/tgesg/ - Weekend Elder Scrolls Lore General

Morrowind Edition.

>Tabletop/P&P RPGs
[Scrollhammer - Tabletop Wargame] 1d4chan.org/wiki/Scrollhammer_2nd_Edition
Discussion in #Scrollhammer (irc.thisisnotatrueending.com (port 6667))
[UESRPG 1e + other TES RPGs] mediafire.com/uesrpg
Discussion in #UESRPG (same server)

>Lore Resources
[The Imperial Library] imperial-library.info/
[/r/teslore] reddit.com/r/teslore/
[UESP/Lore] uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Main_Page
[Pocket Guide to the Lore] docs.google.com/document/d/1AtsWXZKVqB4Q825_SwINY6z4_9NaGknXgeOknOCDuCU/edit
[Elder Lore Podcast] elderlore.wordpress.com/
[How to Become a Lore Buff] forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1112211-how-to-become-a-lore-buff/

>Fun
OpenMW 0.40 released!
openmw.org/2016/openmw-0-40-0-released/
[YouTube] OpenMW 0.40 Release Commentary
[YouTube] OpenMW-CS 0.40 Release Commentary

>General Rules
This is NOT /tesg/ minus waifus, so behave properly.
No waifus except for Almalexia.
Keep the squabbling to a minimum.

Previous Kalpa:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LB5YkmjalDg
youtube.com/watch?v=avPbctre9Qw
youtube.com/watch?v=izlm2CAnCpY
youtu.be/WSr3k9ubR7w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

FIRST FOR YSGRAMOR

REMOVE SNOW ELF

Xth for petty squabbles

It's you, now go away.

Definitely.

By the way, r8 my high rock regions map, IDK if I got them right.

youtube.com/watch?v=LB5YkmjalDg

user...

It's too ESO-centric isn't it? Or is it the red text being hard to read?

It's just bad.
Stormhaven, Ravenspire and possibly Bangkorai are ESO-only.

What time period are you even going for?

Post-Daggerfall ofcourse, considering it was a mess of small kingdoms before the Warp in the West.

How did ESO explain that anyway?

>post warp in the west
Just look at the sources, you dingus. It's not like this is hard.
Wayrest controls the Bay from Anticlere and eastwards to the western half of Gavaudon. Dagggerfall controls the western Bay from their border in Anticlere to Ykalon further north. Nova Orsinium controls most of the Wrothgarians and most of the Bjoulsae, stretching into the mountains of Hammerfell. The other areas, like the far north near Nortpoint, and the Western Reach, are probably still fragmented.

>How did ESO explain that anyway?
Explain what?

10th for megatron

Is there any lore on Uriel V's invasion of akavir other than what is contained in disaster at Ionith?

Nope, other than a very brief mention of both time travel and Uriel himself being made of wood.

ESO/10

>Explain what?
That the regions are not fragmented like in Daggerfall.

I think Brief History of the Empire mentions some of the islands he conquered.

Why is the heart at waist level?

Uriel V was cool as fuck.
>Uriel V, Cephorus II's son and successor, swivelled opinion back toward the latent power of the Empire. Turning the attention of Tamriel away from internal strife, Uriel V embarked on a series of invasions beginning almost from the moment he took the throne in 3E268. Uriel V conquered Roscrea in 271, Cathnoquey in 276, Yneslea in 279, and Esroniet in 284. In 3E288, he embarked on his most ambitious enterprise, the invasion of the continent kingdom of Akavir. This ultimately proved a failure, for two years later Uriel V was killed in Akavir on the battlefield of Ionith. Nevertheless, Uriel V holds a reputation second only to Tiber as one of the two great Warrior Emperors of Tamriel.

There are some more indirect reference in other texts. Nothing in-depth that I know of.

Here's a note from TIL that I found fun.
Morrowind had just come out, and Ted Peterson was answering fan questions:

>By the way, when asked [after Morrowind] if he would make a book about Scotti that takes place in Akavir, Ted "Tedders" Peterson replied thus: "What a suggestion. Poor Scotti barely survived the Bosmer! Throw him in with immortal vampire snake thingies? That’s too sadistic even for Waughin Jarth, who, between The Asylum Ball, The Wolf Queen, Feyfolken, and A Dance In Fire, is pretty well-known for his dark humor... If Uriel V’s army was decimated in Akavir, what are the chances of Scotti lasting five minutes?
>On the other hand, I’m pretty sure Jarth did write a series about him in Black Marsh... If I can find a copy of it to translate it into Cyrodilic..."

And in Oblivion, we got The Argonian Account.

I don't know, and I don't particularly care.

In my limited ESO knowledge, I think High Rock is still supposed to be fragmented, but King Emeric of Wayrest is the leading king and the Breton representative in the Covenant.

>The guards in Mournhold say it, or something like. While it's certainly in improvement over "We're watching you, scum", I'm not sure what it's significance is.
They say that? AFAIK all they say is 'Mournhold. City of light, city of magic.'

I like it a lot when they say that though, makes the place sound so cool.

It's one of those places I really wanna see again in a newer engine, with lots of NPCs to show Mournhold's active nightlife.

It's funny because Roscrea was probably a completely irrelevant island that Solitude barely had any jurisdiction over.

Ted Peterson's books are hands down the best in the series.
even better than MK, if you consider the quantity (ingame books only, I know MK has a lot of out-of-game texts)

What did I miss?

So what's the significance of this being fully playable? More mods?

Full open source rework of the engine. Eventually we might get multiplayer. As long as someone knows what they're doing, they can rewrite everything about the game from scratch.

Alright /tgesg/, choose two Daedric Princes for the next TES game.

>one for a full realm exploration like Shivering Isles
>one to play a big part in the main quest and get some extra lore aswell (Like Mehrunes Dagon in Oblivion and Azura in Morrowind)

I miss old MrOpenMW

>next TES game
Malacath and Malacath, if you know what I mean.

>[YouTube] OpenMW 0.40 Release Commentary
>[YouTube] OpenMW-CS 0.40 Release Commentary
You had one job...
youtube.com/watch?v=avPbctre9Qw
youtube.com/watch?v=izlm2CAnCpY

Moonshadow and Myriad Realms of Revelry sound like really cool places to visit.

Clavicus Vile or Peyrite would be interesting.

Actually, I feel like I should add The Colored Rooms and Meridia, as well.

Malacath for an Orsinium expansion, like a massive self-contained multi-level city/dungeon akin to Mournhold.

This is the only fucking map I need.

Here's what I gathered from the Warp in the West book.

>No Camlorn
Not good enough.

>Phrygias
>in Wayrest

You basically picked my top realm choices. Hunting grounds would be cool aswell.

Daggerfall and Camlorn are implied to have been unified by marriage before the events of Daggerfall.

And at least as far as I can tell, Camlorn was something made after the events of Daggerfall. I can't even search up a town of the same name in any kingdom I checked.

>Camlorn was something made after the events of Daggerfall
Probably, but we wouldn't see it anyway. It's not on the Bay.

Here's how the Warp in the West put it:

>Wayrest spreads across the eastern coast of the Bay, stretching from the land formerly called Anticlere to half of Gauvadon [sic]. Eadwyre has passed on to his ancestors, leaving his kingdom in the hands of his daughter, Elysana, who has two children by her royal consort, and seems likely to hold her father's lands. Your Lordship may also choose to communicate directly with King Helseth and Queen Barenziah in Mournhold. Their primary preoccupations are, of course, with Morrowind's affairs, but they may still have useful observations upon Wayrest's ruling families and political environment that may aid you in your understanding of the court of Queen Elysana.
>King Gortwog of Orsinium controls much of the Wrothgarian Mountains as well as the profitable rivercoast of the Bjoulsae. He persists in his demands that Orsinium be recognized as an Imperial province separate from High Rock. The Elder Council treats Gortwog as a recognized king, and collects taxes directly from Orsinium, but officially Orsinium remains a county of High Rock, though technically it spans both the provinces of High Rock and Hammerfell.
>Sentinel has gained the most land, sprawling across the entire southern Iliac Bay from Abibon-Gora, beyond the Dragontail Mountains, to the edge of Mournoth, Orsinium's territory. >Queen Akorithi at her death left her enormous kingdom to her only surviving son, Lhotun, who is now surely one of the most powerful kings in Tamriel.
>Daggerfall is still ruled by the Breton King Gothryd and the Redguard Queen Aubk-I. Their land now encompasses all of western High Rock, from the border they share with Wayrest at Anticlere to the east, to Ykalon to the north. They have four children now, and are much beloved in their realm.

Oh fuck, you're right. I'm a humongous faggot who didn't realize it was in Arena.

>King Gortwog of Orsinium controls much of the Wrothgarian Mountains
>Wrothgarians reach into Phrygias

It never says he controlled all of the Wrothgarian Mountains. It's kind of a point of doubt if he controls Phrygias, because the Daggerfall area stretches up to Ykalon, but it doesn't mention if Ykalon borders Wayrest or Orsinium.

Yeah, If I were to worship any Daedra it would be Azura or Sanguine simply because those afterlives.

Malacath is an obvious choice for the next ES game because it's gonna be shit.

Camlorn was in Arena

Are Arena/Daggerfall worth playing?

Yes, or at least Daggerfall.
I like both, but Arena is more skippable.

Arena not so much, but yes, Daggerfall is. It's really only surpassed by Morrowind IMHO.
Also, here you go.

>Arena
Nah. Made completely obsolete by Daggerfall.
>Daggerfall
I'd say so yes.
Both games are completely clunky and archaic though so just know what you're getting into.

Arena is alright if you don't mind not being able to change controls. Daggerfall is good if you like a challenge.

Arena is easier to get into, playing it will help you get acquainted with Daggerfall.

>caution, cars might spontaneously self-combust

It's not stated, but I believe Orcish control is much more likely than it being under Wayrest, given the fact that part of the Wrothgarians lie in it, and that it's not on the Bay.

See

That map is based on the same sources we're talking about. There's nothing that specifically mentions who owns Phrygias. The map is just the guess at someone over at UESP.
And before anyone mentions that it might be in the Daggerfall Companion, I've read that thing, and it's not there.

Either way, it's not super important, I just think it falling to the Orcs is the most reasonable assumption.

The Warp in the West clearly says that Orsinium gets the Bjoulsae river and Mournoth, causing it to stretch across High Rock and into Hammerfell.

Given that Wayrest is said to 'spread across the eastern coast,' I'm willing to concede that.

Who is that and what did he do?

Old narrator for the Open MW release videos. Recently had to step down due to life.
youtu.be/WSr3k9ubR7w

I remember him from Morrowind

Hey guys, what is CHIM?

Controlled Hyper Intelligence Memes.

Correctly Hearing Internal Motivations

In-game reason for console commands and mods

Can someone please explain to me why these guys winning is a good thing? I pretty naturally gravitate to the empire, and I've never had a stormcloak supporter give me an explanation beyond "MUH TALOS!"

If we could do this without a flame war, that'd be lovely.

Cis Heterosexuals Internalize Misogyny

There is no good fucking side to take here.
Stormfags are retarded and Talos literally said Empire will fall soon.

>post controversial subject
>"if we could do this without arguing it would be great"
The real question is this:
Why do you even care?

Purely because I've never heard any stormcloak players make a serious case beyond screaming about talos and freedom and shit, then when you ask them how the stormcloaks will handle the entire freaking dominion marching into skyrim, they suspiciously stop replying. I know there has to be at least some stormcloak supporters out there who have thought things through, and I'd like to hear from them.

The Stormcloaks winning might be a good thing, it might be a bad thing. The Empire winning might be a good thing, it might be a bad thing. The future is uncertain, but Bethesda clearly wanted to present the war as having no "right" side The player choosing who they think is right or wrong based off of their personal opinion. An opinion based off of in game experiences. Off of what you hear, what you see and what you read about each side.

I personally side with the Stormcloaks.

>how the stormcloaks will handle the entire freaking dominion marching into skyrim
The same way Hammerfell handled them.

When did Talos say that?

in marrorwang

What is the "correct" choice not a question that has an answer until Bethesda determines the future of Tamriel.
As of now, it's only really a question of roleplaying, and what certain characters would support.

>The same way Hammerfell handled them.
Not the same situation. Hammerfell fought a smaller army that was never reinforced because the imperial legions and reinforcements from skyrim started pushing back in Cyrodiil. Do you really think a lone Cryrodiil will be able to fight off the dominion when the entire united empire almost lost the first time? Don't compare apples and oranges.
>The outcome of things might be good or bad, and my choice is based off my thoughts and experiences.
>my choice is based off my experience
Yeah, thanks for that, because that's not true of literally every single person who's ever played the game or anything.

What I was looking for was more specific examples as to why.

Well, I look at it this way
The stormcloaks didn't try to fucking murder me just for happening to be in the same general area empire
It's a horrible way to start a game and honestly both sides are trash, but the opening happened and i carry a grudge for good reason

>my grudge is more important than humanity's survival
Congratulations, you just perfectly summed up the stormcloak faction's mentality.

I prefer to think of it as Telvanni mentality.

>Altmer want to revert existence
>humanity can't survive without banana cock down their throats
lol

>the entire united empire almost lost the first time?
Depends on who you ask. Like I said in my other post >mfw I got 2 (you)'s what you think is based off of what you experienced. Some NPCs are optimistic about the AD's power during the great war, others are more pessimistic about it. Stormcloaks (such as myself) believes the Empire didn't almost lose the great war, they almost won it, or I should say, they almost won it unconditionally. They blame the Empire's poor leadership for the white gold concordat, not the Thalmor's strength. Again, it depends on what you read/hear/see in game.

>almost won it unconditionally.
Woah, dude, what? The empire's military was in tatters at the end of the great war. If it was a victory, it was a Pyrrhic one.

>Skyrim can defeat the Dominion alone
kek

What question is that. It better not just be what the skooma addict spy was babbling about

Yeah, guess they're impossible to beat, not like a certain darker race did it already or anything
Nope, that didn't happen, better bend over and slit the throats of anyone who believes in a certain divine

>civil war
Jesus Christ how uninteresting.

What do we know about the legality of Deadric Cults in various regions of Tamriel at various points in time. Some regions obviously allow it, like Morrowind, Orsinium, and Elsweyr, but in the Empire it's more interesting. The first ed of the Pocket Guide has the "16 acceptable Blasphemes", and invocations to all the Princes.
The idea of an Imperial City with the Nine Divines, Deadra Cults, and various local and foreign cults all co-existing is pretty interesting.

Also, Lawrence "Loremeister" Schick posts on /r/teslore now. Sometomes.
Barring ESO, I miss developer interaction with the fanbase. It was so much more common in the past, and it barely happens now. Especially not with active developers. ESO is the only branch of TES that's currently interacting with places like /r/teslore and The Imperial Library.
>he refers to an obvious lore mistake as a "transcription error"
>memes become reality

>what is wulf

>The empire's military was in tatters at the end of the great war.
Depends on who you ask. I remember hearing an NPC say something about how the Empire stabbed all the people who worked so hard driving the elves out of Cyrodiil in the back by signing the treaty. How they could have invaded the Dominion and finished them off.

Whether the signing of the white gold concordat was the right thing to do is a very controversial subject to say the least.

>not like a certain darker race did it already or anything
>implying it was just the redguards that beat them
>implying the army in Hammerfell wasn't a smaller force
>implying the desert didn't do half the work for them
>implying skyrim alone can defeat the entire dominion because hammerfell beat one splinter army
I almost wonder if Skyrim doesn't allow it to some extent. Think of all the daedric shrines around skyrim, huge conspicuous things that aren't exactly hidden.

"Oi, lars, you see that big statue of Mehrunes Dagon on the cliff above Morthal there? S-Should we do something about that?"

"No, that's just some trees"

"But lars,its cle-"

"IT'S JUST TREES"

I believe Legate Justianus Quintius is considerably more more reliable than some ass-backwards Nord.
It's like asking a high-ranking member of the German military, who has done research using sources from both sides, and some random civilian, about why Germany lost the Great War. One of the will know the reality of the situation, and the other will grumble something about "muh dagger in muh back" and "muh jews".

Okay... How about the Imperial officers, many of whom fought in the great war, who say that the empire needs to be united for the next war?

How about General Tullius, the man with access to all imperial reports about aldmeri strengt, saying that Skyrim alone could never beat the dominion alone?

This.

You said it better than I did.

>more reliable than some ass-backwards Nord.
Nah, it was someone who used to in the Imperial Legion, someone who fought in the great war.

I don't think someone like Galmar Stone-Fist would just rebel against the Empire based off of nothing. Clearly he believes an independent Skyrim has a chance against the Thalmor. The Civil war is a lot like a schism within the Empire's military.

Tell me more cool things about dunmeri culture.

They're big whores and will fuck anyone, even you

I didn't think this meme would leave /tesg/.

In Vivec there are gondola ferrymen who will transport you to different parts of the city across its mer-made canals for a small sum. They have cool hats.

Is it possible for someone from Tamriel to meet someone from Akavir in an Oblivion realm? I was thinking about it and I didn't run into any snake people in the Shivering Isles.

>even you
Don't flatter yourself.

It's a lore meme, not a tesg meme.

I thought that was just Barenziah.

Horses are meals, not mounts
Everyone is an n'wah, but some are more n'wah than others

Sorry, I don't come to these threads very often, but could you please tell me more about bonewalkers and how "necromancy" is handled in Morrowind and the east in general? /tesg/ has told me that it's much different.

>Clearly he believes an independent Skyrim has a chance against the Thalmor
And the fact that he believes that doesn't mean he's right in that belief. His actions aren't based off nothing, but that doesn't mean the base is worth anything.

Clearly someone in the Japanese Navy though they would win in the Pacific, but that doesn't mean the war was ever realistically winnable. Clearly someone in the German military though the Great War wasn't actually a colossal defeat for Germany.

Furthermore, the fact that something is controversial doesn't mean that there isn't a correct answer. The vaccines are somehow controversial several places, but all that doubt isn't really going to alter the reality of the situation.

That said, I'm open to agreeing to disagree here. The topic really doesn't interest me, and I'd hate it for another Civil War discussion to dominate part of the thread.