Degenesis

Thinking about running a game as we just got the books in at my university club. What are your experiences with it and would you recommend it?

Awesome setting laid out in the worst possible way with great art and shit rules.

care to elaborate further?

Importantly, did you get Degenesis or Degenesis Rebirth? If the former, don't play. If the latter, it's fine, although I think a different system could handle the game better. Not Savage Worlds, and probably not GURPS (both could do it, but the former would shift the tone greatly, and the latter would be a lot of work).

In the event your university club *did* get Degenesis (as in, first edition), the books are floating around, and one of us could probably find them for you.

Rebirth, the snazzy sixmorevodka white books

I'm jealous. Yeah, you're good to go, then. Everything you need is in those two books. Character creation is a little weird, and I don't know if there's any official printable sheets. But that's it. Story time once you run it?

So how's the system? I keep seeing the case with the two books at my LGS, and it looks really snazzy, but I'm at a point in my life where I need an interesting system to get me going.

Other person here. Personally, I'm okay with the system. It's basically an easier Shadowrun system (roll D6 for attribute+skill, 4-6 are hits, 6 is a special hit. My players complained about too much incertainty in rolls because you only roll 6d6 for an average skill. We changed the system by doubling all numbers and making ego points more like edge.

We also played it with FATE, which works surprisingly well. In the end, combat is too deadly to play it like D&D, so my setting is more like a small but sprawling Wild West town. My players really liked it but not all of them as much as Shadowrun apparently. Anyway, grab two friends and see how it goes, it's a lot of grimdark fun.

I should add that we all really love the setting, but the system is definitely not to everyone's liking. Still, one of my friends keeps telling me about how he loved it and we occassionally do oneshots.

Yeah there are sheets you can do online or print on the Degenesis website.

I absolutely love the setting but haven't been able to find a game with anyone and the books continue to collect dust on my bookshelf. Good luck OP.

The setting really pulled me in and this will be the first time I'm running a non 40k/burning wheel game at my school in like 2 years.

>Storytime
Happily, I think I'm going to run a game either in Franka or in and around the protectorate.

woops, latter meant for

>My players complained about too much incertainty in rolls because you only roll 6d6 for an average skill

A chance of failure 8ie no successes at all) of just over 1.5% is too much for them? I mean why the fuck even roll at all if you're 99.98% sure you'll make it?

I ran a short game online and it was pretty great. My only complaint would be that you should limit what cults people make characters from unless your players are cool kind of over looking some prejudices. Its not a big issue though.

The mechanics are very straightforward and dead simple. They manage to nicely balance characters in the different dimensions of power and might that the setting lays out. That said, this isn't a combat game. When it comes to blows things have gone awry and characters are at serious risk of getting taken out. Much like CoC the game is in navigating the impossible social landscape and only enter into armed conflict when you have superior numbers, weapons, the high ground, excellent cover, and the element of surprise. There are a few enemies who will fight to the end, but for the most part communication remains the most important element even when bullets are already flying. But you could go full arena tournament with this crunch, mechanically that's no problem. It is fast, gritty, and follows a narrative realism.

The setting is pure gold! It is a complex weave of countless interests in a flavorful vision that has layer upon layer of secrets and paradoxes. The GM definitely has to define the starting position. Culture and Cults must fit together within the group to enable any meaningful cooperation. The only alternative is to Enemy Mine it and isolate the party from the setting.

It's a box of chocolates for any GM and the nuances of flavors that are in the book ready to one shot the hell out of is breathtaking. It's post apoc dieselpunk body horror conspiracy that doesn't shy away from religion, race, fascism, or sex. But it isn't crammed at all, it's balkanized. And although exploitative, it is never shallow, always questioning the many dogmas presented so the stories made in it can be meaningful and unpredictable.

Add to that the high (HIGH!) quality art and its distinct style and you arrive at a game that may well be under priced at 100 moneys.

I can't say much but I'm planning on running something with it soon as well.

Man, I wish I could get in on a game like this, it looks awesome.

see or do you just not have a group?

Also, thank you for bumping

>at my school
You are supposed to be 18 to play this game, you know.

Consider: University.

there's something wrong with that picture but i cant quite put my finger on it

Not him but I personally don't have a group that would play it.

What would you guys say are the big cult/culture clashes that are a big 'no-no?'

Jehammedans and Ana-, actually, Jehammedans and just about everyone. Like, fuck.

If it's something to do with the figure, the top of the trunk, where the neck joins the body, is difficult to read. Same goes for the hips, especially since legs aren't shown.

It's not bad, and without doing analysis the proportions and how the body are arranged are mostly fine, but there's a definite lack of negative space being used. The silhouette is wholly unreadable. Just look at how the neck blurs directly into the headband.

I'm fairly sure that's what's responsible for making the left shoulder look pushed forward far too much.

Palers are up there too. Not as outrightly hostile to the outsiders the goat-fuckers, but there's so much distrust between them and practically everyone else.