Kaladesh Discussion Thread

Old thread:
How do you like it so far? Setting, cards, power level, characters, etc.

Chandra, ToD in as top-end UR burn?

Yay or nay?

I love this set, the Modules are personal favourite.

Kaladesh is meme-y shit with forced EV.

I'd give it the go ahead. Assuming turn 4 play, your options are:
1) +1 and burn one with any of a dozen possible spells of their critter so that she survives
2) -3 to toast the big threat they have and she still survives

After that, you can continue +1ing for either card advantage or free mana.

So far, I'm not seeing any decks built around energy or fabricate as being functional - and vehicles decks especially aren't functional.

You've got stuff like Voltaic Brawler that's self-sufficient then you've got stuff like the Gearhulks that are completely unconnected to those mechanics. Only these self-sufficient cards or unrelated cards will see play.

There will be no energy decks, no vehicle decks, no fabricate decks. This set is a wash full of failed mechanics.

Its all good man, its real, just like this.

>EV
I understood everything you said except this.

The faces in both pics bother me. They just look off, especially Nissa's.

And this

The description of that is probably:

>Chandra and Nissa are trapped in a prison of Kaladeshi design, high-tech and fancy-looking. Both of them are furious and struggling to escape.

And then the end result is this.

This set seems to have a LOT more eternal playable cards than the previous few. The non-intro pack walkers seem pretty strong, and more artifact support is never a bad thing. That being said, this whole energy mechanic is underwhelming. It seems like a pain in the ass to keep track of, to be completely honest, and vehicles seem stupidly broken in limited, particularly if there is a dragon fodder, or some such cheap token generation. I really like that new nissa and the gearhulks though, they seem playable right out of the box.

Yay for hugs!

Why does she have the hairline of a man in his mid 40s? Without that paint on her forehead she would like a creepy clown.

In art, we use the expression "less is more" for a reason, way too much face detail.

Living in Ravnica will do that to a Zendikari.

Expected Value. Meaning that the a lot of the Mythics are format breaking and will be over $50 straight out of the gate. This is to compensate for the lacklustre rares and a barely supported mechanics like Energy.

I like to think that the only reason art of Nissa has AEther displayed on it, is because she's the only one who can see it.

I mean, if she can see the flow of mana in Leylines, Kaladesh must look like a Van Gogh painting to her.

Are we still pretending she wasnt planewalking hitler?

Explain this. I'm new here.

All elves can see it on Kaladesh as well.

Can we skip this and just get to amonkhet?

Nissa Revane wields green magic to muster her people and amplify their might. But recently she has begun using black mana covertly, believing it a necessary means to move the elves toward their rightful place.

The sternly beautiful Nissa Revane is a proud and ruthless nature-mage. She seeks to prove that her people, the elves, are the true heirs and best stewards of the planes of the Multiverse. Nissa prefers deeds to words, though, and she has become a master summoner of her elvish allies so their blades and arrows can do the talking.

Nissa hails from Zendikar, where her own race fights for survival against an increasingly savage ecosystem. The elves of Zendikar span many of its continents, and Nissa leads a large tribe known as the Joraga. Weakness is a luxury no one can afford on this fierce plane, and as a result Nissa despises weakness in others.

Her planar travels have taken her to other places where elves thrive or even rule, such as the sunny world of Lorwyn. There she met elves who fully embraced their role as the pinnacle of nature, using both life magic and its shadow to assert their primacy. This encounter led Nissa to experiment with black mana on her own terms, in secret, using it to complement her own elvish teachings.

And Nissa will need all the magic at her disposal to protect her elves. Zendikar is growing stranger and more hostile to its inhabitants. Nissa's quest for elvish domination of the plane will be set aside as she and her tribe fight harder and harder simply to survive in Zendikar's violent terrain.

I'd prefer it if we skip amonkhet as well while we're at it.

But the problem is...they aren't.

According to SCG (the leading source in how to stab someone's wallet), pack Chandra is $60, Seheeli and Nissa are $25, and everything else spoilered (including several other mythics) are less than $7.

And in case people missed it

Love the setting. Kaladesh as a plane is a total hit.

Cards are fun if not very practical, lots of EDH stuff as I expected. Good thing I play Commander. Still, there are lots of niceties both for Modern and Standard which I play too.

Powerlevel is around Shadows over Innistrad set, but lower than Eldritch Moon I'd say. I can already tell Aether Revolt's gonna be quite pushed though.

Character design is cool, but I don't care much about the characters themselves other than Delpala, Pia and Dovin. It's all about what the characters make for me, the artifacts that is.

The mechanics are cool. Energy is my favorite since it catters to my style of deck, high variance and synergistic. Vehicles are fun but they won't hace much of an impact in the meta unless some seriously potent ones are released. Otherwise, they are too much of an investment.

Fabricate is ok for a +1/+1 counters mechanic, easy to learn for noobs, most likely crazy in draft.

Looks like Ajani was in a catfight.

Fuck, they look so pissed.

I pity the fool who has to stand guard over them.

Where is this from?

>liliana will never be a sexy bitch again
>nissa is an objectively inferior garruk
>ajani is objectively better than giddeon

I like the idea that Chandra and Tezzeret have just dueled in an arena here, and then...
>SUPRISE MOTHERFUCKER
Suddenly everyone knows about planeswalking.

Wait for the first modern tournament after KLD. I didn't mean they're breaking limited or standard, modern is getting a lot of good cards to a lot of tier 1 decks.

Probably leaked promotional art from the motherboard.

Are we taking fluff or cards? Because fluffwise, Liliana is still a sexy bitch (emphasis on bitch), Nissa and Garruk are different ends of the respect nature spectrum (respect nature please vs respect nature or it'll mess you us). I also consider the characters of Ajani and Gideon too different in personality to be compared.

But the specific comment was for the being released "straight out of the gate" at $50, which I just don't see being true for anything that's not Chandra atm.

>liliana will never be a sexy bitch again
See pic related and Liliana, the Last Hope.

Oh, that's true. I'm a dumbfuck.

I understand canonically liliana's character, doesn't mean they didn't neuter that shit as much as possible.

>female artist
>lots of effort on the males
>minimal effort on the females

Liliana a cute!

Cute!

So is there a reason to play taigobot in standard or is it safe to wait to buy one until its price tanks?

She was like that. Waging war against Lovecraftian monsters tends to make you trust other races a bit more

Could that be Amonkhet?

NISSA IS CUTE

CUTE

>no love for dragon cocksleeve cyborg

;-;

>Tezzeret is black
tezzerator confirmed for best black walker?

>I'll keep watch, happy now?
Fuck that triggers me. This is what Liliana's supposed to be like, some weird hybrid between Elvira and a sexy dominatrix. In the latest arc, she's totally unremarkable and her art is extremely bland, and somehow more unrealistic than her other art.

It's time to just accept that Lili is being made a good guy and is consigned to a future as the edgy member of the NotAvengers

>return things
>fill your hand
>EoT discard until delirium

That's not Koth

Well, the focus of the set Kaladesh isn't about Kaladesh per-se, it's about The Inventor's Fair, which is a bright and happy event in the setting itself

>tfw no Garruk to complete the Planeswalker Linebackers

Indeed

Why does Gideon have such predominant black features like his big lips and nose?

He's greek lebanse now

But user, why? This is like retconning Elesh Norn into a planeswalker, only to have her awkwardly flirt with Chandra about all the cats in her warm lap. And call Giddeon "Gids" or "Beefslab" or whatever. I guess I'm just mad that the lore turned into unreadable garbage, and now it's leaking into flavor text, so I can't just ignore it.

I understand but such features aren't common among those people.

>Elf Hitler and multiplanar terrorist mindfucker are now lesbians on the Justice League

This is bad writing on another level

Shut the FUCK up, Maro.

cant all be thragtusk

I get the feeling the art direction of this set was designed in order to appeal to and attract female players.

This isn't a complaint, it's a welcome sight after more Zendikar and more grim dark Innistrad.

>Poowalk

Im hoping for a megazord to crew

That's actually half-decent. I would tota-
>can't be blocked by creatures with power 2 or less
>not can only be blocked by creatures with power 2 or less
It's shit.

>koth
Hes not even black, get your shit together.

Are you fucking serious? At common? That's going straight in like 5 decks.

What do you guys think of this card?

Looks pretty good to me

>Giving the canonical reason
>Am Maro for some reason
Whatever

>crew 5

Do they need to be teenagers?

With attitude?

>not even black

Is this bait?

That sounds far more interesting than "generic nature-mage who can see ley-lines".

Bad Elvish Visionary. The life is irrelevant.

New Nissa into Chandra, Flamecaller is ridiculous. Limitless lines of play that become intense blowouts whenever you have multiple of either in hand.

For example, Chandra -4 into Regrow into Chandra -1 to hit every creature in Standard. Or Nissa +1 while at five lands to force Chandra out.

Just imagine clearing the board, and then swinging for 11+ the turn after. With a second Nissa that's 16 damage, or 17 with a second Chandra, with Nissa ready to regrow into whatever you just sacrificed.

>6 mana 10/7
>can't be chump blocked
>will most likely be killing an opponent's midrange creature every combat
>it's shit

Veeky Forums really is bad at magic, but feel free to keep passing them to me in draft.

>black used to spend life for card advantage, blue used to get it from mana, green from creatures, red would trade and white would tutor
>now black just gets cards, green just gets cards, white just gets cards, red still trades for them, and blue doesnt get cards
What a wild ride

Why don't Nissa and Chandra just planeswalk out of prison?

Maybe he'll be black in return to new phyrexia but hes a red planeswalker, and daretti is already the best red walker.

You are saying this in the set with fabricate in it?

Great in limited.

>spend 6 mana
>tap 5 power worth of creatures
>still doesn't have haste
No user, it's shit. Justifying a garbage card on draft playability is like saying Derevi is the best card in magic, when it's only playable in commander, but worse, because it wont be used in a single constructed deck.

I would rather the planeswalkers stay as complete assholes and divided rather than them pretend that they weren't while chilling at The Jace Crib

There is a 2 power pilot that gives an artifact it crews haste for 1R

Constructed magic is a roshambo garbagefest. Limited and cube are the only formats worth playing.

Planeswalking is a plot device that only functions when it advances the plot in the direction that the author wants.

Remember who we are talking about. They are literally the least clever among the walkers

Yup, and I'm sure you'll get a playset of them in a draft.

>this opinion
While I generally like limited and cube, commander is a fine format as well. Standard and Modern are pure cancer.

Nah. Just build yourself a servitor real quick and let that fag drive the Sky Skiff that drives the Fleetwheel Cruiser that drives the Stomper to do your shopping or whatever, while you continue to make cool artifacts or some shit.

Disregarding the butchering of 'Rochambeau,' what the fuck is that even meant to mean?

You meant to say
>Black magic has always had the ability to limit the planeswalkers ability to penetrate the barrier that separates one plane from another. Its not out of the realm of possibility for bolas to teach tezzeret how to do this after he failed twice, both times to planeswalkers.

Wait, why would these need haste?

Artifacts aren't affected by summoning sickness, and it turning into an artifact creature (which isn't being played) would sidestep that, right?

No, it wouldn't. The same reason animated lands don't either.