Dice Mechanics General

Post your favorite Dice Mechanics.

About a day ago somebody made a thread about a system using 1d10-1d10 as a core mechanic. The idea was to have a Red and a Blue d10, or a Ten's and a One's d10, designating one to always be subtracted than another. The result is a dice roll that scales between -9 and 9, and tends towards lower rather than higher numbers, like so: anydice.com/program/9421

It actually lends itself to some interesting mechanics, such as having abilities where you switch the Red and Blue dice as a form of Advantage. Rolls are a self-evident scale of success/failure on a scale between 0 and 9/-9, and bonuses both mitigate this scale of failure and increase the degree of success. Overall it's quite interesting

Other urls found in this thread:

anydice.com/program/926e
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Bump of interest.

1d10-1d10 is exactly equivalent to 2d10-11. The ability to switch red and blue is the same as just taking the absolute value.

My favorite in roll 3d20, pick the middle one.

This. Switching the dice means you'll always have a positive number. For a system where you get a positive only half the time usually, that's very powerful.

Fudge is love, fudge is life.

My preference is for rolling under a TN on 1d20.

• Linear distribution, so the meaning of the target number is immediately intuitive (this isn't the case with multiple dice)
• Roll under a TN is mentally "faster" than roll a die, add a modifier, beat a TN
• d20 is optimally granular: d% is an unnecessary level of detail, and smaller dice are fine for one-shot rules-lite games but otherwise don't really have enough room for growth in a campaign

I've got a soft spot for XdYkZ, but then again I'm the sort of monster who actually enjoys Dungeons: The Dragoning.

I like (and employ in my game) the dual-ascending dice of Ryuutama. Really simple and easy to grasp. Your stat is represented by a dice size rather than by a hard number. I like the idea that even though the die size gets larger, there's always a chance to roll 1.

Using some simple modifiers with that against TN of ~4-24 is pretty good.

Does require some sets of dice though (My system has 10 attributes).

Why not just roll 10 fudge dice?

Anyway, are there any games where you roll XF drop Y lowest?

That is, a game where you roll X number of fudge dice, and drop up to Y minuses.
Your maximum result rises in proportion to X while minimum result rises in inverse proportion, but Y then raises your minimum result without affecting your maximum result.
A modifier would raise both minimum and maximum results while a penalty would lower both minimum and maximum results.
You could also drop Z highest to lower the maximum result without lowering the minimum result.
Seems like it would be a good way to handle damage.

True, but it's a Tactile thing. 1d10-1d10 + bonus is a lot easier to do than 2d10-11+bonus.

Also, the concept would be a more rare version of Bennies, Advantage, DM Inspiration, or whatever else this system would use.

>Why not just roll 10 fudge dice?
Not OP, but that's a reaaaally fucking sharp bell curve

>Why not just roll 10 fudge dice?

Because the 2 games I play don't use them, so I never bothered to learn what they are.

Because the goal is a simple skill resolution, not a fucking shit-show.

>Anyway, are there any games where you roll XF drop Y lowest?
Pretty sure it's just roll-and-keep

3d20 as expanded 3d6 or 3d20 in retarded Polish version, where you pick 2 out of 3 dice and compare their outcome to see if it's lower than checked stat/skill?

Anything that is d6 based.
When I was teen, there was no gaming shop around, so the game either could run on standard dice taken from other board games, or it couldn't run at all

Percentiles are my favorite and that will never change.

This. What I want to know is why we homebrew nearly every system to be a d10 dicepool system? Why not d6 dicepool, which is easier to get dice for, or use quite literally any other system besides dicepool? It just seems like there's a sacrifice of convenience and entertaining dice rolls in favor of the boring, simple yet versatile dicepool. It's a cop out from actually putting effort in designing a system.

Yeah, Virt was right, Most of Veeky Forums's homebrews are shit, mostly due to system flaws over the actual concept. Hats off to OP for getting us started on something resembling a fix. Here's to hoping for more System/Dice Mechanics Threads.

For me it's especially jarring, given how easy it is to get nice bell curves with 3d6. And yet homebrews run on special dice almost uniformly

Fuck 3d6
Middle 3d12 master race
No math, super fast

>No Math
>Using any other dice than standard one
K

>Implying everyone doesn't have a fucking drawer full of unused d12's at this point

It's not like all those d20's people bought were sold seperately

Don't Look Back: Terror is Never Far Behind

This game's resolution mechanic works like this: positive and negative modifiers to one's action are added together. These modifiers tend to be small, so the final result will generally be in the -5 to +5 range. The player then rolls a number of dice equal to three plus the absolute value of the modifier. If the modifier was positive, the highest three dice are counted; if it was negative, the lowest three dice.

But what about normal people who don't buy new set of dice every month?

>If the modifier was positive, the highest three dice are counted; if it was negative, the lowest three dice.
It may sounds good, but switch between highest three to neutral to lowest three does cause big difference in probabilities. Too big for my liking.

You could also roll a positive and negative die and take whichever one has the lower face value. So if you roll +7 and -2, the result would be -2. This will give you the exact same probability curve as 1d10-1d10.

Using only one dice is always the best option, there no exceptions.
Like stated it is the easiest, fastest and most intuative system.
But the main point is that it has no downside compared to using multiple dice, as you can achieve the exact same effect of getting a more normalized distribution that you would get from using multiple dice by merely adjusting the DC instead. Your DCs being normally distributed and your dice being linear is exactlly equivalent to your DCs being linear and your dice being normally distributed. However the first option is, as stated above, a lot simpler

>Fuck 3d6
>Middle 3d12 master race
>No math, super fast

3d6 exist for a reason

The d6 part is because d6 is easy to find
The reason you use 3 dices instead of just one is because just one dice give a small range of results (just 3)
The reason of using 3d6 in this way, instead of using it like a base 6 thing, its because many would think its too complex.

So It exist for those reasons not because "holy fuck 3d6 is the best system ever lets use it!!!!!!!!! NOw"

>small range of results (just 3)
An typo change that to
small range of results (just 6)

What the fuck is that graph, what does the y-axis represent? Why isn't it more like

Y is probability to roll X or more. Do you really never saw graphs like this?

My homebrew uses 3D6, for many reasons already listed. Plus the fact that the bell curve makes it easy to predict where the average rolls are going to be, and the fact that the average roll is approximately 10. I like it because it does everything (that I need it to) well, and nothing (that I need it to) badly.

anydice.com/program/926e
>the more fudge dice you roll the less likely the result is to be zero
Why is probability so unintuitive?

IMO the chief concern when designing a dice mechanic is where do you want it on the scale of
1) quick and simple to do
2) complex so that other mechanics can it change up

Things like range, mean and deviation are pretty much non-issues since you can make those whatever you want, though foolish choices of dice can slow it down at the table because even basic arithmetic DOES slow games down.

I think fudge dice and 3d6 are a great example of 1) . Stuff like middle 3d10 is a good example for 2), where you can have circumstances in which you take the top or bottom instead of the middle. Dice pools are 2) taken too far, imo, as their variance is huge and they often have too many rules affecting how many dice you get and what they do.

Has anyone come up with a method of pulling off the FFG Star Wars Threat/Advantage mechanic in a numerical dice system? I love the way this works, because it changes the simple Pass/Fail mechanism from being a simple line, and changes it to be an XY graph, creating a system that introduces Narrative into everything.

I've always had a soft spot for 2d6 or 2d10 systems. 2d10 is what my homebrew uses.
3d6 is just a bit too bellcurved for me. I know 2d10 is more a bell pyramid but it gives more average results without removing the chance of extreme rolls as much as a 3d6 does.

Uh... have you never been to a gaming store?
People absolutely buy individual or bulk amounts of d20s.

Why roll 2 dice when you could roll 10?
I have no idea.

Legends of the Wulin has one of my favourite dice systems, it's a really interesting way of doing things which manages things I've not really see any other system accomplish.

LotW uses a mostly static dicepool, 7d10 for base rank characters, with a few abilities that let you increase it or force you to decrease it, but generally you always roll the same number of dice.

What's interesting is how you read the pool. LotW looks for sets of dice- Multiple die showing the same number. A set has a value of ten per die in the set, plus the value on the die. So one seven is 17, two sixes are 26, three fours are 34 etc.

The really cool thing about this? It means that on most rolls you have multiple sets, and the system actually lets you make use of that, Single die sets are more limited, but you can take as many actions as you have multiple die sets, in combat or out of it, which creates a really unique dynamic I've never seen elsewhere.