Magic: The Gathering Modern General
(competitive discussion)

Decklists:
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper

Primers:
>mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern

Kaladesh card image gallery (enemy fastlands):
>mythicspoiler.com/kld/index.html

How good is Titanshift in the current meta? It did great at worlds but I don't know how good an indicator that is.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=70cbNJrs2Xw
mtggoldfish.com/deck/334928#paper
mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Tiers are usage based blah blah blah

This is what we get because WotC couldn't make the Zendi land cycle legendary.
They have names for fucks sake

At the very least copy-paste the whole sentence. It's not even funny man

>LSV explicitly states that he's going to play Valakut at Worlds
>He plays Abzan at Worlds
>No one bats an eyelash at him being a lying piece of shit

It was a ruse. The hands to keep against Valakut are different than the ones to keep against Medium Abzan. Against Valakut, it's okay to keep fragile hands ad long as they get you there, since they lack interaction. Against Medium Abzan, you better hope Thoughtseize doesn't lose you the game.

So basically, LSV is a lying faggot. If Ari Lax had done that, people would be all over it.

Can we agree they're both shit people?

How budget can a deck be while still being good? I really want to get into modern and jund seems awesome, but between the tarmogoyf, liliana, and dark confidant, there's no way I could afford it. Are there any decent replacements for those cards? Or am I just better off building a cheap infect deck, since that seems more realistic?

Jund is a pile of the best cards in the best colours. Sure you can find a replacement for the cards you listed but they are nowhere near the efficiency or power. You'll end up with an incredibly unsynergistic deck and many cards will be too underwhelming.
I suggest build a cheaper deck and penny pinch for jund. Any cheaper deck is a good starting point save for affinity.

>pic related breaks Modern

4x Hangarback Walker
4x Experiment One
4x Servant of the Scale
4x Strangleroot Geist
4x Avatar of the Resolute
4x Nissa, Voice of Zendikar
3x Garruk Wildspeaker
3x Dismember

4x Hardened Scales
4x Animation Module

2x Treetop Village
2x Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
18x Forest

:^)

Here's your (you)

All pros do that. It's part of the game and getting butthurt over this is childish.

What do you mean by "explicitly states"? He told it publicly beforehand and then showed up with a different deck? Before each match he would say "lol, I'm playing Valakut", while playing an Abzan deck?

Either way, you're not supposed to ask or expect your opponent to say which deck he is playing in a competitive environment with such high stakes. If you know for a fact what your opponent is playing THEN you adjust accordingly.

Damn, ok. Budgety infect it is then

I'd suggest budget Grixis actually. You need terminates and kommands plus some other creatures for jund. It also shares some of the colours so you're getting some of the lands for jund. Realistically you're only out green stuff and some black stuff then. That's a lot better than getting infect, while has all ofno cards jund uses.
Plus all the Grixis stuff that jund doesn't use also is just permanently good stuff that will always see some play

I've been looking into getting into MtG and I would like to play Modern. What competitive deck could I get with 40-50$?

P L A T I N U M

E M P E R I O N

There really isn't one
Best you could do for that price range would probably be some older Red Deck wins type list with like hellspark elementals and unearth effect type stuff

For that amount of dough you can get inner and outer sleeves, a deckbox and a nice set of dice

Grixis seems fun, any specific budget lists I should look at?

>40-50$
>inner and outer sleeves, a deckbox and a nice set of dice
Doubtful.

>if Emperion is the only artifact in your deck, the card basically reads "Sorcery 3R: put Platinum Emperion from your deck to the battlefield."

I can already see the Shape Anew + Madcap Experiment memes coming.

Lsv said in grand prix indy coverage he would probably end up playing abzan.

Someone called the chinamen?
youtube.com/watch?v=70cbNJrs2Xw

Do you guys think that Storm Ascension could do well competitively at a GP? From what I can tell, none of the big lists are running the hate for it. Granted things like rest in peace and Graf diggers cage stop wins with past in Flames, but that definitely doesn't stop the deck. What do yall think?

Is Abomination of Gudul a good card? Pic related.

That's pretty cool and I would suspect that it would be a pretty solid package to include in Rx control and midrange decks, but I think it might be more powerful to run something like Burrenton Forge-Tender with something like Blightsteel or Leviathan. Unfortunately there's not quite an Emrakul equivalent for artifacts but it's still a pretty cheap way to cheat out huge dudes.

How would one go about getting into modern? I have no idea where to start. I don't wanna do the boring netdecking thing, and rather find some path to learning the decks/meta and coming up with my own decks. I haven't played since I was a kid and was playing a very casual format.

You should always start out net decking when moving into a new format. Once you actually have the vaguest understanding of the existing decks then to can start innovating.

Even if you want to play your brew, you should look up tornament winning decks since they're the ones you'll play against the most

Just make sure you can play it quickly and flawlessly, there are no takebacksies at a GP. Announce all your triggers and have a clear way to mark the boardstate and floating mana

Requesting a depiction of a mtg mage in this posture I remember seeing a while ago. I need it to make a meme.

Budget Grixis Delver Deck
mtggoldfish.com/deck/334928#paper
How good does this deck look?

>announce all your triggers

you don't have to announce mandatory triggers, but if it helps you keep track it doesn't hurt.

What do you mean mandatory triggers don't have to be announced?

If I have a creature that says

"whenever you play a land, this creature gets +1+1 until end of turn" I don't have to announce "my creature triggers, so it gets +1/+1". It's assumed to happen, and my opponent will get priority as usual, but you don't need to declare it happening as you would with a "may" trigger.

You can miss "may" triggers, but you can't "miss" mandatory triggers. If you don't call Pyromancer's Ascension, it will be considered a missed trigger as you didn't actively choose to copy the spell. If you have Diviner's Wand and drew a card that turn, you don't have to remind your opponent that your dude has flying now, they need to be keeping track as much as you do.

Maybe at a top level, when people are saying "pass priority" "pass priority" "pass priority", then maybe it's impossible for things to be missed. However, at any other level, it happens quite frequently. If you swing in with a diviners wand flyer and your opponent says "he doesnt have flying, you didnt announce the trigger" you can safely tell him to fuck off.

But in your examples with landfall and Diviner's Wand, you're still announcing the trigger. You are demonstrating awareness of the trigger before it has a visible effect.

>and my opponent will get priority as usual

i'm gonna nitpick my own post here and say that opponents don't usually get priority when you play a land, but they do get it off of land ETB effects. However it's supposed to be equally understood by both players where one or the other has priority, and it's not my job to sit and go "....do you pass priority?" every time I cast a spell if they're sitting quietly. You just have to be mindful of their responses and when they could want to use one, so you don't get ahead of them and reveal your own cards (trying to play them) while you don't have priority if they're holding it and thinking about a response.

yeah, nevermind. after a google search, you do have to demonstrate awareness of a trigger as it goes on the stack, and if you choose not to, your opponent does not have to make you do it. If you forgot to announce a dark confidant trigger, your opponent can choose whether or not it would be considered detrimental to you. If it were, you can be accused of cheating; if not, they can simply choose not to call a judge or not make you put it on the stack.

I had a judge tell me otherwise at my LGS, and I only now actually looked it up, so pardon my ignorance. I called out a missed prowess trigger, and he told me "it happened anyways, you can't just "miss" a trigger that doesn't say you may"

shit ass judge

I think there is some confusion here. You need to demonstrate awareness of a trigger by the first time it would have a visible effect, not necessarily the moment it goes on the stack. For the case of prowess, you don't need to announce the trigger until the creature with prowess does something, like deal combat damage to an opponent.

Where would I go to look up such decks?

Alright guys, for some reason I have a playset mishra's baubles and street wraiths and I'm thinking about building suicide zoo. Is it just a meme or is it legit good?

mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper

Two thousand dollar deck Wat.

Welcome to modern. Srsly only two decks are 2k, Jund and Abzan, most are less than 1k.

So you have to demonstrate the trigger at the time? Or when it has an effect? How is one supposed to have a chance to respond to the trigger if the opponent doesn't announce it and acknowledge it on the stack? I mean feasibly, the opponent can't ignore my priority, right? Because you do get a chance to respond to triggers.

If my opponent has a card that says

"3/3
When this creature attacks, target player discards a card
Prowess"

and I have a card that says
"Destroy target creature with power 4 or greater"

my opponent should have to announce the prowess trigger, for me to get a chance to respond with my card before the "visible effect" of damage (and discard).

Soulfire Grandmaster, than cast Madcap Experiment into a Blightsteel Colossus.

:^)

I'm pretty sure you can just cast the removal spell whether or not he announces the trigger.

The system isn't perfect. Even the rules acknowledge it.

>If an opponent requires information about the precise timing of a triggered ability or needs details about a game object that may be affected by a resolved triggered ability, that player may need to acknowledge that ability’s existence before its controller does.

>most are less than 1k.
As if this somehow makes it better.

Most decks should be under $150 tops -_-

Huh. Go figure.

So wasn't wrong in the first place? Because you only have to technically demonstrate awareness of those mandatory triggers when they tangibly impact the game state aka ("your dude doesn't have flying because you didn't announce it" "yes it does") and in situations where your opponent needs to know about the trigger before it matters, like if they have "destroy target creature with flying", then it's up to them to demonstrate awareness of it before you do.

Okay, so that's literally what I said in and I got corrected by someone causing all this confusion in the first place.

I suppose now I understand it better than I did, but it's not much more.

For the record, the better understanding I have is that you actually *can* miss a mandatory trigger, but only if you miss the time where it actually impacts the board. If I swing with a dude that gets lifelink on prowess trigger and I forget to call out my lifelink, I can't say "wait well he had lifelink when I attacked" (or with Bob, you can't say "well I should have drew an extra card") or else I could get called out for failure to maintain board state.

>failure to maintain board state

Perhaps, but more likely your opponent will just say "but you didn't gain the life" or "but you didn't draw it". In the case of Bob where the trigger could make you lose, your opponent could either force you to put the trigger on the stack or even call you out for cheating if they have reason to suspect you missed it on purpose.

The correction was based on what was stated in . This post stated that mandatory triggers did not need to be announced. But the triggers in the examples of were being announced.

I think the confusion is in the semantics of "announce". I was under the impression that you "announce" something on the first time it exists in the game, such as when you get priority, what you choose to cast, what triggers are going on the stack, what your targets are. The semantics of "announce" regarding triggers are odd in that you're still "announcing" a trigger for the first time long after it happens, in contrast to... everything else in the game.

Why? Because you don't want to spend your money? Then go play something else.

Because I want to play a variety of decks, and blowing thousands of dollars on cards is insane.

epic meme, epic trips, great post, magic should only be for working upper class adults or lower middle class manchildren with nothing better to spend their money on than dumping thousands of dollars in a trading card game secondary market that falls on the whim of competitive bans leaving your investment worthless if you invested your money the most efficiently

epic!

>everything should be accessible to everyone
When you grow up you'll stop living in fantasy land

>tfw obliterate jeskai Nahiri every time
How was this deck ever good?
Do nothing until turn 4 then tap out for a planeswalker that can maybe grab emrakul.
Pretty boring too if you ask me.

It's a meme deck

Never lost to it myself

Stats say it's legit.

Standard is 300-500$ at the moment.

lol

>i've already spent a lot of money on this so they CAN'T lower the price or I'll feel like i've wasted my money

jokes on you, you already have wasted your money.

also
>a fun hobby card game shouldn't have such a high cost barrier of entry
>everything should be accessible to everyone

great meme analogy friend, maybe you'll trick someone into thinking it's accurate.

(You)

So it, ravager, and?..

I don't want to have to go 4 card combo to run alarm and a mana dork, or cryptilith rite and mass hysteria; so does any single modern card provide at least 1 mana whenever a creature enters or dies, or can repeatedly tap sick creatures for mana?

What are the decks that trigger you the most?

For me, it's a tie between Burn and Infect. Nothing makes me say "fuck you" in my head more then them getting their lucky turn 2 or 3 win. Also to those guys that say "I-It's harder then it looks..." are either lying through their teeth or are completely delusional.

I hate scrubs like you with shitty attitudes

>Also to those guys that say "I-It's harder then it looks..." are either lying through their teeth or are completely delusional.

It's harder than it looks when it comes to different matchups. You sound like a typical Tron player, so their strategy against you is braindead, but can be different against the rest of the field.

>You sound like a typical Tron player
apex kek

>fuckboys keep trying to make blue work when its been banned and canned by wotc
Why arent they just playing green like how bad do you have to be?

Go back to the Hearthstone reddit, your entitlement and desire for instant gratification will be more welcomed there.

All this projecting is unbecoming.

This is probably bait but what the fuck ever.

For me it's probably Jeskai Harbinger. Not because of the deck itself and playing against it, but rather it's pilots.

It's an okay deck, but Jeskai Harbinger players have a tendency to be really fucking smug and think their geniuses as they engage in their battle of intellect against you as they tip their memehats and smirk.

nice card

Dross scorpion plus any artifact to tap for mana. Pop whatever to put a counter on ravager, it triggers modules, tap yoirn (let's say) darksteel citadel to make a servo. Ravager eats servo, it dying triggers scorpion to untap citadel. Assuming you got a trampler or trample onto ravager turn3, you can swing for whatever you want on turn 4 usimg an easily interrupted combo.

I think we got a new "Rev for 15" meme boys.

what the hell is in her mouth

A budget Mono Green Stompy or RDW type thing could steal you some wins at FNM, etc, but you can't really build a competitive deck for that price.

How is Valakut not a legendary land?

>entitlement and desire for instant gratification

except I play magic, have thousands of cards, plenty of modern staples, fetch lands, and some modern decks. it's kind of dumb that you seem to think "if you don't like the cost of entry into a card game which is steadily rising, you must just be poor, and/or self-entitled"

i'm willing to bet that many of the people in this modern thread would be paying legacy if they had more money, except it's a rich man's format and you're paying into the thousands for a single card.

just get a second job, jose. buy those dual lands from starofdavid games.

because its really really big, big enough that you can have multiple of them

I don't know about everything, but I do know magic is freely accessible. As a neat little plus, xmage is coded better than mtgo too.

Oh, and there's China man doing his thing.

So what's your point?

What is your point? I'm not the one crying that I can't afford cards.

>lol ur poor

Modern!

I really want to make RUG Infect work, but I can't afford $200 in lands or Noble Heirarch. Here's my best attempt, what can I fix?

4 Blighted Agent
2 Ghor-Clan Rampager
4 Glistener Elf

2 Assault Strobe
3 Become Immense
2 Flesh / Blood (only use Blood)
2 Distortion Strike
4 Groundswell
4 Mutagenic Growth
2 Simic Charm
4 Vines of Vastwood
4 Rancor

2 Blinkmoth Nexus
2 Cathedral of War
5 Forest
3 Hinterland Harbor
4 Inkmoth Nexus
2 Island
2 Pendelhaven
3 Rootbound Craig

Side:

2 Apostle's Blessing
3 Corrupted Resolve
3 Gitaxian Probe
2 Manamorphose
2 Nature's Claim
3 Turn Aside

I can afford cards though.

It's a pretty simple deal: either wizards provides cheaper cards through a rational player focused reprint policy, or I take my business elsewhere, (but still play the game ;*). )

As long as wizards is artificially limiting supply, counterfeits and modo clones will be a very prevalent thing.

I never said that. Dude, you're fucking retarded

>i'm not the one crying that I can't afford cards
>implying that you can afford cards, and that the poster can't, even though he said nothing like that

pretty sure you implied it. your only statement was talking about how the poster doesn't have enough money to play magic.

Look, is the one who thinks that investing in cardboard is a good financial decision
What does it feels knowing that i can beat you with my chinese fakes and your money don't buy you skill?

>have thousands of cards
No one gives a shit about those commons you have rotting in your shoe box.

>i'm willing to bet that many of the people in this modern thread would be paying legacy if they had more money
Nine times out of ten there isn't enough people playing Legacy locally to be worth it.

>buy those dual lands from starofdavid games.
"H-hey guys! S-s-so uh. Star City Games, t-they are a b-bunch of J-Jews amirite? Hahaahaa..."

>Nine times out of ten there isn't enough people playing Legacy locally to be worth it.

and why, might I ask, do you think that is?

>you're paying into the thousands for a single card.
Lol wut. In legacy?

I buy counterfeit cards and use them in tournaments, and there is nothing you can do about it.

I do inform people I'm trading with if they're fakes.

okay, perhaps not. you are looking at several hundred dollars a piece for staples, and god help you if you don't want white border dual lands.

start with the list that won GP Lille.

>Drop Hierarchs for Birds, and cut Become Immense for 4 Rampager. You aren't playing fetches so you aren't delving half as often as you could be.
>Strobe is medium, probably play Phytoburst since Rampager will give trample.
>F//B is fine I guess.
>Drop Charms and 2 Rancor for 4 Might of Old Krosa.
>Play more Wild Defiance since you aren't going to get any Exalted bonus from Hierarch.
>Groundswell is shit in regular Infect right now, it's super shit in a deck with no fetches. Play literally anything else. Probably Wild Defiance.
>Blinkmoth does hot nothing, no it's not worth it to pump your Inkmoths.
>You don't have enough blue sources to cast Agent on T2
>Where the fuck are your Gix Probe oh they're in your sideboard
>Btw your sideboard is hot shit

Y'know I'm kinda bummed because once I got to the last few points I realized you've done actual nothing to prep this decklist besides cobble a bunch of cards together, and then you vomited it onto a Mongolian leafwhistling board because you didn't want to think about your choices in life. It's not difficult to look at a top 8 list and modify it. Eat shit you lazy prick.

sauce: i play infect. it makes you a cunt.

Because most of the time, it's true. Decided to sell my Legacy deck because there were literally only 2 other people who were able to afford it in my city. My town is one of those "everyone's a broke college kid" towns.

You're average young teen through young adult has no interest in the format.