle-only) deck.

It'll probably be nothing but common and uncommon draft fodder, with 1-2 actual Standard-playable cards, but still, sounds interesting.

Eh, that's most mechanics.

From Khans block the most constructed playable mechanics were Delve and Prowess, pretty much everything else was niche.

when's contraptions

broken, ESPECIALLLY in monocolored decks

I can Zoo getting better if there's a rare cheap version of this.

With such a focus on artifacts, what do you guys think the over/under on artifact cards will be?

Assuming a large set (so like 250-ish cards), not including the servo tokens, I'm going to put the over/under number at 40.5. I'm going to say over, but only just.

I don't know how I feel about this shit.

Honestly I could see a budget Zoo deck running it as-is as a 2-of. Easier to cast than Ball Lightning (the closest analog), only you choose when to drive the thing into your opponent. The hardest part will be having a creature around to pilot the thing and not be sent along with it to bash your foe's brains in.

Saheeli is 186/264 and ovalchase is 225, and theres probably only a few multicolor cards after saheeli, so thats at least 35~ artifacts up to the letter O. Seeing that the new land is right before island and is 247, you can assume 5 swamps and probably ~2 other a-i named lands, there are probably slightly more than 50 artifacts total.

You are bad.

He did say budget Zoo, maybe he literally means a budget of like $30.

>Whenever a permanent you control is put into a graveyard you get an Energy

So I'm assuming there's going to be other ways you get energy, but this thing works well with fetchlands

That would still make the deck worse.

Pretty sure tokens touch the graveyard for rules purposes related to creatures entering the graveyard before being exiled, so any chump blockers you use with Servos or Thopters also power the thing up.

Plus, there's probably going to be some sort of colorless generator to turn mana into Energy at a high cost. Probably something like, "Tap, 4 mana, add 1 Energy to your pool."

Aetherworks Marvel is 193 and by virtue of starting with Ae- probably the very first artifact in the set.

So that narrows the count to... 50-54. So it was a pretty accurate guess on your part.

They cannot as they aren't creatures. Unless you turn them into creatures first that is.

I'm guessing Energy counters may be exchanged for () mana so that Kaladesh can tie in nicely with BfZ's Colorless matters theme. And to make them playable.

DWARF/VEHICLE TRIBAL

Card games on AIRSHIPS

There's a lot of "Reveal the top X cards, pick something" amongst these rares.

Except it's not pick one for the dwarf.

That fits here.

It's part of the "inventor" flavor, I think.

out of 4 questions, 1 was about trans fucks and 1 was about how the 3 cards this indian guy saw might be racist. fuck this whole community

something or somethings. The point is these effects play with the unknown top of libraries.

holy shit. the cringe was real.

I'm aware about some MTG related PC/SJW stuff that happened in the past but since when is the community THAT polluted with those fuckers?

>all these squeaky stereotypical voices
Jesus, is this an eighties movie?

Adorable construct fox has translation.

Gold Wired Familiar {3} 2/2
Artifact Creature Fox
When ~ enters the battlefield, you gain 2 life.
When ~ dies, draw a card.

Slightly worse sad robot.

>Slightly worse
Way worse. The ramp is over half the reason to play it.

S H A F T E D
H
A
F
T
E
D

A 1/1 servo token can jump into the dragster and use that to pilot the airship

I fucking love it

it's shit

Who the hell. Do you think he is, user?

God i fucking lovwe this.

Its a city
on a boat
in the sky

It just scales up

Vehicles sound nice but there are going to have to be some really pushed vehicles to be playable in constructed

There will probably be one or two that happen to be useful and will see play outside Modern/Standard, but that will be all.
It's just neat flavor as far as I'm concerned.

>We want the NASCAR demographic

Moar vehicles

And the psychos who drive them

So we podracing now guys? I don't care if it play like shit, this set is fucking awesome flavor-wise.

Artifacts on artifacts on artifacts on...

CHANDRA A CUUUUUTE

Holy shit, a legendary I want.

lol nice

I've missed having airships in mtg.

Limited bomb.

Seems pretty good indeed. I like this energy ressource.

Good lord, that thing looks like it could be fun.

Certainly in UG commander there's enough "dig through your top 3" cards you can be pretty consistent with getting that thing off.

Meanwhile at the Day Two Worlds Championship...

>...here we are, at the floor, doing a play by play...
>...whispering as softly as possible over the players shoulders...
>...commentating as conspicuous as possible while pacing around the table...

Kek

>Holy crap! Chandra's wearing pants!
I miss the absolute territory.

Now that I think about it, her boob plates are basically pointless if she is already wearing mail under it.