Kaladesh Mechanics

We've got a few hours before Kaladesh gets opened up to the public eye cardwise. What do you guys hope to see in the new cards? Will Metalcraft make a return? Is the Story Spotlight thing at the bottom of Pic Related basically saying "Buy the Planeswalker Deck to get this"?

>Will Metalcraft make a return?

Obviously not.

Give an izzet artifacts legend for edh and I will never ask for anything else

>tfw there will never be a Legendary Bear creature for my Bear tribal deck

>TFW it will be as awful as the Spider and werewolf legends because an actually strong card like that, interacting with artifacts will never be printed in an artifact block designed around artifacts because "muh powerdown sets"

The sorrow will be terrible...

Just based on the fact that there is very specific wording of, "at least 3 artifacts you control," which is the exact same number needed for Metalcraft, I think we'll see it returning, but we'll also see cards with different numbers required to turn on Metalcraft (MaRo said that there would be no returning mechanics in Kaladesh, he didn't say anything about evolving/tweaking a prior mechanic).

We know that Mechanic E (whatever that is) from original Mirrodin is coming out in Kaladesh too.

Personally, I'm hoping for some kind of sub-theme with the following: UR artifacts, UW artifact fliers/control, RW humans/soldiers, GR elves, RB dwarves, UB undead artifacts, with every color (other than black) getting some sort of reasonably priced artifact hate.

>yfw it's Imprint

Yeah, if Metalcraft were going to return, Inventors' Fair would have it.

Technically Metalcraft isn't a mechanic. Just like Landfall isn't, and Hellbent isn't. They're what we call Ability Words; they tie together things with a common thread, but don't actually have any rules meaning. This card works no differently right now than it would if they put "Metalcraft -" in italics before it. Same reason Sporemound doesn't say "landfall"; if there's not enough cards in the set using that 'mechanic' to justify printing it on the card, they won't.

it wont be called metalcraft, but, similarly to embodiment of insight or tireless tracker, the mechanic might be present on more cards and with varying numbers of artifacts to satisfy the conditions

You could go with hatebears and bears with this guy.

that's actually not a bad idea.

Given how wizards is simplifying reminder text, I am surprised they did not use metalcraft again.

Or you could use this guy, and turn your bears into fungus with Conspiracy.

>simplifying reminder text
What?

Forgot the picture.

The new "create" a token creature, vrs put a (insert name and type here) onto the battlefield.

Kay, that's not reminder text. That's rules text. They did something similar with 'dies'- it's more flavorful, saves space on the card, and changes nothing rules-wise.

Second, Metalcraft is also not reminder text.

The same way that the "dies" wording paved the way for Morbid, I'm expecting some mechanic in Kaladesh that cares about "creating" tokens. Cutting down on the space it takes to write out "If a token was put onto the battlefield under your control this turn" to something like "If you created a token this turn" gives them more room for a complex effect to come from the trigger.

I mean, technically they could have printed Morbid even without "dies", it just would've taken up more space on the card and read lcunkier.

But yeah, trimming down to "create" is just 100% gas; it makes the cards read smoother, it's more flavorful, it saves space which might let them make a card more complex, and it POSSIBLY opens up design space for other things.

That's not what design space means.

Could "create" being something that's unique to Kaladesh? It would make sense within the themes of this set but not necessarily outside of it.

Didn't WotC say that any future cards that poop out a token are going to say "create a token" instead of "put a token"?

>Could "create" being something that's unique to Kaladesh?

No.

>Surprised they did not use metalcraft again

The past couple state of design blogs they've done Maro's stated that one of the problems of recent sets has just been the flood of keyword abilities they've put on cards, so they probably wouldn't bring it back unnecessarily.

>inventions/artifact themed set

Fingers crossed.

That has denied incredibly hard, it is not in this block.

>Dwarves are back
>IN WHITE

Oh yeah

The dwarves key art looks sick

Wizard pls

This is fucking awesome

>podracing confirmed
10/10 best set ever printed

Mistform Ultimus now a Vehicle =[

I'm glad we finally have Vehicles but honestly? I think Crew really sucks as the Equip equivalent.

Hmm. I wonder if this is Mechanic E for "Energy"?

It's not. Vehicle is an Artifact type, like Equipment, not a creature type.

Yes, they said it on stage

Neat.

Not sure I see this doing much in Eternal formats other than EDH, but still neat.

>you can crew Vehicles with other Vehicles

And I'll form the head!

We know exactly what kind of cards will be Planeswalker precon exclusives and none are rare lands. I'm stumped as to why its there though.

You have to tap a creature, and it's not a creature until a creature has been tapped for it.

That's one sexy male dwarf.

You could fry bacon on those chocolate abs.

Yeah, but you tape a power 1 creature for the podracer, and then the podracer taps for 6 so it should be able to crew damn near anything.

>knew that Rai was gonna be UR from the start
>was hoping Modern Grixis was finally gonna get its Jund equivalent of LotV
>instead get jank

I dunno, she seems pretty potent for a 3 mana walker.

scry 1, 1damage to the opponent and +1 loyalty couldn't be any stronger without being busted

>scry 1
Scry is really underrated sometimes. Even just a few scry cards in some formats can smooth your draws out for the entire game. attach it to the +1 of a 3 mana walker and I'm already on board before even looking at the other abilities or even the rest of the first.

>give a spider legend and I will never ask for anything else
>give a werewolf legend and I will never ask for anything else

She seems like she'd maybe be decent in Grixis Delver

+1 to help burn and smooth your draws (help your delver flip too maybe)

-2 to swing with an addition delver or delve creature

Really wish the +1 could target creatures but then she'd probably be too good

It's the next big modern walker, you heard it here first.
She'll be played as a 4 of, Nahiri will be a 3 or 2 of, and they'll fetch Blighsteel instead of Emrakul.

;_;

I mean, atleast it's not yet another "+1 draw a card, -2 kill a creature" walker.

She seems fairly weak, certainly weaker and more restrictive than Liliana, but atleast she feels unique.

Delver is already at a low point right now, having to play a 3 mana do nothing to make it flip is atrociously bad.

She won't see modern play, atleast not for the basic abilties. However, should some Johnny find an instakill combo for her ult, then we might just have Nahiri0.8 here.

In Vintage there's the easy, obvious instant win: Vault + Key + lol whatever.

In Legacy you can instantly win if you have 3 or more artifacts in hand: Metalworker + Lightning Greaves + Staff of Domination.

In Modern you have to do the "lazy" Legacy kill I think in most shells: Blightsteel Colossus + Lightning Greaves + Spine of Ish Sah probably to clear the way.

If you have 5 mana and you're playing Grixis Tezz or something (which I think is the best shell for her in Modern anyway), you can do: Thopter Foundry + Sword of the Meek + Time Sieve for the poor man's Vault Key.

>Vintage
>Legacy
user pls, she's not even very likely to see modern play.

That's not how format power level works.

She'll probably see Vintage play for the same reason Dack did: copying an artifact is a lot better when your artifacts are Lotuses, Moxen, Sol Rings, and Time Vaults, copying a creature with haste is a lot better when that creature is a Goblin Welder getting back Lotuses, Moxen, Sol Rings, and Time Vaults, and 3 mana is a lot less when you play all the aforementioned busted acceleration. Also in Vintage planeswalkers live a lot longer because way less creatures.

Legacy is similar: UR painter with Welder and Snapcaster is something I can see. And once again, less creatures, easier to keep her alive.

All she is is a copy with haste for 3 mana that goes nuts if your opponent doesn't devote resources to kill her. The first ability is not relevant, it'd be the same if it was +1: Do nothing.

>no Seb McKinnon art yet

I'm going to be really angry if he did no art for this set

Pic related has zero chance of seeing modern play and is vintage playable.

I know. That's why you say "Give me a good legend and I will never ask for anything else." Then you can always complain.

I know how format power levels work, and what you've said in the first part of your reply might be true, but you're missing the power-level aspect.

Baby Jace, and Dack Fayden are the only 2 planeswalkers seeing actual play in Vintage.

Both help you loot through your deck, and have a very respectable -X ability. Dack can actually steal moxen, while Baby Jayce allows you to flashback your ancestrals and whatnot.

Saheeli doesn't actually do anything with her first two abilites. I mean, what exactly would you want to copy for a single turn with ther -2 in Vintage?`
Is that really worth the cost of running her?
Sure you can pitch her to Misdirection and FoW, but 3 mana is actually a lot in Vintage, and you never want to tap out or wait 5 turns for her to ulti.

That's great, but ultimatively irrelevant to the discussion. I didn't say that "all cards that don't see modern play have no chance in vintage", I said that her power level is maybe, MAYBE, modern-tier. But even then, only because of her ult.

>The first ability is not relevant, it'd be the same if it was +1: Do nothing.

Doesn't it hurt other Dack Faydens and trans-Baby Jaces through the redirect-damage-to-planeswalker rule?

99% sure it's not legal in Modern.

He has zero chance of seeing modern play because he isn't modern legal you fucking retard.

Saheeli Wheely-Rye seems like she could see fringe modern play due to her -2 being able to duplicate cards like Snap or Resto Angel. Jeskai midrange/tempo perhaps?

>Metalworker + Lightning Greaves + Staff of Domination.
>Shroud
>Untap target creature

I wish they would just fucking make them already so everyone would shut up about them.

Baby Jace sees less play than JtMS.

Ohh yeah right, I forgot about JtMS.
Sowwy :3

>ruining daretti with filthy black mana
>He doesn't even get to go to the cool artifact plane
Fucking Jace never goes to his home plane(s), poor Daretti never leaves his.

Jace is thankfully stuck on Ravnica being whipped by Lavinia to do paperwork.

I want to see Jace get literally tied up and whipped by Lavinia.

>Not wanting to tie up Jace yourself and whipping him
Cück

>getting cucked by a girl

WE F-ZERO NOW