/awg/ - Alternative Wargames General

Comfy Warbands edition

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk (embed)

>Question of the Now:
What's your wargaming fantasy? A games room, a fully painted army, your own ruleset published?

Old thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

kickstarter.com/projects/darumaproductions/sla-industries-cannibal-sector-1
modiphius.com/siege-of-the-citadel.html
youtube.com/watch?v=xNe1P6jLLLE&list=PL242B9F75D59B040F
dropbox.com/sh/jd5yeg8u80u6nqg/AADEU-9kWD279xlFnisMttfGa?dl=0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What game is your pic related warband for?

> What's your wargaming fantasy?

Actually being able to get a goddamn game ;_;

Not mine unfortunately, but I think it was a Mordheim blog.

I'm not asking for much, I just want to play Battle at the Farm-type skirmishes

28 or 15mm scifi skirmish with maximum your dudes a la Rogue Trader

It's all I want in life

Would kill to play Mordheim on a table like this with a dedicated group.

Eventually publishing my own ruleset and miniatures line. Rules are coming along, but I'd have to hire a sculptor or learn to do it myself.

I want a fun skirmisher, with a lot of tweak and options to the warbands, and most of all campaign gameplay! Someting like Necromunda or Mordheim, setting doesn't really matter.
That SLA Industries thing has me carefully optimistic in this regard, it would make so much sense for a wargame built upon a RPG to have character progression, but they haven't said anything about any campaign elements yet... :< Gonna fucking cook up my own system if I have to.
kickstarter.com/projects/darumaproductions/sla-industries-cannibal-sector-1
That's a cool table!

I have ideas for a game with those elements. The whole thing is raiding alien ruins, "discovering" the objectives as you play, competing with your opponent as you fight off the ancient horrors that infest the board, and selling what you found for bigger guns so you can do it again. Writing the setting is giving me hang ups, though.

Just steal as much as you like from the Mass Effects, Dead Spaces, XCOMs and the Grimdark Futures Where There's Only War; change names on everything. I hear that's what hip with youngsters today, so should work out decently.

it's mordheim

Someone else actually pitching in for once. That or people willing to at least let me run them a game of something other than 40kek/warmautism/FoW.

I've got a basic premise down. Human space empire and its subservient alien races colonize an alien planet that show signs of an extinct civilization. Turns out that the whole planet is one giant alien research facility of a long-dead advanced species. Everyone's trying to keep it hush-hush, so they can claim as much as they can before the whole secret is blown. In come the players, who control teams of mercs and hired guns raiding the tomb and selling off what they find to the highest bidder.

I'm really stuck on a few things before it really falls together. Its a few more interesting playable races for models and what kind of tech should be available.

For races so far, I've got humans (duh); genetically augmented human subspecies from now-illegal programs that have enhanced capabilities, but shortened life spans; triceratops-turtle aliens; and Dwarven mole aliens. I'm working on a system where each model has a basic statline and you apply a race template over it, mostly with special rules than straight stat modifying.

Cool minis

How will you guys feel about an arena shooter wargame with several players at time?

>What's your wargaming fantasy? A games room, a fully painted army, your own ruleset published?
To play with a gf.

or bf

works best with a grid/hexmap imho for respawns

That is debatible

Nah, use area movement like gears of war, with cover points if you want to hang behind a waist-high wall and lob a grenade whilst hidden, but you'll probably get flanked while doing so, so staying mobile is more often useful than hiding.

Gears of War is a really good board game.

Stormtrencher user from last thread, here's an old w.i.p picture of squad one, I've since built both squads and am partially through painting them. I'll be taking some pictures of both squads tonight if anyone cares to see them.

And for shits and giggles a comparison with some new resin trenchers with the same jump packs(recast chaos raptor jump packs, got them 50 cents each! fucking bargain).

>on a table like this
Just FYI just about everything on there except some of the ladders is bought.
The buildings are hamlets sold by warlordgames converted with pieces from the goblintown set by GW. The thing on the left with the pillars is an aquarium piece and the other buildings are WHFB or Lotr GW buildings as well.
The gallows should be from 4Grounds if I'm not mistaken.

Random additions are a wrecked GW cannon the treasure chest in the front and the large keg. The small ones should be from renedra.

It's very well put together and the end product looks great of course, just saying you could very conceivably be playing on a table just like this.

These are all looking very nice

At this point, I'm fine with either one.

Something like Crossfire, where you can activate till the initiative is yours, or both players move in the same time?

Awesome, thanks for sharing. I'd ask for the other squad too. One question - do you plan to paint them with them having Mandible autoshotguns in mind? It seems no conversion to the Invaders.

Other than that, thanks for the tip of Raptor jump packs, I guess these are from the older metal ones. Do you still have the source of the recasts?

Have any of you guys tried Bushido? Or maybe even Dark Age?

Both seem to be pretty great.

Not him, but that Ruined Hamlet of three houses is only £31 on Amazon whilst it's sold out on Warlord. Looks useful for a lot of games, I might consider it. Thanks user.

>only £31
I remember it being cheaper from Warlord. Heck, even the starter includes it for 70, and you get 20 paratroopers, a Hanomag, 10 Grenadiers and a rulebook.

Shit, I'll check out their website when it comes back on then (apparently after the Band of Brothers set is released for BA). I figured £31 wasn't so bad compared to a lot of the prices for terrain on their site.

It's hard plastic, unlike the others which are laser-cut or resin.

Dark Age is great. Bushido seems to have a nonexistent player base in the states.

Anybody here playing Alkemy?
Back in the day I bought a shitload of minis, but then the company who made the game croaked.
The game has since been resurrected, but it seems outside of France nobody even cares anymore. Which is of course also partly to blame of the guys owning the game now since they don't even bother translating anything into english.

I have three archers from the Chinese-looking human faction, from god knows where. The human minis look nice, but never really cared enough to dig deeper.

Erm, I see that you removed the magazine of the rifle, sorry. Anyways, the only jump packs that were close enough are the Kromlech ones, so in case I can't find any Raptor packs, I'll grab some of those.

I'm generally a PAEPR AND STYRAFOM-fag only, bought terrain absolutely haram, but hell 30£ for all those looks like a bretty gud deal...
Looks cute. Reasonably high quality minis as well.

I like the combat card mechanics, I do wish it was still around but for a fan run game its not doing as bad as it could be.

Yeah, I cut aeay the magazine and slid the grenade drum back a bit in its place. I also cut down the barrel of the invader then reattqched the bayonets. I bought the junp packs from an ebay bits seller called bits galaxy. It was at his stall at one of our local convetions, he from my city. I don't think he's got the loose parts on his shop but send a message and I'm sure he'd be happy to help.

My wargaming fantasy is a full dungeon tileset

That looks neat, but the stairs would work better with just a couple of floor tiles on a height between the two floors (add little edges to the steps to make em more "stair-ish").
You can't put models on those two squares as is, and they become unusable in a game environment.

>Which is of course also partly to blame of the guys owning the game now since they don't even bother translating anything into english.

yeah, sounds like the system is SO GOOD

That tile brings back so many memories.

Sadly he's in Australia and I'm in the EU, so even postage would kill it...I'll try to hunt down one and cast some for myself, thanks for the idea mate!

The guy who made them is called Harry, he's an absolute legend and you might have already seen one of his project logs before. Most of them where on Warseer, which is down again, but he also posted them on other forums too, if you have a Google. Wish I had 10% of his effort.

10/10, would explore dungeons with Harry.

Rev up the hype engines

modiphius.com/siege-of-the-citadel.html

>modiphius
>prodos
>KS
i love the game but damn is that a trifecta of shit (probably still gonna fund with a friend)

Man that's pretty. Friend of mine started a similar project, but we never heard of it again. That was 6 years ago...

I would sculpt miniatures for you?

Got samples or a portfolio?

You only get one in the starter box not 3.

I didn't follow the Warzone KS, what's wrong with them?

rogue stars is coming out later this year, and I've really liked Sfiligoi's games in the past. It looks like it might just be ASoBH in spaaace with more character focus but I'm personally cool w/that

I'll admit that this here was my childhood, pretty much, but it was also an utter piece of shit game. And the Mutant Chronicles IP have been mismanaged at every turn; Wouldn't battle the forces of legion in.

Guilty pleasures is a thing. I've put in some bucks in questionable KS stuff. They've all delivered so I'm not too rustled.

Just the usual production issues and delays. They definitely got in way over their head. They're a lot better now but the early days were a mess for the company.

Is the Mutant Chronicles/Warzone universe actually a decent setting?

Looking at some of the old metals and the new Resurrection stuff, perfect for Necromunda.

>an utter piece of shit game
Are you joking? Siege was and still is one of the best dungeon crawlers made. Easily the best of the Mutant Chronicles boardgames too.

It's kinda like a more 80's cyberpunk 40k taking place only in our solar system.

Are those kit-bashed 40k figures?

There are some Warhams Fantasy bits in there. Not that poster, but I recognize the left and center heads as being from the empire flagellants kit.

The rifle on the left also looks like a modified las rifle.

Think the dud on the right is a Necromunda hiver.

he's achaos cultist with work shoulder pads.

I only know about Prodos' problems, Modiphius....iunno, did they not deliver?

It's quite decent, yeah. You have a bunch of megacorporations each with a distinct theme (Capitol is 'merrica in space, Imperial is UK in space, Mishima is Japan in space, Bauhaus is Germany in space, Cybertronic is terminators), then you have the Cartel that manages intercorporation wars, the Brotherhood that's Christianity in space but with actual powers, you have the Dark Legion which is basically Chaos from Warhammer with their gods and everything, but for some reason I like this a bit more with their biotechnology, and the fact that the apostles and other assorted baddies have their own better defines reasons to do shit. Plus there's a pretty good explanation for the stepback in technology, namely the Dark Legion can take control of the advanced stuff, so they gotta keep it basic. Overall, highly recommended, all the old stuff, including the RPG books can be found at Mutantpedia in pdf.

Converted chaos cultists.

I'm currently working on a wargame set in a post apocalyptic wasteland, my scale of choice is 6mm as I'm going to be focused on fast car/vehicular combat.

Since I'm very early in writing stage I thought I'd ask you guys what you wanted to see more of/like seeing in a post apocalyptic wargame.

Fallout-like, or Mad Max-like, or something else?

I'm planning on ripping off Mad Max more than I am Fallout.

In particular I'm thinking Road Warrior and Fury Road Mad Max.

Yeah, looks like Blanchitsu to me, or heavily inspired by him.

We do something like this to intoduce people to infinity based on this.

For a multiplayer game I would suggest looking at infinity's aro system, so its not an Igoyougo thing with people just waiting for their turn.

20mm is best for conversion of matchbox cars (see dark future and warlands).

Modi is molasses slow on delivering while also promising everything. IIRC Achtung Cthulu is the only thing fully delivered and that took over 2 years.

AWESOME!
What is it like to play it?
How about other formats beside deathmatch?

Infinity uses an activation system, where when you activate a miniature, everyone that can see it gets to do a single action in response. This means that positioning is important and whenever another player acts, you can do stuff too. It keeps the pace up and means there isn;t any -downtime- where you can just wait for your opponent to end their turn.

It also has a face to face roll system kinda like the price is right. After applying modifiers, each model has to roll under a target number to succeed, if the roll is opposed by someone acting against you, the easy example shooting and being shot back at, you need to succeed but also roll higher than them.

I don't think I explained it well, so here's a playlist of the tutorial vids.

youtube.com/watch?v=xNe1P6jLLLE&list=PL242B9F75D59B040F

As for game modes, Infinity is usually a 1v1 wargame, I haven;t done much with single miniature multiplayer stuff, but I imagine that just taking fps game modes like king of the hill and infection should translate well.

As a final note though, Infinity lives and dies on the terrain setup, you need enough line of sight blocking buildings but not so much that shotguns reign supreme

Hope this helps!

Anyone else play any Fairy Meat? I picked up the starter box for dirt cheap and I've been playing a few games. It's really fun; crazy and entertaining. I picked up a lawn gnome and I'm starting to do some (amateurish) conversions to play some Clockwork Stomp. Good times.

Fairy Meat is what I use my old Mage Knight figures for. It's all they're good for, these days...

>Native American orcs

Ugh, not my cup of tea. I hate Warcraft for making this shit popular.

I dont mind it actually. Gives them a bit more flavor than your typical ork has.

Yeah I thought so too at first but it's become way too common for my taste. I feel like super evil Tolkien-esque orcs are actually more uncommon/interesting at this point. That's just me though.

mind telling us a bit more about how it plays?

This feels reading a post from the alternate universe?
Tribal orcs are rare af imo, they're just a race of evil greenigger barbarians 95+% of the time. GW savage orcs touch upon the concept very fleetingly, but they really feel more like LARPing orkz than anything else. What other native orcs are you thinking of?

It's a points-based skirmish game where you control a warband made up of cannibal fairies who get more powerful when they devour their dead enemies/comrades.

The rules are simple; every model has a number of "Live" points which gives the fairy more defense and "Kill" points which gives her more damage. As you take damage these become unusable "Meat" points that if the model dies can be absorbed by other fairies who take bites from the corpse.

There are no dice rolls. The only thing you need is a deck of playing cards and contested checks are decided by who gets the highest card between two players. You keep the jokers in the deck and hilarious shenanigans can ensue when one comes up and the rules are different for a joker showing up in any given check.

The game is totally unbalanced I imagine but that's not really the point I think and it's a ton of fun if you don't take it too seriously. Which considering the source material it's pretty easy not to take it seriously.

lol well I'm not super into fantasy but I feel like I see (saw?) them a lot.
I played confrontation for a while and those for sure fit the bill.
I feel like TES orcs have become more and more like this as time has progressed.
The new HOMM games fit this to a tee as well; they're really almost entirely a ripoff of the Warcraft orcs.

I don't see Tolkien orcs as being as barbarous as you seem to think either. There is a country mile of difference between the sly and militaristic Tolkien orcs and Warhammer orcs for instance.

Here's a dropbox of all the rulebooks if you're interested

dropbox.com/sh/jd5yeg8u80u6nqg/AADEU-9kWD279xlFnisMttfGa?dl=0

neat

Hey guys. Nice thread!

Would any of you play a game which had different factions of really distinctive races or with really specific designs (lore wise), but that had no minis for the moment?

I'm saying this because I've been designing a wargame for years now, and factions are pretty specific. I wouldn't mind using alternative minis, but maybe players would be put off by the lack of minis at all

Maybe in the future I'll save enough to do that

That really depends on the rules and/or the lore of these specific factions. If i like the ideas behind it and if it plays good.. i don't see a problem there.

Nowadays it would be a tough sell without minis. However, if you keep mini scale in mind when designing the play area it would work (that way people can sub in their own minis - 28mm scale is best)

>28mm scale is best
Those are fighting words around these parts

How does the idea of a your dudes ship game sound. As in your 5 guys and a space ship, maybe playing something like ftl, split between a grid based crew map and a x wing esque ship battle half. In a moebius style setting

On the other hand I don't know how hard or expensive it is to hire a sculptor and have him make some minis. At least a few, and then make a kickstarter or something.

But my idea in the first place would be 28mm skirmish campaign-based game (a la Mordheim or Necromunda), so everyone would be able to use their warhammer/LOTR/warmahordes/whatever figs.

The thing is, I wanted to release the rulebook first and see if the game has any success before spending a really BIG chunk of my money on making miniatures.

>Fringe reference
My fellow black man.

>28mm scale is best
For skirmishing, yes, for mass combat, absolutely no.

Let me give you some maybe helpful tips (no refunds). Do some sketches for the factions, probably turn them into paper cutouts. Include them in the rulebook, say that right now it's non-specific for the miniatures, but you want to make your own. Put it up on Wargame Vault and see how it fares, make demo or lite rules, make the cutouts flashy and free, put all your effort into them, don't half-ass it. And, try to learn 3d sculpting, or heck, regular sculpting with armatures. Hasslefree sell a bunch of basically readymade stuffs, and you get permission to sell the minis made with those (including heads) automatically. Or, get one set sculpted at a time, and no need for 10 different poses - 4-5 bodies with some arm and head options will be enough. Make the minis modular, so you can use the existing parts for sth else too.

>added to the trove

Hadn't thought about making paper cutouts actually, that's really good advice!

Me and my brother are currently working on the art of the game. I hope something good comes off it. I'm also working on the lore, and refining some of the rules.

It's gonna be so your dude-sy

No probs, man, glad I could help.

mm scale is best
>For skirmishing, yes
Debatable, 15mm can be amazing for skirmish games when you take into account the massive amount of terrain (and how cheaply) you can put on the table.

Battlestations has stuff like this, you should give it a look. Bit crunchy and not very Moebius though.

Then there's stuff like Space Alert that's just a boardgame with crew dealing with crises, but Battlestations is the sort of thing that could be really good if it was better, if you know what I mean.

I mean I'm interested.

>28/32mm
Aesthetic as fuark. Bigger than this and you are wasting space for the most part. Good for skirmish, bad for war
>15mm
If you want to play a skirmish game on a huge map with semi believable fire arm ranges and tactics this is premium scale. For nogunz games kinda a waste of potential. Start to lose your dudes quality as conversion becomes difficult.
>6mm
Proper war game scale.
>2mm
Just use tokens

> he forgot 10mm master race

user, you could've just outright told us you were a pleb.