I've got my first Twilight Imperium tomorrow

I've got my first Twilight Imperium tomorrow.

Shed knowledge and tips upon me.

I'm confused if combat is worth it.

Good luck

Thanks.

You win the game by accumulating victory points. Your every action should take you in some way closer to fulfilling those conditions. If you start a war with your neighbor that does not generate VP for you the only result is both of you losing the game.

If Naalu is in the game they essentially have a one turn lead on everybody else because of their Initiative ability. If the Naalu win on round 8 others have to win by round 7. Because of this always remember to hate the Naalu (if they are in the game).

I love how in civilization games they have to invent conflict by having an arbitrary score system that causes the groups to compete.

I find it poetic.

Why is Hawkeye using a gun?

He's done fuckin around

But user, life is a competition; one with the most toys when they die, wins. A game's scoring system just gives this a more concrete form.

>life is a competition

It literally is not

Get out while you still can. Save yourself!

4X games need more random win conditions. Give every player their own secret objective to pursue, and then leave them to crash into each other.

>Give every player their own secret objective to pursue

There is a Resistance-esque game that has this.

It's pretty alright but this is definitely the most fun aspect.

Ignore him. He is trying to be satirical with the understanding of a preteen.

OP, don't forget to print out some player aids to make it easier for the new players to grasp the game. Letting them know that pursuit of victory conditions is the primary goal will help them have a good game.

Avoid playing with 6+ people, especially with new players. Make the galaxy one ring smaller than recommended.
Combat is worth it when it'll complete objectives or prevent players tied with or ahead of you from completing them.

REMOVE YSSARIL

REMOVE YSSARIL

Oh, and playing vanilla +2VP cards is pretty boring.

Pre emptive attack stuff like PDS units with range, minefield action cards, cruisers in the faction that has pre eptive cruiser fire, etc- is really useful.

Also just play to your factions strengths- I had one game as the raiders where I would have done so much better if I had just got the carrier movespeed upgrade early as it would have let my fleet jump around the galaxy like a madman

Also- play with the alternate rule that puts the mystery tokens on the planets.

Dont feel bad if the mystery tokens screw you and give you a slow start- it wont mean the end for you.

Don't underestimate the ability of a faction even if it doesn't seem to be doing much- every game I've played in where someone picks the raiders has meant that nobody stocks trade goods, so while you cant steal them, they dont usually stock them so its a lot harder for war suns to get made.- so it doesnt seem like you're doing much but you really are.