/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Previous Edition:

Other urls found in this thread:

redkatart.com/treasure5e/treasureGen.php
youtube.com/watch?v=asPwTthfJFk&index=1&list=PLV_qemO0oatgObLdo4SNEtC8PUQMblhQs
youtube.com/watch?v=ZhzZ4FtOpEk&list=PLdSUTU0oamrx82PEvoOxStPXwCAR3cG2J
youtube.com/watch?v=DD4VCSyUMr8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

DMs, how do you deal with having players who also DM, or players who read the monster manual?

Also, what is the best way to buff a gelatinous cube to be a worthy opponent for a party of four level 7 adventurers?

You can always just change some statistics of monsters, give them new abilities, change their old ones or give them different weapons to switch things up.

> "I'm going to light my arrows on fire to keep the troll from regenerating!"
> "How does your character know that's how to kill them? Make an Arcana check to see if you know how fire interacts with their regeneration."

And gelatinous cubes aren't a worthy opponent. By that level you have to add levels of complexity to the encounter in order to make it interesting -- give the monsters special actions or reactions, or ways to buff themselves in a way that keeps the adventurers from just steamrolling them. You can give the cube extra hit dice and attacks, but it just lengthens encounters -- it doesn't make them any more fun.

I gave a CR 14 unique solo villain the ability to leap as actions and reactions, and get special bonuses on attacks if she moved between attacks. She also had stacked single-target invisibility and special immunities, so you had to hit her with specific attacks in order to see her.

My players had an awesome time fighting that one, and had to think fast to avoid getting TPK'd.

Buff creatures, and give them things that they don't have in the monster manual. As someone who has read through the monster manual it's actually nerve wracking when I have no idea how powerful the thing in front of me really is. It takes some time but it's greatly appreciated and I would consider you a better DM.

Also make it gargantuan give it a ton of health and have it attacking a city. Give it multi attack and make it sentient. Cause it's the Prime Cube.

Since I do most monster stats on the fly (by either pulling up an appropriate CR creature, and adjusting them for the encounter), could I essentially take any old adventure module and run it as is, but make adjustments to monsters / treasure as I see fit for my game?

Is there any more depth to "conversions" than just the numbers of monsters, money, and magic items?

The adventure in question I'm wanting to run is either Isle of Dread, Great Modron March, or Red Hand of Doom.

redkatart.com/treasure5e/treasureGen.php

This is both a treasure generator and a spellbook generator. Pretty handy.

If you usually DM on the fly, you can DM an old published adventure like that as well, I don't see why you couldn't do that.

Well, one can always alter the stats some, change the equipment the monsters use, add different effects, etc. But honestly I'm fine with my players reading the MM as long as it's closed at the table.

As for the gelatinous cube, make it part of a trap. PC's fail to stop the trap, they fall into a room. They can climb out but there are several cubes trying to eat them too. Go from there.

Quick! Post your characters for Storm King's Thunder and whether your DM is starting you off at level 1 or 5!

NG Human (Mulhorandi) Far Traveler Champion Fighter who got time warped from the era of 2E Forgotten Realms and is now ready to take up the fight again since the Giants are resurgent once more!

I already finished A Great Upheaval, with a War Cleric, but will be changing him into a Sorc/Bard for the rest of the adventure.

LE Half-Elf Charlatan Dragon Sorc/Lore Bard who wants to make some money to get some nice furniture for his crappy house in Waterdeep

Why don't more adventurers do this, I adore playing the guy just looking to make easy cash to buy a fancy house or an engagement ring for his girlfriend.

And then he accidentally gets cold iron for his wood-wife.

Recommend me a video where I can see a session of people playing D&D. I want to see how it flows more or less.

not a player but I'm starting off my players with Phandelver

Critical Role?

Our old Paladin once asked if the banshee had an elf face. DM straight up told him no and he looked so CRUSHED, as if the Monster Manual was gospel.
That guy was a nice enough dude, but he could be awful at times. And that's not even talking about when he re-rolled his dice.

Check out the Robot Chicken Chris Perkins video on youtube. If you plan to DM, there's also Chris Perkins' DM commentary, it's pretty fucking neat to get started.

New Acquisitions Inc.
Critical Role
Drunks and Dragons

Ok, thanks. I'll check them out.

How do you guys think I should go about playing a Battlemaster/Ranger multiclass? Should I just play another build for a ranged martial or something? I like how versatile the maneuvers and spells can be

I don't know everything about 5e, but if it's one tip I feel comfortable giving, that'd be "don't play a Ranger"

Letting you know that I'm interested in seeing more of this and really hope you continue the work.

If you're playing at a higher level, you might prefer bard to ranger, for the better choice of spells and more slots
This is wrong. The Hunter isn't fantastic, but /5eg/ hating rangers is a meme. The Beastmaster sucks, but you want Horde Breaker or Colossus Slayer anyway

Any advice for a new DM?

Currently running Tyranny of Dragons and a number of the party are acting like prima donnas.

Here is a selection of what has happened so far:

>When I explained I had this new quest book called Tryanny of Dragons two of the players rolled Dragonborn in an attempt to maximize advantages.
>One player rolls 20 on a medicine check and demands "something cool should happen. Something great always happens on a 20". Got pissed when I said it made no difference.
>The party sorcerer wants me to allow him to create a spell that can do any damage type of his choosing as he casts it e.g. Fireball but can also be iceball etc Basically Swiss army knife the spell.
>No matter the odds or CR of a fight a number of the party think they should always have a good chance of winning and will fight to the last man when pushed.

I'm not looking forward to chapter two currently as it's the bandits camp and I fear they are going to try to hack their way through hundreds of enemies at level 2.

Thoughts one this?

One of my players has a !Blackrazor (9th level barbarian). Instead of it being sentient, the Demogorgon is using it it to try and corrupt him, and play a part in using the sword to summon the Demogorgon onto the material plane. Last session, the player got KO'd multiple times, and straight up refused to do what the sword is asking.

My questions are: Is it too harsh moving forward that the sword gets depowered to +1, and on a kill I make the player roll a d20 where 20 gives him the THP boost, 1 summons a hostile Shadow with HP equal to whatever they just downed?

The Demogorgon is basically going to "geas" the barbarian into finding and destroying the Wand of Orcus, and destroying physical seals / temples that will then summon the Demo. What's the best way to go about this?

That's a pretty shitty tip since Rangers aren't awful to the point of unplayability. Especially if your character has other gimmicks.

One of the biggest problem of Rangers is that the DM has to make efforts to make your two first features somewhat relevant.
Hunter's Mark is another issue.
Beastmaster is another issue.

Can you explain your character concept in other words than Battlemaster/Ranger multiclass? What are you trying to accomplish here?

Temple of the Lava Bears

youtube.com/watch?v=asPwTthfJFk&index=1&list=PLV_qemO0oatgObLdo4SNEtC8PUQMblhQs

It really just depends on what you want out of it. I feel like the first 9 levels of fighter really wouldn't give you enough complimentary stuff if you're leveling in ranger at the same time. In theory you could just take the feat to get some expertise dice, but only one per short rest might not really cut it.

I guess I should have probably asked first, but how much do you plan to level them both up?

Seems interesting, but wouldn't that just be the magic-less ranger from unearthed arcana? Or am I thinking of something else?

>1
Ehhh, sounds like boring people.
> 2
Describe it in an over the top way. Mechanically though, nothing changes.
>3
Sure thing, but the damage is reduced, greatly compared to same spells of that level.
>4
Kill em.

First one is so simplistically minmaxing. As if the PCs were going to be the tyrants or something?
>20 should be cool
This reminds me of those "i rolled a 20 on something and IT WAS AWESOME" stories from tumblr or facebook or something, with the really terrible DMs just enabling the players
In 3.5 there was a feat to change elements, but only to one element right?
Have you considered telling them, OOC: "If you try to fight, you will die. No rolls, you will die to this fuck-ass hundreds-strong horde of enemies" or something?

to be fair, chromatic orb exists.

So why pick a Ranger instead of, like the other user said, a Bard, or a Sorc, or even a Druid for the nature vibe and spells? That's my main issue with the Ranger that it is outclassed (pun not intended) in most of what you wanna do.
I've never played one, but the Ranger in our party never sees to DO anything, and the sentiment seems common among other reports too.

Kill them, leave none standing.

The spell thing isn't an issue, just make it count as another spell known so he has to rethink if he wants to replace another spell he could take.

Yes, and Chromatic Orb requires a 50gp gem to cast
Give the player the Chromaball, but make it require a 500+gp gem to cast. The gem is unpractically large, and obviously will draw any thief's attention

LG Half-Elf Folk Hero Paladin of the Crown, Protection style. More or less a mercenary who goes where his shield is needed, accepts payment only from those who can afford it, and keeps the rest of the party's murderhobo instincts at least a little in check.

Basically I wanted to take the first level of fighter to get con saves and the multiclass in ranger gives the bonus skill anyway.

I would go for something along the lines of Fighter 1/Ranger 5/Fighter 3 and then the rest I don't know yet. What I'm looking for is a mix of control and multi target damage with things like Lightning arrow + Volley while using Trip attack and menacing attack to keep the ennemies in tough situations. Also spike growth and other spells to tage multiple ennemy and slow them down

The spell less ranger doesnt have one of the thing I want, which is the spells unfortunately.

>and Chromatic Orb requires a 50gp gem to cast
>Money is practically useless after 3rd level in 5e

Make up your mind.

>The party sorcerer wants me to allow him to create a spell that can do any damage type of his choosing as he casts it e.g. Fireball but can also be iceball etc Basically Swiss army knife the spell.
You mean chromatic orb? I'd be kind of worried that he argues for that shit instead of reading the book first

>Have you considered telling them, OOC: "If you try to fight, you will die."

It doesn't seem to make a difference. For example in the dual at the end of chapter one I explained they had a knife to hostage's throat and she would die if they tried to dogpile instead of duel. Also there were hundreds of enemies outside the gate (all explained in the quest book).

The ranger responded by aiming an arrow at the kobold with the knife from the keep. I explained that he'd still able to slit her throat and even if he couldn't at least 4 other Kobolds were near by.

His response was I put 4 arrows in my bow. I then explained that that isn't how bows work in reality or in DnD for a level 1 ranger.

I explained no matter what they do the women would die if they didn't do the dual as set out. This is clearly stated in the book and the point is to create tension and demonstrate not everything is winnable.

This caused a massive argument.

Just kill them desu, they need to learn the hard way

Look, it's not the same giving the player a single target spell which can deal any damage type you want, and giving the player arguably the best AoE in the game, which stays good throughout all the game, and then have it deal any damage they want

Should we give the whiney bitch a spell which always deals any damage type the target is weak to too?

He wonts a spell like fireball but before he casts it he picks what damage type it is before it is cast on the fly.

So if he is fighting something with fire immunity he'd turn his fireball into an iceball or a lightingball as he casts it.

Speaking of terrible players, what was the biggest dick move another player has ever done to yours?

Just go 3 levels of fighter if you're gonna multiclass with ranger desu. You only really need the first tier of archtypes according to your description.

The trickster ratted us out to some baddies who were looking to off us because we stole a lot of the food they were smuggling
he did it for 10g and a new bedroll

Chromatic Orb doesn't consume the gem. You only ever need the 1.

Wouldn't that slow down the extra attack progression too much to go fighter 3 and then Ranger 5 ?

Action surge is good but isn't that amazing until you get two attacks.

They didn't show up to the next session.

The party rogue kicked me off a ladder to create a distraction so the rest of the party would get away, the next session was spent rescuing me from the fortress of doom

well you could go fighter, ranger 5, fighter 2 but it would take a while for you to get the combat maneuvres. But whatever floats your boat, just saying that you only need 3 levels of fighter, the remaining 17 could be full ranger or something.

Sounds like a pansy. He should just roll into town and demand tribute lest his gods punish them.

>guy plays as anime based tiefling
>decide to set the tone by having townsfolk be really fucking rascist causing tiefling to make a threat
>gets on a boat
>gets told to keep morale up with a bunch of underpaid rowers
>i constantly throw shit at him to do, like checking cargo, dealing with dudes
>he's fucked up like 7 times and says anything he does is wrong
No you can't roll perception 4 times in a row you fucking faggot

So, if I read this right, if you're only using 1pp, Conjure Celestial can only get you a Coatl, but if you cast it at 9th level, you get...a unicorn. Does anyone else think this is a bit underwhelming?

"You shoot the arrows. As soon as the sounds are heard, the kobolds dogpile the woman, even though you hit the original knife holder. A pool of blood spreads around them, obviously having cut an artery."

Last session we played, the murderhobo Barbarian killed two hapless sailors who'd escaped from the kuo-toa, to see what was in the chest they'd salvaged.
100gp.
The chest was discovered after I (Druid) helped their buddy stand up and vomit cause of his food poisoning.

Yeah I think so as well. Full build would be

Human variant: Sharpshooter feat.

Fighter 1 for con saves Archery fighting style
Ranger 5 Hunter, with either Colossus or Horde slayer. Spells :Hunter's mark, Hail of thorns spike growth and PwT. Grab +2 dex or a feat with ASI
Fighter 3 Battlemaster with Trip attack, Precisions attack and menacing attack

They never sought to rescue my character.

It's fine though, they became

>I explained no matter what they do the women would die if they didn't do the dual as set out.

Stop railroading them.

Describe the situation they are in, ask what they want to do and let them try and fail at it.

>A pool of blood spreads around them, obviously having cut an artery

In hindsight that's what I should have done and will try to do in the future. It's difficult being a novice DM when you have a contrary party.

Our DM has made it clear to us that some things just HAPPEN. If a character picks a fight with an army, it's not cutting player agency to say "ok you get arrested/killed, roll a d12 to see how many you wound" or something, it's just shortcutting.
Hell you can even throw an "are you sure?" in. "Are you sure you wanna nock 4 more arrows? You are? Alright."

What do you play when you get bored of 5e? i know i will comeback but i need something to clear my mind

I'm trying to get a Star Wars RPG campaign off the ground. And we're restarting the 5e campaign cause shit was getting sloggy.

I've been playing Trail of Cthulhu, seems pretty fun so far

I think you're just talking/explaining too much and that's perceived as weakness.

Your players are difficult, that's for sure. Treat them like responsible adults. Either they'll start respecting you and understanding the game, or they won't and they'll want to stop.

That's a win-win. Sessions with them, as it is, seem tedious at best.

If you can take it, get close quarters shooter Fighting Style with one class, and Archery with the other. Close quarters shooter lets you ignore all but full cover within 30ft of you, removes the disadvantage on ranged attack rolls while adjacent to an enemy, and gives an additional +1 to hit bonus.
It's in the Underdark UA

Personally? Changeling: The Dreaming

What's a good campaign? We're nearing the end of curse of strahd and want something new to play

ERPs

Barring those? Usually OSR games.

i like OSR, but i am looking for something more like epic/heroic fantasy

Can anyone sell me something on Mystara setting and should I play them old-ass settings in 5e?

Any answer shall be much appreciated

well, there's SKT, obviously
My group and me regularly go back to 3.5
Try it, you'll want to play 5e again soon enough

Thanks for the tip I'll def go with that

>Sorcerer
Either make him take chromatic orb, or homebrew a metamagic ability that changes the element (within reason) or a different type of damage for 1 spell point.

Mystara is one of the greatest settings ever. Grab the gazetteers and have a look.

Long story short: Setting is Earth in the far distant past with humans and all sorts of shenanigans. Blackmoor, Arneson's old campaign setting, is even older and is a sorta mythic past from which the setting springs from. While it may seem like a generic setting at first it has some of the coolest shit in it (flying gnome city with biplanes, magical radiation that is draining the world of it's magic, elves living underground but are not drow but properly pale ass motherfuckers, the original NPC players wanted nothing more to do than slaughter Bargle the Mage, and no gods but immortals who most of whom are badass adventurers who ascended).

Check out Pandius for more details and their "Newbies Guide" pdf for more.

Any fellow DM's use a lot of music? Do you switch between certain playlists or just keep continuous background songs playing? I usually find myself fumbling trying to switch to combat music through my media player etc.

Apart from the others suggestions like buffing stats, try to add something unexpected like the Gelatinous Cube having a Legendary Action or some feature that was featured from another monster.

That'll show em.

I like Empire of the Ghouls myself but converting it takes a lot of work

I was going to say that. But chromatic orb also requires a diamond worth at least 50 gp, which is expended, every time you cast it. So that flexibility comes at a steep cost.

That's a good picture for that character.

I have nothing against 5e really, but i dont think i will come back soon to it

Question: Is Deflect Missiles with the monk a reaction action? I find the wording a bit fuzzy...

re-read the spell/rules there, m8

To be honest, the best type to set up music is right when you throw your PC's into a harmless puzzle/"ok decide what order you're marching in"
Just set up like 2-5 different songs.

Now that I've said that, what's /5eg/'s favorite "non-bossfight"/random encounter music?
I like to use "Conflict's Chime" from Bravely Default. It's heroic, intense, but not dire!

, What a bunch of fucking idiots.
Your ENTIRE TABLE is That Guy.
You certainly have bad luck user.

Starting at 3rd level, you can use your reaction blah blah blah

Where do you get your ERP fix, senpai?

If you don't mind my asking, why are you bored of it?

Barring that, try something completely different, shake shit up. Variety is the spice of life and stuff.

Yes. It quite clearly states that you can you your reaction to catch or deflect a missile when you are hit by a ranged weapon attack.
Catching it is just a reaction, throwing it back costs ki

>Starting at 3rd leveI, you can use your reaction to deflect or catch the missile when you are hit by a ranged weapon attack. When you do so, the damage you take from the attack is reduced by IdlO + your Dexterity modifier +your monk leveI.

I don't really see how you could possible find it fuzzy when it's the first line of the description

i really enjoy 5e, but fuck does it attract some stupid fucking people.

I frequent F-list. I tend to play elf lolis in fairly vanilla sort of scenes though. Still, check it out. It has "groups" which are like subforums and Veeky Forums has one or more. If you prefer a chatroom, you can use F-Chat and then click on the "channels" option and scan the public and private channels for ones that pique your interest.

I'm not that user, but I get some regular ERP on f-list, met a few good partners, it's pretty fun.

To me it reads like "you react" which you do pretty much all the time, not "using your reaction action". But it's already answered...

I was just assuming it was some lazy fucker who didn't want to check the book himself

Do we have a hive mind now?

>You can use your reaction
how the fuck does that read as you react?

I mostly hang out in F-Chat, not even the tg room, so probably not. Also I wouldn't play an elf, I have standards.
Still, f-list, that's good

>F-List

What's your profile? I've got an itch to work on my text-based roleplay.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZhzZ4FtOpEk&list=PLdSUTU0oamrx82PEvoOxStPXwCAR3cG2J

I usually play them on my phone which is bluetooth connected to a bluetooth speaker. Works well and I rename the tracks to the appropriate moment like "Inn" or "Battle" or "Travelling - Day" or "Travelling Night", etc.

The World of Warcraft Ambient playlist on Youtube is my go-to. I haven't played WoW in years but the music is perfect for just about any moment I need to set the mood. I mean, just before the session, the table was rather noisy and some were getting restless. Expected since it was a bunch of people new to DnD but the moment I booted up Grizzly Hills theme and opened up my introduction to Lost Mines, everyone just quieted down and got drawn in as we went into Goblin Arrows part. Felt pretty great.

That said, I use some other music but I try to shy away from very well known music pieces like Final Fantasy since my table had a lot of JRPG and CRPG fans. They were the kind that would go "Oh hey, that's from [game/movie/show]!" if it played and I wanted to set the mood right. WoW isn't popular amongst these folk so the WoW soundtrack was perfect. I also found good tidings from using Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright's soundtrack which had a lot of medieval-esque music. There was some success with some anime tunes like a score piece from My Hero Academia soundtrack.

Courtroom Magic from Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright is oddly a good piece for combat.

youtube.com/watch?v=DD4VCSyUMr8

In fact, a lot of the game's soundtrack is great for DnD.