Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

Friendly reminder to tell us what 3pp your game allows if you need character building help.

Do you have a dedicated crafter in your party? Does your GM put any house rules on crafting?

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/iYhDNSTq

Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warriors playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1dX4UYdtwTQKhY71Q45IHLtcu193zq1ZO5jHQ5_PnTl8/edit

Bloodforge: Infusions playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1GvwMclLSw15slYI7D5xLdjMzr-Nau92hNha9Sx0LOk4/edit

Legendary Vigilantes playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1Hrk1hl8uXVHazaiPOCvWsFUHX3PB6fQVd13tzguJTgE/edit

Old thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1zE8yJYxd6ARrqEQrdyzxQ5tedP1ffGiTp5xBb_C2ywI/edit?usp=sharing
d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/p/psychic-asylum
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Thank you OP.

no problem

Thanks guys, I'll give it a go I think. DM is generally pretty forgiving about feats, especially for me since I don't play optimized builds generally. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Is soulknife as shit as it was in 3.5 or is it finally fixed?

I am the dedicated crafter in the party, and I'm still waiting for the other players to get me a list of the stuff they want, so I know what to make the next time we have downtime. Gonna have to just compile my own list or go with the basic stuff if they don't come forward, though it's likely I might just work on just stuff for myself and my companion creature.

Fuck our summoner though. She's on two strikes, two and a half if you count all the whining about being "useless" and "a burden" all the time. I'm not making jack shit for her.

I was the dedicated crafter in my group's last game, and had such a ridiculous spellcraft check that the checks were never an issue, even when rushing the crafting an ignoring pre-reqs. The DM never made any house rules for crafting, which was good because I was the entire party's magic item factory in Kingmaker.

Now I'm the group's DM and my players have no item crafter in a campaign that will be rarely visiting towns or cities to buy items. I gave them a magic bell that summons an interplanar merchant, but they're afraid to ring it. They're seriously contemplating summoning the merchant to sell the bell to him. I think they think it's cursed, or that the merchant is evil, or something. If they pawn the thing off and start complaining about a lack of magic gear later on, I'll gleefully remind them that they have themselves to thank for it.

It's better than it was, but it's still probably Tier 4 at best. If you tack Gifted Blade and Warsoul on it you can manage Tier 3 pretty easily, even more so if your GM gives the Gifted Blade manifesting automatically.

Psychic Armory is also a blast.

Psychic Armory can eat a dongus.

>spoiler

Fuck's with people and this 'three strikes' bullshit? Second chances shouldn't come twice.

Is that you, Parrot?

Is the bell at will or once per day?
Sounds incredibly useful, being able to sell all the loot in the dungeon immediately.

If your DM is lenient, try and ask that he allows the Empiricist and Questioner archetypes to stack. Both archetypes replace/remove Poison Lore.

What you'll get from the Empiricts/Questioner is the best Skilmonkey Class in Pathfinder.

>Bard Spell list
>Level advancing Knowledge
>INT-based Social skill checks
>INT-based Perception and Sense Motive

Its not gonna shine in combat, but with Bard Support Spells, Studied Combat and Studied Strike, you won't be pulling the party down either.

It's at-will, but with a random delay between the time the bell is rung and when the merchant actually appears (fluff-wise, because he might already be busy with customers or otherwise preoccupied) and the bell itself rings very loudly. I feel that's ample discouragement against abusing it. If the players ring the bell mid-dungeon they're probably alerting some nearby enemies to their presence.

Also the merchant himself would probably get annoyed if the PCs are calling him back every few minutes to pawn off a new item they found.

How do I most effectively Barbarian with unarmed strikes? Is there an archetype for it? I want to rip and tear with my bear hands.

Why would any sane DM let them stack, though? They both trade out the same class feature for different things.

First strike was a gut feeling that they would be a problem, and watching their shitty attitude. Second strike was them actually being a twat and causing a problem. Usually I don't last past two strikes, and once upon a time I wouldn't even tolerate one. Waiting on a third strike is just me being polite to the rest of the group, because quite frankly they at least deserve a breather before more drama happens.

Sometimes it can open up neat concepts without being overpowered.

Its a hypothetical 'IF the DM allows'.

I've had good fortune of having my DM allow it, if only because the rest of the 5 man group are too focused on combat, that I had to take the role of 'plot-advancer and lore-keeper (i.e. take notes and tell the party the logical next step to the DM's game')

As for combat, I can't really do any broken shit. I pull out my trusty canesword and hand crossbow basically trying to disadvantage my opponents with dirty trick and studied strikes.

You know, honestly I'm not totally against allowing things like that, but the problem is that doing so sets a precedent and expectation for your players. If you allow it for Joe, Bob will complain next week about how he should be able to take Hexcrafter AND Bladebound, and if you don't let him he's going to accuse you of favoritism.

On the other hand, fuck Bob.

>If you allow it for Joe, Bob will complain next week about how he should be able to take Hexcrafter AND Bladebound

>Do you have a dedicated crafter in your party?
Ya.
>Does your GM put any house rules on crafting?
I'm the DM, the dude has a homebrew alchemist archetype which trades away all poison shit for a craft-only equivalent of versatile performance, which lets him replace ever more craft skills with one craft skill (which is called something silly like craft(tinkering)). By the end of the campaign, he should be able to replace all craft skills.

As for houserules per se, we the "Making Craft Work" rules with heavy DM moderation - I give DC's and craft times pretty much always, since even the base rules feel too slow for us.

And for magic items, we use unchained crafting with some further alterations.

>On the other hand, fuck Bob.

Bob is chill. At least he rolled a magus and by design, that class isn't broken.

Steve is rolling a Psychic Mage Wizard/Psion

>Bob will complain next week about how he should be able to take Hexcrafter AND Bladebound
But that is entirely RAW legal without any DM alterations.

I don't disagree, and it's a lot of work. You might have players complaining because they're overpowered combo isn't allowed by steve's is, even though steve's is less game breaking.

>Psychic Mage Wizard
Fuck Steve.

I picked a poor example of archetypes for Bob, but that's also not exactly the point of my post.

And that's the thing. You also have to be careful that you do actually recognize what would be overpowered and what wouldn't be. If you've got a player that continues to bitch about it after you say no and explain your reasoning though, that's probably a problem player (hence, "fuck Bob").

>Do you have a dedicated crafter in your party?
Yes, me.

I'm also responsible for "This is why we can't have nice things" because I rolled a Construct Rider Alchemist / Siege Mage Wizard and created a literal mammoth tank that can launch artillery fire 100ft away, rain poison gas upon a field, and single-handedly destroy castle fortifications.

I practically committed war crimes in a fantasy world because nobody had written the Nuremberg Code yet.

>Do you have a dedicated crafter in your group?
Yeah, that's me
>Does your GM put any house rules on crafting?
Nope

I have to craft for a party of 8 though, and they're forcing me to pay for the crafted items, because I don't contribute to combat (AKA I buff/debut)
I haven't crafted anything for them for 3 sessions.

>A poor example
>You picked something that, prior to a retarded errata that nobody pays attention to, explicitly stacked

At least use something that can't actually stack in your example, user.

But it doesn't stack now. If you still understood their point then why does it matter?

Wait what, what errata? I thought Bladebound+Hexcrafter still stack perfectly normally.

Because it's not the same thing at all. Bladebound and Hexcrafter never actually replace the same thing. Hexcrafter gives you the option of taking a hex as any of your arcana, not "Your 3rd level arcana must be a hex". Meanwhile, what you are doing is stacking archetypes that both replace poison lore for completely different features, giving you two things for the price of one. It's a shitty attitude to take, and one that completely ignores one of the few reasonable rules in the entire system.

What I was quoting said the stuff didn't stack before errata. I was just going off of that. I'm not the person, I was just saying that, even with the error, their point was still understood, then there's no point in focusing on the error. Pointing it out that it's an error, sure, but not focusing on it.

If I have a field of wheat, how much wheat will I get per round? Also, which cow is the best if I want to get milk and have more cows?

It only does not stack because paizo is a bunch of assholes who are anal retentive about wording, and using it as a "bad example of stacking" only serves to make him look like a massive cunt. It does the opposite of proving his point.

0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000001 of a bushel per round. Roughly

percent of, sorry

So it would take 6x10^30 years to harvest one bushel of wheat?
Damn.

Now you know why that loaf of bread at the grocery seems so expensive.

But that time is longer than the time the universe has existed.
Does our bread come from the beginning of time?

>6x10^30
*6 quintillion

Ours, no. Dwarf bread? Possibly.

If it helps I calculated for a field of one plant, as the dimensions werent specified. I also based my calculations off of average midevil crop rates. I may have bullshitted. But it's actually super unlikely without more info that your harvesting much grain "per round" assuming you mean a combat round

>Want to DM a game
>Can't be bothered finding players

You don't then, you're just teasing the people that can't get games.

What's the cheesiest build you've ever made, /pfg/?

The one build that no DM would ever allow near their table.

trox from the race builder, all the grapple and cleave feats.

I had a melee support based on binder/hex... class?/paladin of tyranny with unseelie fae. The cheesiest one I actually played was an archivist into warweaver (modified for divine spells)

I way over min-maxed an Arcanist once. Had every spell that I could possibly have in my book and quick study. Needless to say that DM doesn't allow me to play with him anymore. It was his fault for giving us a 25 point buy and every possible class Paizo had printed, plus our choice of races that were 20RP or less.

The whole gimmick was to have the exact spell to end each encounter right after it started. It was more a fact of my spending a week memorizing all the spells and applications for them and having every monster-identifying knowledge skill boosted as far as I could get it that made it ridiculous.

Antipaladin / Dread

I don't blame him. I can reduce everyone's resistance to fear effects by -8. Use disheartening display to frighten everything in a 30ft radius, and my intimidate is at +30 at 6th level.

And I only get more broken at 11th level with Shadow Twin

And that's not even before considering taking PoW for Black Seraph shenanigans or SoP for fear-enchantment bullshittery

>check PFSRD for Devolutionist Druid
>no additional alignment restrictions, just the ones Druids already have

So what would drive an NG Druid to devolve both animals and humanoids, presumably without any real spite or malice?

Half-giant mythic Bolt Ace for a +size minotaur crossbow, with mythic vital strike and the champion path for UNLIMITED RANGE

Blackpowder Inquisitor / Gunsmoke Mystic had my DM ripping his hair out.

There's just no hard counter for my build.

Is the DM for that tristalt madness game still here? My schedule is abruptly wide open and I was hoping to apply.

>be orphan on the street
>treated like dirt where ever you go
>nice lady offers to take all the pain away, to give you a nice home.
>lady has been devolutionizing the forgotten/aimless and releasing them to carefree lives in the wild.
(Looking over the archetype now, you could in theory give yourself the advanced template by applying that ritual twice)

A deep-seated desire to make giant ground sloths a thing again?

So basically, for that scenario, he'd use his attack and let's say he hit with both, each attack dealing 1d6 damage. He gets a 6 and a 5, basically making 1 hp of damage to the zombie. And then he'd roll another 2d6 damage(1d6 for each weapon) while in this stance, and the DR would apply for that as well for every 1d6?

No. The DR only reduces each individual attack once.

Exactly. Two attacks, each deals 1d6, meaning it gets DR'd twice (due to two attacks). The question is how does DR work on maneuvers. Is it special damage or weapon damage unless explicitly typed. In the scenario of that stance, that says you get an extra 1d6 per attack, it would apply twice since two attacks were made?

What's the maneuver? If it just adds +1d6 damage to your attack then it would be 2d6 that then goes through DR if it's unspecified or DR and energy resistance if it's elemental damage added.

It is okay at what it is supposed to do, and with gifted blade manifesting you get a bit of utility.It is definitely miles ahead of the 3.5 version.

Justice. They believe that with Man's Mind comes Man's capacity for cruelty. Thus, only the truly kind and compassionate deserve sentience. For the wicked is reserved a much more merciful fate than death; a return to the wild, to start over.

Weapon damage, plus strength/dex modifier, plus enhancement bonus, plus boost/strike. All one number, for each attack. Just like every other weapon attack in the game.

If memory serves, the rule is that unless its specifically stated as typed, additional damage is the type of damage as what the weapon inflicts.

And precision I think doesn't count for this, it's not so much a damage type as it is an affix to an additional damage type.

So Sneak Attack for instance would be precision bludgeoning damage with a sap.

Of course I can't for the life of me remember WHERE I read this rule.

No strings attached will always cause a Pavlov reaction that there will be a price to pay.
Why not the next time they summon the merchant, you use him as a side quest plothook to get access to better magic gear?

Somewhat of a newb here, where can I find the first Strange Aeons book for free?

Outer sphere stance from Thrashing dragon

When wielding two weapons while in this stance, the disciple gains +1d6 points of damage with his weapons and suffers a -2 penalty to AC. The AC penalty to this decreases by 1 once the character's initiator level reaches 8th, and is negated at 16th initiator level. Upon reaching 10th initiator level, the bonus damage increases to 2d6.

That's the specific example. It's a stance. I ask, because there are shitloads of maneuvers like that which say in non specific or half specific terms that it adds weapon damage, which would lead me to think that it also gets soaked alongside with the weapon damage from the actual hit, but I was not sure. I remember in the days of Tome of Battle, maneuver damage was usually specific and not weapon related, but extra untyped damage that you just kind of deal not related to the normal attack damage.

That would make sense for strikes, I guess. What about stances that add passive bonuses like the one above mentioned?

Yeah, not really easy to handle some shit. I spent like an hour yesterday fucking around with grapple rules and my head still hurts with pinned-grappled shit and why exactly would you ever pin someone who can also get out of the entire thing with one check.

thinkin about making a winged marauder, how viable/fun are they?

Oh, I'm good with grapple.

Basically, the deal is that Pinned actually STOPS them from doing things. Grappled doesn't stop them from doing things like attack you, pinned does. Also, if you've gotten to that first maintain, there's little reason NOT to pin them. It's a choice you make upon succeeding, you don't have to roll again for it or anything.

So... Can you really ride a Blink Dog, game mechanic wise?

Wouldn't that constant blink mean the rider will fall down every so often?

What is your starting level? Because your companion doesn't have enough strength to carry a naked average goblin at level 1.

Dimension Door brings friends along.

Blinkdog DD is self only

Then it's useless for riding on, unless you are inside a portable hole that it is carrying and don't need air.

I had a situation yesterday when a Gelatinous cube rolled over one of the party members. It used that engulf thing that it has which basically, if you fail the save, pins you immediately. So, I went to see what pin is. It makes you unable to act, aside from being able to cast somatic spells, but the moment you save, you are no longer pinned - or grappled, but free. If I remember, if you saved in 3.5 from a pinned, you were considered grappled again, but I might be misremembering.

Not even to mention, that when you are grappling, even if you are the one doing the grapple, you lose your Dex, are basically prone getting the shit kicked out of you by everyone else and the such. I don't know. Aside from tying someone up and then instant killing him, seems like a lot of effort for something that might not be all that ideal.

I'm more worry about constant blink, not Dimension Door.

>You lose your Dex

Nope.

Grappled/ing is only a -4 to dex. Pinning completely removes a character's dexterity bonus. A grappler who's pinning someone isn't pinned, but still loses their dex to AC (And ONLY AC, whereas pinned removes their dex bonus FOR EVERYTHING.)

This also means that Agile Maneuvers is crud for grapplers, incidentally. Since the mere act of grappling someone makes you worse at grappling. A -2 on maintains due to the -4 from the grappled conditions, and god help you if you're actually trying to escape a pin using Agile Maneuvers. I hope you enjoy that +0 modifier.

Ghost touch saddle.

Weaboo-homebrewfag here, back at it with another Samurai Archetype. Up on the roasting block this week is the Three-Sword Style, an offense-based samurai.

docs.google.com/document/d/1zE8yJYxd6ARrqEQrdyzxQ5tedP1ffGiTp5xBb_C2ywI/edit?usp=sharing

I also have thoughts of releasing a series of Samurai Archetypes since samurai feels lacking in terms of archetypes. Would /pfg/ be interested in seeing some other variations on the samurai?

That image has some horrifyingly bad proportions.

Has anyone run a John Carter from Mars style adventure?

>friend recommends me rage prophet for my oracle 1/barb X heavily focused on rage powers
Fuck no, thus shit doesn't get rage powers, I ever won't get come and get me

Too boring, especially when there's like, 4 or 5 John Carters, and you're basically at his power level at level 10 anyway

Waifu kitsune kineticist PoW.

>be level 10 wizard (pact wizard)
>Mind patron
>get into fight
>spontaneously cast Psychic Asylum as a 5th level spell
>d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/p/psychic-asylum
>use the 15 minutes to prepare the best spells possible for the fight

Is this too dirty?

Couldn't we have a character that's all four?

is there a discord for pf?

Seeing as Path of War classes can redo stuff in 10 minutes inbetween battles and have all their "spells" back in 1 minute, that doesn't seem dirty.

That harpy is 100% dirty. How did she get the start in place without hands?

>PoW initiators = full casting pact wizards

Wizards break time and space blah blah. The rules behind them are outdated and stupid.

That's amazingly cheesy and I love it.

Kinda new into 3.PF, question, how natural attacks work? If I have Bite, Gore, Hooves and Claws, can I make those 4? or I only can make either bite or gore and either claws or hooves?

>Cheesy
It isn't, 15 minutes is so intentionally obvious made for preparing spells it hurts

You can make all the attacks you're entitled to, when you spend a full-round action attacking.

>If you're able to prepare spells, you can use the time to prepare a single spell.

Does this change if you can prepare ALL YOUR SPELLS in 15 minutes?

I think you can prepare up to 1/4th your spells with 15 mins.

>The time required to prepare spells is the same as it is for a wizard (1 hour), as is the requirement for a relatively peaceful environment. When preparing spells for the day, a cleric can leave some of her spell slots open. Later during that day, she can repeat the preparation process as often as she likes. During these extra sessions of preparation, she can fill these unused spell slots. She cannot, however, abandon a previously prepared spell to replace it with another one or fill a slot that is empty because she has cast a spell in the meantime. Like the first session of the day, this preparation takes at least 15 minutes, and it takes longer if she prepares more than one-quarter of his spells.
Same for wizard