MTG LEGACY GENERAL - New Flowchart Inbound Edition

Ask us about the world's worst meme deck that destroys people before they know what's happening.

>Playing?
>Sideboard?
>Silver bullets for the local meta? What does your meta look like?
>Your turn 1 play is Cabal Therapy. You're going in blind against an unknown opponent. What do you name and why?

RESOURCES
>Active Legacy Forums
mtgthesource.com/forums/forum.php
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/legacy-type-1-5

>Current Legacy Metagame
mtgtop8.com/format?f=LE
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/legacy

>Find/Browse basic lands by their art (Updated through Duel Decks: Jace vs Chandra)
sites.google.com/site/mtgbasics/

READINGS
>Top 5 Breakdown (May 26, 2016)
channelfireball.com/articles/the-top-5-legacy-decks/

>Miracles: The Match-Up Everyone Should Know
channelfireball.com/articles/how-to-defeat-miracles/

>Utilizing Cabal Therapy (Old but still good)
channelfireball.com/home/legacy-weapon-therapy-session/

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sins-of-lands/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Common Legacy - Decks You Should Prepare to Face
>Miracles
>Delver variants (Grixis, Izzet, BUG, RUG)
>ANT (Ad Nauseam Tendrils)
>Death and Taxes
>Eldrazi Stompy
>Shardless BUG
>Lands

Uncommon Legacy - Decks You Should Know About
>LED Dredge
>Reanimator
>Infect
>Stoneblade
>Burn
>TES (The Epic Storm)
>Elves
>Painter
>Maverick
>4-Color Loam
>Nic Fit
>Sneak n Show

Rare Legacy - Decks You May See On Occasion
>Enchantress
>MUD
>Goblins
>Merfolk
>High Tide
>Aluren
>Food Chain
>12 Post
>Belcher
>Pox Control
>Dragon Stompy
>Tezzerator
>Sneak n Breach
>Stax (White or Black)

Mythic Legacy - Decks You'll See Once a Year
>Doomsday Fetchland Tendrils (DDFT)
>Cheerios
>Nourshing Lich
>Sea Stompy
>Spanish Inquisition
>Parfait
>The Cure (Kavu Predator + False Cure)

how come when i click "buy now" i get to a page where the price is $17.99?

Hmm... I dunno, it's the advertised price when I press on it, a possible cause might be we live in different countries and the store that sells it for cheap doesn't ship to yours? I dunno man, I'm just guessing here.

>nourishing lich

like ... nourishing shoal and lich? for what purpose? how does this deck win?

>>Playing?
Storm, currently grinding station but soon switching to hybrid
>>Sideboard?
Hate for hate, I want to win, why dilute?
>>Silver bullets for the local meta? What does your meta look like?
No bullets, meta is ~15% GWx creature decks, ~15% Chalice decks, 20% combo and 50% other blue
>>Your turn 1 play is Cabal Therapy. You're going in blind against an unknown opponent. What do you name and why?
Brainstorm, hits ~30% and gives info

Also, how are you supposed to pilot storm vs SnS? Anyone have a good answer or article/forum post to analyse?

>no Omni tell

Also, who's favored in the RUG Delver vs Esper Stoneblade matchup?

It's a Storm variant, you win with Grapeshot. So you Nourishing Shoal an Autochthon Wurm with Lich or Nefarious Lich on the field and rack up the Storm count from there. Here's a sample list.

hm yeah makes sense. cheapest for me is double what is is for you. and there's the shipping on top of that ;D

I played two tops for a bit, didn't really feel it with them... I'll try them again next time :)

It's not really TES ~~
Playing Cabal ritual over Mox and two 4-cost spells... But thank you! I'm trying my best to make it look pleasing!
I found my last German foil wish in Prague though, should probably assemble it in all its glory again

IMO Blackmail is leagues better if you have to turn it at their face. It doesn't have the grindy element of Retrace, but this is Dark Ritual/Lotus Petal Reanimator we're talking about. He's running 16 lands and if he's retracing Raven's Crime he's probably lost.

>that nonfoil Ponder
FIX IT OR I'LL SEE YOU IN COURT

> not playing Vintage like a real man

I was under the impression that TES was simply any storm deck playing Burning Wish.

Please... my wallet is already on fire...

>Not playing Unrestricted Vintage
Step it up

>play Vintage
>get to play in all of two big tournaments a year

>there will never be a Vintage general

sad

It's cute and bad.

TES specifically runs red fast mana to compliment it's rituals and has a greater focus on Empty the Warrens for the kill. DDFT also runs a Burning wish but usually wins through resolving Doomsday. Very different modes of action but happen to share a common trait. Not nearly enough similarity to lump together.

It's fixed as of this week, took forever for a German foil to show up on MKM...

>
>I was under the impression that TES was simply any storm deck playing Burning Wish.
TES is cook's deck, you can have small variations but 90% ought to be the same. While on the subject you could also look at TNT, a variation playing wish but still so different that it can't be classed as TES. Good thought though!

Those Doomsday builds look extremely over complicated. I do love me some storm though.

I think that's a really close 50/50 match. It's been a long time since I've seen or played the Matchup. I'm guessing it depends on the Stoneblade build though

Delver has access to Goyf and probably Bloodbraid Elf, Stoneblade has access to Batterskull and Swords. They both have access to FoW. I'd say it would boil down to whose threat sticks first.

Stoneblade tends to run the same Countertop package as Miracles, so I'd say it's just a question of whether Delver can ram home 20 damage before something nasty happens.

>blood braid elf in rug delver
I cast my dope elf and cascade into... daze!

This. It's a coinflip in the sense that RUG's win percentage for being on the play or not is huge, taking it from probably 60% to 40% because of how good Daze is in the matchup.

Also being able to stick Delver followed by Waste-int their first land drop is insane.

>Stoneblade
>Countertop
Nigga what

The doomsday build's aren't really that complicated. They trade some speed for resilonce and flexibility.
As the resident Nourishing Lich expert, I can tell you the deck is bad. the cards to build it in paper are in the mail

MY FUKING PHONE PUTTING FUCKING APOSTROPHES WHERE THEY DON'T GODDAMN BELONG REEEEEEEEE

also that's supposed to be "resilience"

>he actually built it in paper
Wow you're such a hero__

brb ordering sum stuff...

Also how would you recommend starting out with doosmday? Stormboards or some other place? I'm interested in how the deck functions, currently I just don't have the doomsdays...

The storm boards are OK for starters. The mtgsalvation primer actually has a decent list of basic piles. What you should do is learn like 4 or 5 basic piles and really understand them, and then try to play some games. At first you'll just be trying to work the game into a position where you can go off with a basic pile, but then you'll start to see how you can modify those piles to suit different situations, and then you'll start seeing the weird piles. Also I'm happy to help answer questions but I'm certainly not the final authority on the deck.

>Play Pox vs Candian Threshold
>Haunting Echoes
>Rip out all their Tarmagoyfs, Delvers, Nimble Mongooses, Brainstorms, Scalding Tarns, and Tropical Islands.

Is it terrible that I'm genuinely considering just main boarding Haunting Echoes? It's just a complete back-breaker for most decks and with Dark Rituals and a heavy land count, I haven't had a problem getting to 5 mana.

No, my man. That's bad.

>Merfolk
So it's not called Fish anymore?

Fish was a separate deck with Serendib Efreet and Mulldrifter, and later Illusory Angel. It's not good anymore.

>no one streams fucking legacy

fuck every single one of you

I'd add tin fins to the rare or mythical slot. Despite it being my go-to deck.

>stream myself gold fishing paper in my underwear

No Tin Fins?

What is this Veeky Forums obsession? That deck is bad.

No it's not?

It used to be worst I'll grant you that, but in the wake of printing monastery mentor the sideboard has become a lot more flexible. If the opponent over compensates for the combo post game one then they risk getting swarmed to death by a deck that is mostly spells that trigger mentor.

>nourishing lich & cheerios on the list
>deck with highest turn 1 win percentage which actually has respectable placings isn't
There are plenty of worse decks on that list.
Would anyone actually be interested in me streaming this against randoms in cockatrice? tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sins-of-lands/
I could also play zombardment or ANT. I honestly don't think I'm very good at the game (I'm not terrible, but eh) so factor that in.

I could stream myself playing on XMage but I'll mostly be playing Parfait

I would watch but I just got home and still have a lot of masturbating to do.

Do you guys think this has potential in Legacy? It is one of my favorite cards and i'm so sad it just never seemed to see play outside of Innistrad, any idea what makes it so bad?

I'd be interested in that. I spend all my free time watching legacy content instead of television so I might be in the minority.

it's bad because it costs infinity mana and has no immediate impact on the board. that said, if your deck is running sol lands and chalice of the void, you can sometimes win with literally whatever creature you want. now that I've said that, I'd like to see fugitive wizard stompy.

>any idea what makes it so bad?
costs 5 and is undercosted for the stats, no resilience, dies to dismemeber, requires waiting an entire turn to do something and has 0 resilience
not to mention DRS can totally fuck over it's ability so even if it survives a turn and can just have a null impact
it's competing with stuff like reality smasher and it's going to lose every time

Theoretically you could probably play it in Nic Fit, but the biggest issue is there are just so many more powerful midrange creatures you could run in that slot.

It's not going to be tonight in any case, honestly I might not ever do it, but the soonest it will be is tomorrow.

Hell yeah man. We can even supplement our threat count with Wandering Ones.

>UR Chalice with Wandering Ones and Ogre Resisters
>100% winrate against Vorthos players

>100% win rate against vorthos players
GOOD.

Posting original flowchart for folks. If you're interested in Legacy, this could help you find a deck that's right for you.

>do you want to disguise your hatred by playing a good deck?

Every time I do it I end up at the same spot

The new one read: second draft is finished. It needs some colors and then I'll splice it together and post it.

>No, I want them to know I hate them
The line that sold me on Stax

>How do you want to mess with your opponent?
>Winning with bad cards
>How bad?
>my wincon is a 4/3 with a downside
>How much of a baller are you?
>I play demons from Avacyn Restored
>you are balling out of control

FUCK i just played my 4th league match with Nourishing Lich and I got FUCCKKED. played vs 4c loam. Game 1 I did the nourishing lich thing and drew 15 cards on turn 2, but couldn't find a nourishing shoal. I zuran orbed away my 2 lands, brainstormed, shuffled with a summoner's pact, blew a lotus petal to ponder, chrome moxed another ponder to get blue to cast a 3rd ponder, and still couldn't find a damn shoal so I scooped. And then I punted game 2 magnificently by forgetting to side in abrupt decays. so now i'm 2-2.

What does the lich nourish? How do you win after drawing all the cards with his powers?

It's a Storm deck. You win through Storm count up to Grapeshot lethal range. You could also win through Brain Freeze but I don't think anyone here has tested it thoroughly, and it also is bad against Emrakul decks.

i dont get the demons avacyn joke...

>PLAYAN
waterfalls
one trick pony
R/B goblins

>SIDEBORDAN
I'll do it when I can afford it. Also I have no meta so it doesn't really matter.

>FIRAN
Did I mention I have no meta?

>NAMAN
Chalice lol

>also

>this year of our lord
>not having/wanting a husbando that you can play magic with, cuddle with and hold hands with

Damn, sorry dude. Decks bricking out happens to the best of us. For what it's worth I still think you're cool.

I don't envy your task, the 1.0 version is that perfect blend of informative, funny, and the decision tree is organized remarkably well to avoid sprawling out all over the place..

By contrast, here's the Modern one. Just doesn't have the same kind of presentation.

to add insult to injury I decided to play a match with DDFT in the tournament practice room and I had to play against dragon stompy and I was going to win, just had to Wish for meltdown to get rid of some chalices, and accidentally meltdown'd my SDT too, throwing the game. Guess it's just not my night haha.

>Playing?
infect, turbo depths
>Silver bullets for the local meta? What does your meta look like?
trying tower of the magistrate. will report of it comes up. too much dnt and more enchantress than you'd expect. also lots of miracles bc muh best deck.
>Your turn 1 play is Cabal Therapy. You're going in blind against an unknown opponent. What do you name and why?
brainstorm bc it's the most played card and a good one to hit. I'm saying I'm not doing anything fair so it'll prevent them from digging for answers.
bonus answer: "whatever I saw with gitaxian probe :^)"

>cast free artifacts
>cast grapeshot twice

Which one of you namefags was the one with the burn deck? I need a list.

AVR was basically "FUCK THE COLOR BLACK: the set"

I suppose technically AVR did bring us a good demon with Griselbrand, but as a whole the set was bad times for the color Black.

This is my mainboard.

4 Goblin Guide
4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
2 Grim Lavamancer

2 Sulfuric Vortex

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Lava Spike
4 Rift Bolt
4 Fireblast
4 Price of Progress
4 Chain Lightning

9 Mountain
4 Bloodstained Mire
4 Wooded Foothills
2 Scalding Tarn
1 Barbarian Ring

This is my sideboard, a little meta geared.
4 Searing Blaze
1 Vexing Shusher
3 Smash to Smithereens
1 Mindbreak Trap
3 Exquisite Firecraft
1 Plateau
2 Rest in Peace

>Your turn 1 play is Cabal Therapy. You're going in blind against an unknown opponent.
Why would you Cabal Therapy blind?

Gotta keep up that tempo
Brainstorm is 50+% of the metagame
Even if you wiff you get information and can flashback for value

Because you feel lucky today.

>Decade Format
>Any version of any card that has been printed in any form during the past 10 years is legal
>Banlist is everything that is currently banned or restricted in Vintage.

Would you play this?

I'd play any 60 cars format that's not standard. I'm pretty sure this format ends up being pretty close to legacy but with ravings shocks instead of duals, in which case burn is tier 0 bc price of progress
i don't actually know what's been printed in the last 10 years

No

Because you're in a real format and playing Grixis Pyromancer.

What color are there sleeves? How do they look? Strike up conversation about how they're doing. Use some of those non-existant social skills of yours to try and figure it out.

Then name Force of Will.

The only thing that you need to know is that Infect was printed in the last 10 years.

It would start at the time spiral block, and exclude mirrodin and kamigawa, along with original ravnica, and 8th and 9th edition
i'd play it if it replaced modern i guess

Nice try, Satan.

Given Vintage's banned and restricted list, what meta comes out of just the Alpha set? I'm really curious what can be done with the cards

>play Dredge
>got that t2 careful study into breakthrough hand
>Cabal Therapy them for FoW
>they're playing Burn

wait why can't bazaar of baghdad be reprinted? it was originally uncommon

Thank you

Shivan Dragons my nigga.
It's broken and old fat people collect them.

Probably UW Control vs Mono Black vs some Bxx pile

The reserved list wasn't originally only rares. Antiquities doesn't even have rares.

Reserved list lol

this is a nice chart
and I will be making a "Duskmantle Mindcrank" deck

>play Legacy and Dredge for the first time
>don't know what the fuck I'm doing
>keep a shitty hand
>"U-Uh, Cabal Therapy on FoW?"
>reveals hand
>it's a Lands deck
I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TO DO, THE MARIT LAGE TOKEN WAS TOO SCARY

I play 8rack in modern.

Surely that deserves some sort of presence on that decision tree. Even if it's just some joke entry like "I hate when people flick their cards"

:(

>THE MARIT LAGE TOKEN WAS TOO SCARY
OOGA BOOGA

Anybody knows if there are 3 colors list with blood moon in them ? I know it defies logic, but I'm curious. Thanks.

UWr Miracles
the best version of Miracles