Rolled 21 (1d30)

Rolled 21 (1d30)

Sup Veeky Forums,

Some fucker asks you to roll a d30. You don't have one.

How would you best improvise the normal distribution of a d30 using any number of dice from a typical set of 7?

>inb4 git gud

Roll 1d6 and 1d10. If the d6 comes up 1-2, use the d10's result as-is. If the d6 comes up 3-4, add +10 to the d10's result. If the d6 comes up 5-6, add +20 to the d10's result.

>Not having a d30

you do d100/3-3 with a minimum of 1.

> d100/3-3
> d100/0

>not following the order of functions

Make a post on Veeky Forums, like you did, OP.

d4 for the 10's place (4=0), d10 for the ones?

No, wait, then what is a 4, 10...

Shit, I dunno

Checks out.

Roll a d20 and a d6.
If the d6 shows a 4,5, or 6, add +10 to the number shown on the d20

PEMDAS you dense twat

This doesn't really work. The normal distribution gets fucked up.

On a d30, you have a 1/30 chance of rolling any individual value.

With this method, certain values become more likely. You are twice as likely to roll a value between 11 and 20 as you are anything else.

I wouldn't, because no game worth playing uses these retarded zocchi dice.

Have you never played Formula De?

>2016
>not having some form of dice roller or random number generator

Yeah I know physical dice can't truly be emulated, and RNG programs have a larger probability to generate numbers in the middle of their range, but I digress.

Physical dice are unreliable. They're much worse than RNG.

I prefer dice because I can chuck my metal dice at people. They are neoprene coated or whatever that plastic shit is, so no damaging wooden tables but still hefty

I roll my fucking fist into his face.
who does he think he is?

Not to mention the amount of players who load their dice, or bake them.

Roll d100 and map 1,2,3 on the d100 to 1 on the d30, ..., 88, 89, 90 on the d100 to 30 on the d30, and reroll on a 91-100.

Eat shit, OP, I have a d60. So I'll just roll, halve and round up.

No one does that. Fuck off.
>inb4 my dad works at nintendo it totally happened
No it didn't.

How did you even come to that conclusion? You're just as likely to roll 3-4 as you are 1-2 or 5-6.

>> If the d6 shows a 4,5, or 6, add +10 to the number shown on the d20
The d6 is now a d2. Might as well flip a coin here: you've got a 50% chance of adding 10.

Now, to roll a 1, you'd have to roll a 1-3 on the d6, and a 1 on the d20. 1/2 * 1/20 = 1/40 chance of pulling that off. Same applies to rolling a 30: you'd have to roll 4-6 and 20.

To get an 11, you could roll 1-3 and a natural 11, OR you could roll 4-6 and a 1. There are 2 combinations apiece for each value between 11-20.

Math, user.

Or another way:
On the D6 1-3, your possible outcomes are 1-20.
On the D6 4-6, your possible outcomes are 11-30.
Out of 40 possible outcomes, 11-20 have twice the chances of coming up as the remaining numbers.

So there's a 12% chance of rolling a 1 while every other number gets a 3% chance?

Seems legit.

What games actually use a D30? I have one sitting around that a friend gave me, but I have no reason to use it.

Roll a 1D100. Keep rolling until number is 30 or less.

Method works for 1D71 too, which I use in my homebrew.

>What games actually use a D30
Awful ones, and the occasional 3rd-party supplement from ages past

Most dice have the numbers as indentations that you can feel while it's in your palm.
I've learned to roll the dice optimally in such a way that I can consistently get 20's even if others insist I give them a good shake, entirely through how I let them roll out of my hand.

None that I know of. I've got one my (now) girlfriend gave me as a gift and I use it to randomly generate DCs for various checks I forgot to plan or wasn't expecting.

>I want to roll to chop down this tree!
>wait, what?
>I've got an 18, does that succeed
>.... (roll d30, get 12).....yes.

My players come up with the stupidest crap, so at least I get use out of a thoughtful gift. Also, it's big enough to throw at them.

>1D71 too, which I use in my homebrew.
You have 10 seconds to justify this shit.

/r 1d30

I play in roll20

Your girlfriend sounds bomb

find a random number generator on my phone, i guess

Roll 1d4 and 1d10. The 1d4 is the tens slot, with 4 being a 0, and the 1d10 is the singles slot, with 10 being a 0. In the case of it rolling a 4 and a 10, reroll both.

31 is not a possible result with a d30, try again.

Then reroll that too.

Why is this thread still going when gave a simple and correct answer?

Bro ham, what happens when your d4 rolls a 3?

It's objectively right, but phrased horribly. D3-1 for tens place, d10 percentile for ones place. Double zeros are 30. It's just a percentile with a different leading die.

Then I guess, having had more than two seconds to think on it, take a 1d6 for the tens slot with 1/2 counting as 0, 3/4 counting as 1 and 5/6 counting as 2. Then take a 1d10 as-is, with 10 just flat-out advancing the tens slot a number.

Ironically enough, having now typed that out and reading the thread as it auto-refreshed, that's what someone above said...

You can use this same method to get other multiples of ten. D4-1 (basically what you started with) for a d40 d6-1 for a d60. 1/2d10-1 for a d50, etcetera.

3d20 / 2.
(rounding fractions down to nearest whole)

Mm hang on that would mean a 30 would only work on a 20 + 20+20
Yet a 1 would work on any combination of 1s and 2's
Not even distribution. Maybe standard rounding up or down might be better

Doesn't work. Distribution is a bell curve, giving higher percentage to the middle numbers.

I can do it with a d6 or two.

Roll 1d6-2, reroll if -1.
Multiply by 5.
Add another 1d6.

There, every combination of rolls results in one result from 1 to 30, with no doubling.

Orwait, an easier would be
(1d6-1)*+1d5
(1d5 is 1d6 reroll sixes, obviously)

Rolled 4 (1d30)

>Implying I don't have a d30
I ask the fucker to roll me a d24

That one's eazymode. It's 4*6, even less math than d30.

No. d24 is easier to do than d30 if you have full set of game dice because you already have a 4 and a 6 needed for it and you don't need to emulate a d5 from your d6 like you'd need for the d30.

But a-user, isn't 4d6 a d20?

That doesn't keep the probability curve of a d24, you center playing skub

Just roll a d30 and reroll on 25 to 30

No its not a 4d6 you retards. That doesn't even involve a d4, how the fuck do you even.

It's mathematical formula in and You are likely familiar with it's common application of using d10s to emulate d100.

Oh yeah, first reply is also using it, emulating d6 into d3 and pairing it with d10 (3*10)

Just roll a normal d24 or d30 like everyone else, for fuck's sake

ooh is a widdle babbu afraid of doing a bit of math and runs to amazon to buy shit to help him avoid doing it ever ever?

No, but if there's a die for it, why fuck with it.
I don't even know where i got the d20 and d30 from anyways. Never bought them cause they're shit ugly dice which'll never see any use

Roll a d3 and a d10.

Nice and you can even play golf with it.

Rolled 1 + 1 (1d10 + 1)

Isn't this the simplest answer?

I messed up the dice field.
Why not just roll 1d10 and 1d20?

Pull up a diceroller app and roll 1d30.
git gud

It's like saying you don't use d6 in boardgames holy shit.

can't you just roll a d20 and a d10 together?

No, but if I need to roll a fucking d6, I roll a fucking d6
If I need to roll a fucking d20, I roll a fucking d20, not a fucking d2+d10

Use a dice rolling progtam, website, or app.

DCC does

even if this weren't >shit that didn't happen, what the fuck?
are you seriously projecting your issues of being a cheating faggot onto everyone else? if you have such a huge problem not cheating then yeah, go ahead and use a dicerolling app.

inb4 'muh optimal dice rolling' is just letting it drop on the number without actually rolling it
seriously post a video i want to see how dumb this looks

(1d4 - 1)*6 + 1d6

But I also have a d24

Checks out.

Does not check out

That produces neither a range from 1-30, nor an even distribution.

Nope that'll give a normal distribution instead of a uniform distribution.

holy fuck, how is your math so good.

>implying you can't throw a phone or a computer at people

Tell the gm you dont have one, borrow theirs

>You don't have one.
That's quite a fucking claim you're making OP.

t. DCC regular

>Diceroller app
You fucking pleb

Just roll a d20 and multiply the result by 1.5

>how is your math so good

Not that user, but it comes up every so often on RPG boards, when someone wants to generate a number from 1 to 30.

For d30, roll 1d10 with a 6-sided
control die: add +0 on 1-2, +10 on 3-4, and +20 on 5-6.

ez

This, but I'd just use 1d6 mod 3 for the 10's place and the d10 for the 1's place. 00 counts as 30.

You have hurt me. I want you to know this.