Maverick Hunter Quest, Thread 70: Diggy Diggy Hole

Prior Thread: suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/47954347/
Archive: suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Maverick Hunter Quest
The IRC: suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com, #MHQ
The Twitter: twitter.com/HunterCommand
The Recap (thanks to Scarab): pastebin.com/wMtuXJM2

You are maverick hunter Anode, and the party's over.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=v0wzA8qf6bU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Frog's goodbye came and went, and so did Frog. Just like that, your CO is gone.

It's bright and early the next day, your senses relatively clear for lack of intense drinking. India trudged off nursing a weary "hangover," and you're pretty sure Em got wasted, purged his systems, and left on a hunt again two hours before you were up.

You'd made up your mind to go after Sabomole next.

>Any business to take care of first?

Aww shit. It's happening. +5 sword of retardation supporters represent!

Now if only I remembered if we had any plans.

Fucking great seeing you again.

A shame I'll probably have to go to sleep soon for work, so chances are I'll be missing most of this thread.

Woo, ground floor of new thread!

>make sure a certain prisoner didn't fuck with your stuff in the night

Damn. There's always at least one.

2, actually. Since you start at 10pm over here....

>Send India a shortlist of whatever DNA/resources that would help with the plane. She can go over those later.

Woo, thread?

What happened with Seek Parrot?
>Ping Beret team, tell them to sober up for mole-hunting

We're taking the broken this time, yeah? We should probably get them up to speed on all we know and get a battle strategy set up before we beam in, might not have time otherwise.

Nothing as of yet.

>Ping the Bravely Broken.
>Assemble to discuss Sabomole strategy.
>Maybe a quick check just to see if Foxfire didn't mess with anything.

Welcome back, everyone.

Oh, shit, it's Cain Labs! Deploy the smooth jazz!

youtube.com/watch?v=v0wzA8qf6bU

You cannot stop me forever, you can only delay the inevitable...

Battle Prep with the Bravely Broken

>Get home form work to a new Maverick Hunter quest thread awwww yeah.
>Immediately have to go to bed so I can go back to work Such is life
Best of luck Hunters

For pre-mission preparation, I vote we play Whack-A-Mole.

this, basically.

After a cursory check-in to make sure a certain asshat fox didn’t touch anything of yours, you ping your squad. Unsurprisingly, Susan is the first to answer.

“Morning, sir. We doing this?”

“Yeah, get everybody and their stuff together. You guys hung over from the party?”

Susan chuckles dryly. “No, but Flak spent about two hours trying to figure out why drunk humans barf. And one imitating.”

“Oof.”

“Yeah. Out.”

Gopher is on the comms as you walk into the command room bright and early the next day, finishing up a call with some kind of human military. You salute as he cuts the line, turning to you.

"The pad is ready when you are," he says.

"Yes, sir. My team is en route, they’re coming with.”

Gopher nods, placing another call or two--you distinctly recognize some German in the background. Once the Berets are in, he turns back to regard them all expression level even as he inspects their modified loadouts.

They certainly cut a heavier profile than their fellows, clad in those modular armor kits you bought. Susan’s Lockon Rifle is fresh from the workbench, the finish gleaming bright as he adjusts the sight with his thumb. Opposite him, Flak is hoisting the heavy tube of his Blackout Launcher. The other two--Marx and this Derby guy, you don’t know them as well--are checking their buster rifle and their tool kit, respectively.

“Here’s what we know,” Gopher says. “Disruptor Sabomole was a civilian infrastructure expert, no history of violence. Specializes in electrical systems, cable replacement, and so on. He and his construction firm disappeared about three weeks ago while contracting for law enforcement, testing and improving defenses against physical intrusion. We’ve got verified sightings underground here, collapsing highways and bridges.”

“How are the casualties?” you ask, Wren still fresh on your mind.

“Surprisingly, next to none. A few injuries, no deaths yet. He’s not trying to hide where he’s going, so the seismic readings are telegraphing what he’s about to turn into a sinkhole.”

Susan raises his hand. “Groundside support?”

“German and French special forces,” Gopher replies. “They’ve already sent a few teams into the tunnels to reconnoiter and map. They’ve lost contact with a few. Reports coming back topside suggest a huge tunnel network, reinforced by heavy mechaniloids. Sabomole’s been busy.”

“Any change since Wren was put down?”

“None. Initially, we’d thought it was coordinated to keep local assets from helping with her, but if anything the activity has increased since she went down. They seem to be heading generally into Germany, towards some urban centers. Someone got it into their head that he’s after a research facility a few kilometers upstream, but we don’t have anything concrete.”

“What’s the plan?” Susan asks.

“German army has an entrance to the tunnels secured topside,” Gopher replies, pulling up a small (and woefully incomplete) map of what must be the tunnel network, as mapped. “They breached about two days ago, but progress is slow. They can’t send an army down there, and the deeper you go, the harder it is to get a signal out. You won’t be able to rely on a navigator after the first few hundred feet.”

“Lovely.”

“Ain’t it just. Any questions?”

>

Same here

What kind of support does Sabo have, does any of it stand out among the rest?

>Anything special about that research facility we should know of?
>What do we know about the composition of Sabomole's support?

Anything specific to advice for live capture? Sounds like Sabomole is at least non-aggressive enough to tease some info out of.

How fast can he dig midcombat? Would tunnel blockades even do anything?

seconding

thirded

fourthed

“What kind of support does he have?”

“So far, it’s all been mechaniloids, as far as we can tell. Heavy stuff, Sabomole himself was never much of a fighter, as far as we can tell. You have to be careful with civilian models, though, eyewitness sightings have said it looks like he’s been modified. Never know what you’re in for there.”

You frown. “Heavy--are we talking pure firepower, or digging in?”

“Digging in. It looks like he’s daring us to come pry him out. That says ‘stalling for time’ to me.”

“What about that research facility?”

“Classified. The German government’s sent someone to divulge information to a hunter representative for discretionary need-to-know. So far she’s been forthcoming, but not with us directly. We’ve been promised that anything we have to know we’ll be informed of.”

“And will we?” you ask, before you can stop yourself--this isn’t Frog you’re dealing with any more.

Fortunately, Gopher shrugs. “Germany’s been good about this sort of shit in the past, but go in expecting a curveball. You’ll live longer.”

You resist a snort. “Noted. Any specifics on maverick makeup?”

“Confirmed Drill Wayings and Hamma Hammas. One team reported incoming laser fire down a corridor but couldn’t get a visual sighting of the attacker. It’s cramped terrain down there, long straight shots and poor visibility. Lots of ambush potential. I’ve done a lot of those--sounds like a murder hole waiting to happen.”

“He doesn’t sound all that hostile. Kind of defensive, really,” you note. “Plus, he’s a B-class. Any advice if I wanted to bring him in?”

“If it’s ever in question, put him down,” Gopher replies immediately. “I can’t afford losses with a war to fight, and even if you live, the less downtime, the better. Don’t take any chances.”

You nod. “Okay, what about his digging speed? Can he bail on me mid-combat?”

“Maybe. It’d take him time to chew through denser strata, but he’s built for it. He’s had time to set up, he might dig into premade tunnels to exfil.”

“What about us?” Susan asks. “What’s our scope in this?”

“They did say they had missing teams,” Flak points out.

“Missing teams, and a whole tunnel network. You can’t cover the whole thing at once, and if he’s smart, Sabomole will use that.”

>Fire support. I lead, you follow.
>Independent fireteam. Task on other objectives as they appear.

>Let's split up and investigate the spoooooky tunnels, team
>Just kidding, fire support.

We definitely shouldn't throw them out on their own on the first actual mission they're with us.

trying to think of weaknesses to digging, and the best I can come up with is abrasives. Crystals, glass, diamond dust....that shit fucks up your drills bad.

Would we be able to plant them in walls we think Sabomole might dig through?

Sabamole deals with electricals as well. Could be a good or bad thing.

We really should have learnt Cath's trick for signal-boosting.

>>Fire support. I lead, you follow.
The extra eyes will help more with counter ambush. We can always split up later if needed. Plus comms are unreliable down there.

Splitting up sounds like guaranteed bad times. Any other objectives should be considered expendable before our team's safety.

Oh come now, splitting the party always works, especially in spooky tunnels!

Watch out for cave ins!

Could we flood the tunnels with sonic-based weaponry?

You don't have the Spin Wheel...

>fire support
Comms are fuzzy down there and a squad is better for repelling ambushes in this scenario. Something to note is that the tunnels are cramped so single file is going to be a thing for a lot of it (we space hulk now). Susan at the back with his lockon rifle might be a good move since he'll be able to hit precisely at all ranges.

>Asume he is now A class due to black market upgrades.
>Pick your weapons and weapons loadout carefully.
>He is an electricity expect, you are an electricity based Reploid, be careful.

Flak is clearly a bard, not sure about the others.

This. Last time we went "Is just a B class" we got fucked and only survived because that damn Fox planned to surrender anyway and killing a Huntet would have gone counter to that.

This is Alien, not Scooby Doo. Stick together.

Also this. But really nothing we are going to do when we were told the one we are hunting is an electricity expert? Like going with stuff to counter that?

Also once we get the cash, one in our team should carry a BFG to destroy those giant annoying minibosses from distance.

>inb4 custom-made Monty Mole-style mechaniloids pull a facehugger on one of us

More serious note: Do - Not - Split - The - Party.

> Do Note: Split The Party

FTFY. I am extremely helpful

Ironically, diamond saws have a much harder time cutting into soft things than hard things - using abrasives means they require the material to stay in place to be cut away. Skin just indents a little bit and avoids being cut. So you can touch a spinning diamond saw with your skin and it won't get cut (though your fingernails will).

Long story short, this is the sort of weird edge case that human aces would love.

>Gentlemen our enemy is specialized in electricity, expect electric traps, giant bug zappers, and enemies that jump out on nowhere to give you a literal shock. Also sone underground themed stuff since he is a mole.

"No Flak, I don't think he will have a labyrinth or be dressed up as the Globin King, is not that kind of Underground. Although if we survive I will recommend that one for movie night."

“Right, well, until I hear evidence to the contrary, I’m treating him like he’s an after-market A,” you reply. “We’ll travel together, you back me up, I’ll get shot in the face.”

Flak giggles, and even Susan snorts. “Sounds like a plan, sir.”

You turn back to Gopher. “Lots of tunnels, you said?”

“Yeah, but that doesn’t mean they won’t have a few wider spaces. Keep in mind they may have been at this for weeks.”

You briefly entertain the image of a subterranean Saetos lair before discarding it with an inward shudder. “Okay, I’ll keep that in mind for my loadout. And this guy’s an electrical expert?”

“That’s why I’m sending you. Based on what little data we have to go off, you’re going to be immune--or at least resistant--to the worst of his tricks.”

“But we won’t,” Susan notes.

“That armor won’t do you much good if you take a direct hit,” Gopher warns.

“Nothing really does,” Susan mutters.

“And be flexible. We don’t know what we’re going to find down there.”

Choose VWES loadout (4 slots):
>Blackout Rocket
>Tension Coil
>Lockon Hunter
>Tumult Shell
>Hurricane Bomb

>Anything else before deploy?

>Asume he might have something to screw up your electricity atacks like lighting rods or something like that. After all, he probably bought an outdated black market sim of us.

>Blackout Rocket
>x Tension Coil
>x Lockon Hunter
>x Tumult Shell
>x Hurricane Bomb

This. We got introduced to black market sims just recently. And we, with help, took out a SA. Since that guy wasn’t a P despite that super dangerous weapon. And we do have the unfortunate tendency to have bad intel on targets.

Seconding this.

Let's hope he can't call in his construction union representatives as back up.

>Since that guy wasn’t a P
I should fucking hope not, considering that the only P on record is what Sigma would have been if his new body had been completed.

That said, I still say whatsisface was a G and Team Diode is just that fucking good when not split up.

This sounds okay.

>We also get underpaid because out targets are under ranked.

This works unless someone has a goodreason why we should try something else.

Presuming we survive this, do we want to give Indy first dibs on the data? I'd rather git gud with what we already have unless it's something spectacular.

>Remenbers who else we have in the list. Wonders if we can call our sister to take out that G class. Or otherwise if we can just refuse if we don't get enough backup saying that we aren't X or Zero.

"Look if the data we have says G class, you cannot expect me to take on that guy alone. Specifically since any restraints it had are most likely removed. Besides when it comes to G class, the minimum is a whole team of As or at least a couple of SAs."

>I am the literal devil.
Same to you, mang.

We could use the data to further upgrade our electric sistems as we are an electric Reploid. We can always give her a copy as it will probably have a way to improve the electric systems of her ship.

We honestly cannot drop a direct upgrade like this will most likely be.

Agreed. Plus a way to improve the efficiency of the power consumption of the ship can be easily adapted from data that improves our control of electricity. Asuming of course that's what we get.

What effect does blackout rocket have on electricity? IIRC it amplified our own electric attacks, so leaving it out seems like a good idea, since it could become a friendly fire disadvantage.

Then again, if the enemy uses electricity too, then maybe there's electrical equipment that can only be used with strong charges?

I'm trying to play devil's advocate, but I can't think of much that would support Blackout Rockets in this situation. The only thing I can think of is that they probably don't have the disadvantage of their navigators and intel being jammed like we do. The blackout rockets could even that particular playing field, but it'd only be for a moment, and they've got the setup time to where that might not matter much.

So yeah, I'll support this.

If we use the data can we give her a copy? I thought it was a one-use thing since HC disallowed us from buying an extra copy.

>IIRC it amplified our own electric attacks
It was less an amplification and more that chaff happens to be more conductive than open air. Not sure if it makes a meaningful difference outside of rewiring the rockets to leave a chaff trail or something.

What? Since when we can't give away a copy of weapon data we already have?

Also, weapon data copies is okay, what we cannot get copies of is the raw data, right?

Otherwise, let's cash in that favor the Fox owns us for not just killing her and make a copy of the processed data of this Boss.

I think that was just for Saetos, actually. In-game Hunter Command may have told us that we couldn't have more than one copy of it because restrictions.

We do have to pay for extra copies, though.

Blackout Rockets against a Mole? Yeah, no thanks. Even without black market upgrades he probably can fight better in the dark that we can.

Also as far as I remember, is raw data what's restricted, not weapon data.

That is kind of true Raw data is even hrder to modify than weapons data and is what you need to resurrect a reploid but IIRC you can normally copy it but the fire chicken did some BS on how he gave us his data to make it perfectly uncloneable.

Since the Fox is authorised to have access to data we can't due to now legally working for the High Command, she could give way more weapon data to totally not our girlfriend than we can, without costing her a cent.

Of course she has no reason to do that and she only owns us a single favour.

We still should mention it, just because.

Gonna be in and out for a little while. No worries, I've got a long weekend, so I can actually run into tomorrow if necessary.

>owes us a favor
I thought that went out the window when she decided to fix the Crossmore.

That thing wasn't our baby, it was totally not our girlfriend baby. Well we liked it, but not as much as she does.

Also she uploaded a video of us being humiliated that has millions of views by now. Doing a favor to her new girl friend as opposed to doing a favour specific to us doesn't count.

Since when we are a rules lawyer?

But yeah just the Crossmore doesn't cover the video. Since even if she had cared to delete it, the damage is done, thousands have downloaded it and some even have edited it and reuploaded it for fun.

Do we know if it was uploaded or if she's hanging on to it for blackmail? Seems like something that would have been plastered all over the unti's tv screens by now if it were public.

I'm having flashbacks to the Chaff Weasel op where, when we got back, blind from busted optics, we were made to hold things that were funny, the pictures uploaded to the base's monitors.

In a few years, there'll be 'Funniest Anode Moments' compilation videos on YouTube. Good for PR, not so good for us!

I'm sure, given a few years, even Anode will find it funny.

But tracking down the assholes who made the videos and enacting prankster vengeance will be funnier.

Is a video about a Reploid acting weird and reacting to things that aren't there. Remenber the setting, videos like that aren't uncommon.

Ah yes with your good friends Seven and Tanker.

Tanker actually never pranked us. He just loved to beat the shit out of Dodo and us.

And honesty Tanker going Marverick was no surprise. Seven was like "Oh why didn't I see this?"

Tanker helped Seven with the Lady Liberty op.

Really? Since he wasn't such a jerk afterwards I kind of forgot.

And really what was the damn problem with Seven Buster? Is just a gun, the fact he suposely had so much trouble to fix it never made much sense to me.

I mean you can get external weapons with way more payload than the average buster anyway.

He helped with that other jaunty prank too. Operation Kill Everyone You Love And Betray The Hunters. Boy that was a funny one.

And that should have given us a hint that something was wrong with the faulty Buster story. If the thing really was doomed he would have got an external weapon. Is not like he lacked the credits for it.

Seven's buster is why the Crossmore is fucked, user. His, "spud gun," as India called it, has a shit-ton of power in it.

What a rip-roaring riot!
Ripping up and roaring at all those Hunters, what a hoot!

And did the guy who usually did the "medical" check ups go Maverick too? Because there is no way he could have hidden his Buster as faulty for so long otherwise.

Goddammit there are so many things I want to say that I can't because they are spoilers.

I will take that as "Yes the Fixer bot was a Maverick" or as "Seven Buster was detachable so he swiched for a faulty one when it was time for his check ups."

Also, did we finally buy that Mettool?

Neither of those is accurate. Seven's always used the same buster.

I think his buster legit didn't work for most of our time with him. I remember he got it working for a bit, but according to Hunter Command there was a scene we missed that exposed that the way he did was incredibly dangerous and risky to himself, and was told to stop using it. He could have improved the process but kept that under wraps.

We spent so little time with Seven, we really don't have much to go with. We still haven't asked Frog about what was up with his gun in the first place.

So Seven might end blowing himself up? Greatest news I had all day.

You opt to leave Blackout Rockets behind--Flak will have his launcher in a pinch, but more to the point, you doubt the squad will appreciate having to wade through a field of blinding razor chaff if you fill up a tunnel with one.

“Got any plans for close quarters?” You ask Susan as the squad makes their final checks.

“Sure,” he replies, stepping onto the pad first. “Stand behind you.”

You don’t get much time to tour scenic Germany, such as it is--the destruction is clear, with the army base camp poised on what looks like a giant plate. Large pylons have been driven through into the earth, acting as stakes and stabilizers--and, presumably, some kind of protection to prevent Sabomole from just dropping the entire place from below.

“Captain?” A voice calls. You turn with your squad, the Berets in close formation, uniform and ready. A mild-looking German--Reploid--with military bearing and decor to match greets you.

He salutes crisply. “Captain Drang, Deutches Heer. I’ll get straight to it--I am tasked solely with maintaining a perimeter while French and German special forces attempt to locate and retire the maverick.”

You’re given an unpleasant reminder of the last such infantry perimeter you visited, in the Himalayas. “A perimeter, you say.”

He sweeps his arms out theatrically. “Yes, to prevent a subterranean digger from escaping, I am maintaining a very orderly sewer cap over the ground. Brilliant, yes? But orders are orders. And on that note, I must also tell you that my superiors have decided to leave matters in your very capable hands.”

“That doesn’t sound good.”

“It isn’t. What that means is that they are letting you do the heavy lifting--which is to say, all of it--and my orders are to only expend resources as absolutely necessary.”

You roll your eyes. “Lovely.”

“Just so. But the KSK have cheerfully radioed home to inform them that they cannot receive those orders, as they are belowground and out of communication range.”

Susan laughs out loud at that, then rather steadfastly remains in parade rest, leaving the German officer to guess which identical-looking Beret did it.

You suppress a dirty little chuckle yourself. “Give them my thanks.”

“With luck, you can do it yourself. We have three teams down there, and one from France. Major Lucas sends his regards from hospice, by the by. They had to double his sedatives to keep him from coming in person.”

“So what can I expect down there?”

“For support? Unfortunately, very little. If you can meet up with one of our teams, they may have intel for you, but there are only about a dozen men accounted for down there for what must be kilometers of tunnel network.”

You nod. “Any further news from the enemy?”

Drang shakes his head. “The only team sent past what we’ve already encountered is not responding to hails. Our only guess is that he isn’t doing all the digging himself, by the sheer volume of it. If he is, then he has been very busy.”

>Ask anything else?

"Do you know what model of mechanoids he is using or have a general idea at least?"

"What's the most expensive thing I can wreck here? Last mission I scored a dragon, hoping I can at least smash up some tanks or something."

This is fucking hilarious and I cannot tell you why yet.