/hwg/ - Historical Wargames General

Capturing An Emperor Edition

Previous thread: Get in here, post games, miniatures, questions, whatever you like.

List of mini providers:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uGaaOSvSTqpwPGAvLPY3B5M2WYppDhzXdjwMpqRxo9M/edit
List of Historical Tactical, Strategic, and Military Drill treatises:
pastebin.com/BfMeGd6R
ZunTsu Gameboxes:
mediafire.com/folder/yaokao3h1o4og/ZunTsu_GameBoxes
/hwg/ Steam Group:
steamcommunity.com/groups/tghwg/

Games, Ospreys & References folders:
mediafire.com/folder/lu95l5mgg06d5/Ancient
mediafire.com/folder/81ck8x600cas4/Medieval
mediafire.com/folder/w6m41ma3co51e/Horse_and_Musket
mediafire.com/folder/vh1uqv8gipzo1/Napoleonic
mediafire.com/folder/bbpscr0dam7iy/ACW
mediafire.com/folder/bvdtt01gh105d/Victorian
mediafire.com/folder/b35x147vmc6sg/World_War_One
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War
mediafire.com/folder/7n3mcn9hlgl1t/Modern

mediafire.com/folder/8tatre3vd10yv/Avalon_Hill
mediafire.com/folder/pq6ckzqo3g6e6/Field_Of_Glory
mediafire.com/folder/r2mff8tnl8bjy/GDW
mediafire.com/folder/whmbo8ii2evqh//SPI
mediafire.com/folder/ws6yi58d2oacc/Strategy_&_Tactics_Magazine
mediafire.com/folder/lx05hfgbic6b8/Naval_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/s1am77aldi1as/Wargames
mega.nz/#F!ZAoVjbQB!iGfDqfBDpgr0GC-NHg7KFQ

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
mediafire.com/download/w9uxrrdsbn5m9ya/They Died For Glory (Franco-Prussian War).pdf
mediafire.com/download/0ndr696bxpxz6y5/Osprey - MAA 233 - French Army 1870-71 - Franco-Prussian War (1) Imperial Troops.pdf
mediafire.com/download/40rn9mox3mrh0b2/Osprey - MAA 416 - German Armies 1870-71 (1) Prussia.pdf
mediafire.com/download/nbpdofvxk17v6md/Osprey - MAA 422 - German Armies 1870-71 (2) Prussia's Allies.pdf
mediafire.com/download/l1tyy6vtgc35io9/Bolt Action - Germany Strikes v1.pdf
mediafire.com/download/c2154yhyr27v4fy/Funcken - Arms and Uniforms - The Second World War Part3.pdf
mediafire.com/download/g7wi8v60yi2dz22/Osprey - MAA 493 - Blitzkrieg 1940 - Denmark Norway Netherlands & Belgium.pdf
niehorster.org/index.htm
network54.com/Forum/330333/thread/1178380030/Some Norwegian weaponry, 1940
guildwargamers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=104&t=24497
shapeways.com/product/M95LKD3TL/pv121a-stridsvagn-m-40l-28mm
madbobminiatures.co.uk/shop/4587330663/toldi-tank/9975339
matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1127020
miniafv.blogspot.com/2013/05/dragon-172-type-2-ka-mi-completed-by.html?m=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Wargaming Compendium
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
>Saga
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
>Black Powder
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
>Bolt Action
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
>Hail Caesar
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
>Warhammer Ancient battles 2.0
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
>Warmaster Ancients
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
>Advanced Squad Leader
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
>Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
>Battleground WWII
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
>By Fire And Sword
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
>Modelling & painting guides
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
>Twilight 2000/2013 RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
>Phoenix Command RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
>Next War (GMT)
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
>Battlegroup
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
>Fleet Series
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ

Desired scans :
Black Powder supplements
Rank and File supplements
Harpoon 3 & 4 supplements
Force on Force supplements
Hind Commander
At Close Quarters
War and Conquest

2nd September in military history:

31 BC – Final War of the Roman Republic: Battle of Actium: Off the western coast of Greece, forces of Octavian defeat troops under Mark Antony and Cleopatra.
1192 – The Treaty of Jaffa is signed between Richard I of England and Saladin, leading to the end of the Third Crusade.
1649 – The Italian city of Castro is completely destroyed by the forces of Pope Innocent X, ending the Wars of Castro.
1792 – During what became known as the September Massacres of the French Revolution, rampaging mobs slaughter three Roman Catholic Church bishops, more than two hundred priests, and prisoners believed to be royalist sympathizers.
1807 – The Royal Navy bombards Copenhagen with fire bombs and phosphorus rockets to prevent Denmark from surrendering its fleet to Napoleon.
1862 – American Civil War: United States President Abraham Lincoln reluctantly restores Union General George B. McClellan to full command after General John Pope's disastrous defeat at the Second Battle of Bull Run.
1864 – American Civil War: Union forces enter Atlanta, a day after the Confederate defenders flee the city, ending the Atlanta Campaign.
1898 – Battle of Omdurman: British and Egyptian troops defeat Sudanese tribesmen and establish British dominance in Sudan.
1939 – World War II: Following the start of the invasion of Poland the previous day, the Free City of Danzig (now Gdańsk, Poland) is annexed by Nazi Germany.
1945 – World War II: Combat ends in the Pacific Theater: The Japanese Instrument of Surrender is signed by Japanese Foreign Minister Mamoru Shigemitsu and accepted aboard the battleship USS Missouri in Tokyo Bay.
1958 – A United States Air Force C-130A-II is shot down by fighters over Yerevan in Armenia when it strays into Soviet airspace while conducting a sigint mission. All crew members are killed.
1968 – Operation OAU begins during the Nigerian Civil War.

It is 146 years since the Battle of Sedan during the Franco-Prussian War. This resulted in the capture of French Emperor Napoleon III and his army, and for all intents and purposes decided the war in favour of Prussia and its allies, though fighting continued under a new French government.

The 120,000 strong French Army of Châlons, commanded by Marshal Patrice de MacMahon and accompanied by Napoleon III, was attempting to lift the Siege of Metz, only to be caught by the Prussian Meuse Army and defeated at the Battle of Beaumont. The Meuse Army and the Prussian Third Army, commanded by Field-Marshal Helmuth von Moltke and accompanied by Prussian King Wilhelm I and Prussian Chancellor Otto von Bismarck, cornered MacMahon's army at Sedan in a massive encirclement battle. Marshal MacMahon was wounded during the attacks and command passed to General Auguste-Alexandre Ducrot, until it was taken over by General Emmanuel Félix de Wimpffen.

The battle opened with the Army of Châlons, with 202 infantry battalions, 80 cavalry squadrons and 564 guns, attacking the surrounding Prussian Third and Meuse Armies, which totaled 222 infantry battalions, 186 cavalry squadrons and 774 guns. Napoleon had ordered MacMahon to break out of the encirclement, and the only point where that seemed possible was La Moncelle, whose flank was protected by a fortified town. The Prussians also picked La Moncelle as one point where they would mount a breakthrough. Prince George of Saxony and the Prussian XI Corps was assigned to the task, and General Baron von der Tann were ordered to attack Bazeilles on the right flank.

This was the opening engagement, as the French First Corps had barricaded the streets, and enlisted the aid of the population. Von der Tann sent a brigade across pontoon bridges at 0400 hours, but encountered stiff resistance, holding only the southern end of the town. The combat drew new forces, as French brigades from the First, Fifth and Twelfth Corps arrived.

At 0800 the Prussian 8th Infantry Division arrived, and von der Tann decided it was time for a decisive attack. He had not been able to bring artillery to bear from long range, so he committed his last brigade to storm the town, supported by artillery from the other side of the Meuse. His artillery reached the Bazeilles at 0900 hours.

The fighting continued to spread to the south of the town, and the 8th Infantry Division was sent to reinforce the Bavarians fighting at La Moncelle, where they had attempted to mount a breakthrough of the French defense. Fighting began in earnest at 0600, and the wounded MacMahon had appointed General Auguste Ducrot to command, who received the news at 0700. Ducrot ordered the retreat that Moltke had expected, but was overruled almost immediately by General de Wimpffen, who had been given a commission by the government to succeed MacMahon were he to become disabled. Wimpffen then threw his forces against the Saxons at La Moncelle. This led to a brief rally for the French, who drove back the artillery around La Moncelle and pressed the Bavarians and the Saxons. However, with the taking of Bazeilles, and the arrival of fresh waves of Prussian troops, the counter-attack began to collapse.

But by 1100 hours, Prussian artillery took a toll on the French, while more Prussian troops arrived on the battlefield. After an intense bombardment and Prussian attacks from the northwest and east, and Bavarian attacks from the southwest, the Frebcg were driven into the Bois de la Garenne and surrounded. The French cavalry launched three desperate attacks on the nearby village of Floing where the Prussian XI Corps was concentrated. Their general was mortally wounded leading the very first charge and the two additional charges led to nothing but heavy losses. By the end of the day, with no hope of breaking out, Napoleon III called off the attacks.

The French lost over 17,000 men killed and wounded with 21,000 captured. The Prussians reported their losses at 2,320 killed, 5,980 wounded and 700 captured or missing.

The next day, Napoleon III ordered the white flag to be run up and surrendered himself and the entire Army of Châlons to Moltke and the Prussian King. The capture of the French emperor left the Prussians without an opposing government willing to make a quick peace. Indeed, two days after news hit Paris of Emperor Napoleon's III capture, the French Second Empire collapsed in a bloodless revolution, leading to the creation of a new provisional government which would carry on the war for five more months, sparing no effort to try to change France's fortunes.

The defeat at Sedan and the capture of Napoleon III and France's second line army, and with the first line French Army being shut up in Metz, decided the outcome of the war in Prussia's favor. With the Second Empire overthrown, Napoleon III was permitted to leave Prussian custody for exile in England, while, within a fortnight, the Prussian Meuse Army and Third Army went on to besiege Paris.

The debacle at Sedan was to haunt Napoleon III for the rest of his life. In 1873, Napoleon III's last words were addressed to his friend, doctor Henri Conneau:

>"Henri, were you there at Sedan?" (Henri, etiez-vous à Sedan?)
>"Yes, Majesty" (Oui, Sire)
>"We were not cowards at Sedan, were we?" (N'est-ce pas que nous n'avons pas été des lâches à Sedan?)

He died shortly after.

mediafire.com/download/w9uxrrdsbn5m9ya/They Died For Glory (Franco-Prussian War).pdf
mediafire.com/download/0ndr696bxpxz6y5/Osprey - MAA 233 - French Army 1870-71 - Franco-Prussian War (1) Imperial Troops.pdf
mediafire.com/download/40rn9mox3mrh0b2/Osprey - MAA 416 - German Armies 1870-71 (1) Prussia.pdf
mediafire.com/download/nbpdofvxk17v6md/Osprey - MAA 422 - German Armies 1870-71 (2) Prussia's Allies.pdf

Reminder that the August-September /hwg/ community project is a 'Command Unit'.

ASL user and others - thanks for the Poland game suggestions from the previous thread

Shit, almost forgot, will do it today, but I gotta get my wisdom teeth removed today.

Question for all you HWG Bolt Action Folk.

Before I go all out on my starter kit, is BA a WYSIWYG Game?

That last time I assembled a game that had multiple weapon objects/options I was immediately told my units were unusable.

So, Norway BA-user from the last thread here again. What's the standard size game for BA, and what kind of armored cars/tanks can I realistically use? The french & allied book seems to let me take 0-1 tank or armored car. Norway's entire armor pool in 1940 was 3 locally made armored cars and one tank (that they left in the depot, never saw combat - the tank was a Swedish L-120 chassis that they couldn't afford to pay shipping costs or armor plating on, they put on iron plates instead of the swedish steel ones. Both the cars and tank were captured by the germans and apparently were a favourite souvenir photo op).

If don't know if it addresses that, but the new Germany Strikes sourcebook (which is in our folder) has a theatre selector for the invasions of Denmark and Norway. You might want to look at that for help. There's a recent Osprey you might also like to check out, and the third volume of the well-known Funcken WW2 series has a section on Norway.

mediafire.com/download/l1tyy6vtgc35io9/Bolt Action - Germany Strikes v1.pdf
mediafire.com/download/c2154yhyr27v4fy/Funcken - Arms and Uniforms - The Second World War Part3.pdf
mediafire.com/download/g7wi8v60yi2dz22/Osprey - MAA 493 - Blitzkrieg 1940 - Denmark Norway Netherlands & Belgium.pdf

OK, now what do I do with it?

Also, anyone tried out Oscar Sierra Charlie? I have the rulebook(let) and the 8 minis it comes with, but it is actually goo?

>but it is actually goo?
but is it actually good?*

I think it's kind of hard to make BA a not WYSIWG game, since most everyone is armed with rifles and you don't really get that many spare MGs, mortars and stuff.

What game did you try? Was it hams?

>OK, now what do I do with it?

Paint them and send them to die for glory of Il Duce

Apologies, lacked any ability to reply for the past two days. Essentially the other anons were correct, except that I don't know if diluted craft glue will work (in terms of yellowing at least).

Basically find some small washers, and go ahead and paint them to match your board and/or bases. Cut a q-tip in half, and pull it through the eye of the washer stem first, until you kind of wedge it in the eye. Tease out the shape of a splash carefully (it's really easy to accidentally pull the entire cotton swab off the stick). Dip the splash marker in your chosen goo, making sure that you get dip washer and all so that the swab adheres to the washer. In my case, I used some future wax (which is basically a liquid acrylic floor wax) that was leftover from something else and had thickened to the point of a pretty stiff acrylic gel.* Hang the swab upside down and make sure the point is nice and straight so that when it dries, it's not drooping. When it is dry, if it isn't as stiff as you want, dip it one more time. If it is, take a pair of flush cutters and nip the stem as close to flush with the washer as you can. If it still isn't flush, trim it with a razor or an x-acto.

They're extremely cheap, quick, and easy to make, particularly if you have the materials already.

*I made a second batch after I first posted them, using future wax straight out of the bottle. I wound up dipping them twice, but the end result seems much the same with no need to "age" the wax.

I know one user was talking about trying gloss varnish, and I'd like to try acrylic gel medium or water effects when I can get my hands on some.

Does it make me a terrible person that I sincerely hope that Chevauchee user's next project is
Five Men Doing Fights[/spoilers]?

Thanks for the colors and piping at least, can't see a way to add a tank on easyarmy, but we'll see. Would be fun to make "Norgestanken".
Also asking again about the point limit, since I have no idea about local scene, what's the usual game limit?

What do you do with the plastic part of the q-tip?

You nip it off as flush as you can with the bottom of the washer.

Found this site while I was looking for some information about where particular IJN ships were kitted out, as it has bearing on what particular colors they wore. It's pretty neat, actually. No idea how useful it will be to folks interested in the ground war, but I hope it's useful!

>niehorster.org/index.htm

Its WYSIWYG-lite.

There are several categories of weapons like "Pistol", "smg" "rifle" or "light/medium/heavy machine gun"
Within each category the exact weapon is not important. For example, for a german rifleman its irrelevant if he carries a bolt action K98k or a semi-auto G41, G43 or any other rifle he might have found. They all are identical rule-wise because they count as "rifle".

You can't, however, equip him with a MG-42 claiming that is a rifle. Well, you could of course, and its totally fine if your opponent is ok with it, but things like that might get confusing really quickly.

Standard size for BA is around 1000 points.
Some people like smaller games around 750, others prefer 1500-2000.

There were british troops in Norway as well as French. Your guys might have acquired one of their tanks maybe?
You could also use a captured german early war tank. Maybe a Pz 2? The Ostfront book has rules for captured vehicles. The vehicle is inexperienced and gets the "unreliable" rule because of the lack of spare parts etc.

Unreliable and inexperienced would be fluffy for the one tank they did have! They practiced with it in a field and drove it straight into a tree...

true.

Is there a 28mm model of this L-120 tank?

network54.com/Forum/330333/thread/1178380030/Some Norwegian weaponry, 1940

>Is there a 28mm model of this L-120 tank?

I found a blog where a guy had one made:

>The model is from ‘Frontline Wargaming’. It is the chassis and running gear of a Pz.38(t) with a Vickers 6-ton(export) turret. The folks at Frontline were more than happy to help me out and were interested in this little project. The model turned up promptly and was cast absolutely fine. I did a fair bit of chopping and changing and added a maxim gun that a friend gave to me to the turret and added a piece of flash as the drivers hatch on the front. I couldn’t find any colour pictures of the tank and the ‘turn black and white pictures to colour’ program that I tried using failed me horridly, so I painted it in a typical interwar colour scheme.

He also scratchbuilt one of those armoured cars

If the chassis is similar to the 38t then you should be able to find a suiting base everywhere.

That thing is so fugly it went all the way back around to cute.

It's no Bob Semple Tank but it does have a certain charm

Wow, thanks. That gives me a place to start at least. Wonderful.
Would EWA's
German 7.5cm FK16 N.A be a good substitute for Norwegian AT's? At least it's a 7,5.

It seems there are some cosmetic differences, but that could be easily greenstuffed away. I've been looking around at WW2 Norwegian stuff online and found this guy building a Rapid Fire 20mm force, you might like a look. He made a Ehrhardt 7.5 cm Model 1901 from various bits and pieces - after all when you're going to play something like the Royal Norwegian Army of WW2, then you have to be prepared for a lot of conversion and scratchbuilding.

guildwargamers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=104&t=24497

Only if it's hot fighting

The Heavy Gear Mech game. I had no idea it was WYSIWYG.

Ahh so I need to figure out what variation I want to take for my Grenadiera and Fallschirmjagers.

>German 7.5cm FK16 N.A

that "NA" stands for "neue Art" or "neue Ausführung" and means "new kind/version" i.e. the modernized version of the WW1 cannon.

For your Norwegians you might want to look if you can find an old version of that gun.
That being said, i have no idea what exactly they changed after WW1 so the gun might be fine to use.

At the very start i wouldn't bother to much with specific weapon setups. Just build a core force with lots of rifles (like 75% of your men), a few guys with smgs and a few with ARs mixed in and 1-3 guys with an lmg. Give a couple of riflemen a panzerfaust too.

Have you built anything yet?
How many men/boxes do you have?

After you played a couple of games you will see how each type of weapon performs and then you can re-arrange your existing minis to more smg-heavy squads or have a squad with focus on ARs, mass the panzerfausts into one etc.

I was curious and read a bit about that tank.

The swedish L-120 Stridsvagn looks almost exaclty as the L-60.

shapeways.com/product/M95LKD3TL/pv121a-stridsvagn-m-40l-28mm

The Toldi tank is based upon that one:

madbobminiatures.co.uk/shop/4587330663/toldi-tank/9975339

With a little change to the turret this might be your easiest option i think.

Konflikt 47 starter and 1 Fallschirmjagers army.

So 24 Grenadiera from the K47

And what feels like 3 sprue of Fallschirmjagers.

I've only built one grenadier with their Grenade launcher...looks like a panzerfaust

>Grenade launcher

Yes, probably a Panzerfaust.

Have you read the rules yet?
These are 1-shot weapons, so you might want to glue him a rifle onto his back.

The Assault rifles in the Fallschirmjäger sprues (FG-42) look different from the Stg-44 Assault rfiles in the Grenadier sprues, so keep that in mind. Rule-wise they are exactly the same though.

Can anyone recommend a source describing the fighting in the caves/tunnels on the Kerch peninsula in 1942?

Would Anal Raper 3 be a bad recommendation for fighting and tight tunnels?

Robert Forczyk's "Where The Iron Crosses Grow" has always been considered a great book about the Crimean campaign in general.

Thanks. Might get one of those and change the turret weapon to a M/29 HMG.
Everything has to be put on indefinite hold however, I'm going to the delivery room with my wife.

Congrats on the impending invasion! Hope everything goes well!

I'm putting together a small panzer grenadier force to learn BA with, and am curious about how gear would have changed for existing troops. Looking at 15 PzGrn in Italy and the Battle of the Bulge, the small bits of history I've found say it was reconstituted from a few Afrika Corps veterans that were in Europe at the time. Would they have been reequipped with 'late war' dress and equipment, or would they be wearing earlier stuff in amongst the later equipment? Would only fresher troops have newer gear, or were there periodic refreshes of uniforms?

I have some of the Perry Afrika Corps plastics and trying to figure out if they can be mixed in or not.

I would think the difference between desert gear and winter gear would be noticeable, but I'm not any kind of authority.

the AK uniform would have been replaced, you can't mix the figures.

On the general issue of changing equipment, it depends on stocks, where troops were equipped, are they a second line unit etc.

Fallshirmjager are good case study of the changing nature of German uniforms with the transition from their own/luftwaffe to more general Heer equipment as the war went on.

Five Men in the Desert.

Five Men in the Sauna.

Thank you! Luckily I can still theorycraft.
Might the upper cannon here match a 75mm M/39 mountain howitzer? Or rather, do you think anyone would have a problem? I might go for a frontline wargaming 38 chassis to make Norgestanken, but I'm not world class at conversions. Are BA people as strict as (some) others, in that they go crazy if your shoebuckles are the wrong color?

And a pic of said howitzer.

anytime. its what we are here for

> Wife literally going into labour
> Still researching Norwegian howitzers

This is what /hwg/ does to a man.

Well, not labor yet, they have to start her up since the baby is getting kinda big.
So nothing major will happen until maybe tomorrow, but she has to stay for observation and "maturing". So there's still time for my howitzers and home-made tanks and armored cars. Lucky me that someone actually bothered making madsen lmgs and colt m29 mmgs.

Do the research while you can mate, won't have much time with a kid on your hand. And congratulations for the Mini You.

Name the Kid hot diggety

Will you name the kid after me?

Honestly, better to sit around focusing on tanks and stuff than getting in the way.

Though to be fair, I am of the belief that the best place for a father during birth times is down the pub with some friends, well out of the way of the proceedings. Perhaps consider having some comrades and alcohol around at home so collective tank enjoyment can be had?.

surely the appropriate thing would be to create a thread and take the result of whoever rolls trips first?

In wargaming news, Henry Hyde is stepping down from editing Miniature Wargames with Battlegames magazine, and the publisher is apparently making changes.
having given up on reading that magazine for several years now, I can't say I really care. Battlegames was better when it was it's own thing, a simple, collected set of articles, minimal focus on miniatures pron or flavour of the moment gaming. The combined MWBG magazine to me felt like it ended up becoming incredibly stale, very quickly. I suppose this is probably the case for almost all wargaming magazines, that medium being one of the most replaceable with purely online content these days, but I feel like MWBG ended up as a combo of the worst parts of both with endless focus on the same old Ancients, Napoleonics and 17th century guff dominating, and fantasy/sci-fi wargaming having supposedly been let out of it's ghetto section of the magazine to just pretty much disappear.
Plus the woman with creepy disembodied hands building terrain. never liked that.

Wargames, soldiers and strategy in my opinion continues to be the only worthwhile generalist (still mostly historicals) wargaming magazine by virtue of a longer production cycle and focusing issues on certain themes that may or may not be interesting. Plus the lists of who produces miniatures relevant to theme of the issue is really damn handy, with it's size comparisons and general overview of how complete the ranges are.

>OK, now what do I do with it?

Open it.
Check the minis for miscasts
Remove flash and mold lines (you might want to use a small file for that)
Glue the minis onto bases
Start painting
Post pics

Skål!

*slight edit, I remembered they removed the fantasy/sci-fi stuff from a short segment ...only to jam it back into another short segment of pretty much just figure releases.

And for someone who doesn't just do historicals, it was a letdown.

In Italy, they certainly used their AK equip and tropical uniforms were very common there because the weather allowed it.

In northern france (and during winter) they used different gear.

Congrats user!

>Are BA people as strict as (some) others

It comes down to the people, but in general i would assume that most of them have never heard about that Norwegian tank nor do they know how exactly it looked.

My place I feel is right here with her, and I am usually a GW gamer, so my board is filled with skellies and knights anyway. But I saw those Gorgon norwegians a while ago and it's stuck with me, as they were well made I kinda wanted some anyway, if only for display. But I'll go past the LGS tomorrow on my way to the hospital and ask them about any BA players. I know some people from the local gaming club too, might be they play too.

Thank you! Might just have a tipple of that very bottle when I get home - it's in my cellar.

Had never heard of Aquavit before, sounds pretty damn good though. Acquiring a bottle just went on my list of things to do.

>75mm Mountain Howitzer

The Empire of Japan sends its greetings, may your glorious howitzer bring you honor!

So, how was Napoleon III as a general (not looking at just Sedan, but every battle where he personally took command)? Was he really as shit as Republitards want us to believe, or were the Prussians simply too good?

>That horrible feel when we wouldn't have to deal with two shitty world wars and the toll it took on Europe if Napoleon III won that one battle. You had ONE JOB.

I couldn't feel more totally differently oppositely whatever I can't words tonight.

I loved MWBG, and BG before it from the back issues I've read. There wasn't much sf/f, yeah, and I'd prefer MWBG and a regular SF/F wargaming magazine, but it was a magazine I really liked.

WS&S is pretty good, but only interesting enough to pick up every other issue when it's a topic I want to read about.

Hopefully NewMWBG is better than WI though.

I'd say I hope it's better than new white dwarf, but lol

Really, you can blame both wars on the goddamn serbs as well.

As if Europe wouldn't have exploded in violence at least once for some other reason if that was the case.

Let me guess: yank?

It's quite strong and sharp, and works best with fatty meat like mutton or pork. It'll burn all the way down if you're not used to strong alcohol. Quite a strong caraway flavor, for some it's and aquired taste. Also, get superior version made from potatoes, not that tryhard grain shit. Danish or Norwegian types are the best.

Can't do most grain liquors anyway for dietary reasons. I like caraway in sauerkraut, so should be no biggie. Now I'm picturing a big plate of fall-apart greasy brisket. And I'm also hungry. Dammit.

Fatty pork with sauerkraut and crispy crackling and aquavit is basically the staple Norwegian christmas dinner anyway. Good times.

my mouth is like a river right now

Killing me here user.

Back OT, what's on /hwg/s desk today? I spent my free time making bases for all the IJN stuff I have that's Batlle of Java Sea appropriate in hopes that I can soon get a game in with them and the ABDA stuff I've been working on. I've started cleaning up the models for repriming too, but I keep staring at all the portholes on the cruisers and saying "maybe tomorrow."

Miniature Wargames did try a spinoff magazine for sci-fi/fantasy before the merger but it never went beyond a test issue. I suspect that it's because the magazine buying segment of gamers tend to be older men playing historicals almost exclusively. I doubt there's that much of the younger audience which does actually buy magazines given how print media has been going, and for a lot of people, the advertising pamphlet that is White Dwarf will have been the only one that they were even aware of.
But also it was done before Age of Sigmar happened and suddenly a LOT of people were bailing out of exclusively playing warhammer AND 40k and into other games.

Good idea, wrong time, wrong audience.

First time I derailed a thread with my love of family, aquavit and antiquated norwegian artillery.

>what's on /hwg/s desk today?
Organising most of my collection and putting it in foam storage trays.
Only to realise I still need more foam than what I'd ordered.

Next up on my paintan table: some D&D minis for others, to be followed by a Soviet mech infantry platoon for team yankee and a Zvezda M109 as a test mini.

>what's on /hwg/s desk today?

A lack of easily visible progress mostly.

Despair and a lack of money

I like the aquavit by Montgomery distilling out of Missoula Montana, though I haven't tried a whole lot of different types of the real thing so dont know how it compares.

I like brennivín too but it's essentially non-existent in the US.

On topic, All I've done so far was finishing removing scabby spray primer from 20 or so guys. Gonna try gesso later.
Hoping to get some terrain built over the weekend but we're expecting a boy in November and so I've got a lot of lead paint to remove and other house projects that take priority.

>what's on /hwg/s desk today
Typing up the Japanese army list. Just finished the summary of IJN and IJA land forces, organization and doctrines, as well as the overview of the U.S. pacific campaign. Also organized the 5 other army lists for getting printed books done - pretty psyched about that!

Now just need to do the flavor text for most of the units in pic related

So... many... light.... tanks

Zulu wars skirmish game checking in again, does user have the scan of that magazine up yet?

user had his tooth removed today, it's stillbleeding, doesn't know how he'll sleep or anything, so no, sorry.

Also I would like to say some of the Japanese amphibious tanks are preeetty nifty. Would love to get some of these if they were'n't 20GBP a pop

I'd like a SS Ki engineering flame vehicle. From a design standpoint it's terrible, doing 10 different things fairly poorly rather than just being a dedicated flame assault vehicle like an OT-34 but I still want one for the oddball factor.

prepping for my next video playthrough

hahaha, well at least it doesn't launch torpedoes, or have the ability to be deployed from a submarine...

Youre alright old man

Saw this in one of the naval groups I follow the other day. Couldn't find the original post, but this will give you the gist of it.

>matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1127020

One of the orkkiest things I've read about in a while. Right up there with the addition of quad 50's in the nose of PBY's in Black Cat duty (the implementation, not just the more dakka).

Norwegian BA army back again - thought I was going home to sleep and feed the cats for the night, but was called back by crying wife - back to cannon shitposting, haha.

To elaborate on the PBY's:

Essentially one of the pilots took four .50 cals, kicked out the front glass in the nose, poked them through, rigged up a mount and a firing mechanism. THEN they threw a heat resistant blanket over the whole mess, and the gunner that normally operated the twin .30s in the nose straddled the whole damn mess and did as usual while getting a very warm and hard prostate massage from the quad .50s he was riding on.

Just played a cracking game of Blucher down my local club. Will probably upload a battle report here at some point, but I've got work in the morning so for now here's a picture of the table.

Dragon makes some for cheaper in 1/72 though still somewhat expensive because Dragon

miniafv.blogspot.com/2013/05/dragon-172-type-2-ka-mi-completed-by.html?m=1

looking forward to it

Yeah I just stopped myself ordering 2 of those. I dont really need them, as cool as they would be to have!

We need a Hogarth-style engraving series "The Grognard's Progress

So I see that the best unit I can field as NorwayBA is the Royal Guard - and I absolutely cannot find any minis that match. I mean, look at this glorious fucker here - germans called them the "Black Devils".

They actually wore that getup in the field?

Is there anything we can't blame on the Serbs, though?

Or, more realistically, is there any problem in the world that is not, ultimately, the Serbs' fault?