The DM throws out his carefully plotted political campaign plans three-quarters through the campaign and things become...

>The DM throws out his carefully plotted political campaign plans three-quarters through the campaign and things become an epic of gods versus men

>Last campaign's PC comes back to raise hell.

>DM starts a "dumped in wilderness" sandbox campaign with some vague looming threat that he promises will be interesting, after 4 sessions group goes full autistic and only cares about the building rules and the DM rolls with it till he gets bored and just ends the campaign.

>DM has subscribed to a homebrew thread about transformative and alternative rules

>Shadowrun campaign on a budget.

>DM has to improv like a motherfucker when the party royally fucks up the plot.

>turns out the whole setting was the GM's magical realm

>DM's magical realm gets hijacked by the gameplay

>The DM went off his meds

Is that from Samurai Flamenco? It would make an...interesting campaign for the players.

Funnily enough I do know why FFXII went so weirdly like that. See the lead guy on the team died and they placed the guy who had done the art design that brought us the term "belt-and-buckle fantasy" in to fill his role for the remainder of the game.

If by 'interesting' you mean that the group collectively drops acid on the 10th session or so, yeah.

Dio is such a forced stale meme. And no, just because you like it, doesn't make it less forced or stale. It's always the same 3 guys forcing him in every oportunity. Fuck.

FFXII always had the gods and men in the background, it's just that 90% of the game it was the Empire interacting with it while you did jack shit in some ruins.
"Ah, yes, the reins of history, back in the hands of man!"
meanwhile
"lol I wanna be a sky pirate"

anyway
>the GM wants to bring back the BBEG for another adventure

>"lol I wanna be a sky pirate

yeah but not even half-way into the game Vaan goes, "Yeah I just said that shit because I couldn't cope with loosing my brother but fuck it there's big shit going on."

And then he became a sky pirate afterwards.

I am okay with this

>That Guy(playing a lesbian) hijacks the game, kicks the GM out, and turns it into his literal magical realm.

I saw that WEG before watching the show, but I still wasn't ready for what happened.

The hell are you talking about? That's Rance, not Dio.

I think his point stands regardless.

>Dio is such a forced stale meme
>Caring about memes

/v/ plz leave

No it doesn't

The first director was fired for taking too long. Look it up. If you hear the music at the end of the Underground Palace compared to most of the music, then it's worlds apart.

He did not die.

>Confusing Dio with Rance
>Calling Dio a meme

>Be Venat
>Be member of a godlike race called Occuria
>Occuria not-so-subtly manipulate the mortal races because they think they can't govern themselves.
>Also fuck over any race that tries to escape their influence.
>The espers ,immortal spirit servants of the Occuria, rebel and their masters take them down and bind them after a massive war.
>You go to your siblings and say "Hey, maybe we should give some leeway to the mortals, before they do the same thing as the espers. Plus just because we are the most powerful race in the world doesn't necessarily mean we have the right to lord over lesser races"
>Get BTFO'd and kicked out of the cool as shit giant crystal you lived.
>Mop about in the ruins of an ancient city as the Occuria keep manipulating the mortals.
>A while after a human scientist breaks in the city looking for superweapons.
>Fuck this Occuria BS, you got a plan.
>Appear to the scientist, teach him how to create powerful Occuria Magitech
>Meet with his boss, apparently he's like, the emperor of an empire or something ?
>Explain him about the Occuria and what they did to his race all this time
>He mad
>Tell him the plan
> First he needs to take out the lineage of kings that had been the Occuria's puppets so long.
>Then, with the help of the scientist, find a massive magical stone the Occuria have been using to give power to their chosen to make a massive superweapon to wage war upon the Occuria and free humanity.
>He's in. You are pretty much bros by now.
>Finally you have a friend
>Die besides your only bro by a bunch of chucklefucks led by the last of said lineage of kings, who are the Occuria's pawns as usual.
>YFW

Didn't he still manage to get humans out of the Occuria's control?

I loved FFXII antagonists, very compelling rather than the usual "lolsoevil" guys.

Your new is showing, kid.

Well the PCs did destroy the stone they used to manipulate said line of kings, so he did manage to complete his goals in a bittersweet manner.

I'm curious now, what show is it?

I never actually got to play to the end of that game. Holy shit. That actually sounds like a damn compelling bad-guy.

Why was this game panned again?

I'd like to see another mainline game set on Ivalice since it was one of the most interesting settings in the saga. Perhaps a continuation based on an open war against the Occuria as they struggle to regain control?

I'd love to see what was of Ashe, Balthier, Larsa and hell, even Vaan.

Final Fantasy 12 had a great reception, what are you talking about?

>hell, even Vaan.
a more mature, post Revenant Wings, Vaan?

It had story, but horrible storytelling, and it got quite repetitive.

Design decisions aside, it had to contend with FF10 audience aka babby's first FF for that respective generation. And FF12 was pretty much FF10's polar opposite in every way. It kinda helps Matsuno is genuinely one of the few Japanese video game writers who actually know how to write and, more importantly, WANTS to write something beyond usual genre drivel.

He really was. Not only Venat but also Vayne and even Gabranth were all tragic figures rather than evil villains. Vayne was cunning, charismatic and not only had the good of the Archadian Empire in mind, but all of humankind's. Still, he wasn't able to see the folly of his methods and obsession with power and conquest, which lead to his unfortunate downfall at the height of his glory.

That's without even mentioning Vossler, another tragic character who against all odds manages to redeem himself in one of the most badass moments of the entire saga.

In contrast, the heroes were kind of bland. Ashe, Balthier and Fran were the coolest whereas Vaan was just meh from not developing at all though his admiration towards Balthier and Ashe save him. On the other hand Penelo is completely uninvolved with the story. Its like she was put there to have a romance subplot with Vaan that never happened (which would have made the game quite better). Basch is a little flat too but that's due to him bein originally vonceived as the main protagonist for you to insert as.

All these shortcomings are easily compensated by the enormous and gorgeous, sandbox-like world, fun and lengthy as hell gameplay packed wit lore for you to discover and the sheer volume of sweet Viera ass. Seriously. Those buns are errywhere and they are so delicious its not even funny.

They just released a new, greatly improved version too. Maybe you should give it a try. You won't regret it, I know I won't.

Sure, that sounds like fun.
Though without his free-spirit and naivety Vaan just wouldn't be Vaan.

For reference, here's some sweet Viera was.

It was so fun being able to stop motion any second and just take in the view, I can already imagine the game on PS4 with Fran all bouncy and shit.

>DM decides mystery investigation is too boring and it's time to up the ante with ancient conspiracies and AI duking it out

There's a pasta about it somewhere, but Vaan is pretty much there to teach Ashe not to be a bitch hellbent on revenge at the expense of everything else.

Well, it did work in the end then. By not taking the Occuria's power for revenge, Ashe was free from their curse.

here ya go

Basically. Vaan's whole purpose was to ground Ashe, be the party gofer, and ask important question like "do you even know how to use the super weapon you plan to use to free your kingdom?"

That and he's responsible for 95% of the party's income.

> It's that fucking guy again
WE DON'T HAVE SIGNATURES ON Veeky Forums, REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>implying Matsuno died
He's only 50 m8

matsuno might as well have died as far as his video game career is concerned. he is now creating mobile in a basement somewhere. which is a shame because his crimson shroud was pretty damn good and interesting.

>That and he's responsible for 95% of the party's income.
>He doesn't loot chain

I'm just waiting for it to follow suit with the rest of the games and appear on Steam.

>They just released a new, greatly improved version too
FFXII The Zodiac Age won't be out till 2017.

Samurai Flamenco

>game of thrones

I really hope it doesn't end like this, but all signs point to yes.