Which self made setting are you the most proud of Veeky Forums ?

Which self made setting are you the most proud of Veeky Forums ?

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/Hua_Yuan#Law_and_Order
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I've been running adventures in a homebrew sword&sorcery setting for the past 3 years or so. It's not super original but it's the best thing I ever wrote, and my players love it too. Lots of historical inspirations and some Lovecraftian horrors.

One that I am working on right now and soon will give to my players for them to immerse themselves in, if I am good at storytelling.

All of them, really. Even the pulp 20s game full of tropes, because it had enough retarded stuff in it to qualify as parody, after a point. (Robo-mecha Jesus leading the new roman empire? Wtf was I smoking?)

It is my current one, definitely. It is huge and extravagant and awful, and it just gets built upon through play. The players go somewhere that was formerly just a few lines of text or an image with a bunch of other images clipped in in my inspiration book, and I transform that into a place.

By B/X D&D campaign that was equal parts Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champion Cycle and the 30 years war.

Crowning moment: My murderhobos fell to Chaos, decided they didn't wanna do that, rolled a new party and eventually met and engaged in combat with their old PCs while unifying the realms.

In grade school, I came up with a oc donut steel character for Soul Calibur of all things.
I began writing stuff around him, like a kingdom he fights for, what the surrounding area is like, and other characters all based on other series I liked.

I now have a ton of word documents for this that I am constantly polishing, fixing all plagiarism, and preparing for a future game I plan to run.

I have a superhero setting with a timeline based on the different comic ages, from a golden age of hero guilds to a dark age where criminattis cause mass suffering in havoc to a still green superhero interpol organization.

The current age's America is run by President Luthor Trump and Satan bought out Greece just to prove how rotten the world is.

I'm working on something similar right now.

>Traditional human Empire take up the center, similar to the Empire of Warhammer. HRE based with a northern Slavic satellite state. Off the shore to the north are the nords, typical Vikings that just go around being a nuisance.

>Dwarfs live in the mountains on the borders, generally keep to themselves except for a few. City State oriented with Greek inspiration. Dwarf phalanxes with occasional great weapons and muskets.

>To the North are the blighted lands, vast grey wastes that used to be part of ancient elven kingdom until magic cataclysm

>To the south is a fuck huge empire I have yet to name (So far I'm calling it Lib), but it's pretty much a Zoroasterian Byzantine empire. Heavy emphasis on sun worship and Trading.

>The only in the world are wood elves in one Western forest. The High elves liven in another dimension and they don't give a fuck anymore.

>The big bad guys are going to be subterranean lovecraftian monsters in service of the elder gods which caused the cataclysm to begin with (spoiler they used to be elves)

>Also trying to work in a far east vampire faction

Sounds good. My own setting is mostly inspired by history and mythology so it's very humancentric. Elves and dwarves are basically nature spirits that can be summoned by druids using proper offering/sacrifice. The technological level is similar to medieval Europe but culturally it feels much more like Classical Antiquity. Each kingdom worships a different pantheon of gods, all of them taken from real world gods, like the norse, greek, egyptian, sumerian, etc . There are also the occult, lovecraftian entities worshipped by hidden cults and such. Also, the ancient lost civilizations are a must in any Sword&Sorcery setting. Far to the north there is Hyperborea, a fallen kingdom of frost giants, to the south there are the ruins of the Yuan-ti civilizations and where the main kingdom stems there was an decadent Empire of sorcerers. Far to the east there is a mysterious land hidden by thick supernatural mists.

I've been doing something similiar with gurps, I GM'd one game which ended in a party wipe but I have been adding shitload of new monsters and creatures all derived from mythology on which my cultures are based on.

Elaborate please ?

Sounds a bit like the empire of man from 40k desu.

That's actually an interestin idea about letting players fight their old selves.

Can you actually find people wanting to play such things ?
Most people are into high fantasy and space opera it seems to me.

Not really self made but I'm proud nonetheless
1d4chan.org/wiki/Hua_Yuan#Law_and_Order

Still working with my group on a setting just to see how crazy we can get it whilst still willing to be a part of it. So far there are Egyptian dwarves who wear beard wigs as status symbols and ride crocodiles, an not Germanic-empire of half trolls and a wizard guild who summon burning t-rex fire elementals.

My mesoamerican history mashed with chinese history setting. I still need to find a way to make it more accessible or more easy to understand, because the last few times I've tried to introduce new players to it, they've gotten way overwhelmed by the amount of new information they have to digest. It plays along different tropes than those that people are used to seeing in when sitting down for some fantasy tabletop.

A modern-fantasy setting where mana/aether is a slowly replenishing resource. Thus while feat of wonder aren't unheard of since it's far easier to use it than mundane one all of the pooled reserves were used during the classical age. So now it's basically like trying to bottle morning dew. Sure it's possible, but you can't supply everyone with it before it evaporate. Thus normal technology started to take over, where before magic did everything.

Pretty sweet man. I love placing real world cultures that existed so seperate from eachother and putting them in a location and seeing how they interact, using historical trends.

One big issue for me is in not quite sure how much I want magic to play a part. I'm thinking of making it rare and generally lengthy to use but when it actually happens it's fuck huge.

For how much fun the setting was: It had spacebird golems scorching cities with orbital magnifying glasses, plant airships doing kamikaze runs against floating pyramids, not-Aztecs resurrecting demon squids, everybody living in the country side because cities were all infected with stones that materialize nightmares and other nasty beliefs, viking-samurai elves raiding coasts on moving islands and it was all because wizards are a bunch of interplanetary dicks and pissed off civilizations stronger than their own.

On a more historical and interesting manner: A sort of modern-pulp-fantasy with modern guns that are just as rare as magic users are in the setting (which is quite rare), a history for the land expanding over three thousand years that i wrote in detail and i managed to avoid most of the bad tropes of a fantasy setting.

HEXCOM, a game of magical girls and boys fighting nightmarish beings on behalf on a secret organisation and slowly learning the true horror and likely futility of the situation.

The one with no jews or niggers and where women are chattel.

Who are the villains in such setting?

Yeah, in my experience this kind of setting works better with low magic. It doesn't need to be super rare to the point that no one will want to play spellcasters but they can't have tons of destructive spells. If using the D&D system it only works in pretty low levels, say, the first 6(I used the E6 rules for a time). But other games like GURPS or RuneQuest are much better suited.

Everyone is villains!

Luckily for me, I'm actually just planning on writing stories rather than tailoring the lore for role playing so I can throw away mechanical rules on it.

I just stick around here because people like you inspire me a great deal.

Reverse AoT, where the giants are the ones trapped inside a wall (made by a mountain range and a swamp full of things that like to eat giants, and giants sink easily), and the rest of the world revolves around preparing for their next inevitable attempt to invade. Half-nymph bridge trolls wooing farm girls, viking dwarves who refuse to work with stone, Roman elves with armies of minotaurs, heroic guerrilla kobolds, super saiyan half-ogre/hill giant monks bred by death giants, half-dragon ice giant with a fuckton of templates and OP homebrew classes (Mythos, if anyone here knows what that means), so far my players enjoy the hell out of it.

>Sounds a bit like the empire of man from 40k desu.
>handwiggle
Maaaaaybe, but this was from my real narrow inception to the hobby, originating in dnd 3.5 and dungeon/dragon magazines. If anything, it drew more from playing waaaaay toouch Civ 4 back in the day.

The one that's totally not Dark souls

It's getting the atmosphere just right with several pepole that's the problem most of the time

I created an island of monsterous races who worshipped either a weakened and chained elder god/gargantuan gibbering mouther, or were brainwashed by illithids to do their bidding .(trying to kill the elder god). The PCs were colonists who went investigating after the first batch of colonists disappeared a couple years prior. Had a very Heart of Darkness/Lost World feel to it, and with a T-rex encounter with a level 2 party, I set the tone early on that running away was always an option, and the world was not kind.

I used the Pendragon RPG and actual history as a base for the setting so it's not completely self made. Historical Fantasy setting based around the King Arthur legend. That hillfort in your pic was actually one the locations for a major battle in the story. The players were knights from various backgrounds (Pagan, Christian, Roman, etc) who followed their own meandering stories that crossed in and out of the main Arthur narrative.

Made a cool homebrew revolving around renaissance-period italian city-states with greek politics and medieval german landskneight mercenary companies,
Top border held by larger-than-life brettonian style metahumans.
Western border belonging to dark-elf style goblins.
Eastern border belonging to mongol-norse.
Skyrim-orc Ogre holds scattered throughout the human lands.

Best alternative to actually thinking up new stuff.
Just take old stuff and lucky-dip the shit outta it.

That actually sounds pretty fun desu.

I'm currently working on a setting based on the video game Hexen. I find an extremly fun challenge piecing together a story from almost no plot and incorperating the sights from the game and giving it purpose.

My modern fantasy world is my favorite one, my fantasy setting is just a mish mash of stuff that could be used for any game/system.

>that moment when you keep bouncing ideas of /wbg/
>You never put pen to paper
>Only ever think about them'

These feels fucking suck. I should really start putting pen to paper. Just get so scared thinking they'll suck.

Well I have borrowed a lot from history.
For example in the south there is this crumbling empire which has been pushed back to its heartland they are like sun worshipping byzantines with a bit of republican rome in it.
North of them there are several tribes which are heavily influenced by the celts, in the giant forest near the not-celts live elves which are trying to do anything to protect the last part of their lands.
Further north are basically several viking principalities which keep raiding the not-celts and eachother also north of them in the mountains live dwarves in seclusion with a dragon being their neighbour.
I'm planning to have the dragon go on a rampage which will cause the emigration of the vikings to the south.
Also in the east there steppe nomads like the medieval turks which migrated and conquered that part of the empire and also there are like mesopotamian city states which are vasals of the empire in the south east.
I know this doesn't sound very original but I think I made it pretty diverse with the inclusion of real world customs etc.

The setting I'm working on right now is my child. Exactly what I'm gonna do with it is still up in the air. what I have done is write a few short stories set in it to explain its history, written as if they come from within the setting rather than by an author in our world if that makes sense, and I've constructed a couple of languages to be able to create names and possibly some poetry to go with it because I feel that's necessary for a fantasy world to ring true.

Go on...

So when I was young and less aware of the world, I took a ton of anthropology and linguistics courses. Served to only get me in debt. However, I learned a bit about how ancient Mesoamericans and ancient Chinese cultures worked by proof-reading papers for my professors.

In the end, one thing stood out to me. The peoples ruled would often stay the same and live the same lifestyles, but the rulers would change.

So, in this setting, which I'll call Isan, the world is divided into divinely demarcated domains of dominion called Demesnes. The one I've run campaigns in is called the Rune Demesne. Each demesne chooses a people to be its rightful rulers, and basically uplifts the entire group to demigod status by conferring its blessings upon them. The demesnes aren't really aware, and they often reward conquerors and new powers.

In the Rune Demesne, the previous rulers, called the Naqtecas, suddenly vanished one day, leaving the title of the Rune Lords open for the claiming. Life has struggled to go on for the common peoples who have lived in the Demesne for generations uncounted. Wars have engulfed the nation as enterprising outsiders and the Naqtecas's own sentient creations have been fighting over who would be the next Rune Lords.

Plus, it's got half-undead coral-polyp colonies that make up the setting's merpeople. Which is neat.

>Just get so scared thinking they'll suck.
They will suck, but there's nothing wrong with that. You don't get good at something by thinking about doing it.

Played in a home-brew setting with my friends back in 2004 - 2006. My friend's brother made it for his players, and while fairly generic, I liked all of the things our party did as well as the story for the campaign. After we finished it, his brother left for college and handed me the torch of being DM for my friends since his brother didn't like the idea of DMing. Ten years later, and half a dozen campaigns, I've decided to clean up a lot of the continuity snares, streamline a few things and begin writing all the notebooks filled with notes from those sessions into a book or series of books.

I'm proud because my friends/players love the setting because they feel like what they do matters and changes the landscape of things, and because the setting is tied to a lot of really good and sad memories in my life that go hand in hand with my friends. Basically nostalgia.

Pic related, drew that back in like middle school or my freshman year of high school. Sorry for the shit quality.

The one I've did for fun, but later was picked up and after slight revamp was used as official setting for a text-based RPG.
I get jack shit from it and it was trimmed down considerably to be more "DnD-like", but hey, people are playing my setting - what else do I need now? I'm not exactly proud of the setting, both in the way how I've wrote it and how then the guys behind the game changed it, but it's still my creation and people are actually enjoying it, so it's always a good feeling in the end.

I wasn't the original DM for it, but I've run two campaigns in an original setting basically hammered out by me.
The original game has been running for, as of today, three years.

/pol/ pls

The one that I'll never actually get a chance to run, because all my group wants to play is vanilla DnD, or 40k RPGs.

Go on some more.

My current one, a mix inspired by Soul Calibur and Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog (originally made for 4e and transplanted to 5e with a timeskip). It shoots mostly to retrofit commonalities and quirks in standard D&D campaigns, alongside LEGO Castle flags for flair and provinces/capitals with names lovingly stolen from a variety of sources for easy memorization.

It's nothing original, but it's pretty well thought out (for the most part), so it feels very complete by our standards.

The people who stop the glorious techno-fascist march of progress.

Bump for stealable tidbits

Hi varg.

I built a partially terraformed moon-kingdom in orbit over a dead world.

I started on a cosmological level and built down from there.

There was this huge mile-high tower jutting out of the central colonial city; last bastion of the ruined civilisation of the world below; this tower was actually the spacecraft that brought them there, which was landed, was fortified and has a teeming squalid ramshackle city spring up round it's feet.

The elites live in this literal ivory tower, and the further out from the terraformed zone you went the more alien the landscape became, until you had fleshy soil and bare-branched gristly trees with eyes, mouths that sprout from the ground and trackless steppes of red anemone-grass.

The outer terraformed zones were inhabited by roving bands of social outcasts and bandits who acted as a buffer-zone between the central colony.

Some other races devised their own craft and travelled to the moon also, but their colonies are smaller and spread out; some have been reached by expedition, others are feared lost, others still are hostile; holding over old grudges from the last bitter days of their dead homeworld.

The planet below is a blasted wasteland, airless, waterless, clods of ash blot out the pale sun which flickers over the ruins of mouldering kingdoms, and the living dead rule the eternal twilight.

Tech level was pruposefully all-over-the-place, with Gith pirates smuggling in advanced magical laser weapons, and travel in astral skiffs an expensive but mundane mode of interplanetary conveyance.

The pile of empty beer cans around my bed.

That sounds really nice dude.

I've been running a homebrew setting for over two years now, which has given me more time than normal to fill things in and let the players help shape it. I was going for mostly a standard D&D setting, since I didn't want to alienate the players too much and I'd never actually tried normal fantasy before without some kind of big change to feel clever. The main things that are different is that humans aren't in the majority, humans are only found in one part of the world, a lot of people worship kaiju, and the setting was originally set up as a continent-scale game of King of the Hill (whatever race controls the Living Mountain basically gets to dictate history for a while, and currently it's controlled by a beholder, which isn't good.)

>far east vampire faction
They'd better be hopping vampires, bro

I've been working on a setting that was originally based in 3.5 but I've been converting to 5 where all abilities magic and faith based are directly proportionate to the amount of worshippers you have.the more I add toon it the more I end up with literal God Kingsaid and that's exactly the way I like it. I can't wait to have my players try it.

Kek that reminds me of Kung Fu Chaos

So, Conan the Barbarian in the Hyborian Age?

Saudi Arabia?

The one I still haven't finished yet.

Oh, wait, I guess I don't have anything to be proud of

Never seen an Iranian based setting before

More like Conan meets Warhammer plus a few Ravenloft-like regions.

none of them because every time I make a setting I think is cool my game group points out several references I didn't intend to make.

The last setting I made they dubbed "Narnia out of the closet" Because it was a world that was drowned in magical essence by some crazy god that gave most of the wildlife sentience or made them humanoid. Centaurs, talking bears and snakes, dryads, all sorts of shit.

I made a space setting that they all claimed was 'borderlands shit' because I used one of The Heavy's songs for the intro.

I made another fantasy setting that was apparently "JRPG Lord of the Rings"

There is a small community of Jews in Iran just so you know. 8,756 according to wikipedia.

You've misspelled Afganistan, user

Did you use autorealm for that map it seems really familiar.

Your players are assholes, find a better group to play.

>Which self made setting are you the most proud of Veeky Forums ?

I've never made a setting before, but I'm proud of the worldbuilding I've done for a 5e game I'm going to be running set in Innistrad.

So far I've taken the base setting from the Planeswalker's Guide to Innistrad, and added a few things like:
>A custom calendar that uses our 12 month's time but in a Lunisolar format; basically this means that every third year due to losing time the people add on a Thirteenth month to make up the time, much similar to how we do leap years. This Calendar fits the setting because not only does it denote the seasons to keep track of harvests and such, but it also keeps a very accurate table on the phases of the moon, which with Vampires and Weres being a big thing in the setting seemed to fit imo.
>I've made a custom coastal city, with a basic map and filled it with plothooks and NPCs, ranging from pc-tier character with their own character sheets like the captain of the town guard, to the simple name-and-personality notes for a few local shopkeeps
>Researched the crops of Romanian villages to figure out what kind of crops would have access to, and what kind of beers and liquors the people would be able to make
>added-in a bunch of small things I found neat while surfing the net, such as Inky Cap mushrooms (Pic related) that actually produce ink and are used by aristocratic types and researchers for a cheap ink source.
>I've started work on an Alchemist's guild, kind of like the Illuminati, they invent stuff to try to benefit society but its also a cover for a lot of Skabren.

Its actually coming together pretty well, and is a somewhat comfy setting for a horror setting.

A Science-Fantasy one

I've only made two. One during high school that I never got to use, and another one last year. I've been thinking about making a higher fantasy world though, just for fun.

I've been wanting to make a early 20th century campaign as well, and have been struggling if I'd just make it on my current fantasy setting, but in the future, or make a separate one entirely.

i love the lego shield idea. stealing that for the next campaign i write the setting for.

One of the mistakes I think I made was having completely homebrewed races. If it was a book or something of the sort, I could probably have pulled it off just fine, but in a tabletop RPG, there needs to be some tropes that people can work off of to grasp how the setting fits together. I ended up with something like 24 playable races in the setting booklet I made a while back when my players got me to write up rules for it in Pathfinder. Here, I'll just upload that instead of writing it out again.