/40krpg/ 40K Roleplay General

Secutarii Edition

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame. Not Chapter Master. Or Space Hulk.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things formerly listed individually on this post.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.45.160417), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now containing some of the DH2 content up to the first supplement.
mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Fear and Loathing (Ver 1.5.2) and The Fringe is Yours (Ver 1.6.0), Veeky Forums made Rogue Trader homebrew supplements for playable xenos, Knights, Horus Heresy gear, and other things. Now found in the Homebrew Megafolder.

Mars Needs Women! Rampage of the Nerds! (V1.0.0), a new Veeky Forums made Only War supplement for playing as Skitarii, Cult Mechanicus, and joyriding an Ordinatus!
mediafire.com/?irijme05vbks7q4

Old thread: boards.Veeky Forums.org/tg/thread/49054801

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/download/k2h92hnxa3447cj/Mars_Needs_Women.pdf
mediafire.com/download/dxr1rl22aq7k6q7
mediafire.com/download/6cv56daobld3que
mediafire.com/download/uoupedk6wcecmba
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Has anyone ever touched upon themes of family within a game that wasn't Rogue Trader? Has a DH investigation ever uncovered that your nearest and dearest are involved, how did you react to it? Did the GM handle it well or not?

We had a dynasty of Khorne Warriors descended from a Chaos Marine who got busy with his many slaves and created his own society. Constant themes of family honor and maintaining legacy were present.

Do Haarlock heirs count? Because I know at least three including myself. The first BBEG we fought later turned out to be a party members sister, and I think an eldar player was related to a human one somehow

When will Mars Needs Women! be updated?

What are some interesting or unique items that have come up in your games? Anything memorable?

whenever shas gets off his lazy ass and puts in the missing stuff

IIRC he said something about this weekend already?

a bump from page 9

Any stories worth sharing from your campagins?

Last game, we went shopping for guns and went to find the biggrst arms dealer on the planet. Who turned out to be a techpriest who exclusively spoke in the most ridiculously fake "Happy chipper marketer SOHAPPY" voice imaginable. At all times. Because he had been informed that meatbags respond better to a friendly, happy tone of voice. So he programmed his vocoder to speak in that tone at all times. Not much on paper, but having to deal with the GM's best HAPPYSOHAPPY sales voice (Complete with persistent undercurrent of simmering rage) made the scene work amazingly.

That sounds wonderful.

This Player here has left out a few details, so I shall attempt to tell the story from my perspective.

This is the Small tale of Lieutenant Betty's Burning Bunker.

The recently crash-landed Heretics learn that a Freeblade Imperial Knight is being repaired and rearmed, they set out to steal the War Machine.

Infiltrating the Base for them was relatively easy, through a combination of Speed, good rolls and the Illusion of Normalcy Mutation, they secret the Thousand Sons Sorcerer, the Ex-Rogue Trader Son Apostate, and the Heretek on base.

The Dark Angel Fallen (Forsaken) and World Eater (Chosen), along with the Sorcerer's Rubric, wait in the treeline and jungle around 100 meters off-base for 'the signal'.

They avoid the outer and inner patrols and are able to enter the Comm's Building, where they surprise the Comm's Team and take out the Base's Communications. They then give the Signal. Upon receiving it, the Fallen opens up with Sniper fire from his Stalker Bolter.

Chaos, Confusion, That's how I'd describe those first few moments. The WE Charges across the Gap, screaming praise to his bloodthirsty God, as the Rubric lumbers forward, spraying semi-auto suppessive fire while the Fallen takes precision shots at the Heavy Weapon teams.

On the inside, the Heretek breaks off on his own upon seeing a Engineseer, and defeats him in Melee Combat. He then takes a turn into the small Medical Facility.

Upon entering, he is mistake for a Tech Priest and is asked by the various Guardsmen what was going on, Power was down, Bolter rounds could be heard in the distance.

The Heretek immediately drops his spaghetti and starts going on a tirade that sounded alittle like this:

"So me and my Associates were arriving on base.."

A Suspicious, wounded Guardsman started to pull a Laspistol at which point the Heretek promptly shot him with his Plasma gun, and continues telling his story as if nothing had happened. This happened 2 more times.

The Heretek strike a deal with the last, terrified Guardsman, to put in to sleep in exchange for information on the base, and not blowing his cover.

After this, the Patrols on the other side of the Base Burst into the Medical Facility, they raise the Concrete Building's Shutters, turning it into a veritable Bunker. The Lieutenant in command, we'll call her Betty, ordered the confused Tech Priest to move the Medical Beds moved. She quickly realized that 3 of the 4 Guardsmen were dead of Plasma Wounds, and she quickly rounded on him, asking why.Not Caring anymore, this apathetic Heretek callshoted her in the face.

10 Crit Damage later she's a Burning Headless Corpse. She Lit about 30 men on fire as the Heretek made his Hasty retreat, not forgetting to drop about 5 frags on the way out.

After one of the Squad Flamers exploded, there was noone that wasn't on fire. All that could be heard from that bunker was fire and screams.

On the Northside, the CSM's had broken all of the outside defenses, and inside, the Apostate had just succeeded in dropping 50 Imperial Guardsmen with a Well placed 'Icon of Blasphemy' Mutation, simultaneously stopping 50 IG Hearts.

My Players had a good plan of attack, they executed it near flawlessly, and they gained an Imperial Knight as a Reward. They Almost lost it the next day, but that's another story.

Two sessions ago, in my Only War game, the party (a squad of regimental stormtroopers), broke into a Lord General's office to acquire some files for a covert Commissariat investigation.

One of them saw a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and shit on the the Lord General's desk before leaving. Now the Lord General's convinced there's a Plague God cult loose in the Guard camp and the Inquisition has arrived to find it. Now the party is crawling around in sewers at an Inquisitor's orders trying to find the"cultists" that defiled the Lord General's office.

Are there any books that have statistics for imperial aircraft?

Yes, there are.

I fixed it.

mediafire.com/download/k2h92hnxa3447cj/Mars_Needs_Women.pdf

Mars Needs Women! Rampage of the Nerds! (V1.1.7)

Changelog
-Secutarii Hoplite and Peltast added. Their gear is in there, too.
-Skitarii Vanguards and Rangers now have Auto-stabilized. They were supposed to have this from the beginning. It's a long story.
-Missing Arc Maul added.
-Lightning Claws for Ursarax added.
-Vultarax Stratos-Automata still missing. One day it will be released. One day.
-Macrocarid Explorator Text Fixes
-Graviton Imploder Text Fixes
-Cybernetica Cohort Description finished. Whoops.

I've played a lot of dark heresy, but I'm just now reading the books for black crusade. It looks pretty interesting, particularly the Alpha Legion archetype.

Can anyone tell me about your experiences with black crusade, and what kind of campaigns were fun/not fun?

Are there any books that have the rules for flying vehicles, anyways?

Into the Storm has rules for air combat, I believe. I don't think any of the Aeronautica vehicles ever got official rules though.

I'm still running through my current Deathwatch series, Spess Mareen: Republican Commando. I archive every single thing that happens. Every episode has been cleared up, sanitized, and reprocessed for distribution. The Collected Visions are split into four cours, of which only three are complete. The series is still running after all. So, feeling bored and have some time? Feel free to read things through. Each Collected Visions contains the archives and all the bonus content one would expect. I hope you enjoy them as much as I had fun running them.

In Cour 1 of Spess Mareen: Republican Commando (Episodes 1-12), the players are a Deathwatch Kill Team sent to the Tiji Sector, to combat the Hellstar, an extradimensional, amorphous, cyclopean invader the size of a planet that can make even a Spess Mareen feel fear. Coming to grips with this revelation, the Commandos are forced to gather their strength until they can begin to understand the situation they've found themselves in.

In Cour 2 of Spess Mareen: Republican Commando (Episodes 13-25), the Commandos continue to safeguard the sector while seeking out the relics of their predecessors, and begin to embrace the long-forgotten title of Legionary. Making a pilgrimage to long-forgotten worlds to overcome the curse within their gene-seed, the Commandos finally discover an ancient Dark Age weapon that can take on the Hellstar on equal terms.

In Cour 3 of Spess Mareen: Republican Commando (Episodes 26-40), the Commandos, now armed with the world-shattering power of the First-Generation Interstellar Decisive Weapon "CRUSADER INVICTUS," strike back at the Hellstar where they can. But it is not easy to combat what is essentially a transdimensional virus that spreads memetically into lesser beings not strong enough to maintain a sense of self. The Commandos gather new allies, unite the strength of the past with the faith of the present, and finally embrace the destiny that was always meant for them - Praetors.

Cour 1
mediafire.com/download/dxr1rl22aq7k6q7

Cour 2
mediafire.com/download/6cv56daobld3que

Cour 3
mediafire.com/download/uoupedk6wcecmba

Grab something warm to drink. Dim the lights. Put some comfy headphones on. Enjoy.

Having a hard time finding the silent-move penalty for wearing power armour and the concealement penalty for sizes.

Found it:
>Any armour that provides 7 or more APs (including Astartes power armour) inflicts a –30 penalty on the wearer’s Concealment and Silent Move Tests.

What's a good Psy Focus for someone from a daemon world?

Hey, I need a pre-made campaign. Does someone have anything they'd recommend?
For roguetrader. Our group consists of a rogue eldar bonesinger, an upside down ork mek, a arch militant and a rogue trade

A small, handcarved Aquila.
Because unless they had a lot of faith, no way would a psyker make it off a daemon world alive.

It's the background I was considering using. Maybe something about how an inquisitor visited the demon world and brought a child back for the black ships. Kids grows up and is a psker in another inquisitors warband.

I was thinking something like a large tooth or bit of wood, something primitive? I dunno.

You could have it be the bone of a Daemonic creature that the Psyker slew at some point in their life, through their faith in the Emperor.

"Counter-Sanctification" is definitely a real thing in most religions. You'd be surprised how often a church is placed on or near an area that previously saw some horrible bloodshed or crime, in an attempt to "neutralize" the evil previously made.

Carving an Aquila from the bones of a Daemon is also a gigantic "fuck you" to Chaos in general.

A fucking holy item, or at least a symbol of the faith.
Because God-Emperor knows you're a hair's breadth away from being sanctioned as it is.

You don't want to give anyone any more reason than you have to.

bump

Dont demons not have bones?
Arent they made of warp stuff through and through?

What Psyker powers should I take? What should I avoid?

Sorry about all the questions, new player here.

Whats your job in your party? Do you want to be a glass cannon, who fries everything but also explodes? Do you want to be a Buff-o-mancer support unit to help people out? Do you think your GM will be sending you to fight chaos or Xenos?

It largely depends on the daemon in question.

Bloodthirsters, for example, have bones, but their bodies only really stick around to be harvested on Daemon worlds or within the Warp itself. In the novel "Daemon World," a Daemon Prince(ss) of Slaanesh kept the skull of an ancient Bloodthirster as a trophy of her kill.

It's not unreasonable for things like Bloodletters to also have bones that can be taken, especially since skulltaking and bone-crafting is Khornes whole shtick.

What is life like on a Daemon world in your imagination?
Do you think Chaos discriminates between its followers and its victims on such worlds?
How would you make it off of such a world?

Every Deathwatch game I've ever run.

You're a titanic superhuman whose physiological and psychological development have been engineered since before you were 10 years old. You've been subject to schooling, conditioning, and training to ensure that you are as close to the capability of each and every one of your Brothers as possible.

Now, suddenly, the entire structure that you grew up with is gone. The teeming hundreds of your Brothers have been replaced by a band of individuals with asymmetrical skills and philosophies only superficially similar to your own. Your capacity to adapt to these circumstances -- your character's choice to embrace or spurn their new brothers -- is the primary driver of power and drama in the game.

You can play it as Bigmarine's Carnifex-Punching Adventure, too, I guess.

Never played a 40k rpg before. Is there a Black Crusade equivalent of a Navigator? Are the rules similar enough that you could just port the Navigator over using some BC stats (like corruption/infamy)?

As close as you can get to literal hell without actually being in the warp.

I get having a skull, as a focal point and symbol of khorne. But I dont see them having an arm, for instance. I just figured warp flesh took care of the whole support and movement thing

How the fuck do you leave though? Ever?

As in a playable Navigator? Not so much.
In terms of Navigation? Anyone in Black Crusade can navigate a ship through the Warp through performing the appropriate chaos rituals and sacrifices.

Think chaos equivalent of Catachan, now think there may be loyalists getting recruited

Either by dying or by someone coming with a ship capable of void/warp travel.

Even Demons aren't omniscient or omnipotent, and they'll rarely have sufficient colonization to ward off ships.

So with a quick shuttle, a will of iron and more fucking purity charms and talismans than you can shake a fucking stick at, you could take a quick trip to a Daemons world with only significant risk.

Would a Heretek be mutated in such a way that they could be visibly distinguished from a regular Techpriest? Assuming you gave such mutations time to manifest

Probably, yeah? Most Heretics will have whatever cosmetic mutations you deem necessary, and in general, Hereteks and Dark Mechanicus priests seem to like pushing the "Transhumanism through forbidden augmentation" schtick right through the fucking roof and turn themselves into shit like shrieking robot wolf-spider-men or walking artillery platforms. Go fucking nuts, is what I'm trying to get across here.

>What is life like on a Daemon world in your imagination?
Depends on the world, which again depends on its master. Torvendis had Khorne-lite barbarians even though Slaanesh ruled over it and Medrengard had Emperor worshiping mutants, so if the master has little interest in you then I guess it would be like living in a Deathworld plus occasional daemons

And then on the flip side, you have your "typical" "Everything is fire and lava and brass and black iron and spikes and skulls and everything looks like the Doom series got gangbanged by several thrash metal albums" Khorne worlds, your "Vietnam full of parasites, plague, and jolly cooperation (Of parasites and plague) Nurgle worlds, and so on. And occasionally you get the inexplicable shit like "This world is an endless desert of black sand dimly lit by a purple star and covered in decaying cities that match no known race. Also, daemons really love this place and it's constantly changing hands yet not changing a bit".

Welcome to the Glimmer!

glass cannon sounds fun and I have no idea what we will be facing. I wouldn't mind trolling the GM a little to pay him back for being a force user in my EotE game though.

Also what the heck kind of gear should I buy with my two "scarce or more common" freebies during character creation?

Need to make a bio for a just-shy-of-Ascension Seraphim Sister of Battle, hired by a disgraced insuisitor with his last scraps of influence and favors for one last acolyte group to take down a wizard he's been tracking for decades. But i have creative block. Why i'd get hired, or seconded?

This is lazy as hell but if anyone just gives me a very basic concept i'd be able to jump off with it and develop on it.
(I probably shouldn't be in any serious trouble with the Ecclesiarchy since they'll replenish my ammo for free and let me requisition storm bolters and inferno pistols when I stop by a well stocked church.)

And while it won't be of any importance (OR WILL IT?!) I'm saying I'm from a custom Order called the Order of the Sable Gift. Pic related.

Ecclesiarchy wants the Inquisitor dead, and when said Inquisitor wants to hire a sororitas - she's instructed upon departure from her sisterhood to keep a sharp eye for any suspicious behaviour of her would-be boss, and when she gathers (or makes up) enough evidence - murder him, hopefully taking his place.

Our Rogue Tradee was the last of her line when the rest of the family disappeared with their Grand Cruiser. Currently, she's probably gonna go with the only other RT in the subsector, a big, loud man named Jacob S. Lewis.

And the recently deceased Chaos warlord committed horrible atrocities and genocide to turn back time to save his family.

Did anyone buy FAC yet? So we don't have a shitty scan?

Also is there a list of all skills anywhere? I want to make an excel version of the character sheet

>I wouldn't mind trolling the GM a little to pay him back for being a force user in my EotE game though.

You could go through the Divination tree, I'm sure having to GM reading an npc mind is fun

>Also what the heck kind of gear should I buy with my two "scarce or more common" freebies during character creation?

Depends on what kind of psyker you are going for. If you are going unsanctioned, maybe take a multikey and play an telekinetic thief. Or just use them for weapon upgrades, sacred inscription etc

A Flamer and Imp guard armour are both good choices in my opinion.
The flamer will allow you to shoot stuff without worrying about BS and the armour will make you a little bit harder to kill.
Those are my go to scarce picks (unless I already have better or equal armour from background)

Any advice for anyone who wants to GM Deathwatch for the 1st time?

what kind of game you want to run?

what's FAC

faith and coin, the rt book

thanks, shas

I can't say I'm a fan of the kyropatris shield, but everything else looks great.

The flak yea, that is great.
Flamers, tho, can be a problem, especially if the gm pays attention to collateral damage. Having a gunfight in a building and setting it on fire can be a serious issue.

In the version of DH2ndE I have, an Adeptus Mechanicus character can start with an optical mechandrite but only get's Mechandrite Use (Utility) as a skill option. Is this intended so the player has to buy Mechandrite Use (Optical) with the startin 1k xp? I found nothing on that in the Errata//FAQ.

I wish there was more of that in 40k. Closest I can think of are those Rune weapon things but they're still Tainted

Is this in the Homebrew MegaFolder? I'm not seeing it in there

It's not the best fluff in the setting, but don't the grey knights/draigo write their names on the bones of the daemons they've defeated in their recent codexes?

how would you guys justify a heretek following nurgle in BC?

Bio-heretek. Wants to make awesome flesh creations and the god of life is the way to go
Think Sondar from Necropolis, or the dark mechanicus buildings from the GK dark mechanicus book
Not the flesh is weak, the flesh is potential

That or a 40k skaven plague monk

I've got it, but I don't know if I could get you a better scan. Something specific you're looking for?

Mechadendrite use has been condensed down to just Weapon and Utility since RT. Utility covers Manipulator, Medicae, Optical, and of course, Utility.

>Bio-heretek
Aren't they called Savage Morticians, or are those just a specific cult?

I dont remember, I was just using it as shorthand, to get my point across, not as an actual name

Genetor who's lost someone (or many someones) to a horrible, incurable disease and is maniacally striving for a cure.

Karmic heretics best heretics.

One designed for people who don't know a huge amount about 40k.

Has anyone of you played or played with an outcast+sage before? I was wondering if you build some kind of information broker/talking rogue with this combination.

You could let them start as neonates and work themselves through various trials so they "earn" their battle suit.

I ask this almost every thread and I never get any stories except when the thread is 404ing... guess Black Crusade is too hardcore for most of Veeky Forums.

I'd run it myself if it wasn't for the usual curse of what players I have around me going "lets just play D&D".

In my DH character's background a radical inquisitor hired an RT to swoop in and round up some samples and wildlife, one of which was a daemonette-possessed former scribe that he ended up purging of daemonic control.

I'm running a campaign. Instead of the typical opening for Hand of Corruption, I adapted the House of Dust & Ash adventure from Dark Heresy, with the Mourners as Malal cultists, and the planet in the Screaming Vortex. Players got fancy gear and such there, then went to Port Wander. They then mediated at the Cultist showdown thing, before hunting down and murdering an Inquisitor for her Rosette, which they used on St Annard's Penance as a means of getting among the prisoner population.

Last session, they made a deal with Lord Oglanov, despite the Khorne players attempt to murder him. Long story short, guns, drugs, slaves, and anything else he wanted.

My group tried to switch from DH to BC, but it turned to be not as interesting as it seemed in the beginning. It needs a lot of players drive, creativity and desire to play actual chaos worshippers without slipping into bland, stupid evil, boring cartoonish antiheroes. I can't say it was bad experience though, I'd give it another try.

I used to play Herbert West (not actual name) the genetor, obsessed with fighting death itself. Flesh is weak, but I can fix it.

That's not a bad idea, but I don't have a lot of experience with Deathwatch myself. Definitely something to use another time though.

Do they have any context from other RPGs?

bump

They have played other RPGs, yes.

Have you considered adding the Ordo Reductor Artillery Tanks?
It's basically build your own artillery with multiple types that don't show up in the RPG, or is the addition not worth it?

That's because grey knights' names are potent anti-daemon words.
In Draigo's story, the name of the CM that Mortarion killed was his true name, and scribing that on Mortarion's heart was what banished him for 100 years.

>slipping into bland, stupid evil, boring cartoonish antiheroes
Isn't that half the point of BC?

If you want a shit game, maybe.

>Warhammer above Star Wars just barely

Fuels the theory that it's less a sales issue and more of a licensing one.

Not the guy you're responding to, but that's not necessarily the case. You just have to tell them to make it entertaining.

I've been mulling it over. The Ordo Reductor artillery is pretty much a Build Your Own Basilisk / Whirlwind / like 3 other patterns. Most customization would be at the vehicle selection stage, similar to the macrocarid. Maybe one day in the future I'll stick a maniple type in for it, but it's not high on priority now.

I can already play as almost any flavor of bad guys with imperials, why would I want to play chaotics?

I'm creating a character for an Only War campaign, a weapon specialist specifically, and this is my first time really making a character for the game. What talents would be good for someone trying to be a decent sniper/marksman?

1. The setting (Screaming Vortex + other Chaos influenced areas)
2. A realistic end goal, as opposed to just fight until you die
3. Infiltrating the Imperium
4. Power

What's the difference between DH1E and 2E?

Which is better to run, and why?

What's the stupidest thing you've heard while playing?

Mine is "I should be able to use that tau weapon because it has a barrel and a trigger, and I'm trained with using a lasgun."