D&D 5e General /5eg/

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Previous Edition:

Other urls found in this thread:

dropbox
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

How well does the game function using just the basic rules?

It's a bit bland, but it works just fine. The worst player option aren't in the basic rules, so there's no traps there

The character possibilities are very limited, but mechanically it'll play fine.

keeps things more simple

Reminder that Eberron is the best setting and you should be either playing in or planning to play in it *right now*.

When UA?

Next week. It got pushed back due to Labor Day.

Boo-urns

I have all my old Eberron books, I'd imagine it wouldn't be too hard to update shit to 5e.

Honestly, I like Eberron because it was the only setting that took a good long look at what a world where magic was a stable, useful resource would look like (actually Dark Sun and Planescape did too, sort of).

On that note, I've always wanted to play in a Planescape game that didn't do the who "we're gonna run this like it's World of Darkness or some shit" thing. Because I look at Planescape as a setting with infinite possibilities for dungeon crawling and adventuring, but it seems the fanbase largely looks at it for faction politics and pseudo-philosophical dickwaving.

>Implying I'm not currently playing in Eberron
3.5, not 5e, to be fair, but we're having some fun with unoptimized shit while we wait for our last player to come back to town to continue our campaign.
Saturday we had a session, almost got TPKd by a night twist

to me, eberron was too-high fantasy for me.

I like generic fantasy, or some place where high magic is a bit more rare, something like where Conan is set in, magic exists but it's not in every nook and cranny or up your ass.

I really want to play Dark Sun.

>houserule allowing characters to make one additional attack each round by taking a -3 on all attacks

broken or shitty?

Broken *and* shitty.

I must ask: for what purpose do you include this rule?

>playing druid
>fighter walks on a tree's roots without saying excuse me

>I like generic fantasy, or some place where high magic is a bit more rare, something like where Conan is set in, magic exists but it's not in every nook and cranny or up your ass.

Not that guy, but D&D is really not the game for it. You'll never get a Conan feel out of D&D, the magic is too safe, too normal, and too grand.

3e is back that way user

allow low-level characters to attack two different dudes in a round

why

Combat is already piss-easy in 5e unless you throw CR3 creatures at level 2 characters multiple times between rests
They'll get extra attack at 5th, they don't need it earlier

>why

Not that guy, but I'd contend that it would screw up the encounter math.

alright, that's fair enough

fuck off

>playing druid
>soldiers start clearing an area to set up a longer term camp
>they don't apologize to the trees they're killing
I wish I had speak with plants prepared so they would have had to deal with screaming trees

I do enjoy warforged, artificers, and other stuff that erreborn made, but I prefer to create my own settings and borrow elements I like from other settings.

So circumstances has it that my core rulebooks won't be with me as I make a trip to my old college buddies next town for some DnD. But yeah, how is DMing if I use pdfs? Cause a DM i played with recently had some dead air in a session cause he had to switch pdf files of the PHB and Curse of Strahd then had to swipe around cause he didn't bookmark shit. That and his tablet must be slow cause his reader kept loading pages. That and he uses a DM app to track HP/initiative so he'd switch apps too. Now, I am no expert on it but is it just him or is DMing primarily on pdf a tad of a hassle? I feel like I might end up dealing with that compared to simply flipping the pages of my hardcopies which have tiny post-its that serve as bookmarks.

It works well but you have limited options and you can only play at low levels so you are only a local hero. There are a few adventures on DMs Guild that were made for use with the basic free rules as well as the starter set Lost Mine of Phandelver. The basic rules are intended to teach people the mechanics of play at a basic level before they move on to buying the PHB and getting all the bells and whistles. You could still get weeks even months of play out of it if you had to but if you are hooked on playing with the basic rules you'll want more relatively quickly.

Eberron*

All of the big PDFs in the Mega trove are already bookmarked, so if you're familiar with their basic layout already (which you should be from reading them), going through them isn't any slower than the physical book.

Is Firbolg in SKT or will it just be in Volo's?

Just in Volo's. SKT contains no new character options.

Damn, none at all? That sucks.

Use a laptop. Use one note to keep notes and plan. Look for the smaller size PDF files so your laptop/notebook/gadget will have an easier time loading it. You can use a free pdf app to bookmark and annotate your PDF as well.

Also note that you can two weapon fight without any feats or anything. Gives you a second attack with your off hand as a bonus action.

Any cool magic items in SKT? But better spoiler them if you know.

What's the general consensus on the DM's Guild? I just took my first look and wasn't exactly impressed. I feel like I can equal or better homebrew on GITP of Middle Finger of Vecna.

DM's Guild is, like all randomly outsourced media with zero quality control and zero editing, full of a great deal of garbage.

The runes from the prestige class UA are in there (minus the prestige class). They have the simple properties + a way to put them on mundane items to make them magical. There are more runes in SKT than in the UA, of course.

>Honestly, I like Eberron because it was the only setting that took a good long look at what a world where magic was a stable, useful resource would look like (actually Dark Sun and Planescape did too, sort of).

Khorvaire I always saw as basically being a generic fantasy world (relatively speaking) that rather being stuck in the late 14th/early 15th century like most fantasy settings are gradually grew it's "technology" (namely magic) until it reached the early 20th century where they them had the Great War right on schedule.

My favorite Eberron character I ever made as an LE changeling Fighter/Assassin who was almost literally this guy right here.

Can only the Rune Mages or what they're called use these runes or who can?

Anyone can, they require attunement like any magical item.

This is just going off what an user posted about them like a week ago though. I'll know more tomorrow when my book comes in.

>DM's Guild
Plagiarism ahoy.

/5eg/, tell me... is it possible to truly unleash the power of ROCK? if so how have you done it/seen it done?

You are correct. Mostly trash on GMs Guild that people have stolen or marginally adapted from shit posted on forums. Some of it is people trying to monetize on their crap homebrew or tool they made. I get adventures off there and some of the guides but avoid anything rules related like the plague.

Whenever our Viking-esque Valor Bard uses sonic spells he frequently fluffs it as rock.

Level 3 Human Fighter (Battle Master)
16 Str, 10 Dex, 16 Con, 8 Int, 12 Wis, 13 Cha
Feat - Heavy Armor Master
Longsword and shield.
Chain mail.
Dueling fighting style.
Disarming attack, feinting attack, pushing attack.

Feels fucking ridiculously and consistently strong.

So just ran my session.

Group stole from a merchant wagon bringing healing supplies into the dying city, talked their way into the plague city , 'cured' a little girl by chopping off her arm to stop the plague spreading into her.

They then discovered a group of peaceful protestors who were about to be set on by the tyrannical mercenary guards. The half orc grappled the leader of the peaceful protestors , a 70 year old lady , tied her up, calmed the rest of the crowd until they dispersed then lrft her to the guards to beat up. The tyrannical guards were then ambushed by the resistance leader and they set his armour on fire with a spell and shot him until he died along with his men.

What session did you realise your group were sociopaths TG?

Does he know what evil lurks in the minds of men?

>volos guide to monsters is coming out
>my group already knows what characters they are going to make
>dm said setting is going to be in swordcoast

So 2 Orcs, a goblin and a drow walk into neverwinter seeking adventure

>not playing Firbolg and going full Banner Saga

NeverWinter is the most cosmopolitan city in all of Faerun according to Volo himself so if theres anywhere they could manage that it would be the city of Neverwinter.

And if you're playing in the midst of the spellplague then the city has gone so to shit they'd be relieved to see a Drow over a spell plagued monstrocity.

I was fine with my group's bargaining with demons, and less than kind treatment of bandits, but then they had to stab the poor fisherman they paid to ferry them across the river after they missed the last ferry of the night.

Yes....the Phantasm knew.
The concept worked really well, with the Shadow's "master of disguise" shtick being his changeling powers, and by day he masqueraded as a wealthy man who's identity he assumed after returning home from the Last War where he spent time masquerading as a human soldier for Breland.

He even did the Shadow's silly dual-wielding thing, with silvered short swords and paired repeating crossbows, the silver being a reference to the nickeled .45's.

This is basically me, but I'm a paladin whose manoeuvres involve sprinkling holy water to make people hit better, telling creatures to come 1v1 me and then hitting those creatures really hard.

Having a great time.

So is the official "artificer" tradition even any good?

Neverwinter is a lot shittier in 5e since it sort of exploded in 4e and is now being rebuilt by it's current lord, but I know a LOT of people who ignore that or flatly say that it's already rebuilt.

Not hard to believe when entire pits in the ground the size of nations got randomly filled up out of nowhere in the edition change.

Personally I went trip attack, rally, and precision attack on my S&B fighter but yeah in early levels HAM fighters with S&B fighting styles (duelist or defensive) are almost unkillable and tough as nails.

Well, it's a wizard, that can make potions of healing and utility items that can last their duration without concentration, so they're mechanically fine. Good, even.

The "make magic items" bit at higher levels is pretty lame though, as is imbuing nonmagical items with magic--which, in a high-magic setting like Eberron where uncommon magic items are pretty easy to get, may be more or less useless.

>Look it up
>At level 14 you can make one magic item a month from A & B Magic Item table
>90% of the items are shit

Talk about underwhelming.

Being able to act as a healer as a Wizard could be useful.

Yeah that's about what I thought. Even still it doesn't seem to be anywhere near as good as some of the other schools, Illusion in particular being ridiculously good.

nice, I always love characters inspired by other media with their own twist. good on you sounds like he was fun.

I had a hard time justifying his LE alignment; the worst he did was murder people who hadn't been convicted of crimes quite yet or had gotten away with them legally, which is more CG then LE.

I always felt The Shadow would be Evil-aligned though since his whole shtick is that he's an evil man who has found constructive ways to utilize his evil tendencies.

Yeah I'm currently running it in 5E but during the 4E spellplague as it's far more interesting with all the factions flying around with their plots including a clan of Aboleths trying to drain the essense of a Primordial god to rise themselves up into gods themselves so they can slay the other gods who struck their race down. Not to mention the Thayan necromancers trying to raise a dracolich with the same primordial energy and the followers of an Asmodeus cult summoning demons left right and centre as they try to take over the city.

It's bat shit crazy epic fantasy and I love it.

>UA
>Official

UA are just Mearls' shit homebrew he's considering for internal playtesting.

No.

The Shadow is CE, but because CE has been so heavily tarnished by a certain Batman villain people can't think of anything other than madmax when you say CE.

Why when I could just steal what I want from it and add it to my far more enjoyable (to myself and my players) homebrew setting?

I always bastardize and take the whole "you can worship whatever gods despite alignments, the Church of the Silver Flame, and the idea of at least one or two organizations that can and do make magical gear for people though it's usually shit like a +1 Ox Plow or something).

Yeah, pretty much none of what 4e did appealed to me so I know how you feel.
Meh. To each his own.

My maps are on a centimeter scale, not an inch scale, and I've been looking a while for minis but haven't found any.

Is there a place where I can buy 1cm minis, or am I fucked and should switch to inch scale?

Use pushpins.

Why are your maps on a centimeter scale?

i hope kobold PC stats are in there

I laminated centimeter-paper, and cut some cardboard squares as tentative minis, to make exploring dungeons more easy.
Later I wanted to buy 3d minis and realized, that all minis are based on a inch scale.

What is the lewdest thing that happened to your party? How awkward was it?

We had to chase a guy through a brothel a little while ago and had to make some Acrobatic and Athletics checks to vault over some couples and whores.

We got arrested for it later and the stupid guy even got away.

>read through the 2nd half of the CoS adventures
>no magical weapons, only magical armor is studded leather

why do they cuck fighters/barbarians/paladins so hard?

Hey guys

My PCs have been fighting through this subterranean dungeon in order to save the local noble, who's been kidnapped by Kuo Toas for reasons unknown.

Basically a Doppelganger is manipulating the KuoToas, disguised as Blibdoolpoolp, as he figures that he'll get a much better standard of living by being the Count instead of thet leader of Fishguys mcInsane.

Anyway,
As the "final" scene I was thinking that, if they fail to prevent the Doppelganger to flee with the Count, they'll find both of them on a bridge upon a maelstrom. Of course, the Doppelganger will take the Count's form, and the players will have to guess who's who.

Any thoughts on that? I'm a bit scared it'll backfire somehow, but eh.

Seems okay to me.
It might indeed backfire but it's pointless hesitating based on what MIGHT happen.

The irl virgin bard got lucky.

Even better, Since the doppelganger has been acting as barbie with a lobster head, the Kutoa's rituals have been more fervent and ended up summoning the real Blibdoolpoolp into the realm.

is there a storm king's thunder player's guide yet? like how elemental evil had one

My barbarian player tried to rape a fat orc woman. However she was stronger than him and it sorta turned into reverse rape.

It was just awkward enough to be hilarious.

No, just like there wasn't one for CoS, or HotDQ or RoT, or OotA.

I've thought of that already, but I really don't need to make the session longer, and it's supposed to be our last. It's already going to be a bit difficult since my players are pretty slow and passive.

But goddamn do I love Kuo Toas for low level parties. They're just so fucking good.

There are no player options in SKT.

Hey guys I got into my first 5e game, making my first character so wish me luck. Here's a doodle of him, he's an Arakocra.

The right looks like one of Plague Knight's minions in Shovel Knight. I approve.

Looks pretty fucking sweet. I'd like to be able to draw like that. What "doctor" are you building?

Thanks, I based his outfit partially from the recent Kingdom Death doctor mini they released, I bought one just to have.

Well at first I was just going to make a voodoo-y life domain Cleric but my GM showed me an Alchemist homebrew that I really, really like. You can check it out here:

dropbox com/sh/q299bpstf9n7wun/AADcYS9SLRiJSOUBRAil58ZTa/Alchemist?dl=0

Cool drawing. Hope you have fun.

Planescape really was a victim of the time it came out; it showed so many signs of wanting to be a 'big kid' game like all the other 90s stuff. (Seriously, as a fan of WoD, there is nothing worse than the 'anti-DnD' attitude that White Wolf and other companies took, not only because it was hypocritical as all hell, but it made things even more dated than the 'gothic-punk' aesthetic.)
The game works fine when it's all about being able to go to strange places and encounter strange things, powered by the awesome art (with god-tier DiTerlizzi front and center). It gest bad when it tries to be deep and meaningful, making the factions seem important, or treating the Lady of Pain as an impressive enigma, instead of just a living macguffin whose existence is necessary to keep the setting from imploding in a puff of logic.
The worst parts are the handful of setting books that spend 100+ pages telling you that 'these places will kill you instantly, and there's no reason to travel here', and the terrible, terrible campaign books that lead PCs by the nose, explain nothing, bash them over the head with their insignificance, and leave them with no understanding or reward by the end. (Took me years to understand what people saw in Monte Cook after reading 'Dead Gods'.)

Given that most of the 4E changes were the equivalent of a skateboarding dog that's sooooo cooooool, the fact that it was gotten rid of by declaring 'my planet needs me' and poofing away was perfectly fine in my book.

It didn't happen to the party and didn't happen at the table, but it was weird and kinda uncomfortable so I won't tell it here.

The elven swashbuckler made comments about the dwarven arcane trickster. They both got drunk and had a bit of fade to black fun.
They're both male.

Then the tiefling paladin started scoping out the bust size of various female NPCs.

4e setting stuff was a bullet point list of "what's hip with the kids in fantasy these days" and then mashing them into a single setting with no explanation and less sense without context.

It was clearly trying VERY hard to be cool.

What's the one and only book I should read to learn to love Eberron? Always heard/read it's great but I don't have a lot of time to read setting books.

My lewd days are confined to the 3E era; campaigns these days are relatively tame, even the ones inspired by LotFP adventures.

Just read the core setting book and try to think of it as "D&D fantasy world hits the 1930's and meets pulp adventure".
If you like it fine, if not that's okay too.

3.5e Eberron Campaign Setting book. The 4e one isn't bad either, honestly.

Question about Ranger spellcasting.

Do Rangers require a focus to cast? I was surprised to see that they need to have a component pouch, so I wouldn't be surprised if they needed to have a focus as well.

Also, if anyone is tinkering with Ranger fixes regarding Hunters Mark, has anyone decided to add a Greater Hunters Mark that acts like the Oathbow's ability (you mark an opponent with the mark and for the next 7 days, cover only works if it is total cover, you have advantage against them AND they take extra damage. However, you can only have one Greater Mark active at a time and it only ends when it is dead, you are dead or seven dawns have passed since you marked them).

My Ranger fixes? Spellcasting becomes an archetype-only ability, Foe Slayer gets folded into Favored Enemy. Hunters Mark is gained at 2nd level and is limited to 3+Wismod/LRest with the caster level being ranger level/3. Two new Archetypes (Slayer and Mystic), one focusing on the "Serial Killer" vibe Wizards stripped out, the other being a mystically empowered instrument of Natures Vengeance with their signature ability allowing them to treejaunt. Still working on making a new capstone for all Rangers, as Foe Slayer got folded into vanilla Favored Enemy

How do you mean "it didn't happen to the party?"

Yeah, say what you will about Greenwood's magical realms, Salvatore's BDSM DBZ, and Grubb's....er....whatever people say when they criticize Grubb, but you can tell that the Realms as they portray it comes from what they like, not what the marketing department said that people like.
You can see that in a lot of the settings. Dragonlance is at its best when it's Mormon Lord of the Rings, then tapers off when Minotaur legions or Jedi vs. X-men stories show up. Planescape works great when it's weird vistas and shady characters, but starts losing out when it tries to be more like Shadowrun or Vampire. The further Dark Sun travels from Brom, the worse it gets (until you end up with loads of rejected-Exalted art in the 4E book.) And so on.