Tfw no space skaven in 40k

>tfw no space skaven in 40k

Other urls found in this thread:

gowarhead.com/2012/07/eeek-ratspawn.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

they'd fit in so well, too. so cool in fantasy

Weren't the Hrud implied to be space rats in older 40k lore?

Yeah, but now they're some kind of weird Gumby-looking alien that never gets mentioned in the lore.

Got a friend that converted all of his admech into skaven. Warpstone knights and everything.

Good, it'd be really lazy and in, along with their space dwarfs, doesn't do Mantic any favors in trying to come off as something besides not-GW.

They still sort of are in that behave similarly to rats, have warp based technology, and are somewhat associated with entropy, among other things.

Now the Hrud I would not mind becoming an army since warp based technology is only really a main stay among CSM and the Dark Mechanicus.

Much like 40k Ogres, they are but part of the glorious imperium.

Despite the name, Ratlings are hobbits.

>Steal
>Like to eat
>Cook well
>Accurate with missile weapons.

Doesnt necromunda have humans who follow the horned rat?

Nah, they were just savages that knew how to handle the underdark of the spire. And they used rats for their totem since there's a lot of rats thriving down there.

>it'd be really lazy
You're talking about a setting where every single aspect is a blatant ripoff of some other setting. And space skaven look cool regardless of how 'lazy' their implementation is.

Veer-myn look like garbage, and I say that as a Skaven player.

Haven't moved to the space age yet.

I love it.

That's pretty cool

Thing is, 40k started off as a rip and then gradually did its own thing those races. Craftworld Eldar are not just High Elves in Space, Dark Eldar are not Dark Elves in space, Exodites are arguably not just Wood Elves in space.

Meanwhile I look at Veermyn and pretty muc just see Skaven who replaced their more arcane technology for futuristic technology.

Lazy implementation is a problem in of itself because it speaks to not giving a damn of doing anything beyond pandering to certain niche groups within a larger fanbase. The types of people who wouldn't give a damn how badly Squats would clash with the lore because "They're Dorfs XD".

Mantic was probably on to something with those people if even Blizzard decided to include what is for all intents and purposes a dwarf character in Overwatch.

gowarhead.com/2012/07/eeek-ratspawn.html

Rak'gol? Aren't they Skavenish?

That makes sense, but how would GW go about implementing Skaven into 40k without pandering to certain niche groups? Is it even possible?

From a glance, not really.

Honestly, Rak'gol might as well not even be a 40k race considering that they're only mentioned within FFG books (And seemingly only one at that.)

I've seen them brought up a few times recently and I can only surmise that these people have only read the RPG books and thus don't know that they're not important in the grander scheme of things in 40k. Just another alien empire that exists out there and that usually exists as a footnote in either being stomped by the Imperium or absorbed by the Tau.

At the moment the Hrud would be perfectly fine, GW would just have to avoid the pitfall of making them 1:1 with Skaven in terms of culture and technology. Admittedly their warp based technology is similar to how Skryre primarily uses warpstone technology, but I don't think its as a big of a deal since CSM and the Dark Mechanicus also use the same technology. Could say the Imperium, Eldar, and Orks do as well if you count the weapons they have which basically kill something by opening a warp rift and having it get sucked in.

I also should say that while space Skaven are pandering of a sort, they're not as bad as space Dwarfs which seemingly ignores anything interesting and only focus on technology and the cringy stereotypical masculinity that is facial hair and overindulging in alcohol.

You forgot
>Fuck Constantly.

Rakgol are on the opposite end of the Galaxy from the Tau and are an active part of why people are terrified of the galaxy's edges. Besides the small alien groups of terrifying aliens that beset the Imperium from all sides in the old days of the setting were awesome. Part of why I dislike the Tau and Tyranids is because they took all the attention that could have been spread out to a variety of horrid xenos. Not even the Tau auxiliaries get much attention anymore.

Saw that, but didn't want to include it because outside of certain things I'm not sure how hobbits/halflings are handled in other things outside of LotR and Warhammer Fantasy.

Basically, a lot of what is written about hobbits/halflings in the latter (Majority of which was probably taken from the former and possibly DnD) basically syncs up with how Ratlings are described.

Oh, I wasn't saying that the idea of smaller alien races are bad, in fact it can be kind of interesting, I just find it weird that people bring up the Rak'gol when you could just as well bring up the numerous other minor xenos races that have been mentioned in stuff published by GW. Though whether they're the sole threat on the edge of the galaxy I find debatable considering the north eastern part has the Barghesi and other stuff in the Ghoul Stars which is apparently pretty scary.

There are likely a couple reasons why GW doesn't do much beyond mention minor xenos races. First, unless they're going to produce models for them it doesn't really behoove GW to write about them, particularly since they currently don't put out any books where they would fit in. The RPGs by FFG were perfect since all that had to be written was lore and rules. It'd be nice if they perhaps changed this, maybe using WD as a vehicle for just expanding the lore and maybe testing the waters for reaction to various concepts.

Second, the races that exist are popular and thus that feeds into them getting attention and perhaps certain kinds of attention. The Tau are an excellent example of this since in the beginning the idea that they made use of battlesuits and also employed alien auxiliaries were part of the foundation of what they are. Currently though battlesuits and perhaps the Tau in of themselves are popular and thus what get attention. Rules may have played some role here since I can't recall when Vespids where a viable choice. Kroot have fared a little better.

I really hope Skaven stay out of 40k. I liked that the two settings had distinctive characters and races.

The entire setting began because GW was losing the rights to Judge Dredd, and wanted to shit out another unique IP so they didn't have to worry about licensing.

That's also how they got Warhammer Fantasy going. They were making a shitload of minis for D&D and Glorantha that weren't selling well, so they wanted their own game to use everyone else's minis with.

Hey, Fantasy got FUCKING Space Marines.

You'd be getting an amazing deal with Skaven.

Got sources?

>tfw no space dwarfs in 40k

We have those, we call them blueberries.

>how badly Squats would clash with the lore
You mean all 1st edition people? The beakies & all?

they look like Scorpio

Look up squats

?

Look real hard at everything in And see if you can figure out why is fucking retarded.

Sure?

That doesn't change the fact that with 40k they took things in their own direction despite originally taking pieces from all over the place.

The idea in of itself is sort of original and probably why 40k has fared better than Fantasy, which on the surface looks like just another setting in the vein of LotR or DnD.

How would you justify Squats being their own faction and not just another regiment in the Imperial Guard? Justify them being able to manufacture and hold on to their own technology when the Mechanicus rolls up and tells them to gibsmedat?

You can't, unless you shit on precedent and give Squats special treatment because they're Dorfs man XD

I hate any kind of furry in any kind of setting.

That would imply GW does marketing research. Love to find the source where they admit they don't do any research.

If that is true 40k players are very bad consumers they would buy anything the company throws at them.

>How would you justify Squats being their own faction and not just another regiment in the Imperial Guard? Justify them being able to manufacture and hold on to their own technology when the Mechanicus rolls up and tells them to gibsmedat?

>comically large artillery guns
>mole machines
>space bikers
>armoured trains that are more like armoured castles

Just viewing their backstory is enough. They've got shit tons of STCs & overall are closer to the Dark Ages than the Imperium is. Some of their troops have "neo-plasma" or Conversion Beamers. They're given plenty of autonomy, even more than the AdMech thanks to them grinding the Great Crusade to a halt.