/bgg/

Board Game General
Why even bother edition

Previous casualty Links and shit - pastebin.com/NA2W929q

I'm bored as fuck, had to work on sunday, so why the hell not.

>What did you get to play this weekend (if at all)?
>What has boardgaming taught you over the years?
>You get ONE gaming related wish, what is it?

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/overplayedpodcast/nightmare
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Got to play Apples to Apples for the first time in forever with some friends, which was pretty nice.
Some people strategize too much.
The every other night was game night, and that my friends and I were all free more often.

Also, are there any good games that can be run for around 6 players? We've got most of the basics and were planning on trying out some more complex stuff.

is Escape actually fun? I know tons of people love it, but whenever I watch a video of it I just feel like I wouldn't enjoy it.
to be fair I've not played real time games, but the super frantic games like Space Alert and Escape look like they'd be too much for me, while a game like Fuse seems a bit more my speed

First full game of Keyflower in the bag. Had an easier time teaching it than I thought I would.
Strategies all around were shaky to say the least, and we all played nice instead of trying to fuck people over. I think that'll change now that we have a feel for how the game works.
Will definitely recommend if you're into eurogames.

Math is everywhere. Play is necessary for sanity. I will never understand people, but one's gotta deal with them.

Wish I could live off of the hobby.

I don't enjoy being rushed. Real time games ain't my jam.

>Also, are there any good games that can be run for around 6 players?

Rex is excellent with 6 players.

Fury of the Dracula with 9 players, two players to a character. Was fucking chaotic but fun. Won as Dracula by the skin of my teeth and only because of an early fuck up. Hiding out on that little island and then using Wolf Form from sea really got my ass out of a bind.

Being able to lose with grace and humour is a key life lesson. And always get the chance to play games with your parents when you can, because you won't always get to.

As lame as it sounds, one more game with my dad.

>Always get the chance to play games with your parents when you can, because you won't always get to.
>one more game with my dad.

Goddamn it, user, that hit home hard. Dad's getting old and he wears my patience out...
Gotta spend some more time with him.

Fuck you, user, I didn't need these feels.
Also, thank you.

>really liked One Night Ultimate Werewolf
>didn't like the expansion; relics ruined the flow
>really liked Love Letter
>liked Coup
>likewise Coup's expansion kind of ruined the flow, but it's still pretty good
>Hanabi is good but is very group dependent
>Sushi Go is good but too simple

I have these on my interest list:

- Mascarade
- Skull
- Lost Legacy

Any of these you suggest or perhaps some others you can think of? We like games of bluffing, deduction, logic.

>very often we play 2 people
>often we play 3 or 4 people
>we sometimes play 5 people
>almost never do we go 6 people
>never ever >6 people

>Being able to lose with grace and humour is a key life lesson.

Only for losers...

Codenames
Ca$h & Guns

I would say you should get Mascarade right away since you like ONUW, but it's best with more players. I'd never play it with 2 and even 4 is just barely cutting it.

Codenames is great, but again it's best with 4+ people. I think it's worth owning since literally anyone can enjoy playing it. it's a good game at 4, and a fantastic game at 6 or 8

So how does a winner react when he loses?
>inb4 never lose. That's bullshit and you know it

With grace and humor. It's just a game, after all.

>get to play
The King Is Dead
Keyflower
Castles of Burgandy
Arcadia Quest + Beyond the Grave
skipped the meetup today because meh it's going downhill. I might go tomorrow instead
>what has it taught me
Value your friends. Seriously. You need to keep in touch with the people you like for this whole hobby to work
>one wish
someone in my area invites me to a game of Megacivilization
It's not for everyone but it was fun that one time. Probably loses its luster after a few plays though

>Bluffing, deduction, logic

Like Sushi Go, but deeper - 7 Wonders (plays 3 to 7 beautifully)
Paranoia and fingerpointing - The Resistance, Shadows over Camelot, Dead of Winter, Secret Hitler
Bluffing and bluff-calling - Liar's Dice, Mafia de Cuba, Two Rooms and a Boom
Trying to keep a straight face while roleplaying a smuggling baker - Sheriff of Nottingham
Manhunt - Mr Jack, Sherlock Holmes Consultant Detective, Letters from Whitechapel, Fury of Dracula

If you're ok with a generic anime look, and something a bit heavier than your usual games, Tragedy Looper is a 3v1 game where the 3 players are trying to figure out a set of predetermined NPC roles. The solo player has access to nearly all information in the game, and is actively working to hinder their efforts. It is a game of deduction and logic (for the 3 players). Not really bluffing for the solo player, but lots of misdirection.

I've been describing that as one person laughing maniacally while the rest play the sort of deduction game clue wishes it could be.

Fucking love it but it's pretty stressful for the mastermind. My best friend screwed up the first time he tried mastermind and we won on the first loop. He now refuses to mastermind. Luckily I enjoy being mastermind and have been pretty good at making the games very close every time. I just need a lot of cool down after because I feel the pressure to give the other players a fun experience. New scripts when

which co-op dungeon crawling card game is the best?
warhammer quest, pathfinder, or lord of the rings?

obviously lord of the rings wins replay value with its billions of expansions, but warhammer quest seems like it's the best mechanically

How do you guys pitch a game that you know has solid mechanics but incredibly weak theme to your group? I had trouble pitching and explaining Cthulhu Realms to my friends that the app came out before I could physically play it (they enjoyed it once they played it though, and got the app for themselves), and Arboretum is looking like another one that I'll have trouble with. Any tips other than saying 'we're building a park with trees!'?

There's a rumor FFG might stop releasing Warhammer products, so be wary of that too. Arkham Horror LCG is also a co-op game coming out this year.

>I'm bored as fuck, had to work on sunday, so why the hell not.
I did too :s

>>What did you get to play this weekend (if at all)?
Played my first game of libertalia, just bought it, only played once though. Played cosmic encounter twice. Played dixit once. Played king of tokyo a bunch of times. Recently bought dark moon and hoping to play it soon but probably wont be able to due to not having time or the right group.

>>What has boardgaming taught you over the years?
I only started boardgaming "seriously" thsi last june, so up until then it wasnt really a hobby if mine and i mainly played monopoly, and cards against humanity.
I guess id say its taught me that there's always more to the story if you're willing to read into things. Its also taught me that games arent themselves fun but are the vessels through which people can unlock their fun potential, not sure how much sense that makes... lol surely i have more to learn.

>>You get ONE gaming related wish, what is it?
This one is easy for me because i wish for this everyday and that is to have a gamer group of friends. Im not lonely or anything, i have friends, they just aren't as interested in games as i am. I want a group of friends with whom i could meet regularly to play board games! I wanna be able to finally play descent 2.0 and TI3. I want to have friends who are into the hibby and will have their own games, and possibly be willing to all chip in to buy games together as sort of a community game. I want to meet people who are excited to learn a new game.

Im looking forward to hearing others answers

My one wish is for Asmodee to lose all financial backing and collapse so we don't end up with needless price hikes.

Not a single one.

No one really cares that much or even remembers who won whatever game however long ago, but everyone remembers a well-timed stab in the back.

To never need a game that's out of print.

>Also, are there any good games that can be run for around 6 players? We've got most of the basics and were planning on trying out some more complex stuff.

>Rex
I've actually only played Dune which Rex is based on, but what I've heard is that Rex is also a great game. I'd recommend Dune, but finding a copy can be hard and/or expensive, and imo there needs to be a few added house rules. Also this game only really shines at 6 players.

>Dominant Species
Pretty heavy worker placement euro with some bite. At 6 players this game more or less becomes a game of how much of an asshole you can be to the other players while covering your own ass. Works very well from 4-6 players imo, never played it with less.

>Struggle of Empires
Euro with some wargaming elements from what I remember, haven't played this in a long while but it was fun, that much I remember. At 7 players (max count) it could get a bit drawn out though, given negotiations and bickering at the table. Great with 5-7 players.

>Here I Stand
Not "more complex" but rather a hell of a lot more complex, but worth a mention anyway. Another game that shines at 6 players.

>Antike II
Euro with some combat. Not played this game for a while, though that's been more of a player count issue.

>Citadels
Actually not that complex, but a really fun little card/bluffing/city building game. At 6 players if you play it as two teams vs each other it gets really fun imo. Thought it merited a mention.

>Mare Nostrum: Empires + Atlas
Only played the old MN, and this seems even better given the rules changes.

Stockpile

So I finally got around to playing an acquaintance's Kingdom Death game. I liked it, but not as much as I'd hoped.

Amongst other things, it just felt a bit too slow. I was the only new player, the others had all played quite a few games and we got through 5 years in 6 or so hours. What's usual for you?

I'd like it more solo, or even as a videogame, though it'd lose its uniqueness and just be another dark fantasy roguelike then.

>What did you get to play this weekend (if at all) ?
Shadows of Brimstone solo.
Well, I'm a sore loser, but playing with other sore losers taught me to better myself. I dunno how people can even stand this shit.
Just want to play more often, also, side wish : I wish I wasnt the one who had to learn all the rules. Yeah, that's two, but first one is boring.

I FUCKING LOVE ESCAPE. But if you dont like what you see in the vids, you probably wont like it. It's exactly how it looks. One of my top 10 games to be perfectly honest.

I like playing cosmic encounters with 6 players. Can't think of anything else, usually the group is 5 players max.

Nothing over the weekend (I decided not to go to my regular meetup, on account of just not feeling it) but I did get to play Sentinels of the Multiverse last Thursday. Have to say, it was better than I expected - kinda reminiscent of Legendary, but it had its own little twists.
How to lose graciously.
That I had enough time and friends to play all the games in my collection.
I'm not a big fan of THROW DICE THROW DICE RUSH RUSH RUSH ISN'T THIS FUN games, but you should at least try it.

>everyone remembers a well-timed stab in the back.
Amen brotha.

Then there are "20 years from then, we still share a laugh" backstabs, and there are "friendship ruined forever" backstabs. which are sorta funny too in sort of a bitter way

Nada

I'm a worse strategist/tactician than I think of myself.
Having an insane dedicated group of people to sperg out with.

Friday Twilight Struggle and teaching Great War, Neurshima Hex. Saturday couple of games of King of Tokyo ditto Scythe

I'm somewhat prone to accidental elementary error

that VR tabletop or 'holotable' becomes a real affordable thing.

>A big co-op BSG or Eldritch Horror works ok.

So far Captain Sonar and Dead Last - both still riding early play hype, but I think they'll stay very solid. Maybe some more games tonight.
This guy and this guy this guy have all mine.
Just more gaming, and more people to share it with.

>6 players
is dead right with Rex, best thing I've ever played for six.

Mascarade is great. Skull is too simple, but works well, try it with playing cards. If your group was bigger, I'd suggest Mafia de Cuba in a heartbeat, but it doesn't really turn on until six. I might try One Night Revolution, it's pretty similar to ONUW, but is a bit more complicated of a brain teaser, takes a lot of work and trust to untangle that game, even with as few as four or five. Also Melee, for a quick dudes-on-a-map with bluffing elements that works great at 2-4.

Soon. There's also a site where people can upload custom scripts but no-one uses it.

bump

A couple of anons mentioned Keyflower. It scales very well from 2 to 6. Sweet spot is 4, I think.

>open BGG
>scythe rank: 15
When this meme end?

This, love the artists work but the game seems very uninspired to me

Scythe is shit?

Literally Eurogame#65535
Art is AMAZING
But the whole game is just a combined of popular mechanics
Especially the rule of fighting is a big failed to me
Why I have to suffer penalty if I win a battle
That's make no sense to the theme

It's seem like any KS game will get automatically +1 rating in BGG nowadays

People not liking you for kicking them out of their workplace is against the theme?

Maybe when Pandemic Cashgrab #139 gets the boot too.

>Why I have to suffer penalty if I win a battle
>That's make no sense to the theme
civilian casualties are not a route to popularity

fight where citizens aren't

Thanks, didn't realize I could already pre-order.

How old must a game be to be considered 'cult of the new'? 2 years? 5 years?

when I think cult of the new I think typically not older than 2 years. most often they're kickstarter games and they haven't even hit full retail yet. like scythe

Wouldn't 'Brand new' and 'Over-hyped' make it "Cult of the new" and not something 2 to 5 years old.

>>You get ONE gaming related wish, what is it?
to have a poster sized roll-up/folding touchscreen so I can carry infinite games around with computer ruletracking and instant setup and takedown.

I'm considering getting mice and mystics and pandemic legacy for coop games. I think they're pretty safe bets, but any opinions here?

Mice and Mystics is hit or miss. If you like the theme, enjoy storytelling and don't mind a couple of mechanical flaws, it might suit you nicely. Good for playing with kids, too.

If you're a nitpicker that obsesses over perfect mechanics and can't into game immersion, you'd probably best avoid it.

In case any of you are interested, my friends and I run a podcast where we play through video games in one sitting, then talk about it.

This week we played the VHS board game Nightmare!

soundcloud.com/overplayedpodcast/nightmare

Also I'd love to talk about VHS board games more if anyone is interested

Game's shit. But I love it. It's one of the only "nostalgia" games that I still play from time to time. I have Nightmare II through IV, the harbingers, the soul rangers, and both DVD games.

Might listen to your podcast when I'm painting minis.

Yeah, it's definitely not amazing. Pretty much a mediocre game in which a man yells at you. We have all the expansions too but only played the base game and II for this podcast. Are any of the others good?

I guess, yeah, hype is more of a factor in cult of the new.
But I think it's interesting that around 22% of the top 500 games in BGGs ranking were released in 2014 or later. 30% if you go back to 2013.

On the contrary, Scythe's battle system is great. Unless you want a dedicated war game, in which case why are you playing Scythe?

They're pretty much more of the same. Part IV (Elisabeth Bathory) has a reputation for being impossible to win. I only played it once (and yes, we lost)

Atmosfear the Harbingers has some mechanical improvements but the tape is sort of meh. The Soul Rangers adds a few fun things like card based combat and the tape is hilarously awful. Crazy 90's bordering on the acid trip.

The "gatekeeper" dvd game a pretty cool update of the original, pretty much the exact same game, but the dvd has multiple outcomes so you never get the exact same game twice. Never played the Khufu dvd game, I'm a frenchfag, and the english dvd is a tough sell for most of my friends.

Honestly, we lost at the original and part II so I'm surprised it only gets harder (seemingly). The second one was so fucking chaotic near the end that it was almost unplayable.

if you are for a gargantuan afternoon and 9 hours of battle, check out Twilight Imperium 3

Holy shit yeah. I remember the sequel some voodoo zombie baron and the 3rd a witch?

I don't find that surprising - many of the older games are unknown to the newer 'internet generation' and for the most part unavailable except as the odd deal on Ebay or elsewhere. Seeing new games up near the top just tells me that those who vote are often the newer players who are excited about their 'new thing'.

Tabletop simulator with oculus rift. There you go

Was thinking about this but is it really practical or some novelty you'd revert from after a few games?

BGG Rankings need to die.

It's plagued by the Cult of the New, biased ratings due to limited audiences for some games, biased ratings before the game is available retail, and generally shit taste from the gaming community.

Plus, I don't know if this is just confirmation bias from myself, but a lot of board gamers seem to not want to take risks and just want to follow a leader, if that makes sense. Board game podcasts/shows seem to hold way too much sway over the community at large, which sometimes leads to weird self-fulfilling loops. Tom Vasel called Vasco de Gama terrible, so people gave it bad ratings. Because it had bad ratings, people thought it was a terrible game. And don't even get me started on Geek & Sundry with their Tabletop Day bullshit.

tl;dr death to boardgamegeek

I'm still mad that the revised version of Tannhauser is living in the shadow of it's terrible first edition rulebook because they wouldn't make a new entry for it.

And then you have two TTAs, Dominion + Intrigue, two different editions of Viticulture, and 3 different Tickets to Ride, all in the top 100.

Again, BGG needs to die.

One thing I don't like about the game is that boat tile bonuses don't vary. If you play primarily n-player, you never see the other 6-n bonuses. So in a way 6 is ideal because you see all of the game. Also encourages fighting over tiles more
It'd be nice if they could weight individual ratings based on each user's previous ratings. If you have a varied rating history, you're heavily weighted. If you have only 1s and 10s, it doesn't even register.
neither of those are safe bets
Dominion and Intrigue being separated is warranted though. How else would gamers know that Intrigue is the better first purchase?

>Dominion and Intrigue being separated is warranted though. How else would gamers know that Intrigue is the better first purchase?

But that's literally wrong, you flaming tripfag.

>neither of those are safe bets
Safe bets in that many other sources have generally said they were good. These 2 weren't just randomly selected as "Oh well these are coop games for everyone!", Pandemic Legacy was picked because we wanted to give a legacy game another try after the disaster that was risk legacy for our group a couple years ago. Mice and Mystics was picked because we really wanted a dungeon crawler that didn't require an opposing player being the bad guy, and we really liked the theme of this one.

To be fair BGG isn't responsible for whatever Vasel or Wheaton or SUSD produce or promote. It just provides a medium to make opinions heard, arseholes sniffed and territories pissed.

Anyone else excited about the Siege of the Citadel kickstartwr launching this week?

My childhood is coming back to life and it makes me really happy.

no.
whats so good about it?

tfw you never play with 8 people total so it'd be silly for you to get captain sonar but you really want to play it

I saw people playing this last Armada night I went to. Was mad jealous but too awkward to go up to them and see if I might be able to play.

You should have awkwardly hovered all around the table looking like you wanted to talk/play, looking over everyone's shoulder, breathing down their necks, mumbling to yourself "so cool!", avoiding direct eye contact until they finally either asked you if you'd like to join the table or told you to bugger off.

Since none of the ships bring in any more workers in winter, you can take all 6 of them, shuffle and draw randomly when winter starts.

So far, I think it's every bit as good with 6.

Finally got around to playing Tiny Epic Kingdom with the Hero's Call expansion.

I liked the ideas it introduced.

The problem is that Gamelyn has absolutely failed in balancing any of it.

Most of the new races that come in the box are insanely powerful compared to the originals and are almost solely focused around dicking other people over. And in many cases, their higher tier abilities will completely exclude a single target player from being able to win due to how devastatingly powerful many of them are. And then some of them are so weak as to be almost useless.

For example: the Nymphs. Their level 2 research ability is that they can pay to magic (a very easy to acquire sum of resources) and force a war to end in an alliance, no option to fight. And then their level four ability steals an adjacent players hero, which removes their meeple from the board, and bars them from ever recruiting heroes again. That means in a single action you've cost someone four victory point (1 for having a meeple on the board, and three from the possibility of recruiting a hero) AND you've put them behind the power curve in terms of special abilities since they cannot get any more heroes.

Now lets consider another race: the Yeti. Their level 2 ability is that when gathering resources, they can knock over one of their meeples to gain an extra resource from that zone. Their level four allows them to instead gain two extra resources from that zone. While this might sound interesting and useful, remember that if you want that guy to move anywhere you now have to sacrifice an action to stand him up. So you've traded essentially two actions (one gather and one patrol) to get three resources, netting you one extra resource. That's absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things. Not to mention that their fifth tier ability gives them points for having their people in territories that are unoccupied by other players meeples, which is NOT going to happen with how cut-throat Hero's Call is.

And the heros are just as imbalanced. Most of them are useful, but some are just blisteringly over powered. For example, the Knight, he reduced you war costs by two for both attacking and defending when you level him up. That's a nice boost if you're on the war path. Or the Engineer, who gathers two ore if he's on a mountain, and when leveled up if he walks into a mountain space he can build there immediately. Nice abilities with some focused restrictions.

And then there's the assassin. When the assassin goes into combat, they can pay three ore and immediately win the combat no questions asked. Just kill the meeple and move on. Or the Alchemist who when leveled up can essentially gather two wild resources from ANYWHERE. This provides insane flexibility and you'll never be lacking in ANY vital resource.

I like Tiny Epic Kingdoms even though the balance is a little wonky, but in Hero's Call any flittering vestige at attempted balance is chucked straight out the window. Things vary so widely in strength that you'd have to literally separate them into tiers and only plays games with heros and races in certain tiers.

The scores in the game we played were thusly:
Yeti(HC): 8 points
Mountain Trolls(I think)(HC): 10 points
(Can't remember the race)(Original): 12 points
Nypmhs(HC): 24 points

As a note in that game once everyone realized how far ahead the nymph player was, which was about halfway through the game, everyone tried to gang up on them but they had so much magic that they constantly negated every war with them and continued on churning out ridiculous amounts of points and lietrally ignoring three players going from their throat.

If you know what you're getting into with legacy, fine. I think you still run the risk of...whatever disaster you're referring to--to that happening again. It doesn't get any easier for friends to sit down for a campaign-style game, even if everyone wants to.

Mice and Mystics I've heard is hit or miss. Many feel as though it lacks gameplay depth due to having to appeal to kids.

Have you considered Mage Knight co-op mode? Slower game but infinitely more depth.

good idea, if you don't mind not knowing which bonuses are in the game until winter. I'd probably do that at the beginning of the game and write them down

And continuing the rant:

And these sort of imbalances are why I dislike Tiny Epic Galaxies as well.

While I love the mechanics and dice activation and such of the game, the randomly available planets absolutely break the balance of the game.

The planets will vary in terms of how many victory points they're worth (1, 2, 3, 5, or 7). And each VP value requires a certain number of dice activations to colonize.

1 vp costs 2 activations
2 vp costs 3 activations
3 vp costs 4 activations
5 vp costs 5 activations
7 vp costs 6 activations

This means that if only 1 through 3 VP planets are available to you on your turn, you're making around .5~.75 VP per die. However, if you have a 5 or 7 VP planet available to you on your turn, you are making 1~1.14 VP per die. Literally DOUBLE the value of VP 1-3. And that's not all. The powers on the 7 VP planets are way better than the powers on the lower VP planets. You'd think it'd be the other way around but apparently Gamelyn likes runaway leaders. The special power of a 1 VP planet might be: Gain 1 energy, or Gain 1 culture. While the 7 VP planets might be: Gain culture equal to the number of ships on your home planet, or Move a ship to another planet's colony track at the same level.

If those big planets are available to you on your turn, congratulations, you're no massively ahead of everyone else.

I'd be more forgiving if these games actually played out in their dictated time frame of 30 minutes, or I'd prefer something more like 20 minutes. but no. They realistically take about an hour to play with any more than just two people. The only way to hit thirty minutes if you just did things as fast as you could and never paused.

And for these games to be so incredibly random and unbalanced for an hour to play is just inexcusable and very poor design.

Got my first play of Grand Austria Hotel last night. Really enjoyed it once I figured out the particulars. Very fast at two players

I played Capt Sonar last night too. Only turn-by-turn because we're shit at this game

My friend was bored af as the engineer. Might be because it wasn't the kind of game he was looking for, might be because turn-by-turn is too slow in that role (first mate probably is worse honestly). 6-player works even better than 8 in turn-by-turn to give the engineer/first mate more to do.

I was looking at picking this game up but now I decided I got my fill

Siege was the boardgame that introduced me to Mutant Chronicles, which in turn introduced me to miniatures gaming, so it holds a pretty fond place in my heart.

I also remember it being lots of fun ina semi-cooperative way.

Went to see a sick friend yesterday and played Forbidden Desert and Carcassonne with him and his GF. They're casual as fuck, but they had a good time, which is nice, since my buddy hasn't been outside for almost a month.

Also, Forbidden Desert may be "better", but I got to play Forbidden Island a few weeks ago and liked it more.
Not because of the mechanics or anything, but the sinking island tiles gave me a real feeling of dread and urgency, whereas the sandstorm is just an annoyance that pushes you around and gets sand in your boots, pfff.

The problem with Risk Legacy is half our group hated Risk, myself included. We love getting a chance to play stuff like Twilight Imperium and other games of the genre but Risk was just too brain dead steam rolly for us. The 2 that liked Risk tried to tell us legacy would fix that but after 2 sessions at the end of the day it was still same old Risk.

Mage Knight was recommended but I'm thrown off by the infinitely more depth here. Armies and conquering kingdoms, it's not the dungeon crawl we're looking for.

Interesting analysis of the VP system in T.E.G. Any ideas of a 'house-rules' fix? Or would it require a complete revamp in your opinion?

I like both Island & Desert in their own way as well. I'd agree that Island has more 'urgency', but I like Desert for the fact that everyone really has to coordinate, and the sun can be punishing. (And despite having some hardcore games, I still enjoy Carcassonne {and other casual games} a lot too.)

I've only thought about it a little but everything I could think of ends up trailing back to a complete revamp of the planets/VP/colony track/abilities.

I personally think that the low VP planets should have high value skills to make them worth taking and the high VP planets should how low value skills to balance the cheaper die costs. As it stands there is absolutely no reason to ever take a 1 or 2 VP planet unless you have no other options or require it for your secret objective. And even then it's still almost never worth it, Might as well just stock resources and hope you get a better planet draw on your next turn.

I've additionally considered giving each player two 3VP planets and letting them choose one to keep at the start so everyone has a starting unique ability and then raising the VP threshold for end game by 3. Might make it more interesting.

But I don't have the time, skill, or desire to re-design it. I'm probably just going to end up selling Hero's Call and TEG.

Not exactly a board game, but for lack of a card game general, can anyone tell me about A Game of Thrones Card Game Second Edition?

I've played one game, but I can't tell, is it any good? Is it better than first edition? Is it always so slow?

Anybody able to recommend a thunderstone alternative?

Im aware of ascension and have just gotten the app on my phone in irder to test it out, not sure how i feel about it yet but already like a few things that dominion didn't have.

Thunderstone seems like the ideal game for what i want but as we all know that shits oop af dawg.... i know theres a new edition coming out but still i wonder what else is out there. Also, got an idea as to when new thunderstone will be released? Thanks!

Why does this asshole get so much power over boardgames? Can we get someone other than this joker and his 2 fuck buddies to do reviews or is the hobby just too expensive for anyone to even try and start up a decent review show?

He's not THAT bad - his biases are obvious and usually well acknowledged, the amount of content his team puts out is immense, the only real issues they have are mostly production related (though why they ever let Sam try to explain the rules to anything is beyond me).

And production value is where their competition has decided to focus, eg Tabletop and SUSD, at the expense of relatively little content, and stronger bias problems from the reviewers / players.

>I've played one game, but I can't tell, is it any good?

Yes.

>Is it better than first edition?

I'm probably biased towards 1st edition, but A Game of Thrones LCG has gone through a similar growth between editions like Magic did- it's become more streamlined and casual.

That doesn't make it bad, but I personally still prefer 1st edition if nothing else than for having a vastly bigger card pool with more variety. There are other grievances but they're smaller and mostly opinion.

>Is it always so slow?

It can be. Joust tournaments give 55-65 minutes for one game and you can hit that time limit easily. Melee games either go super-fast or take forever with the leading player being ganged up on repeatedly.

>shits oop af
Rumor has it there's a 3d ed coming up soon

Because he's spent thousands of hours dedicated to reviewing hundreds of boardgames?
Even if his tastes and personality rub you the wrong way, you gotta admire his dedication.

Yeah im aware, but i cant find any information about it online... would love to find a good deal on the thunderstone advance games, but maybe i should just wait for the new edition. >Any idea as to when it will be released?
I don't have the slightest clue, is it months away? Years? I got no idea!

>Anyways... id love to also know if anybody >can recommend a decent alternative.
I have dominion and wouldnt consider this an alternative. Ascension is the only thing that i could find really, and im not too aure about it. >Anybody have an opinion on ascension?

Holy shiz dude! 'Daddy Issues' much?

1. Other than some companies hope he'll give their games a favorable review, what power exactly does he hold over board games? It's not like he's hunting down designers and beating them into submission or setting game publishing schedules for fuck's sake.

2. Try getting off your lazy ass and looking. There's multiple game reviewers listed in the pastebin in the OP.

3. Obviously you've never seen the complete train-wreak that is Will Wheaton's series on board gaming.

Is Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition really that good? I like the idea of app integration to cut down on convoluted setup rules and help randomization, but it looks like the app does so much that the boardgame is just there as a novelty at that point.

Get the app and play on Tabletop Simulator.

>but it looks like the app does so much that the boardgame is just there as a novelty at that point.

This is one of the reasons why I don't like app required board games

I really, really like it.

It's impossible to play without the physical components, so is the question, "should they have just made it a video game?"

I think it'd be a shit video game, but then again, people play Talisman digitally so I'm sure they'd find an audience.

They'd have to add lots more UI and an actual monster AI to the game, at minimum. I think stuff like that is beyond FFG's capability.

I was tempted to get it but seeing how app focused it is made me not want it.

I can get behind the idea of app based boardgames. It just threw me off really hard when I saw the entire board and where things were was shown on the app.

What physical components does the app leave to you? I'm genuinely trying decide on this game or not seeing as my group loved games like Arkham Horror and Betrayal at the House. I just don't want a game whose only existence as a boardgame is because they left you pity things to do like roll dice.