Rogue upgrades

G'day, Veeky Forums
What are some ideas for interesting/creatively useful items (magic or otherwise) to give to a stealthy rogue?

Do they have to be useful? I would rather make items that fuck a rouge over and are bound to him.

Useful though? How about a rope that only he can see. That's it. It can support all kinds of weight and is functionally just a rope, but it is completely undetectable to anybody but the owner of it.

A dick item? A cloak that makes the rouge thinks he it totally invisible but it doesn't. Instead it is a minor glamor that makes it appear that nobody is looking or talking to him while he is wearing it.

Literally anything of holding. Storage is relatively low worry for the dm, and high value for the player.

I gave a player a hat of holding and he liked it.

The Robe of Useful Items.

caltrops

I love bag of holding and bag of holding-like items

Grave Portal: A pocket dimension that looks like a spade head when not being used. It opens up around dead bodies and sends the body underground into a otherworldly plane of death, where a grave daemon consumes the body. The portal opens and closes silently, but detects as evil. It only absorbs dead bodies. If you feed the daemon enough bodies, he gives you small gifts.

A ring that does nothing when worn, but activates when taken off. It projects an area of slow fall around it, but only for a few minutes per day.

The idea is that you toss it down from a high place, and then you can jump off an aim for the ring to land safely. A single ring can act as a safe cushion for an entire crew of thieves, making it useful for jobs that involve friends, and you can even use it to catch objects.

Need to rob something on a second story or higher? Drop the ring out the window, chuck whatever you want to take with you out the window and it wont be harmed. Then jump after it.

A super-light length of mithril / superlight space alloy of the setting chain.

Garotte wire, trap cord and grapple wire all in one package.

If its gotta be magic, a tiny spider automaton that shits out this stuff every day.

a guillie suit / cloak that sprouts plants of various nefarious purpose, such as poisons, seeds that sprout into vicious plant beasts when thrown, beanstalks, climbable vines, noise cancelling moss and the like.

A magic eyeball.

A small throwing dart enchanted with illusion magic. After your throw it, as soon as it leaves your hand it projects the appearance of the person who threw it, running forward in the same direction you threw the dart. The dart glides surprisingly far for a thrown object, but once it hits something the dart crumbles into smoke and the illusion ends, leaving no trace but a small dusting of powder.

It makes a great distraction, as it can easily convince guards that you have left cover and sprinted in a given direction, but should they follow they will find no trace of you. Perfect for drawing guards away from a door, throwing off pursuit, triggering an ambush from safety, or luring someone into chasing the illusion and exposing their back to you.

Ghost cloak that when unclasped and detached from the claps piece emits a ton of smoke and than proceeds to float away, leading pursuers on a wild goose chase before vanishing into shadowy mist.

The cloak reforms from shadows later so long as you keep a hold of the clasp.

Nah, that other dude at the top of the screen has the magic eyeball, OGarrett has a steampunk one.

As for me, I'll go with the trusty bag of holding. Or even that variant one, the belt of many pouches, if you don't want to advertise your ability to steal everything that isn't nailed down.

A knife and bracer combo, the knife itself dosn't seem magical on its own, but can only be wielded by the wearer of the magic bracer, if someone picks it up without wearing the bracer they have to make a will save, if they succeed they drop the knife if they fail they are compelled to obey telepathic orders delivered by the wearer of the bracer.

Bag of rats: Its a bag of rats, made from crap fur it opens up to the elemental plane of rats, its full of rats, infinity rats.

This has a surprising amount of uses for an enterprising rogue.

A cudgel that when rendering a target unconscious leaves their body standing, shrouding it in a shadowy unseen servant. These unconscious bodies become pliable, walking when shoved, obeying simple commands.

They can be awoken by too much action such as water to the face, taking damage or loud yelling and shaking, but most people won't know that their actually unconscious at a glance.

A knife that when you kill a dude with it they turn to dust and blow away.

Rolled 17 (1d20)

Let's see here.
Out of combat:

A magical grappling hook that automatically pulls the thrower up to where it found it's hold.

A key set that unlocks all doors after spending 1d5 minutes finding the right key.

A magical bag of smoke bombs, allowing the rogue to hide once per day in plain sight.

A quill and ink pot that allows the user to copy any document flawlessly.

A scroll of magical runes that shows whoever looks at it an official looking document.

Dumbledore's un-lighter.
Ez.

Next time use this instead of that fucking image.

But OP's is better. Your image is really murky and the perspective is kind of fucked.

honestly might be a good idea to give him the poison stuff from darksun's Bard - basically every level they get to roll 1d4, and add the result to their level, and the result is equal to a "poisons" table, if they haven't already learnt that particular poison they can learn a new poison type that they can use on a target once a day.

In theory there are 15 different poisons, ranging from several "save or die" contact, injectable and ingestable poisons, to things which do something I'm not sure about because the entry doesn't state where these poisons are described in more detail (seriously, each is given a letter classification, from A to P then there's a thing that looks like it's effects, but there's two high level ones marked as "debilitative" and "paralytic" and the rest are marked with stuff like "Die/0" or "30/1-3" which isn't super self-explanatory. It's also buggered the numbers a little because the table goes from 2-17, but all PCs start at lvl 3 in darksun, so the 2 lowest level poisons are hardest to get)

Anything that changes his rogue levels into something more useful like beguiler levels.

Bow of holding, water arrows, noise maker arrows, arrows of grease, skunk arrows, badger arrows, throwing coasters, roller skates, stealth poncho, Glove of Walk-Through-Doors, portable keyhole, collapsible 11-foot stick, spool of infinite string, packet of bacon, cast iron frying pan, +1 silvered dagger, Guard Dog Repellant Spraycan, Bat Familiar, mimic's charm (allows thief to transform once per day into a nearby item and hold that shape until they cancel the effect), one of those foldable bicycles.

Cloak of Evernight
can dim or extinguish light in 30ft
gives the equivalent of the Feystep per short rest

The cloak allows the user to Shadow Step briefly entering the Sadowfell and exiting in a new location dependent on line of sight

The Sadowfell: like the Shadowfell, but less dark and more melancholy.

Fuckin typos man

sneaky bump.

>foldable bicycle

...that's actually hilarious and a great idea in a setting that otherwise doesn't have bicycles

Their needs to make a quick getaway, whips out and unfolds the bike, then pedals away at full speed. Guards are dumbfounded and can't keep up, and aren't used to listening to the sound of bike wheels compared to footsteps so it's harder to track him by sound if he gets out of sight.

Simple but very effective.

In my opinion rogues may be the role best advantaged by magical equipment.
Bonuses to sneak and hide or full magical silence and invisibility.
Wall walking or flight for combat mobility, reaching goals, and escape or on the topic of escape short-range teleportation could save a rogue caught in a tough spot.
Magical ropes, lockpicks, and 10 foot poles of all types.
Poisons and potions.
Bags of holding and portable holes for loot and tricks.
Illusions for distraction or disguise.
Charms to beguile victims.
Magic trackable coins to find treasure rooms.
Magic to hide your alignment from zealous paladins.
I could go on.

I think there's a bag of never-ending caltrops with some limitations.

Basically a portable hole with a bag of devouring in it.
Not as fancy and no gift but same idea.

Throw in it turning against the user if it's overused too much and I'm sold.

Reminded me of some spell to pluck out your eye and have it crawl around as a scout, could be incorporated into a magic eyepatch.

A witch's broom.

>float to where you need to
>tie ropes to it for a floating anchor
>fly away for a slick getaway

Otherwise, maybe a compass that points out people close by to help point out people who might be watching. A length of rope that can change length and obey simple commands. A key that unlocks simple locks, or maybe unlocks things that normally cannot be unlocked.

A knife that absorbs blood so anyone you stab is exsanguinated (and doesn't bleed on the floor)

Wingsuit

Jar of Silence. Any sound you make while holding the open jar goes into the jar ONLY. If you set the jar down with the lid open, all the sounds come out at once. Shatters if it holds too many sounds.

>Coin of Suspicion
>the bearer of the coin is automatically thought to be a suspicious character. As a result when something goes wrong, or is stolen they are the first ones to be accursed.
>this is a useful tool for both thieves and assassins. With a little slight of hand they can place it on another person, or include it as part of a bribe.

but wouldn't giving it as part of a bribe make you look suspicious to them? Or being in the crowd trying to make that slight of hand check? I guess in very niche circumstances it could work i suppose.

at least they stopped asking me to click signs