D&D 5e General /5eg/

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Previous Edition:

Other urls found in this thread:

entertainment.lilithezine.com/Quick-Primer-for-Old-School-Gaming.html
twitter.com/matthewmercer/status/681950486291824640
drive.google.com/file/d/0B_73NA7vK-0OaXFXaGo1ajM5TGM/view
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What class do you miss most from 3.PF?
What class would you like to see in 5e?
Alternatively, what prestige class would you like to see as an archetype in 5e?

King Kaius is just as awesome as King Boranel.

>What class do you miss most from 3.PF?
>What class would you like to see in 5e?
Artificer

Factotum, even though Bard with Knowledge College sorta-kinda-doesn't-really-but-if-you-cock-your-head-and-squint comes close.

I miss the Factotum shenanigans. Not the skills, as much as the stealing-features-from-other-classes thing.
The realest jack of all trades.
It wouldn't work the same way it did in 3.5 by making it a subclass though, and it doesn't seem we'll be getting new base classes anytime soon

Yeah, the class features thing really was my favorite part, too.

>I miss the Factotum shenanigans. Not the skills, as much as the stealing-features-from-other-classes thing.
Are you remembering the factotum, or are you remembering the chameleon prestige class people used with it a lot?

What a lot of people miss when trying to make a factotum-like class in 5e is that the factotum had its own features that replicated the functionality of other class features instead of directly ripping them. This kind of approach would avoid all the issues of the homebrew people have been posting in the last week or so that is completely unbalanced because the lazy writers just said to reference the other classes.

Does anyone have any advice for running a war-themed game where the PCs are all soldiers in an army? I figure just throwing them into big battle after big battle would get boring quick, but maybe they could be like medieval special forces instead? Quick, surgical strikes in enemy territory, rescuing or defending hostages, scouting, spying, etc.

I actually preferred mixing factotum with the swordsage, if my DM allowed me using Kung Fu Genius on Swordsage features, instead of monk.
Never really liked the Chameleon

A factotum chameleon was pretty impressive though. And you touched on another great aspect of the factotum: you could make an int-based weapon user.

I didn't play 3.5 but I feel like I've heard a lot of whining about artificer breaking the game.

Yeah, currently we're playing a short 3.5 campaign in Eberron, and I've got a Factotum/Swordsage/Swashbuckler/Dragonmark Heir/Fighter ready for when my warlock dies.
Not optimized, but plays on his strengths, which is 22 INT, and not much else.
The fighter level is pretty much for the feat, so I can use a whip to climb
The Artificer can be either gamebreaking or completely useless. You need XP, downtime and gold to make a good artificer. If you're missing any of those you better make a different character

Make them a part of some military faction in your setting. Allow them to choose their missions from at least 2-3 options available at all times. Depending on whether a mission is failed or completed, make sure to reflect that in the game world and make it influence other missions and how their factions treats them.

Make the objective of each mission clear and allow various ways to achieve that objective. Reward the research. Their briefing shouldn't be super accurate so they should gather information and prepare accordingly.

Essentially, pick up Shadowrun mindset.

I've run something like this before (though not for 5e) so I'm going put down a list of ideas I did in mine.
>The "home base" is the army encampment. Design it out beforehand like it was a static town made of tents, note where each tent goes and who sleeps where. Always keep this consistent.
>Don't hand wave the ranks. Combat is less then 10% of being in a military force, dealing with soldiers in your branch and of different ranks is a TON of it. Develop and name the General (the leader, whatever you call him), his immediate officers, their leiutenents and their various responsibilities. Create "branches" of the Army different forces belong to and develop their leaders.
>In armies of the day rivalries between various factions and officers were EXTREMELY common. Have the be players forced to deal with the politics of inter-branch and officer rivalries.
>Special forces didn't work the same way back then, so don't treat the players like a "commando team". Commandos work because have technology and Intel telling us where everything is, they did not back then. Intelligence gathering was MUCH more important in an era where moving forces took FOREVER and there was no satillites to tell people where to surgically strike or even where your army is. The PC's party is instead composed of highly competent individuals that goes into towns near or around the army to recconoiter the area and gather information for them. If the areas are enemy-held they in effect as as long-range scouts who can sabotage the enemy before the main army attack if opportunity presents itself, such as infiltrating fortresses or undermining fortifications or sabotaging supply stores, or better yet killing important enemy officers.
>The armies are fighting for a reason. Come up with that reason. Orcs and goblins are fine, but lack of depth of human foes with political agendas. One of the worst things you can do is have the conflict feel less then important or have no weight.
Continued

STK in pdf yet? Thanks

I'm homebrewing my first campaign. Writing the story week to week trying to incorporate choices from everyone's decisions into my game. I don't have a solid idea aboit what I'm going to write beyond the next week and plan to have a different 4 completely different campaigns with completely differing themes based on which hook the players choose to follow (will be outlined in the first act).

My question is, traditionally, do you try to establish a "home base"( either a town or a specific place) for your characters? And if so, how do they usually function? Also, how do you handle scripted events during a battle like npc betrayal or environmental shifts?

No more classes, there is no point when classes have paths built in and i personally dont see a general enough area, other than psonics, for a new class to cover that wouldnt feel redundant.

Personally id like to see a shapeshifter barb path.

It was possible to break the game pretty bad with an artificer, but a wizard could break the game worse anyway. An artificer could pull all the wizard's tricks, but the wizard could do them faster.

A 5e interpretation would hopefully get the balance right.

>The Artificer can be either gamebreaking or completely useless. You need XP, downtime and gold to make a good artificer. If you're missing any of those you better make a different character

The right spirit to go for IMO would be more frequent-than-normal use of lower level magic without the infinite uses of magic items possible with a certain combination of feats and infusions.

What choices and what decisions are you trying to incorporate in the story before the game began? Sounds somewhat bizzare.

Home base is a good start for sandbox campaigns. They function like a safe haven, a place to rest, shop, pick up rumors and interesting information, maybe have some stuff to play with if you feel like it (festivals, gang war, whatever).

I don't usually script NPCs betrayal, that depends mostly on how players chose to behave. If they're dicks to an NPC, betrayal is coming.

"Environmental shifts" is really vague and nature is unpredictable so whenever it makes sense for you to do it, really

Ok

A suit of Animated armour has the False appearance trait so it isn't revealed to be magic unless obviously when it's moving, if the players cast detect magic they would detect it's magical construct nature wouldn't they?

I can't get my mind to agree on something, I'm guessing as it isn't stated otherwise it would reveal it's magical aura right?

Continued
>Develop the terrain. No seriously, DEVELOP THE TERRAIN. Armies even NOW are dictated entirely by the terrain of the conflict, the when and where it happens, and that's when we have helicopters and shit. On foot with huge immobile masses of infantry and cavalry that needed to get into formation, this was even more important.
>Make major battle sequences relatively few and far between. You know how it seems like major historical wars have few big battles? That's because they did, as finding areas where you even COULD clash with all your forces was hard as hell to do, and most fights were unnamed small-scale skirmishes.
>Have every few adventures (missions basically) be setup for another big battle as the PC's reconnoiter the terrain, gather info, set up conditions needed for a major battles, engage in political nonsense with locals, and run afoul of the enemy. Name each major battle; "The Battle of Place Name" or "Battle of Thing Happened".
>During major battles have little objectives they need to complete; kill this officer, break this unit, capture this town, grab this flag, etc. For each they complete tally up how many "victory points" for their side is gained along with how many enemy units are officers are routed.
>Use the 5e UA Battlesystem. The players need to be attached to units but will quickly become the most effective parts of these units. That's okay; have them fucking make like Zhao Yun and Lu Bu through the enemy; make it clear that during major battles their prowess and heroism are a significant portion of what's carrying the fight in their favor.
>Rewards are only partially money; give them titles, promotions, but ESPECIALLY fame and renown. Money is nice and so is rank, but players LOVE it when after a spectacular performance during battles and before them they get kicksss nicknames and become famous heroes; guys like Henry Percy and Edward Prince of Wales in weren't just they were HOTSPUR and THE BLACK PRINCE.
Continued

You're the DM. It ultimately works the way you want it to. If you want it to evade detect magic, it will. Do you want them to have a way besides detect magic to know it's animated? Think of some ways to know and accept something reasonable the players might think of.

Why do people minmax in AL?
I've seen tons of people play Bladesingers up until 5th level, just because they can change for free

Is there a resource similar to Grimtooth's Traps books, but for encounters? Like a collection of examples similar to Tucker's Kobolds, or just creative encounters in general?

The party is going to all be at a tavern together. Those that party will be given free drinks and there will be a sense of revelry. Those that drink will be taken aboard a ship. Those that don't will either be forced upon the ship or kidnapped and brought aboard.

Essentially the first act will railroad them to be impressed aboard a naval caravel. After they wrest control of the ship they'll have a choice to follow one of four hooks. One will be their reason for being forced into the Navy, as will be explained by the captain. The second will be to return to the port town they were taken from. The third and fourth will be outlined in correspondences in the captain's cabin after they have control. Each one will be wildly different from the others but I want them to all work in tandem too.

I like the tier 2 classes from 3.pf, they normally had the most creativity within the mechanics without going too overboard while half the tier 3 classes seem to be lucky to hit tier 3 instead of 4. Ultimately, I guess it would be psionics and ToB style classes - but I don't know that I would like them in 5e.
Alchemist. The magic was sufficiently unique and the class features are both true to the setting tropes and distinct enough from anything close.
>Alternatively, what prestige class would you like to see as an archetype in 5e?
I'm one of the few that likes prestige classes, but my favorites have generally been covered. I wish I could justify a more direct Arcane Archer archetype, and I do like horizon walker (Pathfinder) a lot and think it could be a cool new ranger archetype.

For the most part, yes, but like said, it doesn't have to if you don't want it to.

That being said, i know if MY group saw that, they would immediately assume it was a magic set of armor and argue over who gets it, and then "check for traps".

Isnt AL like PFS? If so then thats why, its not a roleplaying game, just an MMO you play in person.

>The magic is obscured behind the lead lining of the suit that mages use when making this automated guardians.
Done.

Continued
>Try to give them rivals in the other of the army; strategists, enemy heroes, etc. This happened a lot way back when and a lot of time generals won a lot of respect for well-fought enemies. Saladin and Richard the Lionheart frequently spoke words of praise about the other's skills at leading men and their chivalrous behavior. They were still enemies, but they respect each other from a distance. Try to help the PC's develop rivalries of that sort; people they hate or respect on the other side they can just never seem to get rid of. Make the deaths of these characters notable scenarios.
>I've already said it, but focus heavily on the NPC's. Wars back then were heavily focused on important heroes of the day who were in command and took personal responsibility for victory or defeat. Both in the PC's Army and enemy army develop lists of officers and important guys. Give really important ones badass nicknames or cool-sounding regular names.
>Have at least one NPC who is a goddamn monster. Every war ever had at least one total psychopath shitting up everything even worse then it already gets shit up, a leader's pet crazy dude he sicks on areas he needs to demoralize or disrupt. He could be a single enemy officer or their leader, or for more moral ambiguity he could be on the PC's side whom they HATE but they can do nothing against legally. Make them want to kill this guy REALLY bad. Let them, eventually. Maybe have him barely escape death a few times.

Okay, that's all I got for now.
I can give a list of recommended vidya if you want and books for inspiration?

Couldnt alc just be a rogue path?

That or just take the tool prof, ill give you the selection of craftables is shit which is why ive personally ported over stuff and allowed people to raise the DC of stuff they craft (8+int mod+prof).

>Couldnt alc just be a rogue path?
It would be a neat way to use stuff like alchemist's fire and acid. Make any of the craftables meant to attack with relatively low damage and allow sneak attack to apply so they're extremely useful to the rogue but not out of control when someone else uses them.

Rogues throwing alchemist's fire and such was also one of the few ways rogues were considered viable in 3.5, since they could get sneak attacks from throwing that stuff.

I had thought about something to do with their activation upon crossing a threshold without doing X but as said about his party mine will do the exact same and would simply get pissy if I tried to pull something like that. Not that I'm their bitch but I just can't be asked to hear the mages bullshit.

Bit too easy for me, might apply that elsewhere though.

Not him, but this is some good shit.
Query; how did you deal with monsterous humanoids of various types?

5E Skill challenges

So I had a couple of skill based scenes in my last game where I felt I struggled to accurately run them. Perhaps I just suck at adjudicating skills appropropiately but it got me thinking that a strong unified mechanic would help me here.

The first scene the party attempted to perform surgery on a plagued girl , this also included beforehand them persuading her family and the guards to allow this.

The second was calming a group of angry but peaceful protestors before they got turned on by the town guard.

In both cases we roleplayed through it and reached a conclusion and used some dice rolls where appropriate but it felt very flaky , with the protest scene ending on a calm emptions spell, and I was pretty much just making things up on the spot in regards to the rules and what the rolls meant which is fine but not ideal. It's not ideal for me because without a mechanical basis I find it difficult to give out a clear success or failure or work out in context what a success or failure means.

My proposal is for any complex scene, such as those above , to use a similiar mechanic to when a character is dying

Essentially 3 successes means they pass and 3 failures mean they fail, this includes checks from the entire group. A 1 is a double fail and a 20 is a double success and these are added up throughout the scene. This could be increased depending on difficulty, 5-3 , 3-5 etc but I like 3 as a number.

Any thoughts?

My alternative is just to allow more power to the one roll. So one hard medicine check lets them.perform the surgery and if it fails the girl dies. One persuasion check can get rid of the crowd but a failure means they surge angrily forwards.

This seems a bit harsher though as it prevents the entire group from participating and is very black and white.

Could do a lot of things, a fighter could have an alch path, so could rogue or warlock or anyone which is what i was getting at with the tool prof.

Would also be neat if they released more tool feats similar to the healers kit one, technically not a tool but same idea you gain a new usage with a tool.

Do you guys feel like 5e has room for play like entertainment.lilithezine.com/Quick-Primer-for-Old-School-Gaming.html is described, or do you think this style of play is just too niche overall for 5e's playerbase?

I try to incorporate some of these elements, getting my players to tell me EXACTLY what they're doing, to think creatively in each situation, but some of the guys whose tendency lies in "rollplaying" are content to just let the dice dictate everything. Your thoughts?

Didn't get any feedback in the last thread, but:

Would variant human Inquisitive Rogue be the best way to go about making a Sherlock Holmes type character? Keen Mind and Observant are definitely top choice for feats, anything else to cover that deductive logician type?

The simplest way is to simply pretend like they don't exist in your settings. This is also the laziest way though.
Orcs, gnolls, goblins, and shit like that in classic D&D basically form small raiding bands or tribes that threaten small towns. This is the kind of force that a proper army would steamroll over like it's not even there. However they also tend to hang around terrain that huge massed forced don't usually go en-made; cave networks, deep forests, mountains, hilly barrens, old fortifications, etc.
In my game I had raiding humanoids a constant problem in captured territory or for the party when they were out scouting in wilder territory, this constant annoying bug that fed off the chaos of the war that the PC's were going and cleaning up themselves a lot because nobody else could be bothered to do it but it still needed to be done.
In addition, things like hobgoblin Legions hired as mercenaries and giants and ogres and such make for great spicing up of enemy armies on occasion as long as it's within their racial or cultural character to be useful in that way.
My campaign had this one long-term ally of the PC's army that was a relatively friendly stone giant that they grew fond of when he showed, for example.

Anyway, the point is that by keeping monstrous humanoids as an added layer of complexity to things you basically are showing you can keep all the things that make D&D feel like D&D without needing to change them and make them totally work for you despite doing a different sort of thing then usual D&D does.

Rogue is a very interesting thought, but the need a lot of features:
>crafting potions, splash weapons, poisons, etc. quickly
>gaining bonuses with a Mr Hyde-like ability
>boosting thrown item damage
>gaining utility like extracts

It certainly is a good base to go by, level 3 is something similar to fast hands, and crafting alchemical items easier or the mutagen type ability. Level 9 would be the other option from level 3. Level 13 would be a boost to thrown item damage. Level 17 would be some improvement on earlier abilities.

It could work...

Sounds alright, but I don't understand why the entire group is rolling for it. Part of the fun for players is getting to use their specialities to help out the group overall, doing group checks for medical stuff if you have someone trained in healing lessens their experience.

Yeah, I've heard that exact combination posted for such a character.

Binder.
Binder or psionics.
Uncarnate, god damn what a cool and poorly done idea.

So they end up at the ship no matter what. Why not start at the ship? I've been in railroad intros like that, the only thing it gives you is chuckling and sighing of the players who decided to go along with it.

What is that navy? If they're being conscripted in some country's navy, that's a pointlessly complicated procedure: spike some random adventurers' drinks to make them server in the fleet? Nah.

Other stuff is super vague. What each of the choices results in?

In any case, I don't recommend whatever it is you're doing. Just pick one theme for your campaign and do that. Players will turn it into their game pretty soon no matter what (if you don't railroad them like hell and you shouldn't).

I've been doing this for years before 5e.
But then again I got started with AD&D, so maybe I'm just used to it.

Ive only run one skill challenge in 5e, a merchants cart broke and his cargo was spilling into a river.

I think the big thing with them is you want to require enough successes that at least everyone in the party can participate once and set the number of failures based on how hard you want it (could need 6 successes but only 1 failure fucks everything up if you wanted it really hard)

I allowed casters to use slots, if they did it was auto success. Cantrips i just had them roll a spell attack so long as it would help (druid used thorn whip to save some cargo for example)

I wouldnt think too hard on mechanics as skill challenges are supposed to be open ended on how you can help. At the end of the day if its fun then who cares how you did it?

make the whole place magic so when they detect magic they get the same result as any other piece of furniture in the house.

I normally do a single check and then force new approaches with each roll, allowing the scene to escalate each time. I typically let up to 2 PCs attempt the action at once to allow for advantage on the roll, but leaving less people to attempt to save the situation. The situation (save the dying girl) is a failure with a certain amount of steps the party takes. party of 5:

Step 1:
>persuade parents, 2 players
Persuasion
Success: move on to next problem
Failure: they say "it's too dangerous" or "how can I trust you" based on party approach.

>convince parents, 2 more players
Intimidation
Success: agree reluctantly (more severe results of girl dies)
Failure: shit players down

>convince parents, last player
Steals stuff and runs away
Success: He leaves the group to the next step without him
Failure: He gets the parents away but is captured/ganged up on

Step 2:
>knock out little girl
Cast sleep, tie up

Step 3:
>surgery, 2 players
Medicine
Success: girl is cured but critical
Failure: girl is uncurable, difficult choice

From there someone stabilizes her with healing spells or they must decide what to do with this girl you will die slowly and horribly. Setting up a beaching chart is easy enough, and I can direct conversation to be relatively close to my notes unless I like the new approach they take. Pausing for 30 seconds to think is normally enough time to figure new branches out, and is short enough the no one notices.

Which race would you say would make the worst exotic dancer?

Core PHB: Dragonborn (they shouldn't have tits)

All Humanoid races: Thri-kreen

All creatures: Invisible Stalker

Dragonborn.
Even if they don't have digigrade legs their physical builds and bodies would be pretty awkward for that kind of thing and only a very specific kind of weirdo found on places like Veeky Forums (lE less then 1% of the population) would find them attractive.

Psions should get their classes, not prestige nor achetypes.
I don't want classes other than Psions to be added. Archetypes are a really good idea to keep the game from bloating.
>Alternatively, what prestige class would you like to see as an archetype in 5e?
Already got the Mystic Theurge, sort of, so I'm kinda happy.

This is how Matthew Mercer (Critical Role) does resurrection magic, to add a sense of urgency and make it actually seem like a life or death situation.

twitter.com/matthewmercer/status/681950486291824640

The few times it happened on stream, it was pretty intense.

So the players make their checks and then Matt tries to beat it?

Example

Grog ded:
DC 10

Pike rolls an 11 = DC 7

Keyleth rolls an 8 = DC 8

Vax Rolls a 3 = DC 9

Matt rolls a 6 which does not beat 9 so Grog gets his soul back?

No. the DC for the res to pass is 10. The players change the DC based on 3 rolls (So the DC can end up anywhere between 1-13)
Then the DM has to roll that number or higher for the soul to come back

I miss so fucking much from Pathfinder It's unbelievable desu senpai, The Witch and Alchemists were legitimately good.

You make some really good points. The conscription is going to be due to recent revolts by natives in a newly colonized land. The Navy is short on recruits needed to cross the sea and put down the uprising.

I think you're right though. I'll cut the tavern bit and rewrite them as prisoners being conscripted as cannon fodder. It'll take a little rewrite of the ship scene but it'll work better with their back stories.

My main goal though is to, after they take one of the hooks, have them establish a sort of home base and set out from there. I'm just having trouble figuring out what is needed for a good home base. It's going to be their choice whether they even want it or not.

Aww yeah death I see it, I see it.

I've just gotten the "Cloud Giant's Bargain" on pdf, and was wondering how to add it to the trove. Who should I contact?

Easiest would be to post it in the General, and let the hivemind absorb it.

just post it here so we can all finally get it, someone will pick it up and add it to the trove, like said

So, where is the fucking thunder giant book?

In my experience AL games are less roleplay more action, you want to see those high numbers and want to be the hero of the group. Everyone wants to do the most damage so that's what they do.

If you want to play a well rounded game then don't do AL or find a DM who encourages you don't need to be insanely powerful.

Do I post my 5e meme stories here?

I don't usually play AL, but my regular DM asked me if I wanted to play the Great Upheaval adventure.
I'm pretty pumped for SKT, so I said sure, and got really surprised when I saw we had a bladesinger without an actualy weapon in our group. He literally only used bladesong for the AC

I'm not sure I like the idea of playing D&D like you'd play Wow, farming adventures for loot and the likes

What are the best classes to roleplay? Like what class comes with the most interesting and appealing history that gives you more to talk about and liven up your background.

I'm feeling Paladin and Cleric are pretty good, the worst would be fighter. What do you guys think?

Bard all the way, High CHA means lots of persuasion and intimidation stuff, at least in my experience.

I want to make a trickery cleric, any advice before I proceed ?
The stats I rolled are 10/16/15/14/18/7

I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but to those with Storm King's Thunder, is there really a giant mecha like I have been led to believe? Even as a background setpiece or something.
If not I'm going to be so disappointed.

Get martial weapons if you don't want to be stuck with a dagger and a light crossbow

Rogue all the way, High CHA means lots of persuasion and intimidation stuff, at least in my experience.

Literally any class. It's up to the player to make it happen though. If you want to be herp derp I hit shit with a hammer, you could play any class and do it. The most boring player I have in my group is a sorcerer, who firebolts / fireballs everything, then trades sorc points to fireball some more.

Roleplaying isn't dependent on the class at all, even with what is saying, you're still just doing things to bolster your rolls, which has nothing to do with roleplaying your character more or less. The most fun I've had roleplaying a character was a Fighter who was raised on the streets and dreamt of being a King.

Disagree on fighter. It's so open-ended that you can come up with a lot of possible backgrounds for how and why you became a fighter, and that will give you lots of stories to draw on in-character and character quirks to make you memorable.

Cleric and Paladin are great but seem more limited by comparison since they're in a smaller box.

Well the obvious answer is don't, it's a play style so D&D 5e players can all get on the same page about what they are doing.

If you say you have an adventurer's league character, everyone knows that it's not a homebrew and has standard stats or point buy with published races and classes. I like it cause if someone is explaining their character doing something crazy I can ask if it could be an adventuerer's league character. if they say no then I know it's with homebrew stuff in it.

Along these lines, I had a player who was a half-giant ninja in 3.5 that became a half-giant monk/rogue in 5e. It started out as a joke character, but since our setting didn't have established half-giant lore, he had a lot of fun portraying the "typical" half-giant of the setting. He got to establish the behavior, culture, and speech patterns of the race that I still use several campaigns later.

Usually anything with built in stories: Clerics are trained to fight and use magic by their temple, Paladins have some event that caused them to swear some oath and pursue it with nearly blinding zealotry, Warlocks have found a font of power from other-worldly means, Wizards have been trained in magic, and Sorcerors have in interesting lineage. The rest have more open fluff meaning there is more expansive room to write a story to match the world, but it's harder because you have to make the story entirely by yourself.

The easiest to roleplay are barbarians or clerics, the hardest are probably fighters and druids to roleplay well.

I personally think the best when done right are bards, but it's so easy to slip into "lol Charisma!" Memeing and puns.

I was thinking about playing human, getting my +2 stats and a feat of martial weapons or just straight up play an elf and stick with a shortsword

Witch would be an excellent archetype of either warlocks or wizards, but I agree alchemist could probably stand on its own.

With your stats, just go Variant Human and get Weapon Master. Also, as your skill, get perception, as it's not on the cleric list, and get a background that gives you stealth, and possibly thieves' tools.
There's not much more you can do then, just enjoy yourself and keep trying to think of new uses for Invoke Duplicity

Sounds good to me, thanks for your help user

no problem. You'll probably want a rapier and a shield, that about as good as you can get with a trickery cleric.
You might want to think about dipping rogue for some sneak dice and expertise, if you're playing such a cleric too.
The Fighter could also be a good option, with the fighting style and potentially maneuvers, they're also nice. If you dip Eldritch Knight you can get the one of the weapon cantrips, and you'll forget you didn't get extra attack. You got the INT for it

I'd go wood elf (or drow if you won't be outdoors too much) to get a decent weapon and some other racial perks. Either comes with perception proficiency. Wood elf has Mask of the Wild to make hiding easier, and the extra speed is nice if you're being sneaky too. You'll get more out of it than variant human taking weapon master.

I already have 2 rogues in my party so we might be able to set up some crazy ambush if I dip rogue, that coud be pretty sweet

I have to agree on that, fighter has almost no flavor which allows a lot of freedom in building your background and personality.
Hell my current character is a chef turned monster hunter who is being trained under a a mentor who makes him do all the dirty work, and it's a lot more fun than the monk and warlock I played previously.

As says, any of the elves could be nice too, because they get darkvision, which the human lacks, and they net you the shortsword, which is almost as good as the rapier

So DMs, how do you deal with consumable/priced component materials for spells ehen it concerns their availability for your spellcasters? I just usually do a mix of having a "spell shop" that have the cheap components (like the 10g dust) and make some shit rare like 5k diamonds being available in dungeons or in a museum that requires an elaborately planned heist to get.

Any other ideas? I feel like I can get more creative with how materials can be provided for the players beyond a spell shop.

Forget the short sword, you get the longbow. Divine Strike works with any weapon attack.

The average damage goes from 4.5 to 3.5 so yeah not too bad, the main downside is playing an elf, I like to stick with humans usually

Forget the wood elf too since you already have 18 Wisdom. Go high elf and get booming blade or green-flame blade for your short sword. Short sword + divine strike + one of those cantrips is much better damage than rapier + divine strike.

The gems and other similar components the party can find in any mages guild, although they might have to earn the right to buy it there.
I often give costly components out as loot too
And, due to my players wanting the campaign to be a bit more deadly, components, especially for resurrection spells, cost 2 to 5 times as much when bought, depending on where they buy them

You just talked me into playing an elf, gg

Fuck yeah Bards.
Right now I'm Viking-esque Valor Bard.
It's like I'm a barbarian hero, a poet, and a political character at the SAME TIME.

You have a primordeal titan type thing, who is making a mech for fighting dragons. But nothing pilotable.

Swordsage (and to a lesser extent, the rest of Book of 9 Swords classes), if only because they all provide something that could be interesting (elemental damage tied to melee attacks for Swordsage, battlefield control of enemies and allies for Crusader, mastery of a single weapon for Warblade).

Duskblade, because it'd be a better magical melee DPS than the EK.

Sublime Chord for Bard. Yes, it technically gets this via Lore Bard, but I want more spell slots and more magic gained by literally singing so well you change reality around you (and regen some spell slots by giving up bardic inspiration die).

I miss the Swordsage very much, too.
I get that the 4e monk was supposed to be the swordsage, to an extent, but I'd rather see it as a Fighter subclass with elemental maneuvers powered by their own dice, or perhaps even regular superiority dice

drive.google.com/file/d/0B_73NA7vK-0OaXFXaGo1ajM5TGM/view
not perfect, but i've played it and it's pretty solid
still wouldn't mind an official Binder though

oh yeah, that binder is one of their better works

Can a kind user post the Catgirl race?

Is the spell-less Ranger worth it if I'd like to have the maneuver or does Dipping fighter 3/ranger17 better for that?