Heavy Gear General

Heavy Gear is a game set in the far future based on the planet Terra Nova. The setting is home to a war game, RPG, Video Game, movie, and TV series.
>Website
dp9.com/
>RPG Developer Website
arkritepress.com/
>Books
mega.nz/#F!aMEziYQL!7lUPbf7rKMvwnXuqEvP8zg!bEdzjC4R
Heavy Gear Wiki
>hgwiki.net/Main_Page
1d4chan Page (Needs more stuff)
>1d4chan.org/wiki/Heavy_Gear
Drivethru RPG free rules download
>drivethrurpg.com/product/144759/Heavy-Gear-Blitz-Tabletop-Wargaming--Living-Rulebook

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8KQdl5k3y0E
toonova.com/heavy-gear-episode-1
drivethrurpg.com/product/130408/Rumble-in-the-Jungle
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Heavy gear Test pilot rules

I would like to try it out but comp cant handle it along with the cost of getting into it.

Thanks for this!

your welcome, enjoy. I have been really pushing lately for more heavy gear stuff to be talked about on Veeky Forums especially since we now have the new kickstarter plastics and the rpg kicking around. It is a good game with a good setting, and has 20 years behind it, even if it has been a third string game behind the other big ones,

FUCK, kickstarter 2nd wave shipement WHEN!

Did you guys see the assembly guide DP9 put out for the new plastics? Actually pretty cool, and has tips for pinning and magnetizing Caprice mounts.

I've been running through the rules again getting ready to demo. Only things I'm having trouble with is Electronic Warfare and I can't find anything on what Link does.

probably next month to be honest.

No do you have screenshots or a pdf of it? I would like to see.

Here's a quick screenshot from my phone.

It's a free download on drivethrurpg.

Oh that is really neat, a lot of people have been waiting and like to see what the spru looks like so thank you for that.

No problem, glad to help!

I'm just hoping with the plastics it'll get people interested. The plastic starters are pretty solid deals(except the CEF in my opinion).

Yea that is what you said last thread, but that is alright, who needs those no good dirty earthers.

I do find it funny though basically it is russia that took over the earth.

The tabks are fine, aside from being hollow on the bottom, but the Frames have some detail issues.

Granted the only things from the CEF stuff I wanted were the tanks, so not a huge loss.

I like to think less "GLORIOUS MOTHER RUSSIA!" and more east Europe. Mostly because I hate that every game feels the need to cram Russians, or some approximation thereof, in. Also I like the idea of Earth being run by Polish folks.

I wonder if they successfully removed kebab when they conquered the earth

Moscow is literally gone in HG's Earth anyway, nuked to oblivion like half of Earth's major cities.

it always seems like Earth is a pretty terrible place by the time a DP9 setting gets rolling.

Hold the fucking phone, did someone really make a tv show about giant robot pilots? Is it any good?

sort of, it went on for like 40 episodes but was a kids show through and through.

Yeah, they do have a habit of that.

In awful 90's CGI and everything.

An Ice age can do that to you, not to mention the constant war as well

One thing I am really liking is that the rifles for infantry are basically all bullpup in design, I really like bullpup rifles so that is a huge plus for me.

Probably should have linked the intro to the TV show, the CGI is not too terrible.

youtube.com/watch?v=8KQdl5k3y0E

Thank you for that you glorious faggot.
Heavy Gear is great and thanks to the shilling I'm now aware. Now how do I fund small scale movements to Ireland.

You are welcome. Enjoy the game

toonova.com/heavy-gear-episode-1

So I forgot how cheesy this show was, I love it.

Man I've tried rewatching it and I just can't. Same with Battletech. I get like two or three episodes in and I have to stop.

Honestly the worst part is the guns which juust fire with no effect most of the time.

>Man I've tried rewatching it and I just can't. Same with Battletech.

I take it you've seen VOTOMS already?

Yeah, but not in a long while.

I think Heavy Gear lends itself well to a show or novels. It's got enough going on to offer plenty of complex characters and twists.

Hell; after I get my books off the ground I'd love to write Heavy Gear novels myself. Wrote one for NaNoWriMo some years back which will be the inspitation for my PRDF.

A heavy gear novel may be interesting to read, but as far as I know that is not an avenue that DP9 has explored.

Which if you think about it is extremly funny, they basically have explored every option for heavy gear, board games, movies, video games, war games, RPGs, and a TV show. But can not find any novels.

My squad of Jagers, all built up. Biggest pain in the ass were a few tough spots to clean and getting weapons into hands properly.

From left to right: Brawler, Command, Striking and Stock.

The bazooka on my Striking isn't sitting flush on the shoulder, which made my initial pose for it not work. I also have a fresh thing of glue so it dries damn near instantly which made lining things up a bit tricky at points.

Otherwise these were a joy to assemble, which gives me hope for the rest of my models.

Next up is probably my Black Mambas or my Spitting Cobras.

What book after the 3e players handbook should one read to get more information about the setting?

Looking cool, probably the black mamba though because I hear it is one of your better gears.

Last thread the 2e Life on Terra Nova and Technical Manual were recommended.

Well I plan to build both, just debating what order to do them in. Granted with the Mambas I jave some more options simply due to having more models.

One of my Spitting Cobras is totally going to be a Junglemower Support. HRC and a field gun? Yes please.

What supplement introduced the Golems for the Eden people? All I have seen so far in life on eden and vehicle companion was a signle APE one.

Please help, /hgg/, I have no idea what I'm doing. Is this list shit? Did I make any mistakes?
Blitz July rulebook (think it's the latest?) Peace River Badlands Militia sub-force, for reference

Sorry about the format, the force record sheet pdf I have can't be filled in.

How long has this been in development?

Is there any hope of getting a full release or should I stick with 2nd edition?

Ummmm looks to be about a year, development really only kicked off last year for the 20th anniversary, Currently it is in its 2nd stage, but do not hold your breath as the RPG is not a real focus for anyone, the main designers are doing this as a side job, I believe they work for DP9 which is also trying to get out the new minis and finish off their latest beta.

In conclusion, it is being worked on. But maybe stick to 2nd ed for now.

Looks good to me.

Looks fine to me. I was going to say needs more firepower for fighting heavy stuff and then I noticed the Kodiak there.

How did you make that list? Just type it out, or did you find some sore of force builder for the new edition?

Is that user who bought into the RPG test around? Is there any new info from the super seekrit test pilot forum or is the game as dead as Arkrite's news feed?

Cheers, anons

Yeah just typed it out in a plain text editor and exported to pdf. Straight up copy and pasted the unit stats from the rulebooks and then moved some stuff around, changed font size etc. to make it look okay.
A force builder would be fantastic but considering the small fanbase and rulebook still being in testing phase and prone to changes, doubt anyone'll make one.

user here, the forum has some activity but it is slow. I am seeing at least a few posts by the test pilots every few days at the very least. The current thing going around is a couple of groups are running test games, and the vehicle construction rules are the biggest discussion going on right now.

So still pretty much just in the 2nd phase still.

Well if I can shill enough for this game to get people into it. After the official release of the rules we can try to do a force builder.

Right on, I'd help make it but I don't know how to any kind of programming. I discovered Heavy Gear because of the generals so yeah, shillins' good

Tactica question. Is it a bad idea to stack 3 whole actions on to a model like I did with the Kodiak? I kinda get the feeling that Duelists are more of a thing you do for the bad-ass factor more than anything anyway so it doesn't matter too much.

Also will the Spitz bikers be at all effective against armoured threats with their light shaped charges?

Now still learning the game myself so by no means a vet, but I would treat your kodiak just like a death star unit, high point cost and high damage, but able to take out a lot of people if positioned right and supported.

There was Gear Garage back in the old edition. Hopefully it gets updated for the new one.

Sadly I have zero programming skill. Maybe I'll try and make one for BattleScribe.

Do the devs have any involvement at all or are the test pilots the only ones desperately trying to keep the game afloat?

I do not really see anything from the Devs, however one of my first posts was complaining about lack of communication, one of the test pilots apparently talked to the Devs at GenCon and they said the next update will be out this month, and there should be more coming out soon as well.

I think JAson and Greg also work for DP9 and have been working on Heavy Gear blitz as well as helping get the kickstarter out the door.

Hopefully now that the Kickstarter stuff is starting to ship and blitz is on its way to being done we will see more updates.

We've been told the next update would be "this month" or "next month" by people who have "talked to the devs." For the last 6 months.

I'll believe it when I see it.

> Brandon F (yesterday)
>Alright, folks. Injury and Damage is finished. Also, Experience is finished. I've sent them to Jason and Greg, and they will have their own look-see over everything.

>Sorry that I missed my deadline for today to share it with you all, but I wanted to keep you up to date. Next is Weapons.

Where did you find that?

3 actions on a single Gear can work if you can use it to lay down lots of fire. Not entirely sure how well, but you should be able to use plenty of options there.

As for the monowheels...I don't know. I imagine against light armor like light trooper Gears and some of the smaller tanks, maybe against stuff like FLAILs and Golems and whatnot they would do better.

Heavy Gear novels may be the way to go, for me the only way I learned about 40k/WHFB was through browsing the novels at my local Barnes&Noble.

There is a novel. Rumble in the Jungle.

I suppose I should see if I can find it then.

Yea the novels are a good way to get into 40k

test pilot forums.

all this time i could have posted a screen

Huh not sure what thread that was in but will look through them again

Oh this is a neat pic

Huh, never knew. I'll have to see jf I can find a copy.

drivethrurpg.com/product/130408/Rumble-in-the-Jungle

I am debating if I want to buy this, but I already bought the test pilot. May just wait till next month.

Warrior Heavy Gear, the main Gear of Peace River

Bump again.

Peace River has the best shit. The Catapracht, Crusader IV and RedBull are just awesome.

Yea the three armies I want are the North, Peace river, and Eden. Peace river has probably some of the better basic troopers, although they are somewhat slow.

>Catapracht
This was the beginning of the end.

BTW are DP9 forcing the new RPG to be in their current HG timeline? I think last thing I heard about new HG was the Dreadnought project about spacelifting landships to other planets or something. Not sure how they fly without TN's weird magnetic field though.

Found a bigger pic of that new landship.

No idea what the timeline is for the new RPG I will take a look to see if I can find mention of it, but landship wise they are shrinking down the size of the Landships and dividing them into parts so they can be built on another system.

They are trying to figure out how to make the landships work on other planets, but I honestly think it may just be a ton of hover tech into them due to their new smaller size.

I used to make the previous string of HG Generals. Glad to see it's back for a bit.
Also glad to see JC is making a bit of a comeback.

Peace River, Caprice and South here.

There's nothing wrong with the Catapracht. It's been around for a long time and was Peace River's alternative to having tanks.

As for the landship thing, I don't know. I think is right, though, that they're more just big hover ships than landships proper. Do we know if Dreadnoughts will be anything other than on Terra Nova?

I'm stoked for JC to return, too. Brings a smile to my face.

I believe the forum post stated that it would be available on other planets through the black talons stuff.

last bump for the night for me,

Did you magnitize your caprice mounts like you thought you were going to do?

>There's nothing wrong with the Catapracht. It's been around for a long time and was Peace River's alternative to having tanks.
Catapracht itself is fine, but even JBuckmaster is a little unhappy with how that turned into every faction having a Catapracht.

>Do we know if Dreadnoughts will be anything other than on Terra Nova?
If Robert's statement is still true. He said the Terranovans need to work on calibrating the grav units to work offworld.

At least it's not Palladium.

Anyone knows if the caprice mounts have a skeleton drawing like ??

Looks like it doers not, you can find artwork of them though in t he art book 3, with some of the old t ype of mounts in 2. The old mounts looked like really squat Gears.

Haven't even started assdmbly of my Caprice stuff. So far all I've built is an Iguana and my 4 Jagers. Not sure if I'll actually magnetize them, as thag would require me buying magnets and a pin drill.

Yeah, I think everyone getting Gearstriders was a bit silly. Thankfully I can mostly ignore them, and only focus on the Catapracht.

Well at least they aren't just going "landships work everywhere now, lol!" It certainly seems like they're at least trying to explain it in fluff.

Not that I ever saw. I was hoping that when they were doing army books they'd get to Caprice and we'd get some more art.

I am hoping that we will get books for every faction. Or at the very least info on their units with a more in depth look at them. What they have been doing with some of the older books with a brief rundown of their capabilities, how they got developed, and how they are deployed is a pretty decent read. All within a few paragraphs as well.

Does anyone know if there was a write up about the Lion Gear outside of the books?

DP9 has traditionally been just as bad as Palladium, and we've no reason to believe Arkrite will be any different either.

So I am kind of new to the entire heavy gear stuff, what seems to be the problem with DP9?

Not quite
DP9's incompetent. I liked HG:Blitz, but they didn't understand math at all (+1 modifiers to hit are better than all but humongous boosts to damage), and that Indirect Fire with MRPs are the most broken thing in the world, especially when cheaply linked...
Also when questioned, they're horribly defensive and rely on a white knight corps to cover up openly dumb actions.

Palladium though, are both incompetent AND criminal. They're downright open thieves. And require a desperate white knight corps to fellate their ability to be half a decade behind on a project.

How are you finding the beta then? Did they fix some of those issues?

So the only difference then is Palladium did illegal shit. Ok, so then DP9 is ALMOST as bad as Palladium.