/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Previous Edition:

>tfw no shield-maiden waifu

>Pact of the Blade gets an automatic extra attack at level 5 and the EK War Magic feature at level 10
>Thirsting blade changed: When you damage a target with your pact weapon, you have advantage on all attacks against that target made with your pact weapon until the beginning of your next turn.

Yes or no?

Will Wheaton did nothing wrong Edition

Shut up, wesley.

Just make her, user. I did and it rocked (Battlemaster Fighter who went Protection specialization so I could shove my shield in peoples faces when they dared to attack my allies).

As long as you get rid of the extra attack invocation then yes go ahead.

War magic seems alright but that is giving me a min maxing feeling. That's not giving an option that's giving you a constant bonus action turn. War Magic is good for fighters cause attacking is all they have, the spell won't do much relative to 3-4 attacks, only make them stronger. War magic for a warlock means it's just 4 eldritch blasts then a glaive attack.

Advantage on all attack rolls against an enemy after a hit is a big fat no. Imagine a gish that when they use a spell slot they have a chance of not losing the spell slot. Having a caster do something a martial can't concerning melee combat seems dumb in my opinion. You want to be bringing them closer to martials not be overtaking them.

Anyways I thought the pacts were meant for utility why not just give the warlock maneuvers and two superiority dice for in combat utility and be done. I'll be nice you can use your charisma modifier for the DC.

Has anyone ran a 5e game in the Warhammer world (set before the end times, of course)?

I'm currently DMing LMoP for my group and getting a bit annoyed at how badly Faerun meshes with my own expectations of a medieval fantasy world. I tend to want a lot of mud, blood and grittiness, with magic something the common folk are afraid of or at least incredibly superstitious about. Elves are incredibly alien creatures that mortals have a hard time understanding, xenophobia is rampant.
I used to play WHFB TT in my teens and WAR later on so I have some experience with the setting. It seems it would fit my needs well.

RIght now I'm kind of torn between using the Warhammer setting wholesale, copying the races I like into Faerun (replacing the boring ass Wild Elves with Asrai, for example) or just tossing both in a blender and coming up with a new "totally original" setting.

>Just make her, user.

But user, I don't think there are Not!Scandinavians in Eberron.

>just tossing both in a blender and coming up with a new "totally original" setting.

This is what I did in my Totally Original (DO NOT STEAL) setting.

The Boreal Elves (Warhammer High Elves) are constantly invading the southlands in the hopes of getting to warmer climates, while the Boreals who got cultured and civilized are Cosmopolitans (vanilla Elf.)

And then you've got the Lunar Elves (Aen Elle from Witcher,) who only show up every Full Moon to launch Wild Hunts against the surface world for slaves and amusement.

The setting's Not!Scandinavia is majority Half-Elf due to their proximity to the Boreals, and are noted for producing the finest blades and swordsmen in the setting.

The only proper response

The Lhazaar Principalities would fit. People commonly peg them as pirates, but they're more Viking-like to me with their culture of exploration and settlement.

Okay, question as fuck
Watching the Storm King promotional shit on Nerdist with Mercer and Chris Hardwick, Brian Posehn etc
Hardwick's PC just got smashed to fucking taffy by a rune-activated trap
Should that actually have given the attack roll that managed to crit there, or just prompted a dexterity saving throw from Hardwick to trap's natural damage?

Did Hardwick's lolrandumb wizard die for real? Please tell me it's true, he ruined that series (and watching games in general) for me on episode 1.

Treasure of the Broken Hoard when?

Episode 6 if you want to see it
54 crushing damage to a 27 max HP wizard
fucking deleted

Shut up, wesley.

I'm going to play a CE character soon... And I don't wana come off as chaotic stupid. What do?

>phb 197, massive damage/instant death rule
>damage dealt is exactly twice the wizard's maximum
That was no accident.

5E is set in Forgotten Realms, a traditionally high fantasy setting. If you're looking for low fantasy, there's Greyhawk and Dark Sun. Oh, and Mystara, but that's really fucking old.

Have you read Hogfather? If so, be like Mr. Teatime.

Shut up, wesley.

Are you implying Matt killed him or the producers scripted Wheat-on's death? Because either way I question the mechanics of the trap actually dealing the damage with an attack roll. If that's not how it works, then yeah Matt probably killed him off but I'd like to make sure I don't misunderstand the RAW since english isn't my first language anyway.

Wait, FR is High Fantasy and Greyhawk is low fantasy? As far as I have read there are just as much epic fantasy stuff in Greyhawk, things like the tale of Yggwilv and Graz'zt, their son Lux, and her mother Baba Yaga and her apprentice. That all sounded way high fantasy to me.

Depends on your characters background. You can be a selfish douche bag without fucking everything up.

If your character isn't retarded, just be clever about your actions. Do evil on the side without the party knowing, try to squeeze money out of npcs as a reward if he's greedy, have some master plan, etc. He could be evil but pretend to be a nice guy. Whatever you think would be fun/ be plausible. Might have to pass notes to your DM about some stuff if you want to go the sneaky route.

That's Teh-ah-tim-eh

Certain traps having attack rolls is kosher, if the trap is something like a spike trap or poison darts. Such traps can crit the same as any other attack roll, though I question a crushing trap getting to roll (seems more like a dex save to escape it to me).

Moreso I meant the damage. If the wizard had a max HP of 27, then 54 is the absolute minimum required to kill him from max HP with no saves.

My bad, I meant epic fantasy.

You mean like around 4 in the afternoon?

>And I don't wana come off as chaotic stupid. What do?
Well then don't be fucking stupid.

Here's some handy tips:
Don't dick the party, you're part of the party. Dicking them is dicking yourself.
Don't dick the quest npcs, they give you shit that helps you dick other, less loot-giving, assholes.
If there is no gain, there is no reason to do it.
Not being a man of your word doesn't mean never abiding by your word. You can actually fulfill a promise once or twice.
Don't be fucking stupid.

I have not. Short story?

Just be Selfish Evil, belkar did it

Pratchett novel. Discworld series. Part of the Death storyline, and the Wizards are there too I suppose.

And before I forget, they made a movie about it.

The movie is pretty good. Mr Teatime there was a very well played out character.

And now, a wonderful thought in line with this brief mini discussion in mind, how would you tinker with 5E if you wanted to run a game set on the Discworld?

>How do run [setting] in [system]
I'm going to go ahead and stop you right there.

It really was, and I quite enjoyed all the casted Wizards save for the Dean.

The Dean just wasn't right, he wasn't right I say.

Ridcully was perfect.

I love you for giving me my next book to read. So far I've only read The Colour of Magic from Pratchett.

Collor of Magic Dean was better. Same person, same position, but he was just right there. Just right I say.

Let's not forget Bilious.

I really wish they'd have done the Night Watch books, though, instead. I enjoyed The Colour of Magic and Going Postal.

The one in the film of Hogfather was not born to rune, nor did he seem particularly well studied in the school dining hall.

So did they not have a UA for this month or do we seriously have to wait another week

Well, while most of his works are great as stand alone pieces, there feels like there is backstory to Hogfather...

Ah hell, just roll with it and enjoy a merry holiday tale.

>Civic Holiday
>PAX
Another week.

They posted one. How did you miss it?

Hogfather makes more sense if you've read Mort and Soul Music.

For Christ's sake. I get its Labor Day, but is releasing something on Friday really going to destroy the world?

Obviously, why else would they adhere so strictly to their eldritch rituals. Should they not align these secretly runic wards of binding it would unbound The Dragon they bound into the internet. Nonplussed, it would be free again to terrorize and menace us with paper cuts and amusing Nodwick comics.

Mystara isn't low fantasy, it's Weird Fantasy, slightly different.

Speaking of Pax West, I went to my local theater for the Fathom Events broadcast of D&D Live and no one at my theater (all less than 15 of us) got the supposed 32 page Booklet adventure advertised with ticket purchases.

So can a warlock during downtime use 32 5th level spells at level 9? I get that with 1 hr short rests you can't use spells out of combat and then take another short rest to have them for combat again, but if you have extended periods of downtime, either a lot during a day or several days/weeks, I feel like selling spell services would be OP for them?

It only needs to deal 27*1.5 damage, so 40 damage for OHKO.

Forgotten Realms as a setting has much more emphasis on the people and it's cultures.
Greyhawk as a setting has much more emphasis on it's cosmological and demonology stuff; there's hardly a plot point or Greyhawk adventure that goes by without some major demon showing up to piss all over everybody.

This is due to the respective taste differences of the two creators, obviously.

Even if you're selling spellcasting services, its a matter of demand.

Spell scrolls then? Idk the rules about it but I feel like there should be uses for warlock spells that you could sell, even if you end up using 3rd level ones and stuff.

I can respect that. Although I must argue that most plots in FR do also stem or somehow develop from godly or otherwise otherworldly intervention. But I otherwise agree with you wholeheartedly, specially when the plots revolve around one of the myriad ancient empires of FR.

Any good DnD channels or podcasts? And additionally any playthroughs of published adventures of 5e?

P sure that's wrong mate
If any damage is left over after the big hit, if that damage is equal to your HP max, you're fuckin dead kiddo

12 hp max, 6 total, 18 hit. 12 left after 0, 12 max, dead PC.

Warlocks use slots of a 5th level and no higher. They have one 6th, one 7th, 8th and 9th Mystic Arcana, which takes a long rest.

Check out Acquisitions Incorporated I guess. I, for one, enjoy it a lot.

SKT scan progress: 182/256. I've got all up to there cropped and rescanned where needed already as well.

Also thanks to a kind user from the Discord that donated some of the artist-website-whatever digital maps from SKT and the city maps from SCAG, which have been added to the Mega.

>you will never play as an American Viking, bringing FREEDOM and LIBERTY to the oppressed feudal masses with your trusty bald raven

You doing the giant god's work, user.

you are my fucking nigger, man

That is true. Not sure what is has to do with my question though.

How do you guys feel about the Monster Hunter / Inquisitor from the Gothic Heroes UA?

You are the hero we need, but not the one we deserve

Question for everyone here: Theatre of the Mind, Battle Grid/Mat, or both?

TotM all day for most games. I have maps they can access, but my players tend to devolve into boardgame mentality when the pogs and grids come out.

They seem to get more creative when the room description is more in their heads and I certainly have more fun playing against their plans that way.

Oh, pardon, I thought you were saying level 9 spells there. My mistake.

Although, I must ask, have you ever found any spell in the warlock's repertoire that you want to cast that many times?

>Although I must argue that most plots in FR do also stem or somehow develop from godly or otherwise otherworldly intervention.

For better or for worse, that largely came about due to the Avatar War thing.
It's definitely true, but a lot of the setting itself rather then revolving around the actions of some powerful demon or deity much more often hinges on the actions of a mortal, though quite often said mortal is a powerful Wizard of sorts.

Though on occasion you get a super-powerful paladin killing massively powerful witches, then killing Tiamat, then killing Orcus.

Reposting for the guy who was asking about clerics.
For Death cleric, I think a huge amount of the character comes from the Necromancy Cantrip and Reaper. However due to your choices being Chill Touch or Spare the Dying, you're kinda shit out of luck. Best option is speak to your GM about if you can create a "Homebrew" cantrip since your options are pretty weak, the Death Cleric that I played with did this and used a Necromancy version of Thorn whip, ranged attack does necrotic damage then pulls the creature 10ft closer, adding the chance to pull two guys with reaper gave the Cleric something fun, unique and thematic to do.

Guidance is great, since 8/10 times it's a free +1d4 to every skill check in your party. Assuming the GM isn't a cuck about it and ideally he lets you just say "Does Guidance apply to that roll?" Resistance is pretty trash since you don't always know when you're going to need to make a save out of combat and eating your concentration in combat is trash.

For clerics, I prefer Healing Word over Touch, due to the nature of death saving throws aside from instant death, being at 5hp in most fights is the same as being at 15, you're still down if something beefy hits you. Since it is ranged you don't have to worry about getting to them before they bleed out and it only taking a bonus action means you don't miss out on your turn because you had to heal.

As for combat in general, remember it's really not entirely your place to shine. You're okay at combat but not going to keep up with the Martial, and your casting is more support so you won't be too flashy like the Wizard. However some spells like Guardians of Faith really bring damage and your Divinity can do heavy damage to one guy but mostly you're just going to be helping everyone else do their job better. Do your own thing and throw out a healing word if someone goes down, it's rare that you need better combat healing since you just need to keep everyone alive long enough to take a short rest.

Does anyone have the statline for the Hulking Crab from Storm Kings? I'm playing a Coastal themed druid in a seafaring campaign so this thing gets my dick hard.

While a single spell would be hard to make use of throughout the day, with a shop set up for it most could be useful. Scrying, Dream, occasionally Contact Other Plane, Dimension Door (500 ft. teleportation, even if it's only twice at a time), Banishment (mostly for spirits), Dispel Magic, Tongues, Remove Curse etc. Idk if it's an issue, it just seems like the money you could earn from this would be balanced around wizards and such, while warlocks get way more slots per day when you don't have anything else to do.

Scrying, Bestow Curse, Remove Curse.

Boom, get yourself a cheap crystal ball and you're now the crazy fortune teller.

The question doesn't lie within the fact that can you cast scrying 30+ times a day, it's where on earth are you going to set up shop that will get 30+ people come to you every day, all willing to pay to the note of a years wages for a scrying spell.

You beautiful motherfucker.

The focus isn't consumed, so it's a one time investment to set up the shop in the first place. And most settings have large cities, where a semi-reliable fortuneteller would be quite useful for several people a day. You'd just need to wait a bit if you came then during rush hour or whatever.

Taking into consideration you have those spells instead of something else that would help during the actual adventure. But sure.

You wouldn't have all of them, it just depends on the character, location, setting, downtime expectations etc. Just a few would be enough, even just Scrying could work.

Theatre of the Mind, all day. 4e made me hate grids and minis and I loved grids and minis.

You can do a battlemap and expedite gameplay and movement. *Full* ToM for combat isn't very engaging imo. At least having pennies on a table for relative positions lets everyone be on the same page.

I can do either/or, but since I use Roll20 I tend to prefer maps for battles. Especially since I started streaming my games.

Depends on the table. My college buddies rather go full theatre of the mind while the table at my home with the siblings like their minis and grids.

Second. I hope it's a beast and not a monstrosity or something, polymorph hoe.

I don't like not having a reference. Takes away from the tactical feel quite a lot.

It's a CR 5 huge beast with two claw attacks that deal a ton of bludgeoning damage and each auto-grapple.

Two more pages to scan, then I get to rotate, crop, and OCR the bunch. Expect an upload in an hour tops.

What are some standard moon druid animals to use? Just the bears?

hey gang,

my char died and I'm rerolling as Pally. now I have not rolled stats yet, and I'm about to do skill profs, and my question is: are there are pallys that have rolled as a breastplate wearer with stealth.

I'm thinking no, but does anyone experience of this working well?

As an actor, I think he had a prior commitment that he forgot about, and he expressed a new out, after all, they had a player ready in the wings. you watched LA acting work in action.

well unless your dm is nice to you and allow you to have a enchanted armour that remove the sound it makes hence no disadvantage to stealth I guess no

I mean I tried do the same and and had my pally wear something else when sneaking around

Same here, when everything is measured in feet and have exact areas of effect etc. it feels like you might as well play freeform if you're just going to ignore all that.

Link

dex pally is viable if thats what you really want. doubly so if you can convince your dm to allow ranged smites.
but overall no, if you just want breastplate instead of heavy armor, but stay str, you're just wasting stat points (unless you rolled amazing or something)
more likely, you should find a magical/enchanted gear, or look for a local druid circle and attempt to get nonmetal plate.
breastplate itself though? you're a little too smack dab between heavy, and light armor, to really bother

Cthulu's blessings upon you, friendo.

I'd recommend Dark Sun, but that brings in a whole bunch of other baggage you probably don't want. Maybe Ravenloft, but that might hit the gothic dial a bit too much.
Most of the official DnD settings were created in late 80s/early 90s, with the only outlier created later being Eberron. There's ways to make them work with the dark fantasy world, but I don't think any of them are there by default.
(Greyhawk might be the easiest to fit Warhammer stuff into, given that the demihumans are mostly sidelined, so changing them up doesn't have a bajillion rebound effects on the setting. *Plus* it had a huge war featuring a half-fiendish demigod, a decadent emperor who turns his entire nobility undead, and Nazi monks.)

Anons? I'm curious; since 5e has been really slow on the releasing new crunch part, are there any classes you think actually need to get added to 5e? Or do you think it all can be done by, at most, adding new subclasses to the corebook?

Like, 4e had the Invoker and PF has the Oracle, which are both basically "spontaneous/innate divine spellcasters". Do we need a class like this, or would a Favored Soul revamp for the Sorcerer, perhaps one not trying to add the Cleric's free armor & weapons proficiencies, do the job better?

It's good and fun. Fairly balanced and you can make the op fighter crossbow build with it if you really want to minmax.

our paladin has stripped for stealth on a few occasions, though it almost got him killed when we failed stealth anyways