MTG LEGACY GENERAL - Not Your Mom's Format Edition

You think you know Legacy? Think again.

>Playing?
>Extra deck?
>Silver bullets for the local meta?
>Which do you think is stronger and why: Eldrazi or Miracles?

RESOURCES
>Active Legacy Forums
mtgthesource.com/forums/forum.php
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/legacy-type-1-5

>Current Legacy Metagame
mtgtop8.com/format?f=LE
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/legacy

READINGS
>Top 5 Breakdown (May 26, 2016)
channelfireball.com/articles/the-top-5-legacy-decks/

>Miracles: The Match-Up Everyone Should Know
channelfireball.com/articles/how-to-defeat-miracles/

>Utilizing Cabal Therapy
channelfireball.com/home/legacy-weapon-therapy-session/

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1J73oDOSYGHwLdQObJ6vqV5e4CYC-H4QVebrm_TZW2Qc/edit?usp=sharing
magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/legacychamp15/expecting-unexpected-2015-08-22
mtgtop8.com/event?e=13393&d=278547&f=LE
mtgvault.com/steve2112rush/decks/recruiter-gobs/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Common Legacy - Decks You Should Prepare to Face
>Miracles
>Delver variants
>ANT (Ad Nauseam Tendrils)
>Death and Taxes
>Eldrazi Stompy
>Shardless BUG
>Lands

Uncommon Legacy - Decks You Should Know About
>LED Dredge
>Reanimator
>Infect
>Stoneblade
>Burn
>TES (The Epic Storm)
>Elves
>Painter
>MUD
>Maverick
>4-Color Loam
>Nic Fit
>Sneak n Show

Rare Legacy - Decks You May See On Occasion
>Enchantress
>MUD
>Dragon Stompy
>Goblins
>Merfolk
>High Tide
>Aluren
>Food Chain
>12 Post
>Belcher
>Blood Moon Stompy
>Tezzerator
>Sneak n Breach

Mythic Legacy - Decks You'll See Once a Year
>Doomsday Fetchland Tendrils
>Cheerios
>Sea Stompy
>Nourshing Lich
>Spanish Inquisition

>Playing
Sneak Show
>Extra deck
Considering building MUD or Eldrazi or the mashup of Eldrazi and D&T Ive been seeing pop up a bit.
>Silver bullets
I don't participate in my local meta enough to get cute with my sideboard yet.
>Eldrazi or Miracles
Eldrazi because fuck Miracles. Also Chalice and Cavern of Souls are pretty good against it.

playing loam pox

no money for an extra deck, although I could convert into lands with not too much trouble I guess

hows a single necroplasm to entomb for as a spicy silver bullet? I like it against pyromancer/mentor/empty/other things that go too wide for me

>Playing
>>Sneak 'n' Show
I really need to build this deck

It was the first and only Legacy deck I wanted to build, at least until DTT was banned and the deck was no longer mono-blue drawstuff.

Sneak Attack just doesn't do it for me.

I love me some Sneak Attack though. I don't even care about the extra turn trigger on Emrakul, I just want to blow up 6 permanents on a swing and then draw 7 cards off G-Daddy. It's Johnnytown mixed with Spike City and I love it

I used to think I was a Spike for the longest time, but then I picked up Narset EDH and I've been a Johnny ever since. Combo City is the only place I want to live.

I like it. Though the main reason Im playing it is that I came back to Magic and just happened to own alot of the money cards for it from my old collection. Not having to aquire Volcanic/Sneak/Show/couple FoW was incentive plus its a good deck.

Im changing one of my EDH decks to include a Doomsday package. I enjoy Combo City also.

>tfw your deck is Ghost Rare

>parfait
Not anymore it's not. I'll put this under... Mythic Legacy?

I have more money than sense and I would enjoy playing eternal formats. Trouble is, I live in the middle of fucking nowhere Minnesota and would never find anyone who wants to play Magic.

So down to my probably stupid question: How much would a solid eternal deck cost on Magic Online?

You can build Vintage MUD (a $15,000 deck) for 700 tix on MTGO. Legacy decks can be far cheaper online, though really dumb shit costs obscene amounts of tix. Like, you can buy a Polluted Delta for like 5 tix, but there are lesser used staples that cost 50 or more.

>mfw I play a deck with four lilianas and four ports

how has liliana cost so much online for like her entire existence, IIRC she was a 90 dollar card online when she was like 30 in paper

That sounds about right.

Having tested both SI and Parfait on Xmage I can tell you I won a lot more matches with Parfait.

Because shes amazing and played in multiples in multiple formats, printed 5 years ago. The jew is strong in this one.

Also spending money on anything but pauper online is terrible as long as Wizards continues to barely support its circa 1998 client.

>700 tix
I honestly don't know how much tix are worth. It's a weird system to me, for someone who's been in paper for so long. I welcome it, I just have no idea what I'm actually going towards

one dollar=one ticket

I'm talking about from the beginning, she cost twice as much online as she did in paper for a long time

Miracles is waaaayyyy better than eldrazi. Honestly a good miracles pilot will go 45-55 against eldrazi. It far from unwinnable as some people preach. Eldrazi is fine, I don't think it's going anywhere anytime soon but I also don't think it's going to be some super big boogeyman forever. Miracles is probably better overall and has better matchups across the board in all honesty

>Playing?
Manaless Dredge
>Extra deck?
Not an extra legacy deck, I'm too poor. My next deck if any will be LED Dredge
None, unless you count a 1of Progenitus for the SnT matchup
Miracles. I have a worse matchup with Eldrazi, but Miracles is better.

Made a link for organizing the time of a potential tourney.
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1J73oDOSYGHwLdQObJ6vqV5e4CYC-H4QVebrm_TZW2Qc/edit?usp=sharing
The idea is for everyone to put times where they would be OK with an 8-man STARTING at that time. For instance, I'm actually free from (approx) 8-AM to 11-AM on MON/WED but the tournament couldn't start at 10 (it might be able to start at 9 but it could be a strain) or I'd have to leave by the end of it, so the only time I put down was 8 as that was the only time it could start.
To indicate that you're free a certain time just add a comma and some mark specific to you. Once 8 people intersect on a time we can set a tourney to start then.
REMEMBER TO ADJUST FOR TIME ZONES. The organizer is on central time.
Put times whenever you're free, if someone is left out then that person won't go, no big deal.

>Want good Lilianas
>£100 per
>Want MPR Wastes
>£150 per

I can't really justify this.

I know that feel man. I usually wait till I head to a convention or a bigger games store and just trade for cards there.

The thing is, i've bought a Moat and a Tabernacle and playsets of all the Revised Duals in the past, so really this shouldn't be too bad.

But 600 quid for foil wastes (when i've got Tempest ones already) just scares me.

Yeah, I don't think I could do that until after I win a lottery or 2

>Playing
Currently looking into a white Stax deck. Not sure if I prefer white over black. Old Thalia is strong. New Thalia not so much. Feels like a washed out mix of Stax and D&T, and I think a straight up D&T deck would be strictly better than White Stax.
I've been playing against Pox decks, and I feel like Pox is Stax's cousin. I consider testing Pox to see if I prefer it over black Stax. I'll miss Braids...

>Paying for digital cardboard
>2016
You can play magic online for free on Xmage and Cockatrice. Cockatrice is freestyle magic whereas Xmage has a forced rules enforcement, including passing priority. Opinions differ.

An argument for Xmage: I've often played cards that I didn't understand perfectly, and the client corrected me. Yesterday an opponent played a morph creature while I had chalice on 0. Chalice countered the morph, to the surprise of both. I've found that if you want to take a deck to Competitive Rules Enforcement Level (f.ex. Grand Prix), having experience piloting the deck on Xmage or Magic Online helps tremendously.

>tfw 3 threads and Stax is still ignored

>49140913
Not so fast, I read the thread after it had closed, ha ha ha!

>Mythic Legacy - Decks You'll See Once a Year
>Nourshing Lich

ayyy

Speaking of mythic rare decks - check out the goblin prison deck at the bottom of the article...
magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/legacychamp15/expecting-unexpected-2015-08-22

can someone explain to me why flash and goblin recruiter are banned?

Goblin recruiter is probably too good for the gobo decks. It might make them tier 2 or even 1 and wizards doesn't want it for some reason. The card is insane, there's no denying that but it might be busted in an actual goblins list. I've never played goblins, only against it, and I sure as hell don't want to see a recruiter. And as for flash... I think that should be self explanatory

Post your list? I just put together this Pox list and gave it a run against some DDFT guy on Xmage, and it wasn't impressive..

Can we add Kavu Cure in there?

>can someone explain to me why flash and goblin recruiter are banned?

Go read the card Protean Hulk.

It's pretty easy to win T1 with Flash and Protean Hulk, depending on the build T0 wins were even possible.

Recruiter is a beast, but I think it's mostly banned because it fixes your draws a bit too much and negates the randomness that's deemed a big aspect of the game. All the good tutors are pretty much banned in Legacy. If it specified a fixed number instead of any number, I think it would've been fine for Wizards.

One of the locals where I live tested Recruiter for a while (the people at the weekly proxy events let him test it) and it was still worse than RW Taxes with Imperial Recruiter

thanks for the answer. i thought flash would use emrakul or something, but comboing with hulk makes sense

I went to my first legacy game last night and ended up going 3 - 1, it was epic. I had more fun playing magic that night than I have had in years.

You should add a Sire of Insanity. It's my favorite.

What's your list look like? I posted mine in the last thread, and it seems a little different to most. I'd love to compare notes.

no collective brutality?

I was thinking of building either Jeskai Delver something like mtgtop8.com/event?e=13393&d=278547&f=LE

I like the Wear / Tear and already have half the deck

or I was thinking of making reanimator with small pox and collective brutality

any thoughts?

We almost had enough people for Legacy to fire last night, but we ended up being one person short. Oh well, that's why I have my Modern decks.

>One of the locals where I live tested Recruiter for a while (the people at the weekly proxy events let him test it) and it was still worse than RW Taxes with Imperial Recruiter
I've been playing around with recruiter for a while and I'm having a bit more success with it (still doesn't seem broken).
I've found (and I know that this will sound ridiculous at first) that you should cut all of your goblin lackeys. Something else I've found out is that you don't actually need foodchain to combo off really (although it makes you like a half of a turn faster) so you don't actually need any green splash. You can just chain Mogg war marshals and ringleaders with skirk prospector and goblin warchiefs until you cast krenko and any number of sharpshooters/seige gangs.
You only need 3 mana post ringleader to get a kill (through direct damage), and that's including any vials and any other goblins (fodder for the prospector).
Do you have the guy's list?

I think I'm just going to keep my deck as-is for now.

I can probably find it. There's a Facebook group called Legacy Goblins, he posted in there.

Here's his Recruiter list, he doesnt think the Food Chain is good enough, but would consider putting them in the board to race combo decks

mtgvault.com/steve2112rush/decks/recruiter-gobs/

>magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/legacychamp15/expecting-unexpected-2015-08-22

>Goblin Prison

S P I C Y
P
I
C
Y

that's just the goblin version of dragon stompy, one of its most common variants. not a deck you see much, but it's not mythic rare tier.

Vendilion Clique and Karakas are pretty sweet together, especially against combo. Also, Meddling Mage is a wonderful card. It's an answer and a threat, and it can be pitched to Force of Will.

I think Blood Moon Stompy under Rare decks sort of covers your Dragon/Goblin/Werewolf Stompy Variants. What creature they attack with usually isn't that important. Although Goblin (Moggcatcher) Stompy operates a little differently from the other decks because of Moggcatcher.
DDFT is a hard matchup for Pox. Chains is your only really devastating card against them since DDFT fights discard better than any other combo deck.

>mtgvault.com/steve2112rush/decks/recruiter-gobs/
Thanks.
Hard to imagine that deck ever beating a competent ANT player, but maybe my version is set up against combo too much.
Pic related is what I'm testing now. Trying a version with cabal therapies. It feels downright uncanny playing them without probes after playing storm/zombardment for so long.
After trying his version for a bit I don't really like it, feels too dependent on getting a critical mass rather than either 'going off' or grinding through.

Why D-day for Modern?

Just lost round 2 of my League with Nourishing Lich against ANT. Punted g1 when I misclicked and put a Lich on top of my library with a Brainstorm, giving my opponent the extra turn they needed to kill me. I won game 2 by flusterstorming their Past in Flames after they cracked an LED, and then Relic'd their whole graveyard and they scooped with no cards in hand and a basic swamp. Game 3 they outraced me and hit a storm of 20 to beat me even though I Nourished up to 35 life.

Doesn't sound too bad, shame about G1

What did your sideboard look like btw?

>playing
Burn
>Extra deck
A guy can dream i guess in the future i might get Lands
>Silver Bullets?
Sudden Shock in SB to help with the bad Infect Matchup
>Miracles or Eldrazi?
Miracles but that might be just because i have such a good Eldrazi matchup. Ancient Tombs and PoP help me.

Also who here has any /pimp/ cards?
Post your absolute favorite or most expensive cards
For my Legacy burn deck i have a foil Arid Mesa and three foil Zendikar Goblin Guides soon to be the full playset and I recently picked up two foil Scourge Sulfuric Vortexes

>Also who here has any /pimp/ cards?

English Tabernacle/Moat
Playsets of the Duals
all-foil Pauper Burn deck if that counts.

>Playing?
blazing wish
>Extra deck?
the last few cards I needed for turbo depths came in the mail today. In excited to start taking it to events.
I don't really have a local meta. sometimes people show up, but it's hard to predict. a slightly spicy thing I can do is transmute middle the mixture for null rod.
I think miracles is stronger because I think it has more people who are adept at piloting it, both because tag been around longer and because it has a higher skill cap. it's more versatile.

I don't know, it's not a meme I made myself.

I like it though. It's imitates the feeling I get when I play Modern, Legacy, etc.

I think Scalding Tarn is the most I've ever spent on one single card, and even then I got it via trading.

Had me a foil Baleful Strix once too, but I sold that. I've yet to own a single dual land.

I have a few. This pic is old but that doesn't excuse the ultrapro.

Not near my deck but I got an expedition flooded strand and damn man I can't wait to get me some more

Dang thats impressive. I was always shocked about just how expensive Moat was. The duals are also impressive even though the two other Legacy decks id want to play require either no duals or very few.
Eventually i hope to replace my Khans fetches with foil Onslaught Wooded Foothills and foil Scalding Tarns

The capcha demanded I select all the pies. One of those was a pile of pancakes. I wonder about the capcha sometimes.

Oh wait, I did get an Expedition Mana Confluence. The shop near me has an Expedition Strip Mine I really want but the sucker is almost $75.

Nice tabernacle. Also i like the original foil Batterskull so much more then the GP promo that looks extremely ugly and phallic.
Judge sword? I really wish they never moved away from that artifact border. Brown just seems to suit them better.

>The duals are also impressive even though the two other Legacy decks id want to play require either no duals or very few.

i just like the idea of being able to play virtually any deck at a moment's notice.

being a collector is hard.

Oh I guess I should also mention I have 542 Firedrinker satyrs, no I'm not kidding. 500 of them are currently shipping and I can't wait I'm so excited for them

I totally agree. The original boarder made them feel old and mysterious. Like I had to go questing to dig it up or something.

I've already posted this once before. I'm particularly pleased with Duress and Tendrils. Beautiful foiling.

>500
Are you orchestrating a buyout? Should I get now while the getting's cheap??

I haven't got anything particularly expensive, but here are my favorite EDH foils. I picked up the foil greater Good at a flea market for ~$8 where it was sleeved and in a top loader so it wasn't really clear it was foil unless you knew that 9th foils have black borders.

god damn

Dang for the longest time I thought that the entire Urza's block didnt have foils s o i have two regular Yawgs bargains. I might just pick up a foil one. Probably will never play Vintage though

Foiling started during Urza's Legacy, but the Promo card for Urza's Saga was foil.

The old border was so much better. The foils especially just have such a nice look to them. Modern border wasnt bad. New border is soulless cancer and I try avoid using it at all costs. Thats why i must replace the Khans fetches in Burn with Foil Onslaught Foothills and Scalding Tarns.

Yeah i realized that too late unfortunately
How are those FNM Fireblasts? I have the Visions ones.
I also am kinda picky about the edition ofcards i use like i refuse to use any MMA cards just because the print run especially the foils are so bad looking and i had the Fire and Lightning Chain Lightnings but they were too curled to actually take to a tournament so i sold them and got EMA ones once they dropped. One of the very few cards ill use a reprint edition for because i just dont like the Legends art.

>How are those FNM Fireblasts? I have the Visions ones.

I like them.

I'd have loved to get Judge Lightning Bolts instead of the Duel Deck version, but it was 150 quid per versus 15 quid per.

>those Judge Sinkholes
Jesus man my collection just cant compare. You basically have the ability to play any Legacy deck and a pimped version at that. I do have Modern Scapeshift and its somewhat pimped with Arena Serum Visions and FNM Remands. No pictures with me atm.

Ah, if only...

I've been playing since 2000, and generally have more money than sense when it comes to MTG.

I don't have any foils or anything,
but these are my pride and joy, mostly because they took so goddamn long to do.

>not enough sense to get a nice binder for displaying playsets

Story checks out.

I can accept white border when done like this. Well done.

>custom white-border Glistener Elf
Patrician taste, my dude. It's almost as beautiful as 9ED Sleight of Hand.

Yeah. Ive only been playing competitively since a little before BfZ so about a year
Before that it was just occasional booster drafts and shitty decks you made out of the cards you'd get over time during high school but that was a long time ago.

thanks, anons. I find it acts as a salt multiplier for people who already don't like playing against infect. for a while I was playing with one that was half done because my arm got tired in the middle of it and I couldn't be arsed to finish the thing.

The binders never leave my house, and I don't trade anything.

God moat is such a classic card. The art, the effect, the flavor text are all classic and the actual power of the card is really high.

Shh, do you hear that? It's your dope-ass collection begging to be displayed with love and care...

>playset of Tolarian Academy
Please consider donating to the "I Want That Card" Charity. Only you can slake a poorfag's hunger.

The sideboard is kind of a mishmash. Similar to some other storm sideboards, with some random trash I had thrown in. Something like this:
4 abrupt decay
2 xantid swarm
2 flusterstorm
2 pithing needle
2 relic of progenitus
1 drown in sorrow
2 disfigure

Well, how did the League go? Did you get top place or did Lich brick ultra hard?

Haven't finished it yet. 1-1 so far.

ganbatte, Lich-chan

arigato, user-kun

Perhaps I am... thats for the market to find out. Let's just say if I came around a couple thousand dollars, it's not going toward my schooling

At this point he basically has given up trying to fight the 3-4 storm decks in our meta, and just crosses his fingers he gets fair matchups.
Worked out pretty well last Sunday

3-4 combo decks*

I can't tell if anyone but me can read the text.

Eh, what the hell. Have a bump anyways.

The text is illegible, but I know it's supposed to say [spoons rattling].