/tgesg/ - Weekend Elder Scrolls Lore General

Break of Dawn Edition.

>Tabletop/P&P RPGs
[Scrollhammer - Tabletop Wargame] 1d4chan.org/wiki/Scrollhammer_2nd_Edition
Discussion in #Scrollhammer (irc.thisisnotatrueending.com (port 6667))
[UESRPG 1e + other TES RPGs] mediafire.com/uesrpg
Discussion in #UESRPG (same server)

>Lore Resources
[The Imperial Library] imperial-library.info/
[/r/teslore] reddit.com/r/teslore/
[UESP/Lore] uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Main_Page
[Pocket Guide to the Lore] docs.google.com/document/d/1AtsWXZKVqB4Q825_SwINY6z4_9NaGknXgeOknOCDuCU/edit
[Elder Lore Podcast] elderlore.wordpress.com/
[How to Become a Lore Buff] forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1112211-how-to-become-a-lore-buff/

>General Rules
This is NOT /tesg/ minus waifus, so behave properly.
No waifus except for Azura and Meridia.
Keep the squabbling to a minimum.

Previous Kalpa:

Other urls found in this thread:

uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Ehlnofex_Languages
uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:The_Tale_of_Dro'Zira
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

How is dawnbreaker not the best daedric artifact?

>fucking blows undead up on death
>explosion chance increases as you get more hits in
>explosion even sends deathlords fleeing
>play vampire with spell absorption, gain magicka from explosions to cast more fireballs yourself

Can someone re-explain the Talos oversoul to me?

If I'm not mistaken you start out with Hjalti, Zurin and Ysmir. Zurin and Ysmir were the Underking, Hjalti and Ysmir were Talos Stormcrown and Hjalti and Zurin were Tiber Septim. Talos Stormcrown, Tiber Septim and the Underking form the god Talos. Zurin is the mage, Hjalti is the thief, Ysmir is the warrior. The 'nightblade from High Rock' that assasinated Cuhlecain would've been the mix of Hjalti and Zurin, right? Or just Hjalti? Nightblade is a hybrid thief-mage class after all.

Did I mess anything up? I probably did. Do correct me on anything as I'm a deep lore amateur.

Pretty spot on as far as I can tell. I believe there was no Nightblade involved, and that was a lie fabricated so HjaltiTiber could become emperor. Hjalti murdered Cuhlecain and then slit his own throat and pinned it on assassins.
That's an awful way to spell "Spellbreaker"
Also Meridia is disgusted by you, using Dawnbreaker as a vampire.

Were you the guy asking about this last weekend?
Because I was the guy who provided the infodump and never even noticed the
>Zurin is the mage, Hjalti is the thief, Ysmir is the warrior.
part before.

Wait a minute
Did Hjalti/Tiber/Talos become a god because he did the whole enantiomorph thing, as opposed to Reman or Titus who did not? Is that why Tiber became Talos and thus is special amongst the Cyrodiilic dynasties?

>Pretty spot on as far as I can tell. I believe there was no Nightblade involved, and that was a lie fabricated so HjaltiTiber could become emperor. Hjalti murdered Cuhlecain and then slit his own throat and pinned it on assassins.
I already know it's not some random assassin.

We've talked before about Bethesda making a Hammerfell game that focuses on collecting Sword Singing techniques instead of Dragon Shouts.

What if a Valenwood game is about Wild Hunt transformations? The Hero is blessed with limited exemption from the Earth Bones by Y'ffre to stop the Thalmor, or whatever.

Troll Strength, Dragon Hide, Eagle Eye etc. become literal. Become an Imga/Birdman for extra maneuverability. Grow claws & horns & poison sacs to turn the tide of combat. Shit maybe mix some plants in there too for sneakthief builds. And think of the Alchemy implications!

>collecting Hist forms (Saxhleel, Naga and such) in Black Marsh
>collecting ancestor blessings in Morrowind
>collecting magic powers in High Rock
>collecting Psijic mystic powers in Alinor
>collecting superpower drugs in Khajiitistan
>collecting Shezarrine shouts in Cyrodiil
I'm telling you, they'll come up with a dragon shout reskin for every province.

>control an uncontrollable force because we need dragonshout replacements
>wild hunt becomes generic polymorphic spells
No thanks.

But it'd be so coooooool. :(
Besides Y'ffre's the ones with the keys and is diametrically opposed to the Dominion's BLOW IT ALL UP endgame, it makes sense.

>last resort defense or painful punishment for rebellious bosmer
>give it to some random shmuck
>he transforms and eats everything in valenwood
Y'ffre isn't alive to do anything about the Thalmor anyway.

Heroes are ordained by destiny, nothing random about it.
And like I said, LIMITED exemption. Controlled transformation. It wouldn't even be considered a "true" Wild Hunt at all for that reason, s'just the best term available.
>Y'ffre isn't alive
>implying death means anything to Ada

>Peryite and Namira are both Daedra of eww gross
>Peryite is considered wholly "evil" for it just because he throws the odd pox party
>Namira isn't despite promoting missionary murder and cannibalistic sacrifice
i dont understand

What are you going to do about it, Peryfag?

>being a Namiraspie

Why is the Tribunal clearly the best religion on Tamriel?

>not embracing namira's lifestyle
>worshipping the lesser dragon of the common cold

Who considers Pus the Magic Dragon evil? He's associated with disease and plague, but he also gives protection from those diseases, follows the natural order, and isn't malicious towards everyone who talks to him.

>religion

>they'll come up with a dragon shout reskin for every province.
They have to do something like that, otherwise people are going to complain about "removing features". And we all know how people loved to complain about that, justified or not.
We will never have a game were special powers are completely optional for the main character.
Besides, most of the things listed don't even sound that bad.

>not worshipping dibella
>not being part of the lewdest cult in tamriel

>Lewdest cult in Tamriel
Pretty sure that's Sanguine by definition.

Peryite is weak and a shit and nobody likes him.

I wish he'd get some screentime in the next Elder Scrolls.

Then you're not worshipping Dibella hard enough.

Sanguine has other aspects to him aside from fucking. That's really just one way to express his rampant hedonism and indulgence.

Ysmir wasn't the Underking yet, unless you want to refer to him literally being the "power behind the throne" during the formative years of Hjalti's ambition, which is totally valid. Something about there always being an Underking.

Later, the Underking born from Zurin and Hjalti/Tiber's betrayal would either be an amalgamation of Zurin and Wulf, or one being confused for the other.

You don't need to worry about what each of them are in combination with the other. Ysmir was what he was known as with the assistance of Wulf, Tiber is his Cyrodiilic name as general, and Talos his divine name.

But, of course, Zurin is a Tsaesci and Wulf a Bosmer, as we all know.

Yap.

Why not both?

>Hjalti - Breton
>Wulfharth - Nord
>Zurin - Imperial

>Lorkhan/Sheor - Trickster
>Shor - Warrior
>Shezarr - Mage

Erandur's dialogue in Skyrim:

>When asked about Vaermina, he will answer, "Vaermina resides in a strange realm known as Quagmire... a nightmarish land where reality shifts upon itself in seemingly impossible ways. From her citadel at the center, she reaches forth to collect our memories, leaving nothing in return apart from visions of horror and despair." He is unsure what she does with the memories, but is sure it cannot be good: "Who can say? Perhaps she collects them for display like works of art in a nonsensical art gallery. Whatever the case may be, her intentions are far from benevolent."

Whaddya guys think she does with the dreams? Would parts of the Quagmire actually look all happy and psychedelic, like the Mania part of Shivering Isles but amplified?

And by Trickster I mean Thief, of course.

>Shezzar is a mage.
I'm intrigued. Explain.

Wait, Sheorkhanarr makes up the whole enantiomorph by himself? I thought he was the thief, Auriel the warrior and Magnus the mage.

Because Dibella worshipers despise Sanguine, interestingly enough.

Ah, well, it's sort of just filling the blank there, to be honest.

It's just patterns within patters. It's not an enantiomorph itself, though, not like Convention. Just something to think about within the context of Talos.

>Wulf a Bosmer
Wouldn't hold much stock in that theory.

I'm joking.

But it is completely true.

What's the default language in Tamriel called (english basically)? Tamriellic?

Third guy jumping in, I'm guessing it's because the mage in the talos oversoul (Zurin Arctus) is Imperial, and Shezarr is the Imperial name for Sh(e)orkha(j)narr.

I suppose it the same way epicureans dislike hedonists.

>epicureans dislike hedonists
Well, OTHER hedonists, to be precise.

Yes, Tamrielic. There's also Cyrodiilic, which is the same thing, apparently, itself derived from Aldmeris, with influence from Ayleidoon, the Nedic languages, and Nordic; primarily the first and last of those, at one time being called Middle Cyro-Norst, presumably around the time of Reman.

To be fair there is a difference between epicureanism and hedonism, even if it's more of a philosophical difference.

To make this more clear, the core was probably some Nedic dialect, taking heavy influence from the Ayleid language (itself a distant product of Aldmeris), then, with the arrival of the Nords and the establishment of the early empires, very heavy influence from that, and then more influence from Aldmeris along with all the other Ald/tmeri influence on the empire and Cyrodiil.

I tried to link a divine to a hold (capital) of Skyrim, similar to Cyrodiil's counties. Tell me what you think.

>Dibella - Markarth
>Mara - Riften
>Kynareth - Whiterun
>Talos - Windhelm
>Akatosh - Solitude
>Zenithar - Dawnstar
>Arkay - Falkreath
>Julianos - Winterhold
>Stendarr - Morthal

The last combination is only because the rest were left out. Winterhold itself might be as anti-intellectual as the rest of the eastern holds, but atleast it has the college (which is more relevant than the town itself)

Might be easier to do with Atmoran/early Nordic totems.

uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Ehlnofex_Languages

Also, some Tsaesci influence.

Eh, they're mostly name changes. Shor would replace Talos, and Mara and Stuhn would become contenders for Solitude and Windhelm respectively (wolf and bear flags)

I could've sworn it was a Skyrim loading screen but apparently not. Turns out it's from the On Oblivion book:
>Mehrunes Dagon, Molag Bal, Peryite, Boethiah, and Vaermina are among the most consistently "demonic" of the Daedra
Also the wiki:
>He is typically listed along with princes such as Mehrunes Dagon and Vaermina as one of the few truly evil Daedric Lords

Yeah, probably mostly among the Nibenese. Speaking of which, both the Nibenese and Colovians would have their own accents, dialects, if not outright distinct languages.

>Kothringi, unlike Falmer, Dwemer or Ayleids are an extinct race we know jackshit about
I DEMAND SWAMP MAN LORE
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Both.
HYPERCUBE

>philosophical difference
Philosophical differences tend to matter a lot to philosophers. Epicureans are hedonists.
But let's not argue over this-

>Imperial Battlewarrior
>Imperial Battlethief
Eh. Doesn't roll off the tongue.

Play ESO for it's rich and well established lore on them :^)

>"Silver" could also simply be a mistranslation of the Mesonedic (c. 1E 800-1500) iisirbró, which was used to describe the luster of the moon and carried a distinctive connotation of holiness. Since many Kothringi embraced the Alessian Doctrines, it could be that their whole race was called moon-like and holy in praise.

While we're at it, another LN tidbit on language:
>...in cyrodiil until the mid 3rd era: the language of government and academia (that is what we refer to as the "common tongue") arises more out of Elven speech than it does out of Nedic.

>collecting magic powers in High Rock
And some people act like it's not the most generic province. :^)
Also Morrowind & Cyrodiil sound like bigass stretches but we've already been there so w/e.

>Magnus and vampires.jpg

Is that first excerpt from ESO? Sure sounds like it.
>mistranslation
>the most isolated human race embracing the Alessian Doctrines and not having their own pantheon

Nah, it's by LN as part of the PGE2, and is specifically trying to shake things up if I remember correctly.

You mixed up the Beast races too. Black Marsh would be different varieties of narcotic Hist sap. Elsweyr would be ja'Kha-jay forms.
Same principle as the Wild Hunt pitch. It'll be how they try to placate us whilst not having to put extra work into NPC variety.
You're empowered by the Lunar Lattice and interchangeably play as the first Senche/Alfiq/Daga/etc. Tamriel's seen since the Void Nights.

What the fuck is an Ur-Daedra and how does it relate to Nocturnal?

King Prince.

Ur-Dra is a old Aldmeri term that roughly translates to "Top Cunt".

And most Nords would speak in day-to-day life a Tamrielic with heavy Nordic influence, for education, commerce and military they would speak standard Tamrielic, while those in the remote rural areas and the Skaal would speak actual Nordic.

Similar to how you have English, Scots and Gaelic in Scotland.

What about Bretons?

Probably Tamriellic, though they at the very least used to speak Bretic.

What's so great about the patron of sneakthief then?

Do Nords have any special lingo they mix in their Tamriellic? Dunmer love to throw in some f'lah/bvek/n'wah/s'wit/fetcher in casual dialogue. All I can think of is milk drinker.

Do you think it'd be cool if some of the more tradionalist type Nords (remote rural areas as you mentioned, and eastern Skyrim in general) would throw in some dragon language here and there? Draugr speak in Draconic by default. Just imagine insulting Dunmer or Imperials in the Dragon language.

>throw insult in an ancient powerful magic language
>roughly translates to "cock sucker"
>man begins shaking
>he can't control himself
>he begins sucking every cock within a mile radius
>he can't stop even if he wanted to
>he has been commanded by ancient world altering voice magic to become a massive faggot
>this is what happens when you casually use godmagic

>TLDB is recognized as Hjalti, Ysmir and Stormcrown
Are all Shezarrines after the covenant of Alessia Dragonborns aswell? Considering the blessing of being Dragonborn comes from Akatosh, which wasn't a thing before.

There was this odd theory of Orcs literally being Dwemer, or atleast related in some way.

Could anyone explain it?

She's the Prince amongst Princes, her domains are Shadows, Possibility and Luck, and she'd likely one of the very first spirits to come into being.
Remember, she's not the Ur-Daedra, but the Ur-Dra. Her seniority precedes the Aedra/Daedra distinction.
She is, in other words, the real deal.

The exact nature of this title is the source of some disagreement.
She claims to be an aspect of the original Void, and most seem to believe her.

The Dworc theory. I'll try and remember most of it.

Okay...Dumac Dwarf-Orc. Bam, right off the bat. In some texts he's referred to as "Dumalacath."

The general idea is that the legend of Boethia consuming Trinimac and the Red Moment are one in the same, with the Dwemer not vanishing, but rather becoming the Orcs.

>giant enemy crab

Well, it's just as fossil, you fight his ghost. Tamriel has seen bigger crabs though.

Do we know anything about emperor crabs outside Ald'Ruhn?

Unfortunately not.

That's actually better than the Big Robot thing that's cannon

It really, seriously, honestly is not.

It's also borderline completely debunked.

This reminds me of Dro'Zira.
Never forget Dro'Zira.

uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:The_Tale_of_Dro'Zira

That would imply that the Dwemer worshipped Trinimac, and the Dwemer, neckbeardy as they are, mock all gods, preferring their own provable gods of Reason and Logic.

It's the very power of atheism that made the Dwemer great. It also made them dissapear. Was it worth it in the end?

Being right is always worth it.

They're not actually atheists.

Dwemer share the same train of thought as the Altmer right? That reality is a prison they can escape. Thalmor are tremendous faggots while Dwemer actually get shit done though.

Sort of. They're trying to do it the opposite way around, though. Actually, everything about them is the opposite, with comparable end goals.

Well, the Thalmor are trying.

Well they physically invented their God, so I suppose you're right.

And they don't deny the existence of any others, just dismiss them.

That said, they do fundamentally end up dismissing everything.

Zurin and Wulfharth both being the same Underking is a misconception caused by people misinterpreting the Arcturian Heresy.

In the book, Wulfharth is not claiming that he is the Underking in Daggerfall, he is stating that Zurin Arctus is not and has no right to claim himself the 'true' Underking.

What are you talking about? Namira is pretty much universally considered evil, in fact, in Khajiit myth she is basically the very idea of evil.

Namiira, in general, is pretty interesting in Khajiiti faith.

>Troll Strength, Dragon Hide, Eagle Eye etc. become literal. Become an Imga/Birdman for extra maneuverability. Grow claws & horns & poison sacs to turn the tide of combat. Shit maybe mix some plants in there too for sneakthief builds. And think of the Alchemy implications!
I've seen something like that before. I'm hype.

>we should appropriate this thing from the lore, butcher it completely, and use its name to add a dumb gimmick to the game

Conceptually, Namira is my favorite Daedra. Unfortunately Oblivion and Skyrim don't do Namira much justice. Kind of just wish Bethesda wouldn't bother putting her in the games.
I have similar feelings about Malacath.

If you think about it, shadows=~void and possibility/luck=~chaos. She is very "Padomeic"; maybe she is Lorkhan's older sister. She is the patron of **thieves** after all.

SeeAre you saying she comes up outside Words of the Clan Mother? Because if so I'd like to hear where.
...Shit it's ESO isn't it.

So par the course then?

I said 'Namira is evil'
not 'Peryite isn't evil'

>Lorkhan's older sister
Just about all "female" spirits have some sort of relationship with Lorkhan.
Nocturnal also has some possible connections to Namira and Azura.

>Are you saying she comes up outside Words of the Clan Mother?
Unfortunately not, I just think her portrayal in that particular text is interesting.

:(