Here's a scenario:

Here's a scenario:

You have two armies.

One is a fantasy army, mishmash of all kinds of fantastic creatures. You have knights with blessed weapons and armour, wizards creating meteor showers and scrying enemy position, necromancers raising legions of undead, hordes of orcs and trolls, elves with ents and dryads and other foresty shit, etc. you get the point (I hope).

The other is a WW1 army with aviation from WW2 and early versions of tanks.

Both armies are more or less of equal size, at about 1 million men, with some maybe up to 10% advantage for WW1 to offset size advantage of some fantasy units.

How do you think these two armies would fight each other? If you were a general, how would you engage the other army, what terrain would you find favorable, would you try hit-and-run tactics or force a pitched battle, or maybe go for trench warfare?

Other urls found in this thread:

waziristanonafancy.blogspot.com/2013/09/the-british-renault-ft17.html
d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/vehicles/land-vehicles/tank
youtube.com/watch?v=NzYtOFOXS6g
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

At this point, since you've got so many variables of equipment, methods, abilities, etc. on both sides, you as a narrator may just as well abstract and fiat to any kind of scenario you think would be the most cool for your players.

No thats boring. there is no interresting setting attached to it.

There is no story attached to it, you just throw two generics at it.

How about you got a fantasy setting thats actualy interresting.
And how about you explore what faction of world war 2 helps what faction the fantasy world, how it coems to that war and how that develops.

Why would orcs fight alongside your blessed knights?

Your thread is shit but maybe people can learn from it how to not make shitty threads.

I always hate these retarded X clashes with Y threads.
This idea could be so much better. What about a fantasy world caught in a world war style setting. How dos the presence of fantasy races change the playing field?

How do tanks and guns change the way a fantasy setting operates?
Would we get strange situations in fantasy, in a more modenr setting, where factions work together that otherwise wouldnt?

WHy are those not the questions you ask?
Why are the questions you ask so bad?

Your thread is not just bad.
Its ok to make a bad thread. Your thread is wasting potential!

>The other is a WW1 army with aviation from WW2 and early versions of tanks.
It's already shit and not worth a thread.

Did it ever occur to you that I have a setting for it and I didn't want to write wall of text explaining why these two factions fight each other or why various fantasy factions work together because it has no immediate influence on the fact that the war will occur?

Did it ever occur to you that the near-limitless amount of variables render the whole thing irrelevant?

That's why I made the fucking thread, to see if other people come up with things I didn't consider.

Why?

advances in aviation were reliant on technology that would allow for WW2 tanks. Real life isn't like Civilization, technology is so interwoven that if you have WW2 planes, you basically have to have WW2 tanks

It reminds me of GATE and I don't like it.
Also you don't really explain how this could happen, as another user said. Such huge differences are basically impossible if you take your world-building at least a bit seriously. Or you have a GATE-scenario. Which is shit, as I said.

Then I'll settle with WW1 aviation.

Like it didn't happen in our world, yes?

There was geographical isolation between the two sides. The fantasy side didn't develop tech because they relied on magic, while the tech side developed tech because they can't use magic.

how big of a distance is there between the two civilizations? Where are they fighting? What are the capabilities of the wizards, and magic in general? How are the logistics for the tech civilization?

Why are they even fighting in the first place?

On the information given I'm gonna bet on WW1 army. Zombies and meteor showers are bad, but bombers, artillery and mustard gas are a bitch.

Really to make an accurate judgment I'd need to know more about your fantasy army, especially your wizards. If they can use scrying to drop a meteor anywhere, anytime then you're fighting an entirely different war.

Please post a wall of text

And how the fuck were we supposed to know that? we cannot know what you don't TELL us, retard!

And frankly, who the fuck CARES about your special little setting? You presented us with two bullshit lists of horsecrap and expected us to treat it like the works of fucking Aristotle! How about next time, you think before you fucking squirt some of your jizz onto the fucking keyboard and hit 'post'? It wouldn't take MUCH though; just more than your mother clearly had when she conceived YOU.

>Do they have guns?
>Do they have cannons?
>Do they have a nice supply of fuel?
>Do they have parachutes?

if 2 or more are YES, fuck fantasy guys, they are fucked.

>tanks for undead
>night raids with WW1 style commandos
>out of nowhere, paratroppers
>snipe leaders from afar
>mortar gas heavy infantry and horses

Need more information. What kind of wizards, what kind of tanks, what kind of aircraft, what kind of equipment for the infantry? Do they have radios?

In order to get an accurate assessment of this, you need to go into specifics, since the wizards will either make or break this, all other things be damned.

Well, not true exactly. Pictured here is a WWI tank that would be getting air support from an F-16 if the situation called for it.

What kinda trolls? How strong are the wizards and necromancers? How OP is blessed armour and weapons etc?

Need more info on the fantasy guys, if they are good enough then they would steamroll but as it stands right now, probably a win for ww1-ww2 stuff

There's clearly not enough information on the fantasy side to make any reasonable judgement.
Seriously, "a mishmash of all kinds of fantastic creatures" doesn't tell us shit. Every fantasy setting has magic and creatures working in different ways.

How are we supposed to know what the 'wizards' are able to do? How destructive are their spells? Can they level cities waving one hand, teleport whole armies anywhere they want or stop time? For all we know they could have spells capable of disable any technology more advanced than a catapult in a radius of several miles, and then the ww1 army would be straight fucked.

And that's just the wizards. How about dragons? Are they like those in Reign of Fire, that can be reasonably torn in pieces by moderate anti-air firepower and planes, or are they just a huge middle finger to physics with steel-melting flames and cannonproof hides that fly faster than planes?

Fuck, even Orcs could have skin like kevlar for all we know.

Give us something to work with.

>There was geographical isolation between the two sides. The fantasy side didn't develop tech because they relied on magic, while the tech side developed tech because they can't use magic.
This doesn't make any sense, btw

Depends on how strong the magical users are on the fantasy side. Most of the fantasy army would be entirely ineffective due to artillery and machine guns, so it'd be reliant on what bs fantasy can use. WW1 saw the introduction of huge artillery capable of easily destroying 1800's forts - which were mostly immune to cannon fire. A wizards fireball as described in d&d would not even be a quarter as destructive as a shell from some of the artillery used in ww1

To me it sounds rather lame for a war to be decided by the presence or absence of a few high level wizards, so a better conflict might utilize Napoleonic era technology rather than WW1.

The uniform paintjob (including on moving parts), and fact that it was on a pedestal, made me skeptical of this tank being in use. Some digging confirmed that this is a display, not a weapon. See:

waziristanonafancy.blogspot.com/2013/09/the-british-renault-ft17.html

>The other is a WW1 army with aviation from WW2 and early versions of tanks.
These guys win.

Knights are useless against sustained machinegun and rifle fire, regardless of their blessed armor.

>M-Muh Meteor showers though
Artillery. What now?

>M-Muh scrying
WW2 aviation and early radar. What now?

>Necromancers
Walking piles of flesh. They're slow and stupid to boot, so just walking machine gun targets.

>Hordes of orcs and trolls
See above

>Elves with ents and dryads and other foresty shit
Look at what happened to the forests of Northern France.

>If you were a general, how would you engage the other army
My role model here would be Ferdinand Foch
>Trench warfare, but don't forget to attack when it's favorable
>Keep up the pressure, even when an attack is unsuccesful it forces the enemy to react to you rather than you to him. Winning terrain means better trench positions
>Don't stop attacking, even after the enemy tries to surrender
>Not even if your soldiers actually want to accept a surrender
>Take their capital, probably burn it down for good measure, THEN we can start negotiating

We don't want to invite the literal king of hell for a re-do of Versailles, now do we?
Is this a thinly veiled HFY thread?

>Knights are useless against sustained machinegun and rifle fire, regardless of their blessed armor.

That's making some interesting assumptions about what blessed armour can take.

After all, Paladins of the Order of the Wall are functionally immune to emplacement machine gun fire in Warmachine even at a full march.

You're right saying that a WW1 army would most likely stomp over a medieval fantasy army; the problem is, though, since fantasy could include ANYTHING to any level of bullshit magic handwave, it is too much of an impredictable factor to decide without knowing the setting's specific.

Just image necromancers that could turn incorporeal and summon armies of incorporeal ghosts that can nonetheless suck the life out of living creatures. Most fantasy settings that deal with such shit specify that only magic attacks could damage incorporeal creatures, and a ww1 army wouldn't have one. The fantasy army could literally include the Army of the Dead from LOTR for all we know, and they simply can't be stopped.

Or, as I said here, >For all we know they could have spells capable of disable any technology more advanced than a catapult in a radius of several miles, and then the ww1 army would be straight fucked.

>After all, Paladins of the Order of the Wall are functionally immune to emplacement machine gun fire in Warmachine even at a full march.
Well, good point. In that case I'd look at how all armies in WW1 were experimenting with medieval-inspired armor, something they'd probably do even harder when actually fighting a medieval armor. Those knights would end up charging into a trench (stupid) and surrounded by de facto men-at-arms wielding pretty much halfspears. Still a pretty bad situation for a knight to be in.

True dat. We don't know the specifics but anything incorporeal fucks them over. I'm going to assume that's not the case because it's so unfair, it makes the war a foregone conslusion even if the WW1/2 army outnumbers their enemy 10:1.

Setting (simplified):
Fantasy side is, in a nutshell, a continent-wide Holy Roman Empire. As in, they pretend they are one country but they are actually hundred different states who mostly do their own thing. Their army is a coalition army led by people who used to war against each other.

WW1 is one nation united under one leadership. They are descendants of the magicless slave race who escaped to a remote island centuries ago, where they developed technology as a counter to magic. Third to half of the race is still slaving in the Fantasy Empire and they are invading the mainland to liberate them.

Fantasy side still thinks of WW1 as slaves and has no intention to negotiate, at least not in the beginning. Also, some races in the Fantasy side (like vampires) have developed a parasitic relation with the slave race so they would be loath to see them freed.

Distance between lands is not large, like, WW1 island is further from the mainland than British Isles, but closer than Iceland. However, Fantasy has other shit to deal with throughout most of the centuries since slave race has escaped that they didn't bother searching for them.

Also, WW1 side completely trumps Fantasy side in the naval field, so they don't have to worry about bringing supplies from the mainland to the island.

WW1 is completely aware of the capabilities of the Fantasy side, while the Fantasy has no idea what to expect from WW1. In fact, Fantasy side is not even aware that invasion is coming until first divisions of the WW1 land on the mainland.

Fantasy:
Thanks to scrying, WW1 movements are open book for Fantasy side. However, Fantasy doesn't know what abilities tanks, aircrafts, artillery or machine guns have, so they can see the movement but don't know exactly what WW1 is doing.

4-5 most powerful wizards can each cast a spell with the destructive power of Jericho Missile from Iron Man 1, though they'll exhaust themselves for a day. Otherwise they'll just throw fireballs that explode in few meters diameter and throw a meteor that deals damage in few dozen meters of diameter, but that one has a long cooldown.

They also have poisonous gasses they can more easily control than the WW1 side, they can heal most non-fatal wounds except maiming, thought it takes time so it can't be used mid-combat except to just stop bleeding. They can also maintain a weak shielding for surrounding units which will make a quarter of the rifle bullets bounce off. Wizards need time to cast spells, so once in melee they can't use magic.

Necromancers can raise few dozen dead by the day, but they last only a week or so.

Knights make 10% of the Fantasy army but their blessed armor improves on the above mentioned shielding, so half of the bullets don't do any damage to them. It also provides passive self-regeneration of the same intensity as mentioned above. Their blessed weapons will be able to cut through any armour the WW1 side fields. Downside is that these knights are not 100% replaceable, so after every engagement there will be fewer of them unless nobody dies. Same thing with wizards.

If allowed to prepare a few days in advance, Fantasy side will be able to manipulate weather and terrain to their advantage.

Most of the big races, such as trolls and ogres, are just there to be huge bullet sponges who completely wreck shit in melee. It takes loads of bullets to bring them down, or a direct artillery hit. There are also golems and treants, against whom bullets are useless.

WW1:
This one is straight forward. WW1 tech level, for both navy and army. Aviation is more advanced, though I am not sure (thanks to ) how much advanced to make it believable. Tanks are early WW1 stuff. They also have cavalry, but there are no illusions about its importance and no prestige tied to it.

For communications, early radios are widely available.

The tech will improve if and as the war progresses.

Also, because WW1 has a pre-invasion knowledge of the Fantasy side, you are free to come up with weapons that would be believable for WW1 army to have prepared use against fantasy monsters like golems or zombies.

Necromancers are a non factor then, unless they can craft flesh golems or ghosts, a dozen dead a day is easy pickings

Knights in large enough numbers/ with support or surprise attack could cause a lot of damage

Treants could be fucked over by napalm and such or artillery, however if they manage to get close enough then they could potentionally wreck tanks or infantry although I expect they'll be focused down

Wizard jehrico missile thing is crazy good and could turn a battle, rest of their abilities are underwhelming, meteors might be good for causing havoc among enemy infantry lines

Not the machine guns, but explosives and artillery shells would turn the knights to mush even if their armor held up just fine due to force and shockwaves. In D&D, a level 20 fighter that would otherwise be a demigod can only take a few hits from higher caliber artillery before he succumbs to being crushed; I highly doubt those knights are level 20 anythings.

d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/vehicles/land-vehicles/tank

Here is that statblock to what is presumably a Churchill tank: as you can see, it is not something to be taken lightly, but it does suffer from a flaw that any crafty wizard can exploit; due to their size, tanks are capable of being immobilized by damaging the terrain that supports them and summoning craters and sheer walls; WWI era tanks might be harder to trap though, particularly the Mark series. Looking from a gamist prospective, perhaps the most dangerous thing about modernish forces is their access to high-caliber guns that can kill just about anything not immune to them reliably regardless of CR.

>Treants could be fucked over by napalm and such or artillery, however if they manage to get close enough then they could potentionally wreck tanks or infantry although I expect they'll be focused down

>AC 2; Hardness 10
>hp 1,920 (959)
>Base Save +3
>Melee ram 8d8
>Ranged 6 pounder +10 (8d6+1/×3), 3 machine guns +11/+6 (2d8+6/×4)

vs.

>AC 21, touch 7, flat-footed 21 (–1 Dex, +14 natural, –2 size)
>hp 114 (12d8+60)
>Fort +13, Ref +3, Will +9
>Defensive Abilities plant traits; DR 10/slashing
>Weaknesses vulnerability to fire
>Melee 2 slams +17 (2d6+9/19–20)
>Ranged rock +7 (2d6+13)

Ent is fucked

>Not the machine guns, but explosives and artillery shells would turn the knights to mush even if their armor held up just fine due to force and shockwaves. In D&D, a level 20 fighter that would otherwise be a demigod can only take a few hits from higher caliber artillery before he succumbs to being crushed; I highly doubt those knights are level 20 anythings.

Actually, paladins of the wall take armour piercing shots and high power shots BETTER than most of the warjacks in the game. Their only issue is 5 wounds but that's due to 'Not the main character'. In the RPG they can comfortably soak several hits from massive artillery, moreso if they have the self-healing ability.

Addendum with some numbers:

Massive, jack mounted auto-loading cannon designed to punch holes in armour: Pow 15

Paladin of the Wall (RPG version): 16 HP, 18 armour. 23 in Stone and Mortar Stance, can recover 7 HP with a feat point (Has 3, gets 1 more every time they are heroic/take a guy out)

Without any magical support they flat bounce the shot from something designed to punch holes in tanks over half the time and take trivial injuries in the rest of the cases. If you add in holy magic you can get that easily up another 2/3 points and make a complete mockery of everything short of a railway gun.

Yes, but OP's knights aren't Paladins of the Wall. From the sound of things, any Paladins would be neutral to the ordeal due to the fact that it's slavers fighting against slaves, if not side with the WWI side entirely.

Alright, now we have something to work on at least.

Question: What's the resources availability and production efficience of the WW1 side? Also, does the use of magic consume rare/costly/limited reagents? And how many wizards are there? Are we talking of dozens, hundreds, or thousands?

A wizard summoning a meteor sounds pretty capable of one-shotting a tank to me, and tanks are expensive and valuable assets.

Also, if the fantasy side has scrying and those 4-5 wizards can unleash such levels of destruction, I don't see the WW1 side ever making landfall at all. If they try to group up a fleet anywhere near the coast it'll be wiped out. It would then be reasonable to try and scatter their ships in small groups to distant points on the coast, but this could make several of them easy pickings for counter-attack groups. I suppose a meteor spell could sink a transport ship, and that's a lot of casualties again. Then they'd have to regroup in hostile land, while their opponents can scry their exact position, to make a bridgehead.

Even after landfall, the destructive potential of a spell of that type could wipe out an armoured division, so moving forces on land will be a nightmare too.

Of course it all depends on the range of those spells and wheter the wizards have invisibility/flight/teleportation tricks to complement them.

>Just image necromancers that could turn incorporeal and summon armies of incorporeal ghosts that can nonetheless suck the life out of living creatures. Most fantasy settings that deal with such shit specify that only magic attacks could damage incorporeal creatures, and a ww1 army wouldn't have one. The fantasy army could literally include the Army of the Dead from LOTR for all we know, and they simply can't be stopped.

I didn't consider this, but if there is a ghost army, and WW1 side knows it's there, how do you think they would fight the war, assuming their number is severely limited, like hundred to thousand ?

>For communications, early radios are widely available.

If the fantasy side does not have comparable communication infrastructure they lose. The tactical, strategic, and logistical implications of radios are downright staggering.

Call in priests and other religious figures for advice, try out as many different purification techniques as possible, and apply as much fire to the problem as feasible.

I'm guessing they have magical means to deliver instant message? They have scrying after all.

youtube.com/watch?v=NzYtOFOXS6g

?

The Fantasy side wasn't aware it was at war until WW1 already landed and took several cities. In fact, it is so disorganized that for a year after realizing it is under invasion it would not be able to mount a united front against WW1.

There are hundreds of wizards and necromancers, but they either mistrust or outright hate each other. The only reason they will work together is because slave-race winning threatens the entire order of their "empire". It's like French Revolution, where all monarchies opposed the revolutionaries, but their other interests prevented them from engaging them properly for years.

Fantasy army has potential strength of a million but until they got their shit together WW1 only had to deal with armies less than 10-50 thousand strong from individual principalities while they established control over a region in the mainland. WW1 can also count on the support of the slaves in the territories they conquer, which means a fifth to a half of the population depending on the region.

WW1 is a fully industrialized nation (like Germany or Britain during WW1 were) and have enough resources to keep their army supplied. They also captured resources during the first year of the invasion.

As said, between wizards they have instant communication, but otherwise their methods are pretty medieval.

Well fantasy side sounds pretty fucked then.

What's the background here?

Acid.

That seems to be the case with a lot of the old cartoons.

Yeah, they're gonna have a bad time. There aren't going to be huge amounts of wizards, and I doubt many of them are going to want to become glorified communications officers and they will have plenty of other shit to do. The lack of large scale instant communication is a major disadvantage.

One of the scariest things about guns and related weaponry is the ease of use. The time it takes to train a former slave to point a gun in the right direction is peanuts compared to anything like a bowman or swordsman.

>Call in priests and other religious figures for advice, try out as many different purification techniques as possible, and apply as much fire to the problem as feasible.

Wasn't there a Lovecraft story where, IIRC, couple of scientists exorcised a ghost-like being with some scientific method?

>The Fantasy side wasn't aware it was at war until WW1 already landed and took several cities. In fact, it is so disorganized that for a year after realizing it is under invasion it would not be able to mount a united front against WW1.
>There are hundreds of wizards and necromancers, but they either mistrust or outright hate each other. The only reason they will work together is because slave-race winning threatens the entire order of their "empire". It's like French Revolution, where all monarchies opposed the revolutionaries, but their other interests prevented them from engaging them properly for years.
This is fucking retarded, and stacking the deck to a stupid degree.

HOW THE FUCK ARE WE SUPPOSED TO COME UP WITH THINGS YOU DIDN'T CONSIDER IF WE DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT YOUR SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE THAT APPERENTLY GOES WITH YOUR BORING, STUPID AS FUCK, GENERIC, 'X meets Y' SCENARIO? JESUS TITTY-FUCKING CHRIST, I'VE MEET LITERAL STILL BORNS WHO ARE MORE INTELLIGENT THAN YOU. FUCK YOU OP, GO CHOKE ON A BAG OF DICKS.

Soothe your ovaries shitlord, OP has provided us enough details for an informed discussion to take place. If you can read you'll find them.

Yeah, it seems that way now when I see how many people believe the WW1 army would win.

I originally did it because I thought Fantasy army would have the advantage through the magic bullshitery so I gave initiative advantage to the WW1 side.

>deliberately giving a huge advantage to either side in a vs scenario
You are literally retarded.

Infighting, unless the side is OVERWHELMINGLY POWERFUL, is always a massive deckstacker. And the wzards and necros just aren't that overwhelming enough.

I'm sorry, but the stupidity of OP in the begining of the thread rustled my jimmies to a suprisong degree, forgive my earlier outburst, but my point still stands.

>scry
>find enemy officers
>nuke them from orbit woth magic

The fantasy army can buy time and even stack the odds against the WW1 army if they manage to take out key personnel in the slave uprising.

Alright, thread over I guess.

Because the way this is going is: WW1 wins, who cares, it was boring, the end, we have seen this thread a billion times.

The point is to kind of balance the scenario out or add a twist or something a little to make it even slightly interesting.

There's also a bit of a logical problem in the premise. Magic has to be objectively better than WW1 tech in this scenario for a number of reasons:
>They can field 1 million dudes without modern agriculture and logistics
>They can field ONE MILLION DUDES WITHOUT MODERN AGRICULTURE AND LOGISTICS
>ONE MILLION DUDES
>1,000,000 DUDES
>If the WW1 dudes don't have access to extensive networks of paved roads, a rail network, and almost modern mechanized agriculture + chemical fertilizer fielding 1 million fighting troops is almost impossible, you're looking at closer to American Civil War numbers (200,000 - 600,000), though even in that war rail networks were fucking super important.
>The fact that they would also need over a million dudes driving trucks and trains (without proper roads or pre-existing rails) to feed their million dudes with guns and shovels is going to create a bit of a problem.

Fantasy land presumably avoids that problem by their logistics being handled almost completely by civilians and them having the home field advantage, which isn't something a WW1 army can have until the invention of the Marine PX and KFC.

Maybe not an insurmountable problem, but even if they seized a shitload of fantasyland territory they're going to need a far bigger manpower pool and decades to set everything up before they can mount a proper offensive. Even if they don't get everything ready they can probably still win, but it will not be fun for anyone involved.

I think by this point it's pretty clear it is not a clear-cut vs. scenario. People wanted background and I provided it.

Anyway, infighting was only a thing in the initial arrival of WW1 and only served as an explanation for why WW1 army managed to establish a foothold on the mainland.

Fantasy army has got its shit together and is able of utilizing its full potential, though still not really familiar with what the other side is fielding (as in, they see a tank but don't know exactly what it's purpose and how it works).

What I wanted to know with this thread is how would you as a general of either army fight the war (like these anons did ), and maybe get some ideas or some problems pointed out.

So you're projecting. 'Kay

You said that the wizards can control the weather? If that's the case then putting them in a direct combat role seems like a waste of resources. A fog bank over the battlefield will make airplanes next to useless, and artillery will be dependent on foot soldiers with radios. A constant rainstorm will make trench warfare a living hell and cause tank to be lost to sinking mud.

Also remember that disease killed more than bullets on WW1 battlefields. A dozen zombies a day won't be effective in combat, but as carriers of infections diseases they will kill thousands

>If the WW1 dudes don't have access to extensive networks of paved roads, a rail network, and almost modern mechanized agriculture + chemical fertilizer fielding 1 million fighting troops is almost impossible, you're looking at closer to American Civil War numbers (200,000 - 600,000)
Pic related are the numbers for WW1. Two of the three largest armies only had one front to really focus on (though the French did send the French Armenia Legion to... well, Armenia, but their numbers were negligible compared to the armies on the Western Front for obvious reasons). Also keep in mind that Russia was technologically pretty backwards. Hell, even decades earlier the Franco-Prussian War saw the French fielding 900k men and the Prussians (and allies) 1.2 million.

For WW1 tech nations to field a million soldiers isn't a stretch at all, especially if we assume their professional army is joined by a force of conscripts. I also think that judging by the presence of WW1 tech and some WW2 tech, railroads and paved roads are a given.

The only real problem the WW1 guys would have is finding a beachhead to land and expand from. Supplies won't be a problem from that point onward as the OP stated somewhere in this thread that the WW1 guys have naval supremacy.

What's more worrying isn't the tech level of WW1, but how crazy the magitech must be to match it.

Maybe... chill

This, fog for aircraft and artillery or armies approach, constant thunderstorm/ hail/ snow for any enemy forces, will be Russian winter

Also this, how much control do the necros have over their dead? How much intelligence do the dead have? Could they lay dormant, be recovered and break out of the morgue? (although I assume the ww1 army are aware of necros) but having swathes of corpses walk into the ww1 camp and spread disease or infect drinking water is a good way to go

The fantasy army.

Because as much as you go MUH WW1 /k/ shit.

You literally described a Wizard able to summon the dead, summon heaven;y objects to bombard the enemy and worst of all. SCRY THE ENEMIES POSITION.

Let me tell you how Logistics in War is the literal line between victory or defeat.

>Wizards can literally scry the enemy
>WW army completely aware of the capabilities of the fantasy side

/k/ autists everyone.

Wars that happen for no reason only are interesting to 40k fans and children. There's no weight, no context. Boring.

This is why all of your campaigns involving wars that you tried weren't anything special and didn't get many people to enjoy it any better then they enjoyed anything else.

Fantasy army without context.

>Blessed Armour on the knights implies they have a deity on their side.

>Wizards able to perform long range bombardment with 100% pinpoint accuracy without any of the logistical nightmares Artillery must face

>Necromancers able to turn the dead against WW1/2 army causes a huge Moral blow to the WW1/2 army instantly.

>Trolls practically immune to small arms fire need to be dealt with specifically by flamethrowers and gas.

>Ents literally the perfect recon and ambush troops in forested areas

Basically if you want to get down to it, it's a WW1/2 army vs an army with Modern day capabilities.

> how crazy the magitech must be to match it

This is the question I want answered.

So you're a wizard chilling in your tower, unraveling the secrets of the universe. One day, a courier shows up and tells you 3 things. Your homeland is being invaded, you now have state sponsorship, and you have an excuse to throw your already questionable sense of right and wrong out the window like the contents of a chamber pot.

What horrors do you inflict upon the enemy?

Cloudkill.

Control the cloud with weather control

Drop it on the enemy trenches.

Magical self-replicating plague that burns the enemy from the inside out and then turns them into undead? Oh and it's contracted by it touching your skin and eats through cloth and metal in anything from seconds to minutes.

The issue with fantasy vs. reality is that unless you define some hard and fast rules for the fantasy side, they have any number of "I win" buttons. And the moment you start restricting them, things swing HEAVILY in favour of the guys with machine guns.

But long story short, OP doesn't have the first clue what he's talking about or how to actually make a fucking setting.

This guy here. I was having a really rough night, so sorry for being pointlessly confrontational.

My point still stands however that unless you TELL us this massive backstory and justification you apparently have, we have nothing to go on. Do please explain how in the living HELL a fantasy army (which I'm guessing is roughly equivalent to the high middle ages europe) is able field a million men under arms, all professional soliders, when the third crusade had only about 27,000 from all of europe, most of which being glorified pilgrims and levies, rather than knights and full-time warriors.

>blessed armor improves on the above mentioned shielding, so half of the bullets don't do any damage to them
So it takes TWO bullets to completely put a knight out of action for the next few months, to the rest of his life?

A WW1-era machine gun had a rate of fire of 600 rounds a minute or more. Your knights ain't shit.

>Thanks to scrying, WW1 movements are open book for Fantasy side
>Fantasy doesn't know what abilities tanks, aircrafts, artillery or machine guns have
...How does that make even the faintest fucking lick of sense? If you can see the thing and see it working, you can at least guess at what it is capable of.

>fireballs that explode in few meters diameter and throw a meteor that deals damage in few dozen meters of diameter
>long cooldown
So they're objectively less useful and less numerous than an artillery battery or a guy with a bag of grenades

>poisonous gasses
Gas masks. Natch.

>Necromancers can raise few dozen dead by the day
Sooo... Woo. A few get back up and get killed all over again. Big deal.

>Fantasy side will be able to manipulate weather and terrain to their advantage
And they ALWAYS know the enemy movements? FINALLY, something that will slow (and ONLY slow) the WW1 guys

>trolls and ogres
>golems and treants
Sooo tanks then? Tanks. They had tanks in WW1 and blew them up too.

You've still given us fucking nothing man. Your setting isn't interesting or new and presents absolutely nothing even slightly challenging or... Anything. It's just there. You did a thing, so congratulations? But don't pretend it's even slightly impressive, if you're judging it by objective standards.

My point still stands however that unless you TELL us this massive backstory and justification you apparently have, we have nothing to go on. Do please explain how in the living HELL a fantasy army (which I'm guessing is roughly equivalent to the high middle ages europe) is able field a million men under arms, all professional soliders, when the third crusade had only about 27,000 from all of europe, most of which being glorified pilgrims and levies, rather than knights and full-time warriors.

Its fantasy, why cant they have millions? You sound so fucking boring

It'd be fine if there WAS just fantasy, but by including a 'realistic' faction too, ONE side has to worry about industry, logistics and the sheer NUMBERS needed to field an army and keep them supplied; so we can't help but see that and then ask, "So what about the other side?"

You have two paths you can take when creating something. Either don't bother fleshing ANYTHING out and just let people nod and accept it; or you have to flesh EVERYTHING out and justify EVERYTHING, or people will notice where you just got lazy and said, "Fuckit."

Despite the hostility from a lot of people, I actually got what I wanted out of this thread.

Thanks Veeky Forums!

Well OP, this is a weird situation to plan for but I'll try.

As the invading army my priorities will be setting up an ideal landing zone for my troops and supplies and blitzing with tanks to secure the land I'll need to set up a bunch of well defended airstrips. By the time I have them set up I would expect some form of organized resistance to start slowing my advance so I'd pull my tanks back and have my infantry advance one trench at a time while setting up bunkers along the way.

At this point it's mostly just preparing for the inevitable counterattack. A fantasy army a million strong would take a long time to raise and even longer to train to fight with cohesion. By the time it did come I would have a trench network miles deep and I would've bombed everything resembling a supply line within 200 miles of my trenches.

If all goes well the counterattack will be slowed, halted, encircled, pummeled with artillery and eventually crushed by a division of tanks. Humanity, Fuck Yeah.
If I were the general of the fantasy army I'd laugh, long and hard, then have my wizards wave their hands and make everyone with the rank of lieutenant or higher disappear. Then I'd head in and round up all my new slaves that were nice enough to deliver themselves

the guy wants to know how the two armies would tactically reason in a battle against eachother, not a novella to be written for him. try not to be a fucking cunt, sweetie

>my point still stands
What point? That you're angry, confused and trying to answer the wrong question?

>/k/ autists everyone
>no mention of /k/
?????

No, that it was retarded for him to expect us to give him any meaningful answers to his question when he supplied nothing about his setting or the scenario of this apperent war, then OP gets tushie troubled when someone calls him out on this.

What's a spear of any kind going to do to full plate?

Look for the joints and stab them? A knight who somehow finds himself in a trench isn't exactly in the best position. If worst comes to worst, you can always unload a clip or two on his ass.

Whatever you go for, you don't need to instantly kill him. Just put him in a position that makes it impossible to keep fighting, as cruel as it might be.

WW1 army could only advance very slow. Their pioneers would have to build modern infrastructure for them.

Apart from that fantasy army is utterly fucked. Especially because the slaves are on their side.That is a huge guerilla army working for the WW1 side that has access to critical infrastructure of fantasy land.

The fantasy army needs to be concentrated on few points to even have a shot (and because they can´t really stretch out due to communication and nature of medieval warfare). I can see some victories for the fantasy army due to magic and luck but out of 10 battles 7/8 are a sure victory for WW1 army. Especially when the uber mages aren´t present.

Also WW1 army can prepare properly because of proper knowledge. Think industrial produced heavy armor, wide use of flamethrowers etc.

Your magic people are fucked. They got weak ass magic that will do fuck all. Even the damned necromancers are bloody useless with such limitations. Normally the necromancers if they had any power to them would be unbelievably valuable to the war effort on a similar level to the summoners.

Chem weapons and fire bombs will also rape all your horde type troops even the big bastards(who are even a bigger target) will get annihilated by the stuff. That isn't even getting into the power of machine guns and artillery. Even knights will get taken down as their magic armor wont do much against gas or so much firepower. They'll be little more then a joke.

Your magi magical shields are also shit to the point of being utterly useless. If they can't even deal with a few bullets. they don't even need to use artillery just machine guns is going to tear your troops to giblets.

Like goddamn its gonna be a one sided as fuck slaughter fest.

Fucking hell you don't even NEED to deploy tanks, artillery, or planes.

Machine guns alone would turn the tide of battle regularly.

They are now even more fucked.

Scrying can only go so far and support magics are not described.

They got naval superiority and guess where most people live?

They don't even have to go that far inland to utterly fuck them beyond repair.

If i was a fantasy general I would fucking surrender if couldn't rely upon support magics and guerrilla warfare. Straight up battles are flat out not an option.

If i was tech general I would rely upon naval superiority to rape all the coastal cities into submission and entrench ourselves along the coasts. We will rely upon the water to resupply and destroy armies sent out. Meanwhile we will also send planes to harass target and scout inland. I will also befriend an admiral to cover my ass.

If by some strange miracle they don't surrender I will then prepare for the logistical clusterfuck that will be an inland invasion.