40k general

Playing CSM Stage 5: Acceptance Edition

>Rules databases
mega.nz/#F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg

>FAQ’s and Errata (outdated but official)
games-workshop.com/en-GB/Rules-Errata

>40k 7th edition quick reference sheet(s).
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4104995/Games/7edRef.pdf

>Forgeworld Book index
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Forge_World_and_Apocalypse_Rules_Index

> The Black Library
mega.nz/#F!wx4BiKhD!YhnAf1BqSmAB8dO6xDM56Q!c4pGAJDb

Melee upgrades are overcosted sub-edition

Other urls found in this thread:

forgeworld.co.uk/resources/PDF/Datasheets/Primus_Redoubt.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=P-1-PQRbD28
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Don't you wish you had an LoW fortification with AV15?

First for plausible deniability.

FUCK!

A challenge worthy of my skills!

How do you feel about mini codexs? How many are there?

Is it attached to that board piece? How do you even place that thing in a game? How do you not get it blocked by any self-respecting terrain piece?

>assassins
could be rolled into inquisition
>scions
could also be rolled into inquisition
>inquisition
could be expanded slightly, maybe get some cross-faction formations with GK, SoB, DW, MT. Hell, all of those books could be combined into one mega-Inquisition book and probably be better off--GK and DW would keep Nemesis and Black Spear Strike Forces, respectively, and maybe SoB would get their own too. But the forces of the Inquisition should be able to work together in MSU from their different groupings.

>harlequins
could use buffs/expansion, but should remain their own book.

I'm ashamed of how accurately the General editions have followed my moods about traitors hate.

I'd like to play. Are Tyranids any good?

Nope.

pretty good, so long as the models are nice

most are designed to be taken as single detachments/have their own unique formations to slot in as allies. I would not be averse to more in the future.

It is attached to a Realm of Battle tile, yes.

It doesn't get blocked because it IS the terrain, user.

forgeworld.co.uk/resources/PDF/Datasheets/Primus_Redoubt.pdf

Oh. Are they utter shit? Like, I shouldn't ever play them, even in casual games?

>scions
>could also be rolled into inquisition

but the scions are in the Imperial Guard already.

As a coping mechanism for law school stress I took out all my old models and started working on them again. It's kinda nice, but I'm almost out of things to build and paint. I played IG in 5th Ed. I realize that nothing in my 2500 points is any good in the meta and I don't know what's changed in 2 editions. What should I buy next that's decent but also bad ass for imperial guard?

You can play whatever you want in a casual game. Depends on if you're a masochist or not.

What is your local meta? Im sure most of the things that worked in 5th would be just fine against a casual group.

When in doubt buy knights.

A Behnblade, of course. The one with the really big cannon and casemate, preferably.

Or an Imperial Knight of any variant.

From last thread

I'm worried by CSM and Daemons, two outdated books that need overhauls, just getting supplements when they should have whole new complete codexes

Anyone else concerned

Exactly, the whole separate scion army is already pointless. Guard armies should take them on their own, Inquisition armies should get BS 4 stormtroopers.

yes, but i could argue that the imperium could be split into normies(guard/scion/SoB/inquisition) and marines.

How many dreadnoughts is not enough dreadnoughts?

GKs, DW and SoB staying separate as full armies would still be fine, but I just think there's no reason to not have Inquisitorial Stormtroopers in the Inquisition book, so Scions should just be in there--or at least, their statline should be in there. The Air Assault and Ground Assault formation from their book could just be Guard formations, and then the actual "Militarum Tempestus" would just be Guard dudes again.

When I say "mix GK, DW and SoB into Inquisition," I mean allow them to be taken as small squads or individual models within an Inquisitors retinue, since that's a thing that happens fairly frequently anyway in fluff.

Zero
>Implying there's an enough number of dreadnoughts

On a scale of Decimation to Iron Within, how is this list?

2000pts

[Helfist Murderpack]

4xHelbrutes w/ Powerfist+Reaper Autocannon

Helbrute Champion w/ 2x Power Scourges+Aura of dark glory (Warlord)

2x [Mayhem Pack]

3x Helbrutes w/ Powerfist+Multimelta

[Daemon Engine Pack]

Warpsmith
2x Forgefiends w/ Hades Autocannons

[Daemon Engine Pack]

Warpsmith
2xMaulerfiends w/2x Lasher tendrils

Well it looks like all your actual marines got decimated.

And those Helbrutes are more flesh than iron. Fiends too.

would not hazard tape with/10

Eight. I have eight and I never even get to use them all. A Librarian, three Furioso, two Death company, one Contemptor, and one "Rifleman" Dreadnought.

I know that feeling.
All my dreadnoughts add up to over 2k points, I'll never field them all together plus techmarine and techomancy librarian support

I don't even know what stores in my area still do 40k or are open.

What's changed in 2 editions?

To be fair, I field them all with two Vindicators, a Baal, an Auto/Lascanon Pred, a Land Raider, and as many Drop Pods as I can afford all Unbound style whenever anyone will let me. Also, yeah, Technomancy on the Librarian Dreadnought is really, really good.

Adeptus Mechanicus becoming an army, Warhammer 30,000: The Horus Heresy, Chaos Space Marines, Orks, and Tyranids absolutely suck.

God-Machines.

Eldar and Tau went from 'suck shit' to 'OP as shit, flavour of the month, every month'.

Why are Chaos players always the dumbest people in these threads?

I was about to start law school when I picked up 40k.

I dropped out a week before class started because fuck that shit

We are the destroyer's agents on this plane.

Is this an aspect warrior shrine for ants?

Because they whine and bitch like little faggots.

You aren't the only ones with a worthless army.

How about you man up and face the fact that you're not going to get any callbacks from OCI? Start your mass-mailing now, because True Hell is graduating without a job lined up and student loans coming due while you watch as the people you knew from your section are starting to rake in dough selling their souls to whatever shitpile biglaw gig they've got locked down.

t. a public fucking defender who gazed into the abyss too long

The destroyer's agents never claimed to be large.

What's the best aspect warrior shrine? Which contributes most to the Eldar war machine?

Please note that the Fire Dragons are not a real aspect warrior shrine they are just a bunch of remedial cases that are allowed to pretend that they are real aspect warriors.

are we posting dawn of war

youtube.com/watch?v=P-1-PQRbD28
>the choom choom choom of storm boltguns

Say that to my face fucker not online and see what happens

Seriously though the Dire Avengers are the most numerous according to the lore and also definitely the most generic (their description in the dex is just, they're warriors and they're really good at it. something about tactics whatever)
But that's a boring answer so if I had it my way, Warp Spiders. Warp Spiders everywhere.

Dire avengers.

Working on a CSM overhaul atm, these are my initial ideas for Night Lords

Csm rework
Night Lords: - 1Ld (But an overall +LD for CSM, so it evens out , Raptors as Troops, Nostraman Chainglaive for Characters, Special Cult Units

Khorne berzerkers: ShadeMurderers Gain rending, cause LD check on assault target at - 2,if failed may not overwatch
Plague Marines: Nostraman Deathdealers, lose FnP and SAP, gain I4, Infiltrate, Poisoned Attacks (3+)
Noise Marines: Pillarscreechers, cause - 1 ld for every casualty caused with sonic weaponry, lose blastmaster

Special elite FA assault marines similar to Vanguard/Sanguine Guard

Okay sure, the Dire Avengers are the most numerous, and they are very good at what they do.

But don't they just duplicate the role of Guardians? The other shrines all seem to do something that Guardians don't do very well, but DIre Avengers just do the Guardians' things better than them.

Death Guard: MoN for everyone, Slow and purposeful, Fnp(6+) for infantry ,Power Scythe, Poisoned Round Mortar on Terminators, UC may buy Plague grenades, Daemons of Nurgle, Flamers may gain rending and gets hot, Plague Marines are troops, Access to expanded Nurgle lore.

Special Terminator Upgrade, General Retinue, WS 5(?) , 2W, Power Scythes on everyone

BTW relics for everyone but those will come later

all terminators should be WS/BS5 base, no point change

Word bearers:Units of different marks may join one another, units gain fearless and zealot if joined by a character. Possessed as Troops, General may take Mark of chaos undivided,all units may reroll chaos boons. Daemons may join units. May not take unmarked models.

For DG or just Terminators in general?

terminators in general

Deathguard getting expensive 2W deathshroud-like motherfuckers would be pretty neat. Or guys packing chem flamers.

>World Bearers
>Dedication to a single deity
What is this heresy?

I think if you're going to go fucking around with terminators' stats, the most obvious change would be bumping them up to T5 or W2.

I like the idea that some people have thrown around of making their storm bolters salvo 2/4, but the big difference between what termies once were and what they are now is just that they're too fragile, not that their firepower is too light.

>T5 or W2
I've said it before, but that just makes them shitty obliterators/centurions.

Better "skill" stats and making terminator armor better than a flat 2+/5++ is the way to go. Essentially just going closer to the days they had WS5/BS6/I5/3+ (2d6)

The idea is a cultural melting pot of different dedications. Since they're the army closest to Daemons and daemons have to be dedicated it makes more sense for them to have marks but be allowed to join one another regardless. Opens up a lot of combo space with minimal additional Bullshit design that is also unique. Khorne Juggerlord with Beasts of Nurgle or Slaanesh? Finally doable.

Termis need a buff, but buffing both Legions and termis at the same time might lead to too much of a change. Don't worry though, a general csm rework is coming alongside this.

>May not take unmarked models.
I don't think that is very good being forced to pay a mark for cultists would make playing them hard and as you might know Word Bearers are notable for heavy cultist use.

Where can we see your work when finished? I assume you will post it here but just in case I miss them.

This is true. I was thinking about giving Cultists marks for free, but I'm not sure how to properly implement that. Something along the lines of A demagogue would go a long way.

These are initial drafts, and nowhere near finalized.

Thanks for your feedback man.

I think PDF is the way to go, but this will take a heck of a long time. Main inspiration being Armiesproject from Fantasy, staying true to fluff and earlier editions while not making anything balls to the wall retarded when it comes to crunch.

>I've said it before, but that just makes them shitty obliterators/centurions.

Well, is that a real problem? They're still cheaper, and they have several advantages -- namely that they can ride around in land raiders and deep strike.

Also they don't look nearly as silly.

If you change their skill stats, the obvious question is why they have improved WS/BS but the other veteran units don't. Do the terminator suits help out on that?

Where are you planning on posting the pdfs?

>>why they have improved WS/BS but the other veteran units don't
Why not make all veterans WS/BS 5?

Initially just in here I guess, we'll have to see if it's popular enough to warrant a website.

>Well, is that a real problem?
yes? keeping units distinct from one another is important

>Do the terminator suits help out on that
Yes, actually. Those cameras on the shoulders are in-built targeters. In previous editions that translated into +1 BS when firing one weapon.

Terminators were effectively BS6, while regular veterans were only BS5.

Why not make all marines BS10?

I don't think CSM will get a new codex before the next edition drops. My guess is that Traitor's Hate is meant to tide us over until then.

Why take the blast master out? Literally the best thing I'm the white dex. Taking it out is dumb. You're dumb.

Terminators could be 1 W T 5 and have a mix of CC and ranged weapons.

Mutilators could remain 2 W T 4 have the uniqueness of having a large selection of melee weapons but no ranged.

Obliterators could remain 2 W T 4 have the uniqueness of having a large selection of ranged weapons but no melee.

Because that would not show the skill difference between a Captain and a Scout. Raising WS and BS by 1 for being elites choices is perfectly reasonable.

No they're going to squat Chaos next month. A red shirt told me as much. Traitor's Hate is all about Chaos's last stab at Terra during the 13th Black Crusade.

Then they all get defeated by the Ultramarine Honour Company and Roboute Gullyman wakes up and throws Abbadon back into the Eye of Terror before closing it up forever with his space powers.

Note* Obliterators obviously have a power fist, but their main role would be shooting vs a melee unit with a bit of fire support.

They're all the best at what they do.

>Scorpions stronkest and sneakiest
>Spiders are bravest
>Swoopity doopities are fastest
>Dragons are burniest
>Banshees are loudest
>Spears are stabbiest
>Reapers are best at noscopez

Only Spectres and Avengers missed the memo about picking a speciality.

Just for Night Lords. Essentially offering them cult troops with a Night Lord flavor, and those should be more up in your face. Don't worry though, Emperor's children havocs should gain access to blast masters.

>swoopity doopities

>What's the best aspect warrior shrine?
Dire Avengers

They're the aspect warriors which recognize the wisdom of Robute Guilliman, and try to lessen themselves of their sin of existence by emulating his teachings.

WS5 makes no sense for terminators. The last thing those fuckers exhibit is dexterity. They can barely turn around. Their problem isn't that they aren't choppy or tough enough (they have 2+/3++ and s10 access for fuck sakes), they're simply over priced.

>The last thing those fuckers exhibit is dexterity. They
who says weapon skill has anything to do with dexterity

it's experience and talent, things which space marine veterans have buckets of

>s10 access
with what?

>Dexterity=WS
So Necron Overlords are dexterous? Normal marines are not any more dexterous than normal humans, they know how to parry and hit where it hits and have the strength to parry and hit so that it hurts.
>S 10
Where? SM have nothing except vehicles with S 10.

Nevermind. Carry on then. My b. You're cool

>Talent has nothing to do with dexterity

Wearing oven mitts and not being able to sway or weave or flex will severely limit your ability to hit things.

>So Necron Overlords are dexterous?

Why wouldn't they be? They've never been depicted as clunky and clumsy, whereas Termies can barely move in Spess Hulk.

>Wearing oven mitts and not being able to sway or weave or flex will severely limit your ability to hit things.
And literally hundreds of years of training will make you pretty good at doing shit with difficult equipment.

>Necron Overlords have never been depicted as clunky and clumsy
Kinda have. The one defining trait of necrons is that they're slow as balls.

>Termis can barely move in Spess Hulk
Becaues they're huge, and space hulk corridors are small. But the terminator sergeant is capable of straight up out-fighting genestealers in hand-to-hand.

>but he only throws one die!
yeah it's almost like having four arms lets you attack more than just one

You realize other vets in the codex still have ws/bs4? Why would vets in clunky gear be more skilled than the less encumbered ones?

Also, reactions =/= dexterity. Lychguard/Overlords take a long time to react, but when they do it's often a laser accurate killing blow, hence why they roll well to hit, but have to tank hits before getting their attack .

Small corridors have nothing to do with it. Termies simply take a long time to move 180 degrees. That's a bit of a problem when you duel enemies that can flip straight over your head. Termie sergeants are in big trouble in CC against genestealers. They need to get lucky and are definitely nowhere near as skilled. 4 arms don't just let you hit more, they let you hit better. When one can catch both your punches and still gouge your eyes out then you see why one is ws6 and one isn't.

PisssSSTT!

..Kill Team update?

Termies in space hulk are slow because they fight Genestealers, how are super dooper fast. The rules don't bring up Initiative, stealers just go first.

Terminators are slow in general, hence Slow and Purposeful.

>termies
>SnP
Unless you're talking about cataphrachtii, which you're clearly not, then you clearly don't know the rules.

>You realize other vets in the codex still have ws/bs4?
You do realize those stats aren't set in stone and can be changed as well?

>Small corridors have nothing to do with it. Termies simply take a long time to move 180 degrees.
Because they're crammed into tiny rooms while wearing extremely bulky armor.

>4 arms don't just let you hit more, they let you hit better.
uh, no, literally speaking they throw out more attacks than the terminators, but aren't any more skilled. The only guy who can break a tie in melee is the sergeant, until you start going into expansion units.

>regular terminator armor conferring slow and purposeful

I fucking wish

>Expect nothing in Traitor's Hate
>still disappointed

Stage of playing CSM 6

they're not really that slow. I mean yeah they can't catch fleeing units, but they can still motor along 12"+ a turn, depending on run/charge/consolidation moves.

So half of marines should be ws/bs5 now? How about no? Unless you wanna start bumping up Necrons, Eldar, Deldar, Nids and Daemons who all have equally or more convincing claims to such a stat boost.

Being in an open space is irrelevant when your problem is being unable to 180 quickly. If you're that much of a clunky asshole it doesn't matter if you're in a swiss field or a japanese apartment. A 180 turn is a 180 turn in either context.

Hah fucking called it on the "new" psychic powers

Sinistrum --- Librarius
Heretech --- Technomancy
Ectomancy --- Fulmination
Geomortis --- Geokinesis

Wonder which of the powers are given drawbacks to differentiate them.

Help me out here guys.

They really are quite terrible, unfortunately. If you just like painting and building, they're a cool range of models.

Spectres are the spookiest
Avengers the tacticalest
(The grins the funniest)
The smiles the sunniest
Way back home..

>Genestealers aren't more skilled than Terminators

Oh fuck off now. Are you really arguing having 4 fucking arms doesn't mean you can land hits easier? If you have two arms and I lock my claws into your arms (because I'm also faster) what the fuck is your ass gonna do about my other two arms playing scratch and sniff with your brains? Nothing, that's what. Stealers justifiably have a higher WS and terminators are lucky to even get WS/I4 whilst being as agile and dextrous as a fucking Dalek.

>So half of marines should be ws/bs5 now?
>space marine terminators/veterans are half of their army
you're kind of dumb, bro

> Unless you wanna start bumping up Necrons, Eldar, Deldar, Nids and Daemons who all have equally or more convincing claims to such a stat boost.
Did you know that all eldar basic infantry got a boost to WS/BS4 somewhat recently. Defenders, Storm Guardians, Jetbikes, and all of their vehicles used to be WS/BS3.

The Guardian Scatter-Laser Eldar Jetbike shrine contributes most.

Terminators should just get veteran tactics