MtG Spoilers

Aaaaand there goes any chance of competitive aggro lists. May as well have been Thragtusk just to rub it in.

Huh, that's decent I think?

This stream is cringe-worthy

It really depends on how good energy ends up being, because by itself it's just a worse javelin.

It's not terrible, but my big fear is that energy is gonna end up like splice-into-arcane, where it's just ends up as a shitty block gimmick.

The stream is fucking atrocious.

Gruul beatdown seems pretty cool

by itself a bit behind the curve of what I want for burn, but I like how it interacts with other energy sources.
If you only need it to deal 1 or 2 damage, you get extra energy for later, where a lightning spear is just excess. And if you have energy you can use it to take down something bigger.

a bit weak for constructed, but really good removal at for limited. It's uncommon though.

This seems good.

Splice into Arcane requires other arcane cards in order for that mechanic to matter, energy-based cards work independently but also synergise with other energy-based cards.

S P I C Y
P
I
C
Y

i don't think it's going to be as bad, because energy is showing up a lot more than arcane did.
Being able to be on every card type, rather than just instants and sorcery a big deal.

Splice was a thing that was often hard to even get to matter for limited, outside of a few cards, where energy is a thing that can start using in almost every limited deck, with dedicated energy decks possibly being able to do more.

More vehicles when. I need information if I'm going to make WackyRacers.dec.
Really digging this.

We just saw Mark Rosewater crushing a new player and laughing at her. And Tabak puns were awesome.

What a fucking horrible pic... I want to puke...

I don't think you understand. This is Midrange: The Tappening now. It's easier to hype up a game on a Twitch/Youtube stream for non-players if that game lasts more than 4 turns, and it's more exciting to non-players if there are lots of creatures and things on the board. The more counters there are on those creatures, the better. Games that either end quickly or are battle of wits fought be people with lots of cards in their hands are not okay for Magic anymore, for better or worse.

I think a lot of people misunderstand WotC and by extension. People watched the Bant v. Bant mirror yesterday at Worlds and thought, "This sucks." WotC and Hasbro watched that and thought, "This is better." Why? It looks like Hearthstone. The camera wasnt watching an empty board state. It gave the fascade of something happening, even though it was a boring stalement.

I'm going to capitalize this because everyone misses the point; WOTC DOES NOT CARE ABOUT WHAT ITS CURRENT PLAYER BASE THINKS. THEY ONLY CARE ABOUT INCREASING THE MARKET 1) SHARE and 2) SIZE. This is because they are a business. Hearthstone is currently the golden boy of the card game market; thus, investors, executives and board members of Hasbro and WotC will try and emulate Hearthstone in attempt to 1) snatch some of their market share, and 2) appeal to people who don't already play Magic.

Vehicles play into this. Energy plays into this. Everything you see from now on will increase the activity of the board state and prolong the length of the game. You cannot market a product if the average game of your product is over in less than 4 minutes. You cannot market a product if it is played solely in the minds of the players. I am not making value judgments, just telling you what is happening.

>4/3 with trample for 2 mana

that's really, really good

Tabak was also very awesome at the improv comedy on Saturday.

that's how I like my life gain. Incidental on a creature I'm already happy to cast.
Limited spell, but makes me like green.

3/2 for 2 that give you advantage even if they kill it right away, and could potentially fuel other cards once just being a 3/2 or 4/3 doesn't matter.
Able to punch through as a 4/3 with trample when you need it to.

I'm in.

It's amazing just how much worse it is than Restoration Angel.

Yeah, he was the high of that show. But, as much as I like Allison, she was the low. >:)

Was Allison the one who didn't play Magic? Because she shouldn't have been on that improv comedy panel.

it's also uncommon and made for limited

Don't worry, we've got Eldrazi Displacer for standard decks still

I just know that a new infinite combo was born.

>okay guys, so we took off flash and gave Resto one more power
>this means we have to increase the mana cost by 1W
>you know, for balance reasons

And uncommon rarity.

It's a limited bomb.

Allison was the brunette one. She is a community manager and writer for flavor texts. I think the blonde one (don't know the name) don't play Magic. But I missed what was her role.

Oh, it's fixed resto.

By which I mean it was literally nerfed in half, and people are gonna play it in constructed anyway.

The community manager one made some great jokes as well.
All in all, though, it was a very fun panel. I keked a lot. Would watch that kind of stuff once a week if I could.

resto was rare and extremely good.
Also having two of these they can flicker each other infinitely, which resto can't.

Energy could be as ubiquitous as any other counters mechanic, and it's guaranteed to show up in any set that has proliferate but no poison.

If money permits, they really should make stuff like that once in a while. It is a nice way to display products and show pro players. Nathan Holt is awesome too as an announcer / host.

I'm honestly not even sure why MTG even gives a shit about HS. It will be dead in another year and MTG will keep riding the 20+ year train of dominance. The MTG playerbase has continued to climb throughout HS's lifespan.

Nice blog.

Wow, that's actually a half-way decent card, might even be constructed playa--
>sorcery
oh

People were complaining about "Creatures: the Tappening" before Heartstone.

Magic with a bigger focus on creatures is better. People just call it dumbing down because its different than when they started playing magic. It could swing back the other way and in 6 years this board would be filled with "god, Spells: the Countering is so dumbed down, back in my day you used to have to navigate complex boardstates, not just shoot down or counter every threat"

2 Whipweaver Angel, 1 Panharmonicon, and 1 Gibbering Fiend win the game instantly. Any piece can be fetched by Nahiri. Add green/some delirium for traverse the ulvenwald, eldritch evolution, grapple with the past, and vessel of nascency to find your pieces. Goblin Dark-Dwellers can cast an eldritch evolution you milled to get a Wispweaver Angel.

Is this a real deck?

All-resounding meh.

Ive been thinking if building fading bruna and that angel made my dick hard
Then I remembered

People calling red creature removal "burn" triggers the shit out of me. BURN GOES TO THE FACE.

What, are you waiting for a vehicle bigger than Demolition Stomper or something?

Nope. Its parts can be replaced easily by a bunch of other more efficient cards.

> you now have to spend two mana to deal three damage to just a creature
Why does WotC hate burn so much?

I'd play it in Draft.

Can't say no to a cantrip, personally.

the phrase was created when the cards could do both, lighting bold and fireball.
Both are burn spell, both are most commonly cast at creatures.

Deal x damage to thing is burn. Deal with it.

Cool.

Cool. Like a less useable eldrazi devestator.

Red is the best at the only thing that matters, so they have to constantly shit on it.

That's modern playable.

Mono white aggro has been really popular in the current standard

But it's cool so I'm probably going to build it anyway.

You are bad at magic

Where would it even fit in?

Jund?

this can deal from 1 to ???? damage based on your energy pool.

its far more versitle than you are giving it credit for.

Do you think WotC put enough effort into making energy as abundant as possible without it feeling too oppressive?

Kinda worried that the energy cards will barely see any play, since you actually have to run quite the energy package to make the payoff worth it.

Well yeah, but I think it's attractive since you can scale it. Energy seems like an annoying mechanic though.

I doubt there will be a competitive energy accumulation deck in standard.
Just like there won't be a good vehicle deck in standard.
Or a good fabricate deck in standard.

What there will be are decks that incorporate one or two goodstuff cards that can operate on their own, like for example. But no deck in the top8 is going to be built around energy, vehicles or any Kaladesh mechanic.

Expect to see one or two good energy cards being used, one or two good fabricate cards being used and absolutely no vehicle cards being used.

not really, the Lightning Strike makes the energy it needs, and the "energy generator" cards so far, are good enough to play in standard.

seems like a powerful mechanic to me.

From what I've seen its going to be very abundant in this block. My only concern is how to count the charges.

this is an energy card that literally plays cards 6 deep into your deck for free.

>what are beads

there are literally energy tokens in packs.

get a fucking dice, and put it on the token.

already seen enough to know that in limited it's going to be a consideration. You can run these cards without other energy, but considering how good your energy generation is and your uses is going to be a big part of drafting.

Seen enough that I'm willing to say at energy cards are going to see play in standard, the burn spell and the RG card are enough to say that. I'm not sure if massive energy generation is supposed to be a thing, and energy might part of decks without it getting dedicated decks.

Modern/legacy is going to be hard, because these cards build up on each other in a fairly fluid way, and for the most part cards break into modern when they are enough to be added on their own into decks. Unless at least 3 cards are good enough to use together in modern, no energy card is getting into modern.

dont think it fits in any modern deck currently but it could be played in some kind of RG aggro deck that was a hybrid of zoo and mono g stompy

Not really free since you have to have 6 permanents die to use it

Gruul Zoo/Beatdown

What is the point of burn that only targets creatures? It's literally just a strictly worse form of black removal.

OR

OR

have 6 energy from other cards.

>a dice
>a
>dice
>a
>d i c e
>A
>D I C E

energy doesn't feel like a mechanic you necessarily have to build around.
It's more like morbid, you have things that use it, but it's not defining your deck.
But it kinda scales off itself, kinda like how all morbid cards became more reliable once you started adding in more cards that killed or sacced.

dedicated energy strategies like I'll wait and see on

1st turn Nacatl/Guide/Ape, 2nd turn Burning Tree Emissary into this, then 3rd turn Guide/Ape/Nacatl/Bolt, Reckless Bushwhacker. The fact that it has TRAMPLE after the pump means you cant block this guy profitably.

Energy seems to be pushed hard for RG. These 2 create a standard RG aggro shell already.

>he doesn't have multiple a dice at home
Get out of my face, kid

then get enough energy token.

the black version of this card only generates 2 energy.
Red creature burn cards have better efficiency than black -x/-x cards.

Okay, Veeky Forums.

Here's all of the available energy cards we have at hand right now.

Make a viable deck built around the energy mechanic.

its puzzleknot's Voltaic brawlers, harness Lightning and Aetherwork marvel.

have some insane cards to play off the marvel and there, Energy.dek

This would be like randomly selecting 10 Infect creatures and saying "Okay, you can only build a deck with these!" and acting like that says anything about the mechanic.

R/G beatdown?

Architect of Untamed goes right into Bant Midrange Hell.dec

>hype Tezzeret
>spoil that edh card

Why is Tezzeret slowly turning into Urza?

that deck sucks, it's mixing aggro cards with combo in a bad way. But we don't have enough cards to know if a build around deck will happen.

However, a Jund deck starting with what we've seen, not all about energy but able to get multiple uses out of it from cards that are decent to good already. I'm seeing something there.

Don't hype, user. You'll be hurt when it turns out to be shit.

He's a tan man with white hair. That's the only similarity they share beside being artificers.

Looks like a phyrexian.

Chandra spoiler hype

>Every chandra is shit

Funny enough, that actually said a lot about infect until Glistener Elf was printed.

Well, the cosplayer is cute.

>Chandra does good damage
>it only hits creatures
You know it is going to be something like this.

4 abilities is interesting.

Flamecaller and Firebrand are perfectly fine.