First player kill stories thread

Killed my first player character the other day. The rogue stole from me in the first hour of the new game. While he was failing death saves, I executed em. Kinda felt bad, kinda didn't.

What about you guys and gals? What was your first time killing a player character like?

One PC wanted to set a female prisoner we'd captured free. When he made to free her, I hit him with a Hold Person and smashed his head in with a mace. The Ranger shot down the woman as she fled.

Lots of butthurt that day, but goddamnit, you don't free prisoners just because she was flirting with you.

I remember one time a PC was secretly a doppelganger. I wanted to stop to investigate a few dungeon rooms, so he got bored and attacked two of us. The lolrandumb bard joined in with him. I assumed IC the bard had mind-fucked him into doing it, so I killed the bard and subdued the doppelganger.

The DM was broken, it had turned out that literally one room further was going to be a cool place full of references to prior campaigns and much-beloved NPCs. He was speechless and basically wasn't able to run games for a few months.

Ouch. But yeah. Would have done the same.

Holy shit, I feel for that DM.

I smacked a chaotic-retard tiefling dragon sorcerer (And to this day I still fucking hate sorcerers because of it) in the face with a hammer. We were all playing Pathfinder for the first time and only a handful of us had ever touched the concept of roleplaying before.

She got bored of her character and figured the best way to inexplicably remove it from the party was to attack the party. So she attacks my character, a level 1 Dwarf Foehammer, a fighter variant. She casts her Magic Missile or some bullshit within my melee range, so I just turn around and fucking mash her face with a hammer. In one hit she's barely alive, down in low negative hitpoints whilst I just shrugged off her spell.

For some equally unexplained reason the party decided to stabilize the character and leave it on the streets. I was kind of pissed about that.

RIP cool dude GM, tilted in the line of duty

Close but not a player kill. Unless the character never resurfaced after that, did it?

Never actually killed a team mate but boy have I accidentally downed a bunch of them.

>Lizard man berserker accidentally tosses club over shoulder power attacking and reks bard
>Unleash power AOE sunlight attack and forget that one of my party members is undead
>Demolishing a building while party is inside because I failed two demo tests, one other player was downed I got totally destroyed
>Frag grenade scatters onto sergeant and medic

All sorts of good stuff like that.

My current campaign was supposed to start at level 3, but I held a "prequel" session with each of the players, for them to get a bit acquainted with the setting.
Two of my players were playing for a good few hours already, and so I threw a few goblins at them, just so they don't get bored. One of the player's characters got oneshot down to 0, then rolled a nat 1 on his save, then got crit by a goblin.
And that's the story of how I killed a character before the campaign started

Kek, random accident supreme.

Hey, at least someone has an interesting backstory. But howcome you didn't Fiat that?

The DM had only himself to blame for setting up the situation in the first place.

>the GM has the players kill each others
>some user thinks that that is a good GM

Just... I'll be on my way. Call me when summer ends.

Actually I say that it could be blamed on the interparty assumptions. If the bard didn't join in that way then it would have allowed the DM to carry on the way he planned.

Made a Hobgoblin Samurai in a campaign I was playing with some friends, all of us were about level two when we entered some creepy ass swamp with weird huts and we stumbled upon some sort of rat creature with a man's face that I can't remember the name of inside one of them. My character has a high strength, constitution, and a fear of rats and things vaguely shaped like rats. So, as he was the most unstable character I ever played, he decided to bring the entire shack down and then drop some oil on it and burn the fucker.

Unfortunately, the halfling bard with 18 charisma who kept the group from killing each other was still inside when it collapsed.

>not using Hold Person on the fleeing prisoner and then telling the PC to fuck off if he wants a waifu

Shit PK mate 3/10

OP here. Well, expanding from the title. Any other player kill stories?

>playing CoS
>decide this strahd guy isn't so bad
>like the cut of his jib
>work with him to kill off the entire party
>they were at the end, had been through it all

They were mad at me

> I was DM for a classic AD&D game in college.
> Players are going through the old 'Palace of the Silver Princess' and the Paladin gets offed by a Doppleganger.
> I take the Paladin player out in the hall and he says "OK, so now I have to make a new character."
> I reply as DM: "No, now you have to convince everyone you're really the Paladin."
> Que Player with giant shit-eating grin.
> Player successfully convinces rest of party that he's really the Paladin since he 'knows things'.
> Doppleganger player waits until party is bedding down for the night and tries to off the Barbarian.
> Barbarian isn't surprised and manages to win the fight with the Doppleganger.
> Surviving Characters are *HIGHLY* paranoid at this point.
> Take Barbarian player out into the hall.
> He says "Now what?"
> I look at him and reply "All you have to do is convince the rest of the party that you're really the Barbarian."
> Que player with "OH SHIT!" look on his face.
> Next 45 minutes of role playing are pure comedy gold as the rest of the PCs squabble over whether or not to murder the Barbarian.

(They did finally figure out it was really the Barbarian that survived, but he was awful close to getting murdered on general principles.)

Pic related - Barbarian's face when told "All you have to do is prove you're really the Barbarian."

Haha! You are a good person

This is genius.

I decided to run a horror-based mini-dungeon, after the players raided the BBEG's ship while she was out and found a scroll of teleportation circle(or something like that) and read it immediately after finding it.

It sent them into the city's sewers, and after a bit of walking around and getting themselves light sources, they rounded a corner and heard a very feint song.
They stood there, for a few seconds, wondering where it came from, and then a rusty suit of armor busted through the wall next to them and swung at the Cavalier(the most combat-focused person in the party).
>Roll the attack
>Nat 20
>"Uh, hold on"
>Roll again to confirm
>Total roll of 24 or something like that, above 20 when the Cavalier had an AC of ~19
>"Well shit"
>Roll damage
>Result is higher than the Cavalier's max HP
>Entire party starts wondering what's going on
>Start PMing the Cav's player, inform him that he technically just died, but since we're using Hero points, he could spend one to survive
>Player announces that he burns a Hero point to not die
>They proceed to run the fuck away from the knight at every turn, until they eventually escape the sewers

>I later realize that I only rolled so high on the damage because I accidentally hit the wrong number, and give the Cav his Hero point back

Alternatively, my first actual character kill that stuck and wasn't the result of "Oh well, we're ending the game, so everyone has decided to kill themselves"

>Exalted
>Group has been in Great Forks, city of spirits and gods, since the first session, it's now session 6(?)
>Decide to use the airship they've had since the first session to head towards the nearby Hundred Kingdoms, and conquer one, then start a campaign of conquering all of them.
>Crash their airship into the tower in the center of the kingdom that one of the PCs visited in his backstory
>Right in the middle of the King giving a speech to the guys who guard his throne room
>PCs proceed to jump down and clear the whole group of ~12 guards in one turn, then turn on the King and his two pals(a sorcerer and a duelist)
>Kill the Sorcerer before she can even cast a spell
>Kill the duelist a turn later
>The Swordsman goes in to attack the King
>Gets parried
>King puts everything he has into one big 'fuck you' attack
>Roll more than twice the swordsman's Parry
>Roll damage, enough to kill him a couple times over
>He forgot to save motes to spend on his Perfect Parry
>Gets his other arm chopped off, bleeds to death
>Game ends there, because the player made a big fuss about how he didn't want to make another character

Sounds like some bitch wanted to throw a fit over how the dice "screwed him over" on a boss battle with his special little snowflake. Good kill.

Anyone want to share a PvP story? Can't let the DMs have all the fun.

no PVP story but donk witness one player suicide and kill another (assisted suicide) in same evening.

party planes hopping, unwittingly helping grand good guy clean up messes across muntiverse.
get sent to not! Burk to get some training fighting dragons. night come, dragons attack.
only young ones, kill several. young adult red start giving them really hard time.
gunslinger keep throwing black powder super firecrackers at it, angry fire no work. gunslinger strip down,, cut finger off for rez, oil up, light all boom sticks and rush dragon yelling "eat me!"
dragon smart, not eat gunslinger.
him belly flop in front of dragon and explode.
dragon laugh so hard it crying. agree to let players go after epic diplomancy from witch. stupid monk wait until they about to leave and punch dragon one last time. dragon take full attack and rip stupid monk apart, witch lucky catch arm and poof out.

but as player donk not kill other player yet, never had good reason while playing character who would kill in party. even as donk no eat party. sure other gnoll laugh at donk behind back for dis.

I've got one, although strictly speaking it wasn't PvP. D&D game a while back, party of five, I rolled up a wizard. Party had a rogue, fighter, sorcerer and... some sort of healing type, he was really boring. The sorcerer and I didn't get along from day one, mainly because when we raided a magical library my first reaction was OH GOD SO MANY SCROLLS and hers was "I'm gonna throw fire at every enemy and burn the place down around our ears!" Not a fan.

Fast-forward several levels, and we're traveling down a tunnel when the stereotypical gelatinous cubes are dropped one either end of the party and start squelching inwards. The rogue and I beat our way through the one behind us, while the other three at the front....

I don't know if they'd never heard of a gelatinous cube before, SOMEHOW, or if they didn't figure out to stay away after the first time they had to pull the sorcerer out, but they had exhausted themselves trying to fight it and the sorcerer was enveloped AGAIN. And of course all she has is dakka spells. I'm low on things that are useful here and completely out of patience with a character that has annoyed me from day one.

So I dropped Wall of Fire through the whole fucking hall, and didn't dismiss it until the cube - and the sorcerer - were burnt to a crisp.

That was one mad player - but not as mad as when I revealed that I'd gone back the next night to loot her "grave" and taken her favorite magic item (elemental power based crystal) and later turned it into my phylactery.

Also an epic lich story. I love it.

This is impossible to read.

Not so much a player kill as much as I made the player's character unplayable from a practical standpoint (mostly because the group has some backstage politicking going on that I stay away from)

I got invited to an ongoing Anima game. They were all level 4, had been gaming for about a year, and were made up of a jackass noble who had a little bit of magic and psionics just for utility, and mostly weapon skills outside that. In story he had hired on a purely magical scholar, and a pair of martial artist bodyguards (more a bodyguard and a kung-fu maid). I joined as a mentalist who had been rendered insane from psychic backlash and thought he was part insect (think Inferno from Beast Wars).

Deciding that I was too big a risk in public to not be chaperoned, they stuck me with the bodyguard (the friend who had invited me, and a notorious power gamer in the group). Almost immediately I blink off elsewhere trying to "help the Queen" in finding some information around town. Bodyguard heads out and starts trying to find the insane, twitchy guy at local food carts.

I manage to spot him through the crowd while he fails to notice me. Rather than drawing attention by shouting, I decide to telepathically shout "SOLDIER" to him. The GM is known for making people make composure rolls when they're particularly surprised, and the bodyguard completely fails his. He winds around and punches an NPC commoner into chunky salsa. What followed was most of the remainder of the night with him running from authorities and getting onto a shipping freighter to hopefully avoid being found again.

I really kinda miss that game.

Played rogue trader with a party full of idiots that were used to playing a bastardized version of d20 modern lite or something. DM let the other players make characters from the supplements and other fantasy flight 40k games altogether. DM told me "core only" because I was "a late joiner". I wasn't too happy. We had a freeboota, an assassin from dark heresy 1E, a heretek from black crusade, our rogue trader, a ministorum priest from only war somehow, and me. I was void master. It wasn't that fun.

First things first, they go down to a planet for supplies and quest hooks, while bringing the unsanctioned freeboota. Hijinks ensue. Only I and the heretek whom was clearly evil were left on board. The heretek almost immediately tries to wrest control of the bridge and shoot me with a heavy bolter turret that was inexplicably located in one of the only rooms in the ship with a window. His BS was about 30 and he had no idea how the game worked so he missed. I charged and shot him full of holes in close combat with my bolt pistols. He whined like a bitch and the GM let him make a new character. Dark eldar of all things.

Man, that group sucked.

You killed well. You deserve a medal for discarding such trash so quickly.

>forget that one of my party members is undead

Back in 3.5, a certain necromancer class (Dread Necromancer) was, like undead, healed by harm spells and hurt by cure spells.

My brother was playing this class, trying to hide it because he's a necromancer. He was knocked down very low, so an NPC cleric immediately rushed to his aid... with a cure spell that damn near killed him.

Nah, he was perfectly fine with the way the fight went down, and he'd made it clear before that if his character died he didn't plan to roll up another one
I think I was more upset about him dying than he was, to be perfectly honest

Been wanting to run this module, might be stealing that idea now

Playing in a game that is focused on cults / cultists / dark magic etc. Each player has a different background related to some type of cult or cult like location.

The cult my character is in has a pretty family focused background. Everyone in the cult is more or less considered loved ones / family. One of the other characters wants to perform a ritual to fortify our base but it will need a lot of sacrifices.

He ends up telling me he will be sacrificing some of the members from my people. I just straight up attack and down him in a single surprise round.

Player bitches wondering why I would have a problem with this plan even with understanding the cults background.

Once I played a Pathfinder game with a LN Elf Wizard. I initially intended him to be a kind of cold, snobbish type like the sterotypical elf usually is.

As time went on however, he evolved into much more of an LE power-hungry dick who would repeatedly insult those beneath him, and almost came to blows several times with other party members (it did not help that two members were paladins who would absolutely murder anything with a hint of evil on it).

Eventually, sometime around level 7, he made a secret pact with the evil god of our setting (aka The GM) to get more power. Because our campaign was ending soon, the GM agreed to use my character as an end boss, maybe giving the other players a chance to take out their anger at my dickhead wizard.

Unfortunately for him, I don't think he realized at the time just how broken any wizard is in Pathfinder. In addition to advancing to level 13, I was also granted lichdom, along with a small fortune of gold to build my endgame dungeon. In addition to this, over the remaining sessions before endgame, I was able to convince several other party members to join my cause and serve me as generals.

My character had been minmaxed to hell even BEFORE he became a lich, so the resulting abomination of stats had something around +12 to initiative and 32 intelligence, meaning almost no one would go before me in combat or pass saves against my spells.

Needless to say, in the first round of combat I one-shotted 9 level 8 PCs who stood against me. It felt pretty good.

However it was ultimately unsatisfying as the GM fiat that followed reversed that and ensured that the PCs and I basically flung pebbles at each other until our session ended. GM declared that after a while the volcano we were on erupted and killed everyone.

We were finishing up a Traveler game, and we were selling a ship we "obtained", we had a buyer set up and he had a fancy lawyer to take care of all the shady paperwork, all we had to do was keep our mouths shut and we'd all get paid. While we were all in a closed room and finishing up the paper work, one of the PC's decided to ask "So I have this evidence detailing how the ship was actually owned and we obtained it illegally, what happens if I blow the whistle on you guys?". Everyone glances at each other. "Sooooo, should we?", the NPC's agree. Que weapons being drawn and the betraying PC being turned into red mist.
Protip: Don't betray people while in a closed room with them.

Not technically a kill, but I won a PC fight non-lethally
>Shadowrun game
>new player is joining
>chooses to enter the game as an enemy during the current run
>wtf you doing bro
>stealth-ing around our group with chameleon suit
>incredibly close, easily within a couple of meters of the party
>remember I have thermographic vision
>"Wait, since I have themo vision, can't I just see him"
>DM: "Well, that depends [new player], do you have thermo protection?"
>"uuuhhhh, no?"
>use commlinks to confirm with party that I should go ahead and capture and interrogate
>"do it"
>quick draw pistol with Stick-n-Shock ammo already loaded
>shoot him
>12/16 hits
>guy drops instantly like a bag of bricks
>we mess with him for a little bit before just fudging the RP and let him join the party
Felt a little bad for wrecking him as soon as he joined the game, but he made some poor decisions, I later helped him and the DM tweak the character.

>Que weapons being drawn and the betraying PC being turned into red mist.
A pretty solid answer to the question, honestly.

>9 PCs in one game.
It was doomed to fail from the beginning.

>9 PCs in one game
That's the 9 PCs facing me and my two generals.

A total of 12 players, it was well and truly fucked.

Party sorceress wanted to torch a roomful of goblin babies with Burning Hands.

Had to step in, m8s. I was Lawful Good, and this was some Vietnam War shit.

>mfw I actually got a crit when stepping in to stop it, and accidentally one-shotted her

Oh shit! Way to pull a Harambe!
(But really good job)

Tried for about ten minutes to talk her down. The fucking pyro wasn't having any of it when I tried to kidnap them and raise them in an orphanage as part of a well-intentioned eugenics program to make goblins less hostile. Some people just want to watch the world burn. So she had to go.

Dicks out for Harambe

Jesus fucking Christ.

This was a nice one, I was GMing a 2 man party in stars without number and they were meant to follow someone so they were going over rooftops and shit.

The party split up to have a better view of the guy they were following untill one of the two guys came next to a mall so he went up towards the roof where a security guy from the mall stopped him so instead of talking himself out of it he shot the security man and a big shootout ensued. Eventually a news aircraft which was filming the whole thing came near him on the rooftop and he hijacked it with a hookshot.
But because he didn't know how to handle that he crashed it in a forest near the city.
In the forest he was attacked by some wild animals which he handled good enough but because the atmosphere of the planet was unbreathable for him he died because his oxygen mask was out of oxygen while the authorities were looking for him for causing a shootout in a mall.

Also the guy himself was being edgy throughout the whole campaign because he got salty about us not playing his dnd 5e campaign. Normally before each session we had a small vote on what to play and I liked GMing this campaign while of the two man party the other guy also liked it so most of the time the three of us played my campaign.

On our first real campaign, me and a friend of mine got killed in the same encounter, so we got to roll up new characters. By coincidence, I made a old, good-natured cleric of Ilmater, while my friend made a rogue who had a serious grudge against Ilmaterites.
After some verbal and physical skirmishes, we ended up in a jail cell. He managed to escape the cell and leaving me locked in and set the jail on fire. I managed to survive and get out when the guards came, and then went to the inn where the party was staying. He was watching the jail to see if I'd survive, so when he saw me leaving, he impersonated a guard officer and told the guard I was a serious criminal and had to be brought back to the jail ASAP.
I was at my room at the second floor of the inn when he came for me. Fortunately, the guards' shouting alerted me, so when he came in front of the inn door, I pushed the wardrobe out the window and onto his head, killing him (we were rather low level). I got arrested and, failing to prove my innocence, executed.

We both had enough damn fun that we didn't care about both of us dying again so quickly.

Oh boy, I get to pull out the most damage I've ever done with one roll.
This is a SW d20 game (not Saga Edition, d20, which means the balance sucks bantha dick).
>Whole party is made up of opportunistic dicks, my character the closest thing to an exception
>I'm a Durian Tech Specialist in a party with an astromech (by the way, fuck you, astromechs) who has taken the Force-Sensitive feat and has a small splattering of Force skills as a result.
>OOC, two players want to end the campaign.
>They do not tell me this.

>I'm in the ship lazing about and doing Tech Specialist things while I wait for the new mission.
>So the Jedi (class, not philosophy, this guy would put Pong Krell to shame) approaches me and decides he wants all of my stuff, so he's going to kill me for it.

>I am not combat optimized, so up against a Jedi who has so much loot handed over by the GM it's a fucking travesty, I'm boned.
>I'm also pretty sure he was more than one level ahead of the party at the time.
>Fuck you, DM.
>Oh, and Guy #2 (Soldier) decides he's going to help the Jedi for a cut of the loot.
>I prepare my anus and disappointment in humanity.

>Despite being up against two people who are fuckoff broke, I somehow magically survive the first round of fighting.
>Now I have to decide between dying to the soldier and dying to the Jedi.
>But I'll be damned if I don't go out fighting, and I scrounge my brain for anything that could help me here.
>I remember that the Soldier is carrying Thermal Detonators he's not using due to the enclosed space.
>I ask the DM how many he's holding in the gigantic bag he uses to carry explosives.
>I think the final number was something idiotic like eighteen.
>Then I tell the DM, "I roll to Force Grip the bag."

>The DM, not expecting this, tells me to roll.
>Final value was, as I recall, 14.
>Praying it's enough, I wait for the DM to tell us what happens.
>Fun fact: Thermal detonators do 8d6 (28) damage.
(Cont.)

>The thermal detonators explode, killing everyone in the room, DM's not bothering with the saves.
>The resulting explosion causes the ship to explode, which is Bad News because it's a lightspeed ship and its fuel is super combustible as a result.
>All the other ships nearby blow up in a chain reaction as well, and I think that's the end of it.
>This is not the case.

>We are currently at the scoundrel's hideaway our DM gave us control over a while back because he thought we could use a home base.
>The scoundrel's hideaway is a mining asteroid.
>Which mines lightspeed fuel.
>In my defense, I didn't think the chain reaction would be this severe.
>All those miners, man.

>The asteroid splits in half, killing the entire party nearly instantly except for the metagaming sister of the DM, who flies away before the explosion can reach a ship she commandiers.
>I call out how that's obviously bullshit and she should be torched with the rest of us, but the DM appeases me by saying she's now broke and dies alone and forgotten.
>So asteroid gone, all that fuel up in space flames, whole party dead or as good as dead.

Given how much of a problem the party was, I think that this particular total party kill was for the best of the Galaxy.

>GM "fiat"

Despite my short time with Dming, I haven't killed any players thus far. Not for lack of trying or me out to get them. But there were several situations where I've almost had full party wipes and players on the verge of dying.

An example would be one encounter underground where the Halfing fighter was getting death rolled by a crocodile in the water while the rest of the party was dealing with lizardmen and a hook horror that slaughtered said lizardmen and beat the shit out of the party druid and cleric with a few natural 20's on its attacks.

Somehow they managed to survive by the skin of their teeth and without losing any limbs in the case of the Halfling fighter who was getting thrashed about in the jaws of a crocodile for most of the fight.

Needless to say, they were pretty shaken up after and weren't as ballsy from then on out and the halfling fighter had developed a fear of being near a body of water that could possibly have a crocodile in it.

I once played a game over the course of about 4 years, we were students so every other weekend we would devote about 12+ hours to play (when vacation would start we would play non stop in character for almost a week each time). Thousands of hours in character forming bonds and growing together. I played a homebrew class that essentially was an arcane druid/alchemist. Finally on the last play session when we killed Nurgel, instead of cleansing the essence and bringing an end to all plagues I absorbed the soul of the slain god and turned on my party. Four years of planning and secret keeping with the DM for one priceless moment. They thought I was joking at first, but when I got my surprise round they sobered up. Since we had just been in combat for several hours with a god they were fairly weak. That's the story of me almost losing my 5 best friends. (We still play once a month online)