Attachment to Characters

How do you as a GM deal with a player who threatens to quit if his character ever dies?

Dark Heresy 2.0, if it matters.

Call their bluff

Put him in a coma.

Kill his character.

Let them.

Have something much worse happen to their character.

The simple aswer would be why-would-you-want-to-play-with-such-person-in-the-first-place. But I'm guessing the situation is more complicated than that, else you've would've just gone with already.

Slowly cripple their character into uselessness.

Alternatively kill the character and let what happens happen.

Or talk to him like an adult about what kind of game Dark Heresy is, and if he doesn't want to play a high mortality game then see if there's something else he would play.

Or if you don't want to run anything else, tell him before playing that it's best if he finds another group then.

Well in Dark Heresy there's fate points to keep people alive. As long as you aren't going out of your way to kill him I don't really see the big deal in needing to burn one when the dice gods demand it. If he ran out either you were out to get him or there was a series of poor judgement calls

In the past I've had a GM that had decreed "One fate point isn't enough" in the past which I think is kind bullshit for most situations, but otherwise I'd say just let him die. Either he's the shit head, and you're down one shit head, or you were the ass, and he can move on. I don't really see the problem

>Let them.
This user gets it.

>threatens to quit if his character ever dies
>dark heresy

laugh.

I don't let people try to commandeer a game like that. If they say to me "Hey, I'd rather not have a high mortality game" I'll find a game we all want to play and I'll gladly run it. If they make a threat of walking out I'd rather they walked out than let them dictate whether or not the rest of the party has fun.

You don't. Let the dice fall as they may.

Channel your inner John Wick. Don't kill the character, just make the player suffer.

Kill the character. It'd be a valuable life lesson for the player.
And then find another player.

Aside from the fact that you seem to have manchilds at your table, I would discuss with the player why he doesn't want his char. to die, because that sounds like this person have a personal problem, then I wouldn't change anything in one way or the other because the risk of death is part of the game, and it would be a disservice to everyone to give him an immortality card.

Tell them their attachment to the character is meaningless without the tension of mortality, and that sooner or later they'll be making another character anyway--if not for Dark Heresy, then for whatever other campaigns they'll be in. They should be excited to make new and compelling characters, not afraid of losing the one good concept they think they have. You're only as good as your last character.

>Channel your inner John Wick. Don't kill the character
Did we watch the same movie? Because all he ever did was kill or try to kill someone.

check out wick's dm guide

I feel your pain user.
I DM with my coworker and some of his family/mutual friends and we play at his house because no one else has a suitable place to play.
>Never try to actively kill him but he makes dumb choices sometimes
>They get into a hard encounter
>Well if my character dies then you can all get the fuck out of my house and we wont be playing anymore
I really didn't know what to say to that. Isn't rolling a new character with a fresh idea half the fun?

Let them know that the game might not be for them if they can't handle the possibility that their character can die. It's immature and ruins the point of even rolling dice.

Kill him, go into obscene detail about helpless death as his body is violated and ripped apart by demons.

Then tell him to get his coat.

I have no familiarity with these games

Is it a big deal if someone quits after they die?

It's childish. Especially in a game that's very easy to die in.

Well if the character can be revived I like to try and get my characters revived. Pay the penalty and continue their story and all.

>Dark Heresy

Why would they play that game if they couldn't deal with character death

New question;
GM has a big plot line going, and PCs are tied up in it pretty tightly.
He's also mentioned that if we wind up dead, if we want to come back it will be possible, albeit with certain costs.
Okay.

Is it unfairly influencing to openly state, "Eh, if my character dies I'm going to roll up something new." when my character is pretty plot-significant, and (at least from a player perspective) kind of vital?

I don't want to be being scummy here, but I'm not sure how to deal with it.

There's circumstances where I think walking on a death is okay, but not really any of them would include using it as a threat

John Wick the game designer, not the movie character.

At least if the movie character is fucking you over you deserve it

did he say he'll quite gaming with you if he dies or did he say he'll quite showing up to session for that campaign? Because I wouldn't want to listen to people roleplay with no interaction for hours every week.

Don't let him control the group. I'd say make him GM but that sounds like a lot of control freak/ego to deal with so just let what happens happen. If the dice lead to his death, tough. Then you can shrug and calmly walk out as his friends and family see him have a temper tantrum.

Run them as an NPC.

What if I don't trust the GM with my PC?
Like, the point of saying I'm not going to cheat death is that I think doing so would discredit the character itself, and I don't think the GM would play my character well if he took conrol?

Am I just being a prissy bitch? Is there a better way to do it? Should I just lie/mislead so he doesn't bend rules in favor of my survival? Should I just expect him to have some workaround or provide for this, and for this not to be an issue?

There's a pretty simple solution

Instead of getting killed, maybe they get captured or give them a disfiguring wound. I had a burglary gone wrong that turned into a gigantic bar fight where every single patron landed a critical on my ass get me sent to prison instead of getting killed (because the fight was completely unintended to happen or go that way; my character could have slaughtered them in three rounds if he didn't roll to go last)

>What if I don't trust the GM with my PC?
To be blunt, tough shit. If you don't want to play him and he's important to the GM's plot he'll do it. Talk to your GM, he might be able to just work him out of the story or you can give him notes on your character so he can represent them better.

And people in hell want ice water, your point?

Tell them that if that's the attitude they're going to keep they might as well just leave now. Characters die, especially in something like dark heresy.

Right now they're being that kid who threatens to go home if they don't get what they want. So your options are to talk to them, and get them to adult the fuck up. You're all there to have fun and hang out with one another, right now they're not.
Or tailor every combat and environmental challenge in such a way that they have 0 chance of death. Bonus passive aggressive points if you make the latter extremely obvious. Have baddies leave them at 1 hp and then entirely ignore them, to go off and kill another character.

I don't see the big deal, roleplaying an inanimate corpse is kind of hard and some people simply don't want to waste time rolling up something new when the character they've been planning stuff about for weeks or months, whom they actually give a shit about, is no longer available.
Just let 'em walk if anything happens, is that not better than forcing everyone in the game into an uncomfortable situation with a player who no longer wants to be there?

If they're a rreasonable person, they're probably anxious that their character will die unfairly at some point, or that they don't feel in-control of their character's survivability. If they're reasonable, just talk with them about it.

If they're an unreasonable moron with such a low maturity level as to try levering their membership in order to keep their character alive, just dump them already. Their membership isn't worth special ttreatment.

Sort of thread-related, but I had a player in one game where, upon presenting his character/character sheet (which was well done and thought out, and all that jazz), added the caveat to their involvement in the game that:

1) The character could not be killed, or otherwise permanently removed from the game (put in a coma, for example, or any other bullshitery that has already been type above), and

2) The character couldn't have any permenant injuries, ailments, or otherwise "binding effects" applied to them (no getting a hand cut off, for another example, or being put in prison for a long period).

Player didn't last long, especially when, after I pointed out that that stuff happens, you know, as part of game - some of which I can't control (like a dice role, or the players own stupidity), they responded that they knew, and asked me to ignore that if it happened.

>Dark Heresy 2.0, if it matters.

Kill them, and offer cybernetic resurrection. There's rules for it in the Inquisitor's handbook for old DH, but it's not hard to adapt to DH2.

>becoming attached to a character
>in a grimdark setting
shiggy diggy

>mfw i have gotten really attached to my character in wfrp 2e

Expand the party by another player first.

Kill their character.

Any specific reasons you don't want to say him bye? Because it sounds like a huge bitch to me.

>Kill them, and offer cybernetic resurrection
...as a servo skull.

>GM deal with a player who threatens to quit if his character ever dies?

I ignore it.

Death is part of DH. Its the stick as opposed to the carrot. If they are allowed to belive that their character is invincible they'll turn into a khornate munchkin and destroy all your GM storyline in the name of "not railroading". Hell i'd purposefully make things deadlier to them. However weather they live or die is, as it always is, down to the dice.

Also, whats all this about going home and crying because your character died? When my characters die, i make them die spectacularly.

If they want to live that badly it's their responsibility, not the GM's. They can choose to play it safe. They can choose to fight unfairly. They can choose to minimize their risks.

The character lives or dies by the actions of the player. If that means a player walks out, then that simply means I've opened a spot for someone with a bit more mettle.

Let them.

It is not the GM's job to keep the PCs alive.

Those are some ballsy demands to lay out for the GM, i hope he died in an extra embarrassing way.

>change nothing
>they die
>they quit
>continue

You're not getting special protection that isn't afforded to the rest of the group because you're in love with your fantasy. You're also not going to buy plot armor for the entire party so you can run around doing all the stupid shit you like.

Servitor's aren't dead. neither are chaos spawn.
You kept your side of the deal, he's trapped until the servitor dies.

Remind them they are playing call of cthulhu.

It sounds like you arent as invested int he story as the rest of the players are if your more concerend with power then with being your character.

I'd suggest asking the dm to npc your guy and see if you can play someone less dead then.

You don't get to care about your pc and refuse to play them because they got a penalty.

It stopped being yours when you threw them away.

Play with adults. If a player can't deal with their characters dying then they probably shouldn't play any role playing game that isn't Golden Sky Stories. That being said I have a similar stance on dying as the player in question, however I don't tell anyone else that let alone hold it over their head like a threat.

Did they even get to the first session?

I guess I'd appreciate them being honest with me and saying as much before I let them know I'm not letting them join

Don't bend over backwards for them.

If the character dies, they die.

However it would be nice that in the case of death they get some kind of final "last hurrah."

>>Well if my character dies then you can all get the fuck out of my house and we wont be playing anymore

He sounds like that one acquaintance from middle school who sperged out if you beat him at any game.

So if a game was otherwise reasonably good and then your character died, you would just quite the game? Why? Even if your character dies, wouldn't it be more fun to keep playing with a new character rather than just leaving?

Yes I would leave. I agree it would be more fun to stick around and play a new character, but I don't want to cheapen my character's death by showing up with a replacement. I'd like for there to be weight behind my character dying, maybe I'm immature in my own way for taking a game so seriously but I am a firm believer that "fun" isn't always the best way to entertain.

>Isn't rolling a new character with a fresh idea half the fun

I don't really think so. What he's doing is incredibly spergy and inappropriate, of course, but I feel like a lot of what's going on in this thread is a collision of two different RP traditions.

I, personally, get incredibly invested in my long-term PCs. My current PC has been with me since the start of the campaign, over a year and a half ago, and I'll be honest: If he died, I'm not sure how eager I would be to make a new one. Even if I did, whatever character I made would be less detailed, and I would be less invested.

I haven't told the GM this, of course, because how is he supposed to take that but as an ultimatim? I'm just trying to keep him alive.

I'd tell them that if they aren't interested in having the potential for their characters to die, they are in the wrong game, and that I will not pull any punches for them. If they want to over react and leave if their character dies, it's up to them.

Then, if their character dies, they can either suck it up, or throw a fit. If anyone throws a fit in one of my games, I throw them out. I don't enjoy it, but someone like that is better off gone.

I had that happen. Guy's character died to a bullshit crit right near the end of a long campaign. I had spent a lot of the game building up a storyline involving him, and we had already had some deaths and resurrections. He just refused and rolled a new character. It annoyed me greatly.

Yes... Yes, slowly take them apart one limb at a time.

Never seen this happen or heard about it except on this shitty board.

Usually it's the other way around, the players want their character to be able to die, while the GM steadfastedly refuse anything that might disrupt his ticket to ride fantasy.

#edgyasfuck

I assume I made a mistake in my posts, but there's not really any power at stake here. It's mostly just that the pc believes strongly in power by one's own hand, and the implied deals with the devil to stay alive go counter to that. Eg,if you're paying a CG cleric, you aren't very likely to bite if a devil approaches you going, "Gee, what a shame you died. You know, I could renew your lease on life if you did a few things for me..."

Any weakening I spoke of was from a storytelling, not mechanical, perspective.

Similarly, I'm a player and have only a player's perspective on what these options or costs may be. It's entirely conceivable that there will be something I can work with, I just am not coming up with such off the top of my head.

Never had either happen to me. I always wonder where Veeky Forums finds all it's shitty players.
Maybe it helps that iv'e never played with random LFGS/roll20 people.

So you laughed at them and told them to fuck off, right?

>I've personally never experienced common thing so common thing must never actually happen

No, you're just lucky.

If you've never played with randos, then obviously you'll never experience a problem almost exclusive to the kind of people who seek out random games.

This.

Dark Heresy is supposed to bring the acolytes laughably close to death on a regular basis, but with the ability to get out of such situations with the Emperor's luck (and a slippery mind).

The golden rule of DMing is that it shouldn't be the rolls or the monsters that kill your PCs but rather their own boneheaded decisions.

Thats how it's happened every single time for me as a player (since I have reasonable DMa)

Please tell me you told this guy 'no.'