The Official MTG Snowstorm/Lore Thread

Welcome to the MTG flake/lore thread!
Last Thread: Giant Warrior-Lady Showdown Edition

Writefagging last time:

If you want ANYTHING to go in the repo, just summon me. Otherwise I will only put writefagging and sheets in the repo.

Also, I added the blank template to the ALL FLAKESHEETS folder. And the old snowsheets are under "Snowstorm sheets" > "1- ALL FLAKE SHEETS."

To summon me simply say
>OP OP, I SUMMON THEE. PLACE THIS FILE IN THE REPOSITORY.
Unless that's too gay.

>Current Repository

Other urls found in this thread:

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/torch-defiance-2016-09-05
strawpoll.me/11160931
strawpoll.me/11160933
strawpoll.me/11160935
strawpoll.me/11160936
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxeHZZdW4wdWhKOG8
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxZGlXeUhDYkFwdnM
drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxdjdLZHZjbGtHYUU/view?usp=sharing
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxN2pndDBSSEI4a1k
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxLWdpcEQ2MHEzZm8
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxNktKMHkzck5hODQ
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxQy1aQjZmNXVqQ0E
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxTWVBMmQ0YUhkdTQ
drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxYXU5eG05bmtxR0k/view?usp=sharing
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxOWRzMl9Hel9QQzg
strawpoll.me/11162704
strawpoll.me/11162705
strawpoll.me/11162707
strawpoll.me/11162710
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Is there a list of books/comics for getting into the lore without having to deal with the card stuff?

New story up: Torch of Defiance, by Doug Beyer.
>magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/torch-defiance-2016-09-05

TEZZERET CONFIRMED, BOYOS. And Chandra having a believable reaction to going back to Kaladesh, nice. Liliana's personality is shining, even if Chandra going non-violent is a bit wonky. Then again, brutally burning people alive might be a bit much for the audience, so I can excuse it.

Murdy and Dio will never happen. She's a little too stabby for his tastes.

Where did this consideration even come from.

See

It is her prize for winning the tourney of course so never

Besides counterspells and being very tough, what ways to defend against hostile magic are there? If you are a wizard and Chandra is right in front of you and in a murderous rage for some reason, how do you stop her from incinerating you on the spot?

You act faster than her and somehow stun or kill her before she can kill you. Or you run away, that might work too. You could also try to throw something in the way of it.

That's pretty shit, desu.

I didn't expect the setting to be so lethal. I suppose the inflated life totals and inability for most burn to go face in gameplay has lead me to believe otherwise.

I don't know if it counts as countermagic, but putting up a wall would be pretty effective. Or hiding behind minions. Anything fleshy to take the brunt of the damage.

You're thinking of in game mechanics. The lore is different in actual story form. In game the only thing you can do is swerve or counter the fire, but basic logic applies in story.
A geomancer like Koth could raise the ground like a wall to stop the fire, A lithomancer like Nahiri could do the same, a shadow mage like Liliana or a pain mage like Tibalt could make her hurt enough that she can't focus on casting the spell. Large gusts of wind can spread the flame out harmlessly, or you could counter the flame with your own. A teleporting mage like Venser could just 'pfft' his way to safety. Etc.Etc.
There's a lot of basic, easy ways to deal with Chandra throwing fire at you.
Hell Jace's "counterspell" to stop Chandra's torrent of flame in their duel deck is to throw an equal amount of water on it.

So instead of actual counterspells, use spells that counter theirs or that prevent them from casting, got it.

Seems like wasted design space: defensive wards, equipment for the player instead of your creatures, stuff like that. I mean, there's some, but still.

Typically wards and the like come in the form of white's "Prevent X of that damage" circle's of protection, and anything that says "Fuck non-combat damage" like pic related or things that redirect damage like Palisade giant

So white and blue are the only colors that actually care about defensive magic? Black kinda does too with their -x/-x, green just makes theirs fukhueg, and red is red.

Red got redirecting.

Oh. I thought that was white too.

I've had money down with a friend that Chandra's mom was alive since reading her Origins story. Looks like I won the bet.

Nice.

Redirecting damage, yes. Redirecting a spell or ability is blue and red.

>tfw you realize your shitty writefagging's plot was basically going to be what Charmandra is going throught right now

Not your fault user. "returning home" is a trope of the most widely spread, given how many metaphors it lends itself to.

Nononono, I mean literally.
Replace mom with dad, 12 years with 10, etc. It hurts how similar the situations would have been.

What do we replace Tezzeret with, a lawnmower?

Nope. 4am.

New Thread, Polls.
Rules post after this:

strawpoll.me/11160931
strawpoll.me/11160933
strawpoll.me/11160935
strawpoll.me/11160936

I didn't get far enough for that. Probably the dude that can give people various mental superpowers with a touch, but they become his servants after a while of such.

>During each round, flakes will be assigned to random opponents in single-elimination tournament fashion.
>Flakes will be treated as though they are all neowalkers in order to create a balance of power.
>Flakes with meme-levels of power will be treated as though they weren’t.
>Flakes that directly contradict lore, especially by going against or interacting inappropriately with canon characters, will be disqualified.
>Flakes that are joke or troll flakes will be disqualified. The use of silver-bordered cards in a flake’s preferred spell list automatically disqualifies them.

>During the first round, all flakes will be placed into the roster randomly. Flakes that are disqualified will give their random opponents a bye for the round.
>During the first round, flakes will be revealed in smaller groups, noting disqualifications and asking the thread if they wish to disqualify anyone else.

>During each round, small groups of flake match-ups will be revealed
>Arguments will take place in the thread and votes will be taken from the polls over which flake is likely to prevail over the other.
>After each round, the flakes that move on will be re-randomized on the roster to make match-ups unpredictable.

>Match-Up rules will treat both competing flakes in a match as though they are both forced into conflict with the other, and neither is allowed to planeswalk away until a winner is determined. Flakes will be treated as though they start with zero assisting summons and will not have prepared for this encounter.

Come on anger angel you can do this.

Please vote on all of the matches, and not just the ones with your favorite flakes in them.

I'm Dyna's creator, and I have to say Serena would probably come out on top unless she was very foolish and tried to melee with Dyna without taking advantage of her aerial mobility, which I don't think she'd do even at full REE. She's a smaller target than the dragons Dyna usually grapples, and while Dyna's punches would be devastating a winged humanoid is actually a pretty bad matchup for her.

Serena would probably be surprised to discover Dyna CAN into ranged combat, though, even though her idea of ranged combat is to summon another giant and THROW IT AT YOU.

>Dyna throws a giant at Serena
>Serena uses Divine Deflection to throw it back
>This goes on for hours
Giant tennis.

The poor aether-giant, summoned into a brief life of suffering for reasons beyond his comprehension.

Best tennis.

Wrong sporting event here, though.

Why a giant tho. You could fling her something more fling-able. The odd Mogg. A Myr Battlephere. Angry Murdock. Whatever.
Or just swing a dragon by the tail like a flail. Like in that renaissance book, the Morgante.

Dyna's used to throwing giants around. It's a good way to establish dominance as a foreign giant. She's heard of aerodynamics and decided she wanted no part in it.

She would, and indeed probably has, done the dragon-flail at some point, though.

You gotta tame that fire crotch.
Make her hotter than she's making you.
Make that fire flicker.

Use methods of avoidance that aren't represented by mechanics.

Dodge the fireball, taunt her and enrage her to make her aim more sloopy, hide behind a magical shield, so on and so forth.

Pffsh. Venser could just "pfft" Chandra away.

Ten Minute Call!

Wrap up your voting!

The following flakes advance to the next round:

>Jakrol
>Izari
>Serena
>Murdock

The next batch of flakes is as follows:

>Pog VS Venn
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxeHZZdW4wdWhKOG8
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxZGlXeUhDYkFwdnM
drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxdjdLZHZjbGtHYUU/view?usp=sharing

>Huija VS Tomiko
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxN2pndDBSSEI4a1k
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxLWdpcEQ2MHEzZm8

>Tok VS Sydhar
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxNktKMHkzck5hODQ
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxQy1aQjZmNXVqQ0E

>Ussa VS Ygraine
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxTWVBMmQ0YUhkdTQ
drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxYXU5eG05bmtxR0k/view?usp=sharing
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxOWRzMl9Hel9QQzg

DISCUSS!

>Pog VS Venn
HOLY SHIT
A FIGHT VENN CAN WIN

I have this terrible feeling Venn is going to luck his way through this whole Ice Age.

Aw, dammit. Missed the voting time. Fuck.

The more rounds that go by, the stronger all of the remaining flakes will be. Luck can only get you so far, and after this round there won't be any non-combat flakes that survived by first round disqualifications.

I for one am happy about it, sorry!
That was close, wasn't it. Iceman, I'll be damn disappointed if no Serena vs Murdock happens!

>Pog vs Venn
Basically a thief and a policeman. I'll give this to the cop- Venn is just stronger in my opinion, and Pog is, conversely, not strong enough.

>ussa vs Ygraine
With due respect, but Ygraine is not in the same weight category. Literally. Ussa takes it home easily.

>Huija VS Tomiko
I didn't remember Huijia to be this scary! By the way, both are non-combat focused flakes, and Huijia is definitely the biggest and more powerful of them. He takes it.

>Tok VS Sydhar
Tok has been living on Jund and in post-apoc Dominaria. Given he also apparently went to zendikar, he basically has been dwelling in every variarion of Fantasy Australia you can think of. His adversary isn't just tough enough for him I believe.

pog gets buff from his own spells and summons though

>Pog and Venn
Literally an effortless Venn win.
>Huija and Tomiko
Giant monk wins over poisonous rat.
>Tok and Sydhar
Self-improving fungus monster defeats a tired old world-maker.
>Ussa and Ygraine
The natural disadvantage of being a Segovian works against Ygraine. She has to lose this.

>Pog VS Venn
I dunno, I feel this could actually be a good matchup. Pog seems to be the more creative of the two and specializes in ambush tactics and traps. Venn is larger and stronger, but also seems to be more of a blacksmith than an actual fighter. I think neither of these flakes are the most combat oriented, nor the most skilled. And were they in a party together, their skills would complement one another. But 1v1? They both have some pretty obvious weaknesses that their opponent can expose, so really it comes down to timing and luck. This match is a tossup.

>Huija VS Tomiko
Holy shit. I didn't realize how much of a druggy Tomiko was. Huija clearly has the natural advantage here, being a giant. And Tomiko isn't mentioned or known to be abnormally fast. Honestly, she'd probably poison Huija and he would slowly die from the deadly toxins, or his larger-than-normal physique would save him. But it wouldn't kill him quickly enough to prevent him from stepping on Tomiko. Huija wins.

>Tok VS Sydhar
Both of these flakes are rather non-combative. But I think Sydhar, with his greater experience, knowledge, and wider spell selection, takes it.

>Ygraine VS Ussa
I want to give Ygraine the benefit of the doubt, since she is supposedly a strong caster. But Ussa has hypno-magic, size, and strength on Ygraine. She also has some decent casting of her own. I don't think Ygraine stands a chance.

> Huija vs Tomiko
> Mountain vs Red Viper
Tomiko better bring a helmet.

>Pog vs Venn
as much as Venn has race and martial skill advantage, good god pog's casting abilities are off the charts, he's got a fucking demigod on there. That may not matter much in card format, but in-lore those cycle bundles from the lorwyn/shadowmoor block are litteraly lesser gods, and should not be taken lightly.

>Huija vs Tomiko
I'm pretty sure Tomiko was one of the guys that got by on a pass, so it's not surprising to see it outclassed on every front. I imagine we might see a good fer of these kinds of battles for round 2.

>Tok vs Sydhar
The fungus has significantly better synergies with all his spells and he's got what appears to be a bit of a race advantage. Sydhar has some pretty solid power behind his casting, but he has little room to grow in single-battlefield instances, whereas tok has lots of room to grow. Tok gets this one.

>Ussa vs Ygraine
I had a different argument prepared, but was actually completely unaware of segovia's gimmick. Ussa gets it. I don't know about Ussa's actual casting ability, we for the most part only have understanding of her creature casting ability and her written thing doesn't explore too deeply this hypnosis magic I hear her having, but the monsters she summons are much stronger than the at outlandishly best child-sized "giant", so Ussa takes this.

Is anyone secretly wishing that Phyrexians attack Kaladesh in AR and kill all the poo in loos? Would restore my faith in the game.

They won't have Phyrexia directly after Eldrazi.

Also,
> restore my faith in the game
Then go play Force of Will, faggot.

No. Honestly, going "suddenly Phyrexia" with literally no other buildup then "it is an artifact plane!" would be disappointing.
Now back to pol, pls.

I just want them to print a rare land called "Designated Shitting Street" desu

They have plumbing though. Big, efficient sewers and everything.
>Le shitting street
It's mostly the backwards country bumpkin parts of Indica that has that problem, just like how most of Europe kept doing the chamber pot out the window thing until they fully installed plumbing.

So industrializing India is still better than industrializing Europe, because at least then the shit didn't fall from the sky.

Speaking of "I was doing (thing) and now UR has done it," I actually had to check and see if I put my Gideon vs. Chandra fight up anywhere because I had the exact same conclusion as last week's story: slam him into the ground so he can't get out in my story Chandra gloated and flirted with him because I'm awful and take the win. I didn't, and now putting it anywhere would make me look like a copycat.

No, the shit was on their hands.

[spoilers]...and their breath.[/spoilers]

I mean, that's really not all that strange. We saw Ob Nixilis man-handle Gideon and try drowning him.

Lol, fucked up the spoiler.

In a puddle.

Don't worry, the real Beefslab vs Charmander fight will have to wait until the inevitable Jacetice League: Civil War.

Ice user, I think the discussion has slowed. Polls?

I don't think I've discussed Venn's combat skills. He does have some formal swordsmanship training, but not enough to be a master. Not to mention his magic is all about reforging metal to suit his needs.

In direct combat, he's not all that great, but when you can forge a Sword of War and Peace from a random clue you might be set.

Granted, the issue is that he's a bit on the hotheaded side. Easily goaded.

Now that we know Tezzeret is there, I'm getting this mounting dread that the chances of Phyrexian invasion in AR are rising. I mean, they mentioned that whole inter-planar portal thing, so maybe Bolas is offering Kaladesh to the Phyrexians through Tezzeret as part of some big evil Multiverse political thing. Christ, I hope I'm wrong.

Wasn't Tezzy turned into a glob of goo?

They've been far more open with the art this time than they were with Eldritch Moon. They aren't hoarding some big secret and some great mystery.

I'd say it's a hint that the Phyrexians might show up in the future, not that it's immediate.

That's still not a yes or no.

> inb4 Clockworking confirmed

That's gonna be Return to Kaladesh,

I really hope you guys are right.

POLLS!
strawpoll.me/11162704
strawpoll.me/11162705
strawpoll.me/11162707
strawpoll.me/11162710

That would mean they'd be off New Phyrexia. We'll see them when their shit gets pushed in on New Phyrexia and they rename it Mirrodin 2: The Wrath of Karn.

POOOOOOOOOOOOLLS

Did my part, but I'm pretty sure I confused Ussa and Ygraine so my vote fucked up unanimity

Woah. Pog VS Venn spiked. It was 4 to 4 about 5 minutes ago, now it's 4 to 8. Damn. Lots of people on right now, I guess.

So, magically Pog vs Venn has 12 votes while none of the rest do. Outweighing in Venn's favor. I wonder why that is.sarcasm

Nope. It's all one user rigging the votes as usual.

Why would one user rig votes? What's the point? And why specifically for Venn? I'm not saying it's not true, I just think it's a lot of effort for one person to put in over a flake vs flake poll. Someone needs to check their priorities.

It's to be against me even though I didn't make Pog. Any flake that people think I made seems to get twice as many votes as any other flake and always against that flake.

You know, I'd think you were just being a sore loser and no one is petty and bored enough to rig votes in a ~30 person community poll that has no real consequences.

But then I remember I am on Veeky Forums, remember that this is MtG we are talking about, and suddenly it becomes plausible.

I know, right!?

Funny enough as it is, I've actually voted against multiple of my own flakes. But, this user seems to be pissing all over this tourny when it comes to flakes he suspects are mine... Oh wait. It's Piss user. Of course. That explains a lot.

>people have to be rigging votes, there's no way enough people dislike me to do this

No, Ice Age user himself said he has caught it. There was a 4 vote 100% for a flake people thought was mine. 0 votes against it. And literally in a minute, five votes popped up against the flake and they lost.

Reminder not to respond to Vronak.

By responding to what you think or know is a Vronak post, you are taking bait willingly.

Every reply is a victory for Vronak, for Vronak is a troll.

Thank you.

Shit, I almost got caught up in it. Thanks spoiler user.

You amuse me, user. Have a nice day.

Also, just letting you know that if I was trolling, even this post would be feeding the troll.

And suddenly a tie up with Pog. Looks like Venn's getting his ass beat by a gobbo.

19 unique posters, let's see who the next new poster is.

Now, how the fuck does that happen? I understand people wanting to be fair against the face of piss user. But, 16 voters? Especially when the others have only 8 voters? Except the last one which has 10 voters. It's a bit much.

MaRo has said we're probably not returning to New Phyrexia. I'd put money on when we see them again, it'll be invading another plane.

It's shit like this that makes me fear for the future and legitimacy of these polls. Oh well.

MaRo says a lot of things. One of which was "No, my daughter isn't out late at night sucking dick." And we all know how that turned out.

I've given up on the polls since round 1. I personally don't care who wins or loses.

Gee I wonder who is vote rigging. From 4-8 of Venn's benefit to 8-8 in 10 minutes.

Alright, either I missed something here or we're shitting on Rosewater again.
Why do we do that, btw? I don't mind the dude, and it might be because I've only been playing for six years but the game under his direction has been doing phenomenally, as evidenced by the fact that holy shit there are so many players now

Not me. I already said I'm out of this. I really don't care. Someone is being generous though. Because I'm pretty sure someone is matching Piss user's rigging. So, my condolences to whomever it is.

The game is fine. The lore is shit all because of him.

Fuck off. You just blame everyone in turn. First its chillbrass, then its piss user. Because absolutely impossible that one of your flakes could lose.

I know I am getting trolled but seriously, fuck you and your neckbearded fat ass. You cant even refute that because you fucking idiot posted your disgusting face in these threads. Choke in your own vomit and die.
>Why so antagonistic? :)) or something other dumb shit you keep posting
Atleast I dont fucking vote rig a pointless poll like you.