/STG/ Star Trek General

Sneaky Rihannsu Edition

Previous thread A thread for discussing the Star Trek franchise and its various tabletop iterations.

Possible topics include the rpgs by FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher, the Starfleet Battles Universe and WizKid's Star Trek: Attack Wing miniatures and game.

Game Resources

FASA's RPG
>mediafire.com/folder/9mt7sng56l8gg/Star_Trek_RPG_(FASA)
mediafire.com/folder/cwn8tbt2qm5t4/FASATREK_Adventures

Last Unicorn Game's RPG
>mediafire.com/folder/9eiysv2192ods/Star_Trek_RPG_(LUG)
-Official and Fanmade Resources
>coldnorth.com/memoryicon/

Decipher's RPG
>mediafire.com/folder/c6tb7p6dp0pye/Star_Trek_RPG_(Decipher)
-Fan Supplements
>strpg.patrickgoodman.org

Far Trek
mediafire.com/folder/lrhbz9l0qay0j/Far_Trek

Lasers & Feelings
>onesevendesign.com/laserfeelings/

Lore Resources

Memory Alpha - Canon wiki
>en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Portal:Main

Ex Astris Scientia - Fan analyses of ships, tech and continuity issues
>ex-astris-scientia.org

Daystrom Institute Technical Library - Database of ships and technology
>ditl.org

Star Trek LCARS Blueprints Database - Ship schematics, deck plans and recognition manuals
>cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/blueprints-main2.php

Star Trek Maps - Based on the Star Trek Star Charts, updated and corrected
>startrekmap.com/index.html

Star Trek Cartography - Information and maps
>stdimension.org/int/

Other urls found in this thread:

languageadventurer.tumblr.com/post/139676678956/learn-the-alien-languages-of-star-trek-a
memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Romulan_disruptor
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Your Rihannsu a shit. Every female Romulan past TOS wears pants and is a raging cunt, rather than a sneaky woman in a miniskirt, as DA GREAT BURD intended.

Well your Rihannsu debase themselves by using Klingon ships.

It's true, but only for those terrible Commanders who are stuck on the Klingon border. Instead, we tool around in Whitewinds.

I do have a V-11/D-7 done up in Romulan colors with a green phoenix pattern on the underside though

A whatwind?

>claiming using the single best warship of the 23rd century is debasement.

I will see you dead, petaQ!

Pic related.

It is with shoddy Klingon construction. Subcommander Kafv tr'Arneh can attest to that, what with the damn thing dropping a nacelle as they were at warp.

I never said the Romulans were using the Excelscior class you Klivam'Feanna.

Oh sorry, second best then, my mistake.

You're forgetting about this sexy beast

So it's Diane Carey fanschlick time? Quick reminder that she made her Rihan-Sue the Romulan empress.

Make way for the lady that every starfleet engineer wishes they could get inside.

How many of them made it to the end of the TOS era? It seems like every time we saw a connie that wasn't the Enterprise, it had a 50/50 shot at making it to the end of the episode.

I think one or two from that Daystrom computer experiment were still alive at the end of the episode, and honestly, if you're sending ships out into the unknown with little to no backup, a high attrition rate is to be expected

There's a reason why more Mirandas and Oberths survived into the 24th century.

They were kept in rear line duty while hardier connies got sent to the front?

Of the 13 launched including the Enterprise, only Kirk made it back, IIRC. That's why Starfleet swapped to the arrowhead insignia, so as to recognize the ship's accomplishments.

>1/13 exploration vessels made it back

No wonder they upped the firepower and shields with the Excelsior.

>defining characteristic is such overwhelming thirst that Spock could seduce and destroy her
>plan never would've worked in a million years if she wasn't as thirsty as a denobulan on a planet of a salt

Not exactly a role model for the women of the Empire after that fiasco, I have a feeling.

I think they said "the only ship to make it back without major casualties".

Which is unsettling in its own right when you imagine how the red shirts on the *other* ships fared.

Id imagine "major casualties" means officer casualties.
A ship could come back with its red shirt supply extinguished and still consider it a major success.
But god DAMN if one of the god-captains of starfleet die, that's a thing they put flags on half pole for.

You mean the ship that the Romulans had to replace with best ship because they couldn't do any better?

Mirandas and Oberths were made after the Constitutions, no doubt designed with lessons learned from the lost Constitutions. I mean lets be honest, the Miranda is the perfect replacement for that old ship.

To be fair, I think much of the divide between losing redshirts compared to full officers is because of the time investment. Starfleet always seems like it's chronically short on qualified officers for most positions and losing someone reliable would be a difficulty for operations in a fleet.

Yeah, the Miranda is almost the ideal replacement for the Constitution-class: cheap, uses existing parts, and requiring much less construction time than the "iconic" ship of the fleet. The Enterprise was great, but one good ship out of an initial run of thirteen isn't great in terms of long-term return on investment.

Maybe they wouldn't come up so short if you didn't have to be a meatshield to get a shot at promotion?

The Enterprise never suffered mission-ending casualties. Sure they lose a couple of crew members here and there, but compared to what happened to the Excalibur, the Defiant and the Constellation, they were mere drops in the pond.

I always thought that Redshirt in the I Am for You, DeSoto episode deserved an instant promotion.

They've retconned it. The Miranda was a later development, but at least one was commissioned in the 2250s. Because we can't have any intermediate designs, just the same 10 hulls over and over.

Remember until the Enterprise Class/"Refit", the average Constitution was using mostly 20-30 year old parts for everything but easily replaceable things and whatever upgrades a Starbase could provide, as the class had been launched in the 2240s. By the time of Undiscovered Country in 2293, the design was almost 60 years old. Interestingly, the development of the Excelsior was in the 2270s, and the next great leap forward was the Ambassador, in the 2320s. So Starfleet just sat on their hands for 50 years for heavy cruisers.

The Constitution-class won the Four Years War for the Federation, they thought they had the biggest stick among their enemies until the Romulans showed them that they were blatantly wrong. And it's not as if the Federation ever shows any real initiative unless they're losing a war to invest in new military vessels.

True, though when your average exploration vessel can outfight a Klingon battlefleet or two, you don't see the need to churn out new frames.

>2250s
Wasn't it in the 2260s that that one was commissioned? In either case it still works as the eventual replacement though, you gotta plan these things out years in advance with a ship hull.

According to the Beta wiki, the USS Bombay was in service earlier than I thought, the 2240s, making it a concurrent development. And it uses the TOS stylings too, which are terrible on that style of ship.

>you gotta plan these things out years in advance with a ship hull.
Sure, but if it's the 2250s, the ships are only a decade old, and there may not be enough information to create their replacement. The 2260s sounds better. Though the Miranda wasn't a full replacement, merely an intermediate, so I guess it works. Smaller crew, tighter focus, and shorter deployment periods of up to 3 years.

Do we have a date on the commissioning of the Constellation-class? It always seemed like the sort of ship that'd have been put into service alongside the Excelsior to fulfill the workhorse portion of what the Constitution-class had.

Memory Alpha have the Constellation as active from 2280-2370. So alongside the Excelsior era designs.

A 60 year old space frame is in line with Starfleet's general operating procedures. In the TNG tech manual (dubious canonicity aside), it states that the Galaxy is intended to have an operating lifetime of 100 years, with five major refits at 20 year intervals, with minor refits in between as technology develops.

Yes, the Connies (and in particular, Enterprise) were at the end of their life, barely held together by space tape and Scotty's will, but Starfleet builds ships to operate for a long time.

That isn't too different from modern militaries, some of America's frontline warships are as old as fifty years, and I know there's militaries that still operate WWII ships and aircraft in a primary role within their fleet.

That raises the question, did they build a new ship for the Enterprise-A or did they just rename one of the surviving connies?

the Yorktown.

Do you have a source for that? I'm looking through memory alpha/beta and supposedly it was a newly built ship, hence the fuckheug warp core. At the very best it seems to say that the ship was originally supposed to be called the Ti-Ho, before starfleet decided to rename her for the achievements of Kirk's vessel.

Can confirm the prior user. As I recall, the TNG technical manual has a preface where it mentioned all of the prior Enterprises. Enterprise-A was originally the Yorktown, before being recommissioned for Kirk. As to whether it was newly-built or refit, I couldn't say.

Of course, there's been plenty of time for them to retcon this. But if you can find a copy of the TNG technical manual somewhere, it should confirm.

The Yorktown was one of the first Constitution classes, and was refit. Thus why they were decommissioning the ship at the end of VI.

Ah, thank you. That would explain why the poor girl was so wonky in V. The Connies never did take that well to being refit.

in IV she got hit by the whale probe as well, so she really was having a bad time of it.

Did the Enterprise even exist in IV? I thought it sorta got self destructed back in III.

The Yorktown was nearly destroyed by the Whale Probe, and was sent back for major overhaul. Then when Kirk saved Earth, they renamed it.

You are now the commander of this Frigate. It has engines that provide almost as power as Connie, 6 phaser banks and 3 torpedoes. What do.

>23rd century
I would do as commanded by Starfleet, of course, with some wiggle room for my own intuition, of course.

>modern day
I would go full despotic nut job in, at a rough estimate, less than a week.

I think I'd start by heading for a starbase to restock on torpedoes.

Excellent.

Sorry, torpedo launchers.

Put in for a transfer asap because damn, she ugly.

And the warp field is gonna be a complete cunt to deal with with the nacelles positioned like that so I doubt she'll be of much use as a ship anyway and will spend more time in space dock than on active duty. Seriously, which admiral's committee got gold-plated blowjobs to let that thing get out of the design stage?

Looks to be the same lineage as the Miranda, so probably around the same time. Due to the abundance of cargo and shuttle bays, I figure it was a fast-transport, or perhaps even a mini-carrier, for that war with the klingons that never came (stupid Praxis). In peacetime it would be useful for transporting (or evacuating) colonies and other such business.

My guess would be it's a hauler - the space where a stardrive would normally be is to link up with "shipping containers" that need to be hauled at warp and held within that wonky warp field.

The nacelles are way too close together, but appear to be variable geometry like intrepid class?

Real question is, what would one do with THIS ship.

Can't say I expected someone to make a heavily armed version of a shuttle from TAS of all things, but it might be my new favorite TOS fighter design.

hit someone with it, because it's clearly made of ugly sticks.

You aren't wrong.

It looks like it'd be used for a motion video ride, like Star Tours.

Good point!

But then so does the TOS shuttle

I can't explain how much I love that dumb little space box. Only thing that comes close in my heart is the Runabout, and it doesn't have nearly as much charm for me.

See, I'd love to have a runabout - decent phaser emitters, photon launcher - with one of those you could take over the world.

TOS runabout?

Also, the living area in the back is quaint.

Warp capable large shuttle, so basically yeah. Though going by TAS, pic related would be more TOS runabout as its fully independent.

Runabout is just super comfy in general.

languageadventurer.tumblr.com/post/139676678956/learn-the-alien-languages-of-star-trek-a

Spread the superior ideals and culture of the Federation in a equitable exchange for natural resources of prime directive flexible species

acquire a council of female "Diplomatic Liasons" from said species to 'ease' the insertion of the Federation into their lives

>Interestingly, the development of the Excelsior was in the 2270s, and the next great leap forward was the Ambassador, in the 2320s. So Starfleet just sat on their hands for 50 years for heavy cruisers.

The Constellation class was between Excelsior and Ambassador wasn't it? But it ultimately didn't really work as a design so they were phased out in favour of just upgrading the more reliable Excelsiors.

The last time we see her as the Yorktown, the Captain is reporting that life support is offline.
The uncomfortable implication is that Star Fleet found themselves with a well-trained crew without a ship, and a completely intact ship full of frozen corpses, and so decided to quickly slap a new coat of paint on and kill two birds with one stone.

Does it have four nacelles?

>Gee B'hill how come your engineer lets you have four nacelles?

>questioning the decisions of the Military Engineering and Schematics Department

Come over here soldier. Just going to ask you a few questions...

In a previous thread there were two Starfleet goons who got lost below decks on a fuck heug Romulan ship and then they went feral down there. I missed a few threads did anything entertaining come from it?

No, but it has disruptors the size of an entire Federation light cruiser.

I don't think so. I had developed a loose story following the two feral Feds, the Engineer that feeds them, the ship's inept Tal'Shiar operative and the commander who continuously plots to kill all of them. Though I never developed it any further. Perhaps someone else has made something more fleshed out.

Dock at nearest Starbase and personalize paint.

How about;

2 feral feds. One a bottom of the heap engineer and the other a security goon.

Chief Engineer, and dude personally in charge of the Black hole in a box, is a 7 foot tall Reman. He either can't tell the difference between a Human and a Romulan or just doesn't care.

2 Tal'Shiar operatives. A very efficient and quite terrifying one and another who is actually a half-Vulcan and operative for Section 31. Real Tal'Shiar knows about the fake one but the fake one is fucking useless and so long as he continues to operate and believe he is unobserved on the ship the real Tal'Shiar will always have access to his E-mail account.

The captain and 2nd in command are old veterans who are approaching the end of their careers. They just want the next few years go without incident so they can claim their pension retire to some villa on a colony world somewhere.

The commander and his 2nd in command would quite happily hand the two feds over to the scary as fuck Tal'Shiar agent because fuck that dude is scary.

The two feds don't want to go back to Starfleet because they are kings of their respective castles, at least in their minds. Yes they are only one social step above slave but holy fuck they don't know that.

Fed engineers are god tier. Even a bottom of the heap dude like Eng Fed is seen as a God-Technician. Eng Fed, and every other technician, lives in fear of the Remen Chief Engineer because Remen CE once ate a dude when stranded on a lifeless planet and rules the Engine Pit with a neutronium fist like his own personal domain.

Security duded is the Captain Carrot of romulan society simply because he isn't trying to sell anyone out.

I had a thought concerning the Engineer. Rather than have him be oblivious of the Feds, I would have him be well aware. Basically there's a lot of shit on board a Warbird that he hasn't got the time to repair and his own maintenance crews are terrible. So he leaves out some replicated Terran food near broken or damaged equipment, then leaves for an hour and when he comes back the food is gone and the entire compartment is running at 110% efficiency. So it's in his interest to hide their presence from the rest of the command staff.

I like that. It's almost like leaving out a bowl of milk for the faeries.

Also I would have it that the real Tal'Shiar agent does know that the Remen CE is replicating Terran food but is massively reluctant to confront him about it.

The Reactor Pit, it isn't referred to as an engineering room anymore, is Remen hell. Dim lighting, cold and full of Remens. The engineering teams in charge of the Black Hole box are all Remens and CE is the undisputed patriarch of the tribe. And he is HUEG, poor tempered and tough as old boots. It is known that stun settings on disruptors usually just piss him off and killing him would be unadvisable as he keeps the other Remens in line and nobody wants a lack of order around an artificial black hole.

The Tal'Shiar dude isn't suicidal. If he was to confront the CE directly he would be killed and eaten.

Not to rain on your parade, but as far as is known in movie and TV show canon, disruptors don't have stun settings. I do know there's a few in STO that do, but aside from one hand weapon from STIV (which very well could be a klingon phaser, rather than disruptor, judging from both appearance, dialogue, and whatnot), we've never seen a disruptor with a stun setting.

Romulan disruptors (according to the apocrypha) do not have stun settings.

>memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Romulan_disruptor

That being said, there's literally no reason not to have a stun setting. Good for prisoners. Good for calming down the wife. Good for interrogations.

They don't in FASA either. Some even don't have a 'kill' setting, it's either Disintegrate or Disintegrate With Extreme Prejudice.

Rewatching "Family", the post-BOBW TNG episode, something really strikes me. Most of us know that Worf is a very atypical klingon. He has an idealized idea of what "being Klingon" really is, of klingon ideals, honor, culture. He's unable to enjoy life, to live larger than life, the way most other klingons do...he's too busy being dour and stern and stoic to be able to laugh.

Worf is RUSSIAN.

And given how warm and positive his adoptive parents are, he'd clearly be as strange and difficult a son, were he human, as he was as his klingon self. Acting like he was some sort of Stalingrad or Afghanistan veteran that'd lost half his comrades, embracing that eternal winter mindset, even in the summer of the Roschenko home.

I realize sometimes just how little I recall that factor in how he came to be who he is...part of it is his lacking a Russian accent, more than anything. Honestly, if he just dropped a few articles now and then, it'd all make sense, the way he is.

>Worf is RUSSIAN.
HA! Makes perfect sense now that you remind me of that. In fact I can imagine him going full batman with it as well.

"Little Worf, come eat darlink!" "MY PARENTS WERE DISHONORABLY MUUURDEEEEEEEEEEEREEEED"

Minsk is best city on Earth.

MINSK.

>New alien embassy is to open in proud Russian city
>is bring many outsider
>Russians work tirelessly to build best embassy on all Terra.
>will bring jobs to Russian people
>is much celebration
>is Klingon embassy
>hundreds die in first week
>jobs outsourced to Andorian military
>city is now impoverished alien cesspool
>such is life in Federation Moscow

The hierarchy of Starfleet officers causes a lot of systemic problems, and I don't think any of them were written into the show on purpose; they just make sense in hindsight. For example, the fact that every single Starfleet admiral is evil, insane, or both.

The Security chief would make a good POV character. Say if it was written in the form of his personal logs, recounting all the shit he sees. Like walking in on the Section 31 plant trying and failing miserably to steal encrypted military documents, or the engineer trying out new forms of food bait to lure the Feds towards the Singularity core.

Chief Engineer I'm imagining as being very much like that orc from Skyrim who ran the mage library.

Has a Jem'Hadar hide coat and a necklace of neck bones from the time they boarded the ship and tried to detonate the singularity core.

Nobody asked what he and the Remen tribe actually did to the Jem'Hadar. All that is known is that they never had any bodies to clear away.

The 2 feds need to have really shit looking prosthetic ears. They are just some bits of cardboard glued on. They fool nobody but so long as they keep wearing them the high ups can at least pretend that they are being cunningly rused.

Technician Beevis and Security Deputy Butthead have had opportunities to escape but they have been lost due to such important distractions as "Double Dumpling Dinner Tuesday" or the petite romulan doctor lady with the nice rack who dresses in the 23c uniform with the miniskirt makes them reluctant to leave the ship.

The Feds think they're being really clever but the Engineers have basically adopted them as pets.

The engineering team to which the human is assigned are possibly the most efficient on the ship.

Technician Beevis was on the bottom rung of what is considered acceptable for a Starfleet engineer. This puts him in the "HOLY FUCKING SHIT THIS GUY IS MAGIC!" levels for most other basic engineers of other regimes. Starfleet is built by its godlike engineers and so standards are insanely high.

They do twice the work in half the time and then spend the rest of the day goofing off and drinking all of the Romulan Ale. Technician Beevis even built a whiskey still in one of the hollow walls. They export surplus whiskey to the other maintenance teams to keep their mouths shut about the whole thing. Basic unit of currency for the onboard black market is the Bottle.

>city is now impoverished alien cesspool
Good news! Nothing changed!

>hundreds die in first week
And this is what happens when hundreds of stupid Klingons think they can out drink slavs.

Someone needs to actually start writing this, it sounds hilarious.

On it. Should have something by tomorrow

Looking forward to it.

They're like Warp-capable RVs with phasers and a little torpedo bay. I just fucking love those little things.

Regional variations on Earth have definitely blurred to the point of being meaningless under the Federation. Universal translators mean that you don't need to learn any language at all, and the Enterprise's own communications officer can't even speak Klingon. Transport is somewhere between lightning-fast and instantaneous, and all of it's free. Notice how Harry Kim can just casually fly from California to France in a few minutes while he's supposed to be on probation. You could manage a 10,000 mile commute to work every day, and I'm sure a lot of people do. The post-scarcity economy also means that people are no longer bound to particular jobs or pieces of real property. Being Russian in itself doesn't mean anything anymore unless you force it to. That's why Chekhov overcompensates with his constant "HAVE I MENTIONED I AM ROOSSIAN TODAY" shit.

>Andorian military sends their malcontents to Russian City.
>They all come back stoic and utterly unflappable, thanks to what they saw in the Russian city.

I do like those fighty little Mirandas Though i used to think they packed a lot more firepower into their tiny frames thanks to the rollbar, it seems I was mistaken and they're still just over half as shooty as a Constitution.

Is there a release date on the STO physical ship models?

Also, will it be a limited time thing or something that will be available for awhile?

Well i think they are going to be available for as long as both the company that makes those models and STO are around.
Since Cryptic and Paramount just made a deal with a third party model makers that they could make their game compatible for their sculpting services which they provide to other games too.