The Official MTG Snowstorm/Lore Thread

Welcome to the MTG flake/lore thread!
Last Thread: Bra Size General

Writefagging last time: Some dyke If you want ANYTHING to go in the repo, just summon me. Otherwise I will only put writefagging and sheets in the repo.

Also, I added the blank template to the ALL FLAKESHEETS folder. And the old snowsheets are under "Snowstorm sheets" > "1- ALL FLAKE SHEETS."

To summon me simply say
>OP OP, I SUMMON THEE. PLACE THIS FILE IN THE REPOSITORY.
Unless that's too gay.

>Current Repository

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/open?id=0Bwl7IuoVRkFxUDZRVGVfQ1BDbm8
magiccards.info/query?q=t:elemental c!wB&v=card&s=cname
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/planeswalkers-guide-gatecrash-part-2-2012-12-12
drive.google.com/open?id=0B-bqTtfMpEHWVUI5dURzakE4VWc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You know I think they should move from the 'star Trek" format of a single team hopping from world to world to a "Brave and the Bold" set up, where one or two relevant gatewatch members team up with native heroes to deal with local issues and stories, and then have a bigger metaplot in the background.

That way you get to play aroudn with new toys but the Guest Walkers can come back and join the watch if they are liked enough.

That seems to be what they're doing with Kaladesh. So far it's Liliana and Chandra with Baan, Tezzeret, and Saheeli, yeah?

Saberflake still has regular text.

Color balance and all.

Nissa probs wouldn't have gotten a card and just been a guest like lilli but they needed a green walker just like how they had to make up the werewolf walker for soi block

Baaan is almost certainly UW which means if we are getting Tezz he may have to be 3 color to not fuck up balance

Baan and Tezz are bad guys
Chandra is the protagonist GW face
Sahleed is the new pro tag
Nissa is relevant to GW pro tag
Liliana is hanging out with no card

I'd be down with a Grixis Tezzie, but we've already got red and blue pretty handily covered.

>pay as you go electricity
and here I was thinking that the Aether distribution on Kaladesh and Etherium on Esper was stupid and too far-fetched to be real

Where's the repository?

What's wrong with aether distribution on Kaladesh? It's a relatively new resource so only the rich and the scientists that work for them get access to it, with exception of the inventor's fair, likely also sponsored by some rich philanthropist Carnigee style

I'm asking because the Conflux was a natural event of Alara where the shards reunited, while the sundering that split them was ALSO a natural event.
For what reason would Bolas throw the shards at Tarkir when he needs them to crash into each other to get back to psuedo-oldwalker power levels?
Hell, under what power would he be able to do so since he was Elder-dragon neo-walker tier at the time.
It makes sense politics wise, but lorewise, it's really, really dumb.

We blew it up.

Sahleed is probably just like Arlinn, token current plane planeswalker with a little bit of lore but who doesn't really do anything super important.

drive.google.com/open?id=0Bwl7IuoVRkFxUDZRVGVfQ1BDbm8

Tell me about angels, /snowflake/.
Do they all represent some kind of virtue?
Are they all cute grills?
Is there some way for a woman to become an angel?
Is there one that's all about wrong things done for good reasons?

It varies by plane, but the commonalities are that angels are invariably female just as demons are invariably male, and are somehow "created"/artificial beings, therefore unable to spark unless one is granted to them.

And you're probably looking for Orzhov angels.

>spoiler
Wait, for real?

Yeah, for real.

Huh.

How does that make you feel?

Ambivalent. On one hand, good ole Yin-Yang metaphor, their respective genders are hardly relevant to their roles and if reversed it would be even worse.

On the other hand, no cute wingbois and Sheoldred-like sexy demons make me sad.

I couldn't care less about any accidental implied sexism, that's just people looking for something to be outraged at and for trolls.

Although I'd bet if we had another Planar Chaos set they'd have a succubus in there somewhere.

...Although Devils aren't gender-restricted, that we know of, and succubi are likely BR with an emphasis on R, so maybe on a plane where devils aren't creepier goblins...

>For what reason would Bolas throw the shards at Tarkir when he needs them to crash into each other to get back to psuedo-oldwalker power levels?
Crashing five pieces of one plane relased massive power for him so throwing planes at eachother willc ause a chain reaction that will give him maximum overlord power.

The Multiverse is like a stack of cards, Bolas uses Alara's natural instability to basically turn it into a jenga bomb, it crashes into Tarkir; then its empty space causes say ravnica to drift out of phase and crash into Innistrad which causes New Phyrexia to smash into kaladesh and so on and son ; end game is a multiverse devastated (and thus no walkers left to challenge him) and the energy byproducts of the collisions powering him up to beyond god tier.

Daily reminder angels are default women to avoid religious comparisons

and demons are default men to make you feel good about brutally killing them.

I did not make that shit up. Wotc said that shit.

Devil-like female demons are lame, them being very powerful like proper demons is part of the appeal for me.

Hmm. Well, you can't say it didn't work.

You mean like Otherwise, yeah, you're right. On the other hand, there is at least one confirmed way for a human to become a demon, so there're probably more ways, and probably ways for humans to become angels too.

Flakewise, we typically don't ask too much about your angel/demon being whatever gender so long as they used to be something that actually could obtain a planeswalker spark first since Angels and Demons are created beings and can't actually hold a planeswalker spark.

Yeah, that sounds fucking stupid. At least MTG wise.

Who created them, anyway?

Angels and Demons are usually created when there's enough swirling white or black mana respectively on a plane, then they kind of just spawn into existence.

I think Orzhov have rituals to make their own knock-off angels too, but typically they just get Boros defectors to join them.

On some planes it's pretty ambiguous.

Innistrad's planar guardians are angels, or were before SOMEBODY fucked all that up, but its black mana is so powerful it spawns endlessly reincarnating demons all the time. Nobody appears to be consciously creating them, although based on Call to Serve Avacyn had the power to turn humans into angels.

Hopefully she left some notes on how Sigarda can do that otherwise Innistrad is ten kinds of fucked.

>Angels and Demons are usually created when there's enough swirling white or black mana respectively on a plane, then they kind of just spawn into existence.
And they call that "created"? That's a pretty lame justification. Seems like they are completely natural. They seem basically white and black elementals, just a bit more sophisticated.

It's really just a scaled up version of the Alara plan.

No.
No.
Yes.
Yes.

Do you see many b or w elementals?

They are naturally formed, kind of like a mystical storm.

However, they can be created through Planeswalkers power or enchantments.

Yes.

And most elementals don't count as "born" either. Angels and demons are basically solid chunks of white or black mana, a solid spirit or a shade with a physical body basically, not anything biological and "living" even if they can do things such as have emotions and reactions and ambitions.
The "Aethorborn" in Kaladesh will likely follow this same pattern.

Except it
A: Requires more power than even oldwalkers at their height had
B: Breaks the rules of the multiverse since planes are more across dimensions than across space/time
C: Breaks the rules of the mending since the boundaries of the blind eternities are thicker and stronger than they were when oldwalkers didn't have the power to do this, why would Bolas be able to now?
D: Shut up Vronak

What makes an angel an angel, besides the wings? What other attributes and abilities do they generally have?

That wasn't me.

>many
Elemental of dust, too, and some others. But not many. It is like saying many blue angels exist.
Elementals tend to be a RUG thing. Usually when it comes to b or w it is shades, spirita, angels and daemons.

>Sigarda starts Call to Serving en masse
>doesn't realise that it worked well before because the human-angels would be in minority and fall in line with the other angels
>Sigarda literally just gave a bunch of humans wings and power upgrades
Massive amounts of lesbianism ensues

Really though I think new angels will just spawn. I think Avacyn existing really upset the balance of the plane in that respect. She needed to exist in some form because Vampires were created which upset things but she was too good at what she did leading to an opposite swing. Perhaps before Avacyn angels did respawn like demons do now? Now that there are no angels and still a lot of horrors I think Innistrad will do the same thing it did with demons when Avacyn arrived and make a bunch of angels to offset it.

Just an idea, Innistrad as a plane seems to be all about balance which is what makes it a shit place to live. Avacyn was made as she was to exemplify that trait because Sorin knew that it was important.

The standard superhuman stuff like immortality, strength and endurance. They're literally made of mana which makes for extremely strong and tough beings. It also means they are usually gifted with strong magic too. Personality wise they usually have a strong code they adhere to which is why they are almost always partially white.

It means your toaster is a champion shitposter.

Not having private parts.

>The standard superhuman stuff like immortality, strength and endurance. They're literally made of mana which makes for extremely strong and tough beings. It also means they are usually gifted with strong magic too. Personality wise they usually have a strong code they adhere to which is why they are almost always partially white.

Good trade, IMO.

Is 48 not many?

>Breaks the rules of the multiverse since planes are more across dimensions than across space/time
what?

Ok how would you do a Planar War arc?

He's kind of right. Planes are their own universe. Some as small as an island, some are large as our universe.

Tends to vary by plane. Most planes are like that.

>Angel: Woman with wings on. Anything else is fair game after that.
>Demon: Monstrous dude, usually with wings, horns, or both. Anything else is fair game after that.
>Dragon: Great bloody flying alligator. All other details may vary.
>Hydra: Large lizard with too many heads. Details may vary.
>Sphinx: Part cat, part bird, part man, part douche. Amounts may vary.

I think you may be right. If nothing else, Nahiri fucking with the plane's leylines and mana so much should have after-effects that might help it rebalance, so things can continue there rather than just turn into backwoods Grixis.

Also, shitty a place as Innistrad is to live, I'd fucking jump at the chance to become an angel. It beats the shit out of being a human on that god-forsaken rock, even if it does mean you are a beautiful woman but have no genitalia.

I wouldn't since that is dumb.

I dont know what he means by that though

You have a brand built on cool worlds; having a fight between them is a natural story point.

magiccards.info/query?q=t:elemental c!wB&v=card&s=cname
White and Black have 48 elementals all together
Of note Black's number is partially inflated by the BR tribe of Elementals cursed and mutated on Shadowmoor. I'll let them count because they're obviously there, but they're basically hyper corrupted zombie forms of the Lorwyn red elementals
That said there are 327 elementals in RGU, without including things that make elemental tokens, turn lands into elementals, or anything of the sort.
Elementals aren't really much of a white or black thing.

Planes do not exist in the same space. For simplicity's sake: You can't get on a Bant Rocketship, fly up, pass Innistrad's moon, and crash land on Tarkir.

I wouldn't because it's dumb. If you HAVE to, the only confirmed way you could would be overlaying one plane onto another, which is even dumber.

There are 37 creatures that are elemental and at least partially white, with red having 152, green having 90+ and blue having around 70, withot counting the list of blue, red and green cards that spit out elemental tokens.

So angels don't have private parts but do have boobs, right?

Private parts are used to both satisfy carnal desires and lead to being a normal person (having family, being generally mortal stuff).

Protecting people requires none of these things, right? So that's why thay don't have them.

But boobs? Boobs can save lives: imagine some orphan baby left to fend for itself after their family has been massacred. Kid ain't old enough, he need's a mothers milk, but it's a fucking wasteland out there after the tragedy that just happened, maybe they're the last survivor of their village and will starve to death. That's when boobs on an angel save lives, and that's why they have them.

D E E P E S T L O R E

Clearly Serena has a lot of orphans on Innistrad to save.

>>Planes do not exist in the same space. For simplicity's sake: You can't get on a Bant Rocketship, fly up, pass Innistrad's moon, and crash land on Tarkir.
I know that; I explicitly said it was a multiversal crash akin to Incursions from Marvel Comics or Crisis from Dc Comics.

'Orphan Savours' is a nice euphemism but I think I still prefer mana batteries.

Does...does that mean they're lactating all the time, just in case? That's gotta be kind of uncomfortable.

Maybe it's just something they could do on demand in response to a need.

How the hell does an angel get so thicc? Aren't they supposed to beat at peak health all the time or something? There's no way that's all muscle.

Probably just whenever they see a baby in a dangerous situation without anyone to help them.

Fetishes. Everyone will clap at your art instead of asking questions, if you cater to their fetishes.

I suppose I'm special in that I can do both at the same time.

>but typically they just get Boros defectors to join them.
This is absolutely not the case.

Angels of Despair are in fact, made. The Orzhov even seen to have some small level of control over the details of their making. However, the Syndicate does not just go handing them out to anyone; they are typically used by the organization's officials as additional awe factor to special events.

However, very high-ranking members of the Guild sometimes can have such angels made for them, to act as bodyguards. Unfortunately, a lot of Orzhov are creepy and enjoy abusing their power, meaning that they sometimes also do things with their 100% loyal angels that would seem profane to anyone.

Firemane Angels, of the Boros, were made by Razia, the parun of the Boros Legion. Referred to as the arch-angel, Razia created all other Firemane Angels in her own image, as copies of herself, with certain ideals that are like hers ingrained into them.
Firemane Angels can not tell lies. Some say that they can even hear people's prayers, I've seen see people try praying to them in the novels in the hopes that it's true. They are ingrained with a different form of duty and ideals, and certainly don't switch sides. Even if they aren't all quite the same, they exist for the same reasons when push comes to shove.

>This is absolutely not the case.
This IS absolutely the case:
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/planeswalkers-guide-gatecrash-part-2-2012-12-12
Angels: Unfettered powers
>But occasionally an angel becomes disillusioned by the simplistic principles and military strictures of the Boros and desires a place where she can find proper respect. An angel who can aspire to be only a foot soldier among the Boros has the chance to wield the power of an icon among the Orzhov.

That said, I did say that Orzhov had rituals to make their own angels. But the planeswalker guide specifically says that they get Boros defectors to join them

The firemane angels may be made of Razia, but they aren't the only angels on Ravnica, there are plenty of general NOT four-winged and flaming angels on Ravnica who join the Boros, or the Orzhov.
The firemane angels are REALLY Boros, the angels of Despair are REALLY Orzhov, but other than that, there are plenty of angels in between who join those two guilds and some who don't.
The lore you're running on is outdated and retconned, like most of Ravnica, by the Return block because honestly, whoever decided everything was going extinct on Ravnica, Vampires, Gorgons, Angels, etc.etc. Needs to be fired.

Creepy? Now who's being judgmental? A 100% loyal happy with her status of a symbol of power angel is always happy to serve. Working for a high ranking pontiff means great power and authority in exchange for swearing to owe them LOADs Loyalty, Obligation, Accountability, and Disclosure of information. Actual acronym in brokerage by the way, I didn't make it up after all. A fair enough trade

So Kozies thing was spatial anomalies, Emracool had her corruption fetish, what was Ulamog's?

The biggest problem with saying that there are Boros defectors to the Orzhov is the massive disconnect from how the Ravnica block novels ended and how much of that was ignored when writing Gatecrash.

When Dissension ended, Pierakor was supposedly the only Boros angel remaining. All of the other angels had been on board the Parhelion, which flew into Agyrem and was slain by dead Szadek and his army of ghosts.

The appearance of other Firemane Angels, like Aurelia and others, is in defiance of the previous writings. Honestly, there shouldn't be any angels left TO defect, because the only one that was supposed to be left would be the Guildmaster.

E A T

OMNOMNOMNOM IM FUCKING HUNGRY

They tend to be very inconsistent about "the last" with lore.

"All the angels died–just kidding, we realized people like this plane and it needs to still have angels" is the order of the day for magic lore. Hell, MaRo was even very quick to say not ALL of Innistrad's angels are gone despite the writing of EMN sure making it sound that way.

way to not quote, me

I mean, mtg has had a sort of fat angel for a while so a thicc angel isn't out of the question.

In terms of serious answer, Serena-user has a friend who does art, so she got a "free" commission from them, but they only draw thicc so that's the end result.
And for that, the thread is grateful for her friend.
Actual Serena is a bit more "properly" figured, like this edit made by our resident shitposter implies It's the only good thing he's ever done.

Like I said in my post
>honestly, whoever decided everything was going extinct on Ravnica: Vampires, Gorgons, Angels, etc.etc. Needs to be fired.
In fact, they probably did get fired for trying to crash the plane with no survivors. My guess is because they were sure everyone would hate Ravnica the way sales says everyone hated Kamigawa.

The biggest thing that bothers me is that they did RtR block as a Jace-wank instead of actually revisiting the plot hooks left behind at the end of Dissension.

So, what are aetherborn? Can they spark? Can someone be turned INTO one?

We don't know enough yet. Just that they're gender-nonbinary and super hedonist because of their short lifespans.

>Just that they're gender-nonbinary
I mean, to be fair, they're literally made out of black mana aether. I'd be surprised if they weren't.
Though that disappointingly means no qt aethorborn girls slutting it up with inventors who make things that tickle their fancy

Aetherborn are sentient byproducts of aether refinement or something; basically they're magical industrial waste, and because they're magical they have souls. Which presumably means one could spark, but still only live a few months to a few years.

You can't become one, unless I'm greatly misinformed.

>and because they're magical they have souls.
>angels are magic
>demons are magic
>yet neither have souls

>and because they're magical they have souls
Didn't we just establish that angels and demons couldn't have sparks for this exact reason?

>but still only live a few months to a few years
Apparently some "gifted" ones can lifedrain to prolong their lives.

I like you.

>"I have invented this device! You implant it into an aethorborn's chest, turn it on, and it'll continue to refine aether for us to use while pumping the aethorborn with more waste aether, allowing them to live longer. I'll take my gajillion rupees and horde of female shaped Aetherborn who want one now and be on my way."

Kaladesh is supposed to be stupidly happy like that. Same thing happens with Lorwyn's elementals, but the elementals everywhere else don't pass the test.

I'm so glad senpai noticed me!

>Lorwyn's elementals
There's an elemental planeswalker?

No but I believe Doug said something along the lines of "But if an elemental is born, like Lorwyn's flamekin, then they could potentially have a spark" on his tumblr. Since Lorwyn elementals hit all the major criteria to spark: They can spark.

No, but it's been confirmed that a Flamekin Planeswalker is possible because they're technically born.

Ashling, the Walker when?

>tfw the repository, the lifeblood of the thread, is dead.
Without the ability to make your shit permanent, what's the point of this thread? Therefore, I am now a namefag, and will maintain the repository from now on. Please be sure to use the magic words
>OP OP, I SUMMON THEE. PLACE THIS FILE IN THE REPOSITORY.
if you need me to put something in. Keep in mind that I'm not in thread all hours of the day, and might not respond immediately
New repository link is here. If it doesn't work, please tell me.
drive.google.com/open?id=0B-bqTtfMpEHWVUI5dURzakE4VWc

Yay, a new dedicated crazy bastard! I salute the longevity of the snowstorm.

All hail.

Hooray! If you could add my sheet/writefagging from the last thread, that would be spectacular.

Huzzah!

If only I ever finished this writing for Izari.

It is done.

Thank you!

If you are name fagging does that mean you'll stop being piss user? I'll miss that.

Nothing says I can't take off the nametag now and then ;)

How powerful do you like your flakes: barely magicians, low power, adventuring, major players, godlike assholes?

I think all have their places to be honest. I generally like my characters to not be too stronk, Serena started off pretty meh, basically 3/3 angel token tier but uh... I got carried away.

I like to think that Izari is powerful by virtue of being a planeswalker, but I prefer my characters with plenty of room to grow. She's currently learning how to use magic like Thoughtseize Everlasting Torment.

I personally like my flakes at the adventuring level, but every flake has it's place.

I like all of those except for "godlike assholes". A character with nigh-omnipotence is pretty boring to me.

>an angel
>literally superhuman even without magic
>meh

Also I meant fluff wise, disregarding mechanics.

Is there no such thing as differing languages in Magic? Considering each plane is a different universe...

Phyrexia has a constructed writing system, and there were the Emrakul puzzle runes, but I get the feeling that's not what you're asking about. If "Common"-analogous languages have differences between planes, they're handwaved or never really addressed, as far as I know.

Second ability of a planeswalker spark is a babel fish.