EDH/Commander general

Asshole clerics edition

Old thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/you-win-some-you-ooze-some/
yawgatog.com/resources/magic-rules/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Any ideas for a demon and/or vampire tribal EDH deck?

Better to go mono black or maybe BR?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/you-win-some-you-ooze-some/

I can't wait to see how it sucks.

Lets talk this card people, would it be worth a slot in my Mizzix deck?

I'm going to say no. Mizzix is best with cards that have an X in their mana cost. Which usually have a low cmc.

What? Spells with an X often have really high mana cost, dude

Converted mana cost. X is always 0 in the CMC

Converted mana cost for x-cost cards only includes the actual printed cost. Not what you pay. If something is, say, RRX it only costs RR for purposes of CMC.

I'm just getting back into M:tG after a couple years away so I may be misremembering.

There's a lot more support now for BR vampires so I think it's more a matter of if you actually like some of the red based vampires and want to build around them.

For demons I think monoblack is the way to go unless you're into high risk plays like Rakdos the defiler and Malfegor. Rakdos LOR is also an option as he can help with casting big demons, but anyone who's tried to build him can probably tell you that it takes a lot of fine tuning to figure out the right balance between small pingers to enable Rakdos and big fatties. Demons also tend to have a lot of colored mana requirements which limits the usefulness of Rakdos' cost reduction. Mana ramp is also more consistent in monoblack with nirkana revenant, crypt ghast, and cabal coffers+urborg. Building around shadowborn apostle is also worth considering if you're going for demon tribal.

How about Noyan Dar in a cantrip tribal style deck with Talrand and other value gemerators?

X Spells have a CMC of X+Colored mana while they're on the stack, so I think they actually work with this.

Here's the relevant ruling:
>107.3a If a spell or activated ability has a mana cost, alternative cost, additional cost, and/or activation cost with an {X}, [-X], or X in it, and the value of X isn’t defined by the text of that spell or ability, the controller of that spell or ability chooses and announces the value of X as part of casting the spell or activating the ability. (See rule 601, “Casting Spells.”) While a spell is on the stack, any X in its mana cost equals the announced value. While an activated ability is on the stack, any X in its activation cost equals the announced value.

Was looking around and monoblack does seem the best option. Also a lot of these demons seem relatively cheap which is nice. Nirkana and Cabal Coffers are well out of my price range, but the Crypt Ghast is much more likely, and maybe Magus of the Coffers as well instead?

Was leaning towards Ob Nixilis, Unshackled for a commander as well.

I don't know if I like this or not. Mostly because I know I'm going to get into an argument about it and I don't care enough to actually memorize the rule boook.

Is that Tezzeret? What the fuck is he summoning?

Looks awfully Phyrexian...

>Flamecaller for Feldon
>New Chandra for Hidetsugu

Fuck, I thought I was done buying shit for a while. I should just wait until they rotate

I've had quite a few new revelations for older decks recently; only some of which were due to actually using edhrec.

To help everyone be as spicy and unforeseen as possible, let's play a game where you post a generic action your deck does (e.g. land ramp, stuff your grave, clone dudes, or whatever else) and your five favourite pieces of tech to do it. Bonus points for more obscure cards.

Hits for large amounts of damage

Selvala, Heart of the Wilds.

So much fucking tech I have to make a collage.

Plus Regal Behemoth and Throne of the High City, which are probably new staples in French EDH, at least.

If anyone ever asks you about Veeky Forums, just show them this post.

Why memorize what you can just look up?

yawgatog.com/resources/magic-rules/

Easy to browse, easy to digest. Always up-to-date.

Brisela, Chalice of void, and void winnower all immediately spring to mind as decent reasons to keep it memorised, anyway.

Drawing a disgusting amount of cards is pretty cool.

IZZET ARTIFICER LEGEND WHEN

>Pia printed as Red
>Kiran printed as Blue

There you go, Izzet Artificers

Literally never. UR artifact legend would either be awful or fucking bonkers busted

Right here, senpai.

Yig-Yig the Redliner UR
Creature- Goblin Artificer
U/R: Untap target artifact. Destroy it at the beginning of the next end of turn.
"There is a point where we should have stopped and we passed it long ago. But let's keep going and see what happens"
2/2

First off, vampire tribal is a real deck, demon tribal isn't, I mean you can do Shadowborn apostles but other than that, demon tribal is as garbage as Angel tribal

So now that you've decided to go with vampire tribal, BR is a good choice I think just to maximize your options, I also think Olivia Voldaren is the clear choice for commander

>relies on either a turbo jank enchantment or a $300 card being out to actually work
Nah man

>pay blue or red
>get infinite mana

you should be hired at wizards to design new cards

sure is a GREAT izzet commander. not shit at all and definitely the colour identity wanted!

Also works with Thada, Praetor's Grasp, Grinning Totem, Blood Funnel, and Nullstone Gargoyle.

Besides you're playing artifacts.dec. You don't need a commander to build around to make a competitive deck you tard.

imo you should go mono black vampires. other than Olivia there are no other red vampires worth running. plus going mono black has perks with stuff like Crypt Ghast, Caged Sun, Crypt of Agadeem, Cabal Coffers, and Nykthos. You can generate a shitton of mana and Exsanguinate everyone and stuff like that.

I just built Selvala as Elfball hiding behind an infinite mana commander because Sword of the Paruns and Umbral Mantle exist.

No one likes a redliner.

>You don't need a commander to build around to make a competitive deck
Prossh and Narset beg to differ

Congrats, you still don't need a commander to build a competitive deck.

I suppose tribal is the wrong word since that tends to mean your entire list of creatures are that creature type, but if you're monocolored getting enough mana to get out demons shouldn't be too difficult while still using weaker creatures to curve into the bigger demons.

What would you suggest for a commander? Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief, Anowon, or something like Ob Nixilis, Unshackled?

Purphoros is B O R I N G

post em.

I'm at the point where I am almost done with making a deck for every color combo, but I want to take apart a bunch of decks and make new ones, I'm at the point where I maybe even just might take everything apart and start from scratch.

>thada, praetor's grasp, grinning totem
all of those are meta dependant. if your meta doesn't play a ton of artifacts then you;re screwed. Not only do they have to be playing them, you have to be playing the same ones as them. not sure their worth.

cards you play just to make that one guy mad

what people like and what is necessary are two different things

and people realize redliners are important. people get jobs as redliners.

Okay yeah there are some decent demons if you just want to run a fair number and not make your whole deck about it

That said I still think RB vampires would be the most fun

There are a couple good red vampires and you can run red goodstuff cards too

Falkenrath gorger
Stromkirk captain
Vampiric dragon

>everyone plays a fuckton of mana ramp artifacts
>except for me
>tutor for this guy every game and cast it by turn 5

get cucked nerds

Every deck runs Sol Ring. Almost every deck will be running Thran Dynamo, Gilded Lotus, Worn Powerstone, etc. That's enough to justify the inclusion of those cards. Personally I don't run any of the cards you brought up, but I also don't really care about building around Mishra. I'd rather just run better artifacts.

I have a guy who plays BUG Sidisi and he just can't handle this card

>t5
you're already dead, kiddo. nothin personel.

The local reanimator guy gets absurdly butthurt over this and thinks I play it just for him, but this card is crazy useful. I've gotten Prosh, Ghave, Brago, the Mimeoplasm... But he thinks it's all for him.

>mfw my group turned the game into archenemy againsty my mazirek deck

>sol ring
sure one card. those other mana rocks? not guaranteed. like i said. meta dependant. obviously your meta runs those rocks. others might not.

>BUG
>Not having answers to artifacts.
Sounds like he deserves it.

He doesn't play his Jhoira deck much any more.

I got this pulled on me a few days ago... of course I had like 7 artifacts that he stole and I had earlier stupidly swung with my only flying guy earlier in the turn.

The guy running Tariel with an Avacyn on field then used Wrath of God killing everything but himself.

He does. He also likes attacking me, because he never wears his glasses to game nights, always ends up sitting next to me, and my cards are the only ones he can read so he swings my way every time, despite much larger threats being on the table

>BUG can't stop SoF2

Does he not at minimum naturalize or a U bounce spell?

I'm not great at theorycraft. Is this good in Commander?

I wasn't too impressed when I saw it. It looks like it was designed for standard. The only thing that looks particularly impressive about her is her -7, but all my friends were pissing themselves about it, and all the spoiler threads are going nuts. Am I just bad at magic?

It's not on the basis that planeswalkers aren't legendary creatures.

I dont think it really matters. Drana has low cmc and makes your vamps bigger and Anowon is great against decks like Nekusar, Mizzix or voltron strategies. I'd say run both in your deck and switch as you see fit. You can also run og Drana or any of the two Kalitas.

I don't run sol ring in all my decks

I just like to surprise people when they play thada adel and also i hate destroying my own mana sources with fracturing gust

>It looks like it was designed for standard
Everything is designed for draft and standard, they don't test for other formats

You're kidding right? If their eye sight is that bad shouldn't they be wearing them all the time?
This guy isn't in primary school is he?

Y'know what? It doesn't matter. It's still his own fault.

>I don't run sol ring in all my decks
This is objectively bad deck building.
>i hate destroying my own mana sources with fracturing gust
Do you also avoid casting Wrath of God when you have a creature on the field?

>is this good in commander?

1st ability is generally useless and will get her taken out fairly fast, 2nd ability can be useful to get any extra mana, 3rd works good for spot removal, 4th ability really depends on the group but I don't like to judge walkers off their ultimates

>Liliana
Discard value control

>Gisa
Fucking zombies everywhere

>Mono R Grenzo
WIP Agro

>Mono G Selvala
Elfball

>Nahiri
Equipment.dec

>Hana
Combo Control

>nuMarchesa
Monarch Superfriends

>Jeleva
Control

I want to build something GR next because I have an Arlin I want to use, but it can't be black because my black is tapped atm.

it's pretty damn good for mono-red and gives it some stuff it needs

the first +1 gives you a pseudo card draw, and red likes card draw. also the tiny bit of burn helps a teensy bit

the second +1 is like a pseudo mana ramp, probably really useful for mono red decks that need to ramp up (zirilan etc)

-3 is good too, great for burning various small utility creatures and commanders

-7 looks kinda meh as far as ultimates go, but who cares, you'll rarely be casting the ultimate anyway

I sued Newlivia for awhile, and it did surprisingly well for what it was. I might throw it back together even though my tutors and shit are all preoccupied.

Anyone figured out a good list and/or tech for the new grenzo yet? I've been wanting to make a goofy goblin deck for a while and I think the new Grenzo would be the best for it. looking for a goofy chaos style deck that

>looking for a goofy chaos style deck that
oops forgot to finish this sentence

a goofy chaos style deck that doesn't really draw hate but isn't completely useless either. i basically want to dodge hate and cause better decks to kill each other with goad style effects

Oldlivia is pretty absurd, but this new Newlivia seems rather underwhelming? Love the artwork though. Be much better if you didn't have to discard a card.

>Kiran printed as blue
I, uh, have some bad news for you, user.

It's not for every deck, but red card advantage is always good, and it's a source of decent ramp the turn after you play it as well. -3 hits a surprising amount of threats, and the ult is amazing and looks surprisingly attainable.

i dont understand your point

>everything is designed for standard
objectively false. everything is balanced for standard. but there are cards in standard sets designed for other formats. they specifically keep commander in mind when designing some of the legendaries, as they are aware it is pretty much the most popular casual format among enfranchised players.

I dunno about you, but that -7 looks fantastic for any Izzet deck. Both Mizzix and Tibor and Lumia come to mind. You can easily get 15 damage a turn off of that.

>everything is balanced for standard
THAT'S the one. I knew "designed for standard" sounded off

yeah it's okay but it's not like a ton of other ultimates that are basically just "you win the game"

her +1s are really good though, so she will probably get the ultimate off a lot more often

There are quite a few usable madness cards in RB, plus reanimation is a thing. Also, that madness vampire is great.

As far as Newlivia goes, shes cheap, gives haste, and makes vampires. Oldlivia tends to draw a lot of hate and drains mana like no tomorrow.

>using ultimates in your evaluations of walkers for commander
scrubs. unless the ultimate is very achievable and/or the other abilities seriously help you get there, then it's pretty bad. evaluating walkers should be based on their immediate value when they hit the board.

>keep putting off my Alesha build

Should I build Hidetsugu or Feldon next?

If you play multiplayer EDH, don't forget going infinite with a 6 power creature (or Invigorate) and Staff of Domination.

depends. do you have a very fast meta? go hidetsugu. are you in a slower, more control oriented meta? feldon.

that's what i originally said, though. i said that the ultimate looks meh but who cares, it's an ultimate. "add 2 fireballs to your mana pool" is pretty godlike as far as mono-red +1 planeswalker abilities go. you get half the mana you used to cast her back, and then next turn you'll have enough mana for a 6-7 drop. if you're playing mono-red, then that ramp can easily give you the game

Slower, but not control oriented. Feldon looks fun, but I like the idea of holding everyone hostage with Hidetsugu and just nuking the table if anyone starts some shit with me

>"add 2 fireballs to your mana pool"
Not to call you out, but what do you call the other kinds of mana?

I don't own a Staff yet, but that, too. Yea. I can also use Wirewood Symbiote and Temur Sabertooth, or just the Sabertooth with some sort of haste.

He's OK as one of the 99 in a goblin deck. That's about it.

green = trees
black = skulls
white = suns
blue = tears

I play new grenzo, focusing on goad, and so far every game of playing him has been
>before it starts, just looking at grenzo:
"Oh? You're gonna try playing my stuff? Cute."
>turn2:
"Uh-oh guys, he's got his commander out, lol."
>turn4:
"Okay guys, we really gotta see to grenzo."
>turn6:
Archenemy mode full swing
>turn8:
People begin openly colluding against grenzo.
>turn10:
People are now piling cards to conceal possible attackers and misrepresenting board state yo avoid goads. If I last until turn 10, I have to start asking everyone to list, out loud, plainly, every possible target, as any different means will fall to deception.

At least at my LGS, goad makes people unreasonably salty.

It actually has Phyrexian, Sliver and Eldrazi touches in it.

>blue=tears

Like pottery

>blue = tears
You got that right.

I bypassed Feldon and made Shirei today. Waiting for my cards to come in and I'll be all set.

yeah i checked through tappedout and every retard is building around the shitty "exile opponent's spell and cast it" feature when the goad seems much better (although worthless in some metas)

if i decided to build him, i would probably go 40% chaos, 30% utility spells and only 30% various attackers to proc goad. use goad mainly to protect myself while fucking up the board state with chaos stuff, then maybe put some really ridiculous lategame red spells to close out the game (insurrection etc)

Does anyone have a nice Ayli list I could look at?

Some user posted in the last thread that the creature Tezzeret was summoning here looked Phyrexian. I disagree, rather, it looks simply like an extension of his arm to some degree manifesting from his power to manipulate artifacts or metals in general.

As for its use in a commander deck. I don't know, maybe in Muzzio?

oh, do you have a list by the way? i kinda want to see if its possible to get a decent budget list for him

I run Containment Priest instead.

Looks more like quicksilver over Phyrexian.

F-fuck you

Yeah that too