/ccg/ MtG Custom Card Thread /cct/

Kaldesh and other nifty things edition
To make cards, download MSE for free from here
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post your shitty card!
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Art sources.
digital-art-gallery.com/
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj
Threadly question: When working on a card, where do you find the inspiration for new abilities or mechanics?

Other urls found in this thread:

magiccards.info/query?q=t:"cat" c!g&v=card&s=cname
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

buffer before new vehicles come in

tried another attempt at a 2-walker

+1 is a blue ability, no matter how much it feels like it makes sense.

>T2 Marit Lage.
ay.

I feel like if you add "target land you control" it becomes fine, considering elsewhere flask

Blue can turn other lands into other Basic types. This is just an extension of that ability.

And in case you're concerned about Dark Depths, don't be. Vampire Hexmage and Thespian's Stage do the same thing (the latter being nigh uncounterable).

if it was Land you control then sure
otherwise yeah, blue ability

>Feint [cost] ([Cost], Return a blocked attacker you control to hand: Put this card onto the battlefield tapped, attacking, and blocked by the same creatures.)
You can be less formal about reminder text wording to save space. This is based more directly on ninjutsu's RT.

>Exile X non-Elemental creature cards from your graveyard: Return ~ from your graveyard to the battlefield with two times X +1/+1 counters on it.

Should probably never refer to "the stack" and instead use "each spells cast before it"
That card should also probably cost at least 2 more considering it's uncounterable and also mills your opponent.

Pyre's remnant is also broken. First off, actually casting it gives you no benefit. Second, cheating on mana is the easiest way to break a card (and format).

No prizes for guessing which card this is a reference to.

+1 definitely needs to be "land you control".
Otherwise, this is an excellent attempt at a 2-mana planeswalker.
You should cut down on the length of the last ability by using the new "create" wording:
>Create a colorless artifact token named Mox Sol with indestructible and "[T]: Add [WUBRG] to your mana pool."

Cut the land ability, make him a Soldier, and split the first ability into two, so other Legendary Soldiers get +2/+2. You have a much more cohesive, striking card that doesn't feel like two uncommons stapled together.

...Huh. Cute. I could totally see a Myr along these lines.

Something's horribly wrong with your font rendering. I like Feint quite a lot - has the right idea about the reminder text.

Milling cards is kind of weaksauce for such an unusual effect. Straight life loss would be fine in UB. It's not strictly kosher, but, given that Split Second already refers to it, I think you can get away with referring to the stack in rules text.

Second draft of my green uncommons incoming.
All Hallow's Eve on legs? I can get behind that. Weird that your version is one-sided, though, for such a direct reference. Although I do think your version works better.

>Weird your version is one sided
I really wanted to have it reanimate both player's graveyards and pit them against each other, but the textbox size is a harsh mistress.

>Glyph-Etched Golem
Feel like this could be XGG for a 1/1.

>Grand Builder
Perhaps
>The monuments of Merys-Maat are as tall as the death-pits of their builders are deep.
?

>Ba of Reincarnation
Smart way to capitalise on Legacy.

>Feeding Pit
Sounds more like a land or an artifact than a Sorcery. Why not "If you control a permanent with CMC >5, you may have that Cat fight target creature you don't control"? Seems simpler than "up to one."

>Tireless Labor
How about "When ~ enters the battlefield or you spend 5 or more mana..."? Quite a bit stronger, but it seems pretty lackluster ATM.

Updated versions of a common cycle, after critiques from guys here.
Each is supposed to showcase their faction's mechanic.

UNcommon cycle, excuse me.
With regards to this card, is there anything in the rules that says it doesn't work?

Meek should be italicised.
"Narset" in Disciple of Narset's flavor text shouldn't be italicised.
Scout the Catacombs is weak as hell, even if you delve really hard.

Should work fine.

Thanks for the wording stuff, with regard to Catacombs, what if it were, take up to two out of the grave, one into your hand, one on top? Would that require a change in cost maybe to 5GG with Delve?

First draft of my multicolored uncommons, finally finished! Once I get these squared away, I can move on to the rares.

>Tireless Labor
I can give it an ETB as well.
>Feeding Pit
I believe that either way works. "Up to" just takes up a bit less room than "you may have." Unless I'm wrong about that, in which case I can definitely change it.
>Martyne Bladesinger
It feels disconnected, like just a bunch of different blue abilities on a stick. Sometimes it taps creatures, sometimes it untaps. It doesn't really seem to mesh. I almost feel like I'm missing some sort of wider context. Am I?

Feeding Pit needs the "up to one" or you can't cast it if there are no creatures on the battlefield.

Then I'll leave it as-is.

In a perfect world, this card would have an ability that lets itself be played into other players games as an instant. But we don't live in a perfect world yet

Ded thread, ded life.

tried to balance ancestrall recall

Cats are white, not green.

Are you implying that cats can't be green?

There has been 0 cats in magic that are mono G so yes. Especially as a token. It would be like making a U beast token, or a R zombie token.

That is downright false.

Mirri?

Wild jungle cats are objectively green and not at all white

I have a question for you guys.

I want a mechanic that lets you discard cards to put basic land tokens into play. How do I word it so that this counts as your one land drop for the turn?

Forest Drop (Discard this card from your hand: Create a forest land token. Play this ability only when you could play a land. Playing this ability counts as playing a land card.)

I wouldn't. Magic isn't Duel Masters. The land system is a fundamental part of the game.

Like everything in MTG design, this is way easier if you use the DFC template. Not necessarily a good idea, though.

I'm gonna bump the thread with some updated collages.
That's an elegant way to do it, but I still feel like it just isn't a good idea.

Plea for might's red

Black can do rituals too.

There's a big difference between a discount ritual and one that gives net mana.

Rituals are still a part of black's color pie, though. Big mana matters in my set, so I brought them back to black in addition to red.

All right, I'm out of collages, and the thread has been successfully bumped.

I wish I had time to go over more of this, but I wanna say that Flaming Invocation is amazing and I would give my left ovary to see it in Standard. Also, your set quality overall is extremely high.

Because I was making a Toshiro Umezawa EDH deck, got thinking about black Instant speed removal. This is questionably removal though, since it needs an additional source of damage or toughness reduction to kill.

Thanks, user! I appreciate that. I work hard on my sets, so it's always nice when people enjoy them.
Can't say I'm the biggest fan of the art choice (which is subjective, of course), but the card itself is rather interesting. I like that it kills anything with 1 toughness outright, and thinking of other uses for it is fun in a johnny sort of way.

Well at worst, it's an alright combat trick. Especially for one mana. Better for getting through walls than saving your creatures from a top-heavy hitter though.

magiccards.info/query?q=t:"cat" c!g&v=card&s=cname

Eh, most of the time I'd prefer a disfigure.

Landcycling is the easy way is you don't mind the shuffling.

>Rituals are still a part of black's color pie, though
Rituals are no longer black, and haven't been in black since Torment. Heck, not even red gets rituals these days. The closest you get are spawn/scion makers that let you bank mana for the next turn.

Black does have a recent ritual, but you can barely call it that.
Dark petition gives you a chunk of mana, but that's only after Spell Mastery (which admittedly is easy to trigger).

Hey, that looks pretty neat!

Eh, I figured that landcycling would be the best way. I really was interested in borrowing from Dual Masters though.

I'm having trouble converting flavor for commanders into on card abilities. I've got this big Jund colored demon who I know I want to care about sacrificing permanents but I don't know how to turn this into an ability.

What do you even want him to do?
>Whenever a player sacrifices X, do Y
>Sacrifice X: Do Y

I want him to sacrifice minions as an example, maybe some sort of pump effect when he sacs a creature, but that feels to close to Mazirek.

Well, what makes him Legendary then? What kind of character is it? Why does he even have minions?

Sac to pump is just so generic for black.

He's a demonic general who's star is in the ascendant currently. While his campaigns have been successful, they have been bloody, with the general disposing of underlings that have failed him.

Hallowed Undreaming doesn't need to reference the stack. You can just go ahead and say "each spell". Spells only exist on the stack anyway.

No offense, but pretty generic so it's not much of a mystery why you're not getting much inspiration.

Here's what I could come up with. Wordy as butt, but it's something new.

And then I immediately think of a better way to do it. Still wordy as fuck.

"Sacrifice another blocked creature: Target creature you control gets +1/+0 until end of turn."

Like said, though, it's a pretty generic concept, so there are probably tons of different approaches for conveying the flavor.

Thoughts on this? I'm designing this for cube play. Is the wording clear, or should I add reminder text that the second effect still counts as the land per turn?

I think it needs to be restricted to sorcery speed regardless if you can actually play the land or not. It would also clear up any priority issues in multiplayer.

>Other creatures you _control_ attack each turn if able.
>At the end of combat, you may sacrifice a blocked creature you control. If you do, search your library for a creature card with power X, where X is 2 plus the sacrificed creature's power onto the battlefield. Then shuffle your library.

Trample is a thing and so are creatures that are capable of dealing noncombat damage. It is also a mandatory sacrifice, being a demon and all.

My idea was all he cared about was that the other guys at least touched your opponent.

Well if you are going to be too specific your card gets too niche and is just a waste of a mythic slot.
Do you really want to over complicate a card's wording for a few minor situations?

I wouldn't consider it that niche or even that specific. The ability also tutors whatever you want without endangering the legend, so it's plenty powerful enough to warrant the restrictions anyway.

Literally only being able to sac creatures that were blocked, not killed, and didn't trample is awfully niche.

That's not much different from what you're suggesting, which is saccing a creature that was blocked and didn't die.

This card is undercosted. It's got 3 keywords and isn't far off from the normal curve especially at uncommon. Even at rare it's probably too good.

Reclaim already lets you put any card from your graveyard to top of your library for just G. 5GG with delve and any two to hand would be fine.

10/10 flavor. The eye needs flash or some way to make the 3 mana silence mode worth playing. As it stands, the only benefit of not picking the combat skip option is nullifying combat tricks for a turn. I like the way ransomers interact with legacy.

Vampire Nighthawk is a 1BB Flying Lifelink Deathtouch 2/3 uncommon, which is fairly close in terms of power level.

Black only sometimes gets rituals as a throwback sort of thing, with Dark Petition and Liturgy of Blood. Have to say though, totally wrong about Red. Last one was in Fate Reforged, it is something Red still gets to do, Wizards just doesn't want it everywhere though, so they limit it.

Still looking for a better image. Also not entirely sure of the cost. I realize Deathbringer Thoctar is more expensive, but it's bigger and it gets P/T counters instead of these sort of "marker" counters.

Tireless labor in a R/G multi player game with mana geyser, turn 4-5. Fireball for lethal?

Have you considered adding a ping ability to this? Either something like Prodigal Pyromancer or firstest strike.

This is exactly the kind of thing the new Energy mechanic was designed for.

Let me guess, everyone's at school.

Not quite but I see the similarities. Charged is intended to keep each card to it self, and also works with proliferate.
I do agree they are similar though. I've also been using this keyword sense before Keledesh was spoiled.

Also it's spoiler season. These threads always die during spoilers.

This seems rather unfocused and probably does too much. Generally it's either one or the other (artifact or enchantment) especially at that cost.
The closest card in power level is Vedalken Archmage which only draws on artifacts and is 2UU.
The last ability is also a bit odd since WU doesn't usually go wide with equipments and auras.

Oh yeah, here's this crazy thing again. Wanted complete permanent removal, but wanted to get rid of the problem with removing lands.

Yeah. I think I might turn her into a mana dork. She's supposed to be an alchemist, so I want her to help get stuff onto the field, or maybe tutor stuff. Maybe a polymorph ability?

Why? Talking with people on another thread about the new spoilers?

>card
Meh. If the creature is important enough to chuck removal on, the opponent is going to sac a land every time. Maybe choose a creature and a land controlled by the same player, the player sacs one. Not that great either, but better at least, I think.

I don't really see the purpose of having 8 counters and requiring you to remove 2 over just having 4 counters and removing 1.
Red also doesn't grant flying. That's more white and blue even if red does get flying on its own.

Try counting the number of runes in the art.

That's not a very exciting top-down design decision.

Dark Petition and Liturgy of Blood are totally NOT rituals. They refund some mana, but never ramp you extra mana. Trying to extrapolate from that and say that black gets Dark Rituals again is absurd. By that logic, blue can get rituals because of Pore Over the Pages.

>They refund some mana, but never ramp you extra mana.
So is Manamorphose not a ritual?
>By that logic, blue can get rituals because of Pore Over the Pages.
THIS is absurd. You're comparing a spell that directly adds mana to your mana pool to a spell that untaps some lands. This is the sort of argument that leads to terrible color pie violations.